PDA

View Full Version : Boating Laws

Brn85ss
05-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Well us folks here in CA got hit with 2 new boating laws this year.I just happened to read about them by chance.The state does a terrible job with letting the public know about new laws until your on the water.How hard can it be to send something out in our reg. or even on a board at the lakes.Also many of the lakes have different rules hard to keep track of.Anyway here is some new info for us CA boaters.www.dbw.ca.gov I'm sure some lakes are good about this but none I have been to lately.

rodltg2
05-10-2005, 02:03 PM
is it the noise monitoring and teak surfing? neither one affects me .

Brn85ss
05-10-2005, 02:24 PM
RODLTG2 it does have some effect because were going to have to put a sticker on the stearn and on the dash for the gas warning.I guess if were boarded we can be fined for not displaying the sticker. I'm not sure i'm going to put the sticker on,it's just plain stupid!I guess if your on a private lake no worries.

AirJunky
05-10-2005, 02:27 PM
I can't figure out how the noise law would effect anyone on this board.
The teak surfing law is ridiculous. Of all the places, California needs to thin the herd more than anyone! :toast:

rodltg2
05-10-2005, 02:28 PM
i think i already have one . i moslty use on private lake , but i do like going out on public water on the weekends to have fun with friends.

Brn85ss
05-10-2005, 02:31 PM
I don't think the noise level should bother anyone on the board.It might slow down the launch ramp,because they are going to test right at the ramp.So they say,We'll see.

flyinryn
05-10-2005, 02:35 PM
my undstanding of that law was that if you are going to sell your boat or when you buy a new boat the stickers need to be in place. Rod you should be fine, it is just the old school guys that need to worry.

Also like a stupid sticker is going to stop someone from doing something.

Look at all the stickers and lights they put in a car to wear your seat belt and there are people out there that still dont wear them.

Some dumb kid gets killed and a mother with nothing else to do on her hands all of a sudden she has a cause. peolpe need to get a life.

look how many people die in cars, but we dont stop people from driving.

i dont have anger i really dont.
i do feel a little better now.

Granite_33
05-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Some of the laws they have are a bit over the top in CA.

I was out with my brother last year at Folsom. First surprise was the yellow flag that a human over the age of 12(?) had to hold up in the air whenever we had someone in the water. Talk about a source of frustration. Who's got the flag? Where is it? There it is! Hold it up! Higher!

He spent 20 minutes trying to get a spring release to work on a tube for his kids. 20 minutes of swearing, yelling, etc. All for a release on a tube? You kiddin me? :uglyhamme

Feel good legislation is one thing, following up to see if it actually helps anything is another. Could they measure it beforehand? Can they measure it now? Any benefits besides a feather in someones cap?

As for teak surfing......Isn't there a long standing law stating that all persons must be in the boat and must be seated while the boat is in motion? Thats the law in Michigan. I can't see hanging on to the swim platform begin dragged 20 - 25 MPH as being legal to begin with. Especially if you're not wearing a life vest!! AirJunky's got it right. Let it thin the herd.

:mad:

sfitzgerald351
05-10-2005, 04:39 PM
I actually like the skier down flag.... Prevents more than a few morons from coming too close to your boat when you have a skier in the water. Especially useful in the evening when the sun is in your eyes and it's hard to see a persons head bobbing above the water. At Tahoe my folks have this great flag mount that is on the gunwhale. You lift the flag up and it stays put. When you get going again, you pull a little knob and the flag goes down. Having a person hold the flag is a big pain in the arse.

I understand why they make rules... because there are lots of idiots out there that have no common sense. But you sometimes wonder if the lack of common sense has come from having so many rules... In any event it seems like they always come up with a bunch of dumb rules every year. Too bad most of them don't actually accomplish what they were meant to.

X2M
05-10-2005, 05:09 PM
Some dumb kid gets killed and a mother with nothing else to do on her hands all of a sudden she has a cause. peolpe need to get a life.

Flyinryn,
Could you please clarify what you mean by this statement? Are you talking about the teak surfing law?

jimmer2880
05-10-2005, 05:30 PM
I can't figure out how the noise law would effect anyone on this board.
The teak surfing law is ridiculous. Of all the places, California needs to thin the herd more than anyone! :toast:

I'm with you. Perhaps they need to ENcourage teak surfing in that state.

Thin the Heard!

flyinryn
05-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Flyinryn,
Could you please clarify what you mean by this statement? Are you talking about the teak surfing law?

what are part are you talking about?

Yes i am talking about Teak Surfing.

X2M
05-10-2005, 06:13 PM

I guess I just want to know what you meant by this? Because a kid dies a mom is just supposed to just get a life? Was this law created because a mom didn't want others to die this way and feel the same pain she is feeling? I am not trying to be antagonistic or anything, ok? :) I just wanted to understand your venting. I agree that California is way over the top sometimes with the laws too.

rodltg2
05-10-2005, 06:18 PM
last year a 12y/o kid died at folsom while teak surfing. he passed out from the fumes then drowned. the parents let this kid do it without a lifejacket and did not pay attention when he let go and drowned. so instead of blaming themselves for it they blame the boat maunufacturer for not warning them and placing a sticker on the back of the boat. even though it was behind a "calabria", when the story came out in the paper they mentioned " mastercraft and like boats" .

X2M
05-10-2005, 06:27 PM
last year a 12y/o kid died at folsom while teak surfing. he passed out from the fumes then drowned. the parents let this kid do it without a lifejacket and did not pay attention when he let go and drowned. so instead of blaming themselves for it they blame the boat maunufacturer for not warning them and placing a sticker on the back of the boat. even though it was behind a "calabria", when the story came out in the paper they mentioned " mastercraft and like boats" .

I remember hearing about that on the news. Being the mother of two I know how hard it is to accept the blame when you let them get hurt. They should have stepped up and accepted it too. Were these parents the ones that spearheaded the law?

rodltg2
05-10-2005, 06:40 PM
i dont really know, although they did sue calabria. i dont know what the outcome was if any. it just seems silly to me , where did they think the fumes were going to go. they broke 2 laws by doing this in the first place. riding on the back deck while in motion and not using a life jacket. it seems like in california especially , no one wants to be responsible for their own mistakes. its always someone elses fault.

DanC
05-10-2005, 06:43 PM
They were breaking two laws when the kid drowned. Do they think a third law would have saved his life?

Leroy
05-10-2005, 06:51 PM
The only problem is teak surfing it isn't effective enough to thin the herd, only adds to it! :D :uglyhamme

I would like to hear a teak surfer speak out on here!

erkoehler
05-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Never done it before, what is so great about it?

rodltg2
05-10-2005, 06:54 PM
i dont know never done it. only time i stand on the back deck while boat is in motion is to take leak if the water is too cold to jump in.

flyinryn
05-10-2005, 07:18 PM
Well-said Rod.

i am just saying instead of taking responsibility for there actions it is better to put the blame on someone else.
same thought as when we leave kids in a car, and the car window gets shut on the kids neck. it not the parents fault for leaving the kid in the car unsupervised, its the car manufactures fault for making a window that gos up and down.

even though there are millions of cars on the road and it happens a couple of times a year. but it is still the manufactures fault.

I guess i should change my statement from before to people donít take responsibility for anything. just as long as the can pass the buck to someone else.

there are little hazards signs all over our boats, do you make anyone get in a read any of them. have you actually read any of them yourseld. What the hell is a sticker going to do except relieve the manufactures from the responsibility.

AirJunky
05-10-2005, 07:41 PM
there are little hazards signs all over our boats, do you make anyone get in a read any of them. have you actually read any of them yourseld. What the hell is a sticker going to do except relieve the manufactures from the responsibility.
No their isn't..... peeled'em off myself! :woohoo:

flyinryn
05-10-2005, 07:50 PM
suck a rebel arnt you.
:headbang:

rodltg2
05-10-2005, 08:09 PM
how about this for a warning label......................

X2M
05-10-2005, 08:19 PM
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme

jimmer2880
05-11-2005, 06:59 AM
The only problem is teak surfing it isn't effective enough to thin the herd, only adds to it! :D :uglyhamme

I would like to hear a teak surfer speak out on here!

Ok - I surf the teak. It does real wonders on a very sore back (300 hp Jacusi - or however it is spelled :uglyhamme )

We usually do it while pulling our slalom surface bouys. Just hang on, sweep out, grab the ball, throw it in the boat & drag to the next set. We can pull an entire course in 5 minutes.

But - since we only hang out back there for 5 minutes, guess we don't inhale enough Co to thin the heard.

Ohh yea - also, when it's done, there is someone else sitting on the back deck making sure everyone is safe.

But - like I said - it does wonders to the back, quad, whatever is sore.

jimmer2880
05-11-2005, 07:04 AM
Ok - I surf the teak. It does real wonders on a very sore back (300 hp Jacusi - or however it is spelled :uglyhamme )

We usually do it while pulling our slalom surface bouys. Just hang on, sweep out, grab the ball, throw it in the boat & drag to the next set. We can pull an entire course in 5 minutes.

But - since we only hang out back there for 5 minutes, guess we don't inhale enough Co to thin the heard.

Ohh yea - also, when it's done, there is someone else sitting on the back deck making sure everyone is safe.

But - like I said - it does wonders to the back, quad, whatever is sore.

I guess I should state that I in no way encourage such an extremely dangerous practice.

One also should not bumper-surf, J-walk, or even open a window for that fact. After thinking about this more - I have decided to start digging out for my bomb shelter for the big meteor strike that's going to cause the next ice age.

Granite_33
05-11-2005, 04:32 PM
I guess I should state that I in no way encourage such an extremely dangerous practice.

One also should not bumper-surf, J-walk, or even open a window for that fact. After thinking about this more - I have decided to start digging out for my bomb shelter for the big meteor strike that's going to cause the next ice age.
Soooo.........

Whens that next ice age due to hit? I want to make sure I get my sets in before the lake ices over for the next 10,000 years. :uglyhamme

rodltg2
05-11-2005, 04:47 PM
screw it , im going teak surfing today

Scot
05-11-2005, 04:52 PM
sounds like a growing sport.... how do you do it?

jimmer2880
05-11-2005, 07:51 PM
screw it , im going teak surfing today

:toast: Cheers!