PDA

View Full Version : Ballast pump help

vegashomeexpert
11-25-2008, 10:38 AM
I replaced my 3 ballast pump impellors a few weeks ago and used the boat once since then. the filled and emptied fine (great actually!). Went to pump some rv antifreeze in this past weekend as my final winterization project and all of the pumps will run in the empty mode, but nothing happens in the fill mode. It is like the impellers are too tight in the housing or the motors are too weak to flip the splines to go in the other direction. Any ideas?

Sodar
11-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Did you install the black or yellow impellers?

vegashomeexpert
11-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Black. That is what was previously in them but in the shape they were in, I am surprised they pulled any water at all. Is yellow better?

BOATNGUYNE
11-25-2008, 10:09 PM
The Yellow ones are the new style and yes, they are better, but the black ones will work too... The Black ones dont last as long.....

vision
11-25-2008, 11:11 PM
When running them to load your anti-freeze, was the boat running or were you running off just the batteries? The pumps draw a significant current and when the boat is not running, the impellars run much slower. I suppose with brand new, potentially stiff impellars, if you were running with just battery power the impellars may have a tough time flipping the spines to run the other directions. Just a guess.

Jerseydave
11-26-2008, 03:39 AM
Soak your impellers with binding lube, shampoo or dish soap and try again.

If your battery is weak, hook a battery charger to it while running pumps.

vegashomeexpert
11-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the input. Yes, I did hook up the battery charger and gave it a shot and had no luck. I think giving them a good lube will work if it is not something electrical. Is there a separate relay that all 3 would be hooked to to cause them to reverse direction? There is a slight strayning noise coming from them when one is switched to fill and the battery voltage meter drops a tad so I am thinking there is just not enough power to flip the new splines and maybe too much friction inside the dry housings.

KHall
11-26-2008, 01:26 PM
I have the black impellers. When its cold i have to run in the one direction (last cycle fill or empty), for a while to warm them up, and then immediatly reverse the switch. I reverse the switch without a pause inbetween directions. This seems to work the best for me. If i pause inbetween fill and empty they never seem to work reliably.

dmayer84
11-26-2008, 01:41 PM
I really do not like the new yellow impellers and want to switch back to the black ones. I had a hard time winterizing this year with the yellow ones for the first time.