PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboard recommendation

C.R Ward
11-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Can anyone offer a choice for a good beginner wakeboard? I just started boarding last summer. I can cross wakes and barely get the board out of the water. I have been using a friends board, but want to get my own over the winter. Thanks for any help.

KnoxX2
11-24-2008, 09:16 AM
I like the CWB brand. Check them out online. I would look at the CWB Pure

russlars
11-24-2008, 09:28 AM
Check out the Hyperlite "Motiv" or "State". Both of them are great boards with the Motiv being more beginner oriented.

damaged442
11-24-2008, 09:28 AM
I still like the Liquid Force Trip. I have taught numerous newbies with it, and I have friends that are much better than I throwing inverts with it. It handles everything I can throw at it. They've had the design out for years, so that also has to account for something.

ShamrockIV
11-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Ronix. go ahead and get one you can use awhile they have the vauly which is a good beginner board. but as knox says the cwb are good too.

aremsing
11-24-2008, 09:53 AM
I asked the very same question earlier this year. I went with the Hyperlite State, great board, and supposedly will be good for later wakeboarding too.

jamica joe
11-24-2008, 10:09 AM
My son (16) is a big kid, 6'2" / 245lbs., and has never enjoyed skiing... Mostly due to the fact that until this summer our I/O had a hardtime pulling him up; now with the 205V no problems. What would be the best combination skis for him and / or a starter wakeboard?

Itsme
11-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Go with the Liquid Force Trip - it was at one time a high perfomance model but has been 'tuned down' to accomodate a wider variety of riders and abilities.
It would be a great board that you could grow with and comes at a nice price with boots of $299.
Good luck!!

corey
11-24-2008, 11:40 AM
I'll second the Liquid Force Trip. Its an awesome all around board that is easy to ride yet will let you progress for quite some time.

Best thing about Liquid Force are their bindings. I upgraded to a pair of their Vantage boots last year and could not be happier. Suuuuuper comfortable, finally my feet don't fall asleep while riding!

RexDog1
11-24-2008, 11:59 AM
All wakeboards sucků.. Tell you ride the one you like, rent rent rent tell you find one you like
I like CWB they are slower boards, but very nice, and I rode a Ronix One 142 for two days, and I did like it!!!!!But it may not be a good starter board, what is your height and weight ?

ULMboarder
11-24-2008, 12:05 PM
+1 for the hyperlite state. I was same way. started on my buddies crappy board. I wanted a new one so i got the hyperlite state. im 6'4" 240. i ride a 142 and love it. Im doin some inverts and stuff while still ridin the state. all i have done is stepped up and got some better boots. Its a super stable board with a 3-stage rocker which tends to help you boost a little higher. but take the fins off and its a whole new animal. thats how i ride it now and i love it. edges well with consistent pop. its just a super all around board.

I now work at a obrien shop. another good board that you might consider is the Obrien Clutch or the vision. its a 2008 model though. I dont believe they are making the vision in 2009. if you have any questions just pm me and i will help the best i can.

wakeX2wake
11-24-2008, 12:09 PM
try to find something w/ a continuous rocker for a beginner... and whatever board size rang you're in if you're in between two go w/ the larger board... main things to consider are shape (or rocker), weight, and size... once you find a shape you like (whether it be a continuous, three stage, abrupt three stage, a hybrid,, etc etc) then the brands come... personally i prefer a fast board w/ an aggressive pop and easy to break loose... so i'm riding the Ronix Ibex...

this is the time of year to be buying 07 pro models... they're generally a better made board... lighter stronger and more versatile... go w/ a tuned down pro model if it were me... Liquid Force Lyman, Ronix Covin are good ones to start w/... personally i'm not a fan of CWB but i think its a hot cold thing... they're just too slow for my liking

Ronix in my personal opinion has the most comfortable bindings out there... you're definately safe w/ the cell or the one boot... they're great... i won't ride another... if someone has a more comfortable binding they probably haven't tried the ronix bindings

C.R Ward
11-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I called my friend, and he said that his board is a 3-4 year old hyperlite motive 144. How would that compare to these recommendations? I weigh 200. I don't know much about the rocker, but the fins are large on that board.

Is 144 too big. I see a lot of 142 recommendations. Is 2 cm (it is cm's right) a big deal?
I guess I have some shopping to do.

russlars
11-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I called my friend, and he said that his board is a 3-4 year old hyperlite motive 144. How would that compare to these recommendations? I weigh 200. I don't know much about the rocker, but the fins are large on that board.

Is 144 too big. I see a lot of 142 recommendations. Is 2 cm (it is cm's right) a big deal?
I guess I have some shopping to do.
When my boys upgraded from the Hyperlite Motiv to the State they definitely improved their skills. Funny thing is, everyone who has ever ridden the State loves it, including myself. I don't know all the terms, but for me it holds an edge better than other boards and is very stable. It doesn't feel like it is going to slip out from underneath me all of the time!
The board is slightly irregular shaped to improve your toeside.:twocents:

ShamrockIV
11-24-2008, 01:55 PM
2 cm actually will make a difference depending on the board

wakeX2wake
11-24-2008, 02:17 PM
i'd go w/ the bigger board... it will be more forgiving for you and unless you're doing super tech tricks (ie a 7+ spin or something idiotic like a 009)you're really not going to be bother by the extra length at 200 lbs...

same concept as a slalom ski... the smaller the quicker and less stable... but in slalom where that "instability" more or less helps you rip turns harder on a wake board the idea is to use all the board to get your butt up in the air and then have enough to make for a nice stable landing... basically you won't go wrong w/ a 144... you could ride a size down if you want but you're going have a bit less forgiving ride...

corey
11-24-2008, 05:52 PM
The Motive is a good all around board, it is the old old Murray Pro Shape. Very forgiving, does everything well. It has a continuos rocker pattern, no molded in fins (If it still has the big 2" cleavers it came with you may want to check out some different fins)

corey
11-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Meant to add that the motive does not have much rocker, it works good on small to medium sized wakes. If you typically ride a fairly large wake it wants to punch a hole in the top of the wake.

jamica joe
11-26-2008, 10:33 AM
My son (16) is a big kid, 6'2" / 245lbs., and has never enjoyed skiing... Mostly due to the fact that until this summer our I/O had a hardtime pulling him up; now with the 205V no problems. What would be the best combination skis for him?

corey
11-26-2008, 12:32 PM
A pair from www.waterskis.com !!!

If you plan on using the combo skis as a slalom ski also I would recommend the Obrien Performer Combos are awesome, they have a little more supportive bindings and an aluminum fin.

If you are looking for somthing a little more basic I would go with the H.O. Sports Excel combos. Very adjustable in terms of foot size and can accept a trainer bar if neccessary. If you will be using them for teaching noobs a lot I would recommend the tail weights, they seem a little goofy but they really work awesome. When teaching you only have a short amount of time to get someone up before they lose interest, the tail weights get them up the first time most of the time!

denverd1
12-10-2008, 12:56 PM
try to find something w/ a continuous rocker for a beginner... and whatever board size rang you're in if you're in between two go w/ the larger board... main things to consider are shape (or rocker),

Shape and rocker are different, but rocker is the most important aspect of a beginner board. Get an agressive or even abrupt continuous rocker and you're going to HATE getting booted. YOu'll love the landings even more.

Trip, state, motive, CWB pure are all good starters.