PDA

View Full Version : Calculus text book author dies

Leroy
05-10-2005, 01:55 AM
Really a legend in calculus, if you took it in college you almost for certain used his book. As a BSEE with math minor, I still have his red calc book with me, thank goodness!

erkoehler
05-10-2005, 01:56 AM
Speaking of college books, my text books this term cost 200 dollars less than my tuition. Truly sad...

Leroy
05-10-2005, 02:02 AM
That does sound bad for a "off quarter". Normally fall is the big book buy. How much is tuition? Quarters/semesters?

I don't think I spent much over $200 any quarter on books!

erkoehler
05-10-2005, 02:06 AM
I am on Tri-mesters! So, we buy books in September, January, and April. Right now, at the community college where I am taking courses it is only 50.00 per credit hour, so approx. 250.00 per class. Then there is ATLEAST one book for each class costing a MINIMUM of 100.00. Sometimes more than 1 book and more than 100.00.

The private college I take the majority of my courses at is much more expensive, I don't even want to think about those prices.

It adds up quick, but will pay off in the end.

jayocheskey
05-10-2005, 02:51 AM
You made a WISE choice in going to the community college at least for your basics. I went to a Private school. While I loved my 5 years their -- I began to repay my student loans about a year ago. OUCH, that crap ain't cheap.

jsonova99
05-10-2005, 07:42 AM
Really a legend in calculus, if you took it in college you almost for certain used his book. As a BSEE with math minor, I still have his red calc book with me, thank goodness!

What was his name, I had a ton of calculus starting back in High school, I'm a EE, too.

erkoehler
05-10-2005, 08:12 AM
As long as algebra is taught in school, there will be prayer in school.
--Cokie Roberts

east tx skier
05-10-2005, 11:32 AM
I knocked out about two courses in Community College each summer. Jay's right, it's a good way to get those core courses under your belt. Also kept me on the four year plan.

LakePirate
05-10-2005, 11:38 AM
Speaking of college books, my text books this term cost 200 dollars less than my tuition. Truly sad...

Text book prices are going up because of budgetary cuts in colleges and universities. In an attempt to find money in other places, department heads are taking money for teaching aids and other things if they approve a new text book. In doing so the book publishing company gets to sell new books because the used books are not available. This also hurts when you go to sell your book back. I went to Georgia Southern University and my roomate took algebra 7 times....he bought 5 different books....Algebra dosen't change that much in 5 years.

Sorry for the thread jack.

lakes Rick
05-10-2005, 11:41 AM

I worked for a used text book corp, Budgetext, for three years.. Multi billion dollar a year business.. Yes I said used...

When at a convention, the sales reps from the big publishers wore Armani suits ( Really).. Its a real grease your palm affair..

Look at your texts.. Most of the time your teacher or Prof. has written them. New additions?? Usually one or two new words and a picture maybe.. BIG BUCKS and the teachers are in on it also....

"Its all about MONEY".......

east tx skier
05-10-2005, 11:41 AM
How about ebay? This wasn't so much an option when I was in school. How about now?

LakePirate
05-10-2005, 11:43 AM
There are some online bookstores but you never know what book you will need until syllabus day. Which I never attended. :friday: