PDA

View Full Version : anyone dig there own lake?

rodltg2
05-09-2005, 06:44 PM
i have been toying with the idea of selling my house and buying some land to build a lake for awhile now. doesnt look good since the cost and availibilty of land where i live. i have howvever been searching more and more lately and have become a little more serious. i am not i a big hurry although the longer i wait the harder and more expensive it will get. i dont want to run a club or sell memberships . maybe grow fish. i would like to subdivide to at least one other person but no more than 3.anyone on this board do it and have any stories or advice to share?

MasterMason
05-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Give a shout to Robert Averyt. he built his own lake

Leroy
05-09-2005, 07:01 PM
I would love to do this and am searching the newspaper each week for land. Would like to but 30-50 acres which you can get for 1-3k/acre still out from the city.

Attached is a design I did for myself earlier after reading a lot of stuff on the matter.

rodltg2
05-09-2005, 07:39 PM
i would love to buy land at that price. im looking at 500-800K just for bare land. no well, no sewer , no power. it's looking like no lake. :(

rick s.
05-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Radar Lake in Bellingham, WA, home of the Hyperlite team, is a man-made lake. The edges of the lake are gently sloped which absorbs (does not reflect) the boat wakes.

André
05-09-2005, 08:09 PM
I have been thinking about that for a while too.Pass one today,1875 feet,kind of short,but a real nice place.The guy also built a really big house on the lakefront and he is all by himself.In my neighborhood i can buy 75 acres for about 80 000 $ CDN.
I also have this skiing partner who just built a big cottage on our lake and own a big excavation company.I'm really nice to him...LOL

André
05-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Radar Lake in Bellingham, WA, home of the Hyperlite team, is a man-made lake. The edges of the lake are gently sloped which absorbs (does not reflect) the boat wakes.
This is where they shooted the 2005 Prostar commercial shown in the Rewind DVD.Many pictures in Waterski mag too.Amasing site!!!

east tx skier
05-09-2005, 08:13 PM
Come to Texas. Buy my father-in-law's ranch.

rodltg2
05-09-2005, 08:18 PM
i probably would have a better chance. unfortunatley we just put an offer on our new office/warehouse. i am here at least till i make my millions and sell :D

André
05-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Come to Texas. Buy my father-in-law's ranch.
How big is that Ranch Doug ?
(I know it's bigger in Texas but still,how bigger ?) :D

bcampbe7
05-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Leroys idea is a good one. I would buy 2 or 3 lots at $25K if they were on a lake! I'm not so sure you could make money selling them that cheap, unless you split the cost of lake construction with the buyers. Then you need a lake big enough to support a community. Could get a little crowded on the lake on the weekends. :eek:

I also thought about this. You need to watch the restrictions (City, County, and State). A county can shoot your dreams down pretty quickly if they choose. There seems to be A LOT of upfront paperwork to build a lake. I had it calculated at $150k-$200k just to have the lake built (me doing no work, other than the layout). I do have access to earth movers and bulldozers but the upfront work is kinda intimidating to me. Maybe someday.

Hey ETS, don't they sell land in Texas by the County, not acre? :D

rodltg2
05-09-2005, 10:38 PM
thats why i dont want to run a club. if its just for me and one other home owner it should be easier to get the permits. i plan on calling it " a fish farm" that i will occasionally ski on as well. if i dont remove the dirt and keep it on the property i heard helps too.

parks_jr_55
05-09-2005, 11:16 PM

Leroy
05-10-2005, 12:10 AM
You make me sick. :mad:

Seriously, sounds really nice. Enjoy it and never leave there! I'm very envious.

Nothern Wisconsin
We have a house on a lake:

196 acres private lake (no boat launch).

We have a 2000 Prostar 190 and besides the ocasional holiday weekend tubers, the lake is ours. Some fishing going on.

Me and my two brothers live there for the summer and get out everday
and 75% of the time its glass.

Good times.

Leroy
05-10-2005, 12:15 AM
bcampbe7; I think I could come up with 5 people that would do this pretty easily. I just want a break even arrangement. Everyone says to get the lake approved before buying the land. With the right property, small stream running through it and the right slopes could be pretty easy to build a dam and scrap out the shallow. Would not be a pretty as the plan, but that would be ok if big enough to ski in and especially with a nice turn-around. I keep dreaming!

Leroys idea is a good one. I would buy 2 or 3 lots at $25K if they were on a lake! I'm not so sure you could make money selling them that cheap, unless you split the cost of lake construction with the buyers. Then you need a lake big enough to support a community. Could get a little crowded on the lake on the weekends. :eek:

I also thought about this. You need to watch the restrictions (City, County, and State). A county can shoot your dreams down pretty quickly if they choose. There seems to be A LOT of upfront paperwork to build a lake. I had it calculated at $150k-$200k just to have the lake built (me doing no work, other than the layout). I do have access to earth movers and bulldozers but the upfront work is kinda intimidating to me. Maybe someday.

erkoehler
05-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Where are you at in Northern WI? We have a place in St. Germain and have a very similar situation with the lake use.

Nothern Wisconsin
We have a house on a lake:

196 acres private lake (no boat launch).

We have a 2000 Prostar 190 and besides the ocasional holiday weekend tubers, the lake is ours. Some fishing going on.

Me and my two brothers live there for the summer and get out everday
and 75% of the time its glass.

Good times.

east tx skier
05-10-2005, 10:38 AM
It's 100 contiguous acres give or take. Four bedroom large ranch house. Two story barn capable of holding a MC. Paved driveway to the highway. And, yes, at the moment, it is for sale.

I have heard it said that the permitting process in this part of Texas is not the hurdle, permit-wise, it can be in some locales. I do not speak from experience though.

east tx skier
05-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Hey, Rod. Since you fly, why not just get this little gem in Illinois.

Lake for Sale (http://www.schnitzskis.com/pages/460853/index.htm)

rodltg2
05-10-2005, 12:25 PM
i think my c172 would take 2 days to get there!

ski_king
05-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Rod, if you do build a lake, make sure you leave room for a runway parallel to the lake. Isn't 2300 feet more than enough?

rodltg2
05-10-2005, 12:50 PM
yep, ski lake dimensions make perfect runway dims too. a little wider though , i coukld get by with 75' wide

86Craft
05-10-2005, 12:56 PM
No, I would not like to live in the "fastest growing county". If it is growing fast, that sounds like more boats and chop. 325k for a lot?
I have skied on a 10 acre man made lake that was a blast! The guy had it dug out just 5 feet or so in the straight-a-ways,(there is two, with a stoned island between) and 20 foot "hoppers" in the turn arounds. I would love that set-up for a one house lake like he has it. Never asked him what it cost. To dig a 1/2 acre, 20foot deep pond, and have it rimmed out in stone is around 15k in this area.

rodltg2
05-10-2005, 01:30 PM
taking a look at another property today with house , low price tag of 765K . no lake. so after lake im looking at easily a mil.

parks_jr_55
05-10-2005, 09:11 PM

erkoehler
05-10-2005, 09:26 PM
We are 8 miles West on Highway 70 of Minocqua---Whitefish Lake.

What lake are you on?

Cool, you are really close. Well, if you ever need a pull just let me know.

6ballsisall
05-10-2005, 09:54 PM
I have thought about doing this where I live, figure I could buy land 200 acres for about 90k if I plan it right. Another 100k to dig the lake right. Sell lots to break even and life would be great. With all my "spare time" :noface: it will probably never happen though

T-Rager
05-11-2005, 01:04 AM
We periodically rent a private water ski lake throughout the summer. You can see pictures of it at www.skipond.com. The owner, Dennis Koreis, built the lake himself. You can contact him through this web site. He is a very nice fellow and may provide you with some helpful insights.

Good luck.

east tx skier
05-11-2005, 11:48 AM
DFW's ski school lake has an adjacent grass strip and hanger.

www.dfwski.com

parks_jr_55
05-11-2005, 03:24 PM

rodltg2
05-11-2005, 03:36 PM
i think my only hope to dig is to move out of cal.

Granite_33
05-11-2005, 03:43 PM
We periodically rent a private water ski lake throughout the summer. You can see pictures of it at www.skipond.com. The owner, Dennis Koreis, built the lake himself. You can contact him through this web site. He is a very nice fellow and may provide you with some helpful insights.

Good luck.
Whats he charge per day?

rodltg2
05-11-2005, 03:52 PM
do they provide the house too?

T-Rager
05-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Whats he charge per day?

Week days are $150/day. Weekend days are linked together; the cost is $625/weekend during the prime months.

T-Rager
05-11-2005, 04:05 PM
do they provide the house too?

No, but there is a large outbuilding in which you can roll out sleeping bags and air cushions. My "roughing it" years are long gone; I prefer to sleep in my own bed and drive to the facility. My ski colleagues are all in their late 20s/early 30s and like to camp out.

We usually start skiing at 6:30 am and call it a day at 7:00 pm. When there are only 5 or 6 persons skiing, I'm pretty well toast by the end of day.

ktn_cmu
05-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Rod, if you do build a lake, make sure you leave room for a runway parallel to the lake. Isn't 2300 feet more than enough?

Just put some amphibious pontoons on that 172 and you'll be all set.

AirJunky
05-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Better think about moving away from the Bay area so you can afford that kind of land.

betsy&david Harrison
05-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Sometimes coming up with the people is the easiest part. The restrictions are what are going to kill your entire project. Hate to be the spoil sport, but doing all the pre-work, like soil samples, endagered species count and if they will be harmed or displaced, the water supply...do you have to purchase from the farmers, ect...the list goes on and on. I know this because the guy that built the lake my place is on went through he_ _! 15 years ago getting all the permits to build ours. Shares go for over 100 G easily. Just my two cents but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Good Luck if you confront it.

east tx skier
05-11-2005, 06:57 PM
I don't know if the restrictions are quite so bad around here. Not yet, at least. But I'm going on second-hand info here.

ktn_cmu
05-12-2005, 10:02 AM
If y'all are really interested, contact Gould Engineering http://www.gouldengineering.com/ If you open that page, they have a link to some of the lakes they have done. My Dad used to work for them a long time ago.

divetravis
05-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Here in Austin we have a set of man made lakes called AquaPlex, the complex has 23 1/2 acre lots. The lakes are around 2200' long and about 8' deep when full. Two of the lots are for sale, one is listed on ski it again for 52,500 the other just came up for sale this week, I believe the owner wants 57k, this one has a dock and floating hoist. These lakes are over 15 years old and while we have had a small amount of erosion is has not been a major problem, we have done almost no work on the erosion in the 7 years that I have owned a lot. We have had owners with wakeboard boats although not many and they seldom use their wakeboard boats on this lake, normally wakeboarders seem to prefer larger public lakes and we have lots of those around Austin, we have also had wakeboard competitions on the lake, I believe the reason we have not had a large erosion problem is that we have a good base of grass that grows around the edge of the lake. Our home owners dues are about $1100 per year, the vast majority of this goes for landscape items (mowing, trimming, sprinkler system, pest control, etc.), we also have a nice club house, pavilion, road and scoring stands that take a bit of maintenance from time to time. The two lakes actually handle the number of skiers quite well, in the weekday evenings you might have to wait a bit to get a set but on the weekends you seldom have to wait, you would be surprised how many weekends I have been the only boat on the lake, even on holiday weekends there is seldom a wait. Of course you have to remember that the vast majority of folks who use these lakes simply ski a few sets and then leave, it is not like a public lake where folks load up the boat, haul it to the lake and spend the entire day. Just as a point of interest, I actually live on a huge public lake (Lake Travis) and if you want to take the family and friends out for a day of fun it is a much better place to go, while it is busy on the weekends it is also much more versatile, you can joy ride, swim, view the homes on the lake, watch the partiers, even go to a resturant. I will attempt to put a link in here to the ski lake and the lot that is listed on ski it again. If anyone has any questions I would be happy to try and answer them, I normally only read this board once a week so if you really want an answer sooner please PM me.

Austin AquaPlex (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=creedmoor,+tx&ll=30.075599,-97.715278&spn=0.005676,0.007339&t=k&hl=en)

Lot for Sale (http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&postid=SIA01511)

Larry

Leroy
05-12-2005, 11:42 AM
That's really cool and not so pricey!

Lake_Tippy_Skier
05-12-2005, 11:53 AM
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=milford,+in&ll=41.366444,-85.790691&spn=0.008250,0.010664&t=k&hl=en

this is my buddies lake, his parents built it about 30 years ago.

http://www.geocities.com/cindonway/

erkoehler
05-12-2005, 11:57 AM
Those are some neat lakes! Do they all have restrictions as to how many boats can be out at any given time?

tex
05-12-2005, 11:59 AM
Those are some neat lakes! Do they all have restrictions as to how many boats can be out at any given time?
I hear they don't allow purple boats!

erkoehler
05-12-2005, 12:05 PM

The lake in WI that we are on is closed access which is close enough to private for me. Only 3 houses on the entire lake ski, plus there is a camp. It is usually slow, the lake is calm for the most part, and you can get lots of runs in real quick.

But, there are ski hours :(

André
05-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Hey Farmer,is there any shampoo left,someone needs a treatment!!! :D

rodltg2
05-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Better think about moving away from the Bay area so you can afford that kind of land.

i moved out of the bay area 4 years ago to get away from high prices. they seemed to have followed me up north.

east tx skier
05-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Here in Austin we have a set of man made lakes called AquaPlex, the complex has 23 1/2 acre lots. The lakes are around 2200' long and about 8' deep when full. Two of the lots are for sale, one is listed on ski it again for 52,500 the other just came up for sale this week, I believe the owner wants 57k, this one has a dock and floating hoist. These lakes are over 15 years old and while we have had a small amount of erosion is has not been a major problem, we have done almost no work on the erosion in the 7 years that I have owned a lot. We have had owners with wakeboard boats although not many and they seldom use their wakeboard boats on this lake, normally wakeboarders seem to prefer larger public lakes and we have lots of those around Austin, we have also had wakeboard competitions on the lake, I believe the reason we have not had a large erosion problem is that we have a good base of grass that grows around the edge of the lake. Our home owners dues are about $1100 per year, the vast majority of this goes for landscape items (mowing, trimming, sprinkler system, pest control, etc.), we also have a nice club house, pavilion, road and scoring stands that take a bit of maintenance from time to time. The two lakes actually handle the number of skiers quite well, in the weekday evenings you might have to wait a bit to get a set but on the weekends you seldom have to wait, you would be surprised how many weekends I have been the only boat on the lake, even on holiday weekends there is seldom a wait. Of course you have to remember that the vast majority of folks who use these lakes simply ski a few sets and then leave, it is not like a public lake where folks load up the boat, haul it to the lake and spend the entire day. Just as a point of interest, I actually live on a huge public lake (Lake Travis) and if you want to take the family and friends out for a day of fun it is a much better place to go, while it is busy on the weekends it is also much more versatile, you can joy ride, swim, view the homes on the lake, watch the partiers, even go to a resturant. I will attempt to put a link in here to the ski lake and the lot that is listed on ski it again. If anyone has any questions I would be happy to try and answer them, I normally only read this board once a week so if you really want an answer sooner please PM me.

Austin AquaPlex (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=creedmoor,+tx&ll=30.075599,-97.715278&spn=0.005676,0.007339&t=k&hl=en)

Lot for Sale (http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&postid=SIA01511)

Larry

Welcome, Larry. I'm in Austin as we speak. What happened to the sun? Going for a ski on Lake Austin this evening. Just had my first Thundercloud in two years. :dance:

betsy&david Harrison
05-12-2005, 04:01 PM
I don't know if the restrictions are quite so bad around here. Not yet, at least. But I'm going on second-hand info here.
I hope so, California environmentalists are a pretty tough group and the prices in Bakersfield....they have gone way up. Our place alone is now worth over 200K. The other bad thing is that our lots are not deeded. We are a piece of a corporation (fish farm) and banks won't touch them for loans topurchase a place. The good thing is that when a place on our lake does go up for sale it is snatched up quickly. It is a good place to be. B

AirJunky
05-12-2005, 04:13 PM
i moved out of the bay area 4 years ago to get away from high prices. they seemed to have followed me up north.
I hate to break it to ya, but moving less than 100 miles from San Fran doesn't quite qualify as "moving out of the bay area". While you might not be technically in the bay area, your still very much in the thick of the high prices that area is stuck with.... highest prices in the entire country last I read.
Do yourself a favor, sell your house & move to another state like TN, TX or FL where you'll live like a king on the amount of money your house will sell for. I moved from Seattle (another high dollar market) to Spokane (much smaller market) & went from a shared waterfront condo to a much larger & newer shared waterfront house that was $35k less!! :headbang:

rodltg2
05-12-2005, 04:16 PM
cant move, i own my business so no can do. no way ill make the kind of money i do here with all the contruction happening. maybe in 5 years.

AirJunky
05-12-2005, 04:33 PM
cant move, i own my business so no can do. no way ill make the kind of money i do here with all the contruction happening. maybe in 5 years.
You should consider looking into it. The fact that you own your own business means you can diversify it. Train someone now, leave them in charge there, then open a satellite office somewhere else. Believe me, they are doing a huge amount of construction is places like Austin, Nashville & Jacksonville too.

Even here in Spokane new house construction is thru the roof. The little town I live in is growing so fast it's unreal...... and a huge amount of the growth is people moving out of Cali! My neighbor sold his shack in San Mateo & move here..... paid cash for a 2 yr old, $329k, 5 bedroom house 1/2 a block from the lake, boat slip, 300' of beachfront, our own ramp, etc. He's not making nearly as much money as he was there, but his living expenses are 1/2 of what they used to be.

I have another neighbor who moved here from San Francisco. He bought the bouse, 3900 sq ft, shared waterfront, for under $250k, and did the commute from here to San Fran for 2 yrs. Now his house is paid for & he works from home.

Ric
05-12-2005, 04:49 PM
I knew it!
You're running a chilean escort service for contractors aren't you?!

rodltg2
05-12-2005, 05:04 PM
you got me! no actually i import , fabricate and install granite countertops. i would be a little difficult to move this kind of business with all my inventory and machinery. i will however consider selling in 5-10 years , then move.

André
05-12-2005, 05:08 PM
Rod
Do you import from my heck of the wood ?
I did a couples of jobs at Summum Granite and Granite Bussieres...

rodltg2
05-12-2005, 05:11 PM
no, mostly brasil and india. although i know thre are a few colors coming out of canada.

AirJunky
05-12-2005, 05:13 PM
you got me! no actually i import , fabricate and install granite countertops. i would be a little difficult to move this kind of business with all my inventory and machinery. i will however consider selling in 5-10 years , then move.
Hehe, nice. Come on up to Spokane for a skiing & installation weekend. ;)
I have a buddy who did granite counter installs in Seattle. He's now doing the same thing in West Virginia. Upgraded from an older home in West Seattle to a custom built place on 175 acres. Built his own shop a few hundred feet down the driveway & now has several guys working for him. I couldn't believe he wanted to make that move but he swears the quality of life there is far & above better than he had.

rodltg2
05-12-2005, 05:57 PM
i'll go up and ski, no install for me though. i dont do that work myself. its dirty and back breaking! i have 17 guys in my shop , i leave it up to them.

Ric
05-12-2005, 06:38 PM
Welcome, Larry. I'm in Austin as we speak. What happened to the sun? Going for a ski on Lake Austin this evening. Just had my first Thundercloud in two years. :dance:
YEP, that figures! I'm sitting on my arse posting about sox and a boat erk won't get and doug is skiing it up on lake Austin, one of my favorite places on earth.
Oh well watch out for the boarders duuuude, they can't see you over the bow for all their ballast duuude.

André
02-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Seems like a nice place...and look at all those other private site! :love:
http://www.lakeoasis.ca/SkiLakeAerialPhotos/

Boogieman
02-19-2006, 05:25 PM
those are awesome . . I know what's on my next list for Santa . . . :D

PendO
02-20-2006, 12:33 AM
Rod - the guy who owns the CC dealership in S. Idaho (Caldwell) dug his lake with a dozer ...

pq2
02-07-2008, 04:23 PM
I cant remember a webpage that has some drawings about a ski lake, with depts, and ideal measures, does any one know were can I find some information about this???

jkski
02-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Try going to: www.laku.com
This site had great drawings, etc. if it is still up and running.

pq2
02-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks!!!!

ridesdirt
02-07-2008, 04:53 PM
I didn't read through the whole thread, but:

If you are looking for a contractor to design and build a ski lake for you. I would highly recommend Neill Grading in Hickory NC. The owners are avid skiers and they have built several lakes from FLA to the Carolinas. They can definatley build you a tournament level lake.

If you are interested shoot me a pm, I can hook you up with names and numbers.

rodltg2
02-07-2008, 06:38 PM
i got two guys i recommend out west. im sure Pq2 can find someone in mexico no problem though.
dang housing market foiled my plans to dig one. :mad:

still hoping someday!

pq2
02-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Im trying to start the project again but I cant remember where, I saw some full plans of a ski lake :confused:

rodltg2
02-07-2008, 08:46 PM
well length can be as short as 1800'. ideal would be about 2300'. width can be anywher btween 180-300. narrow lakes will tend to clear up faster. meaning less wait time at the end of your pass. there alot of theories on depth, but most ive been on are around 4-5ft deep. ive heard the deeper the better . 10:1 slope on the shoreline. this is somewhat crude drawing...

pq2
02-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Thanks Rod, hope I can make this work this time.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
02-07-2008, 09:41 PM
I dig my lake.

h2oskifreak
02-07-2008, 11:10 PM
I have read through the thread and nobody has suggested buying an existing gravel pit after extraction is complete. They are usually near rivers for water. Can't pick your dirt this way, but I have known a few who went that way. Nice places, but I have not seen too many bodies of water w/ courses on them I don't like.

sizzler
02-08-2008, 02:35 AM
the lake where i ski is gravel based.....its great for filtering the water...we have grade 2 drinking water,so when you go under it aint too bad........

JBaker
02-08-2008, 02:56 AM
the lake where i ski is gravel based.....its great for filtering the water...we have grade 2 drinking water,so when you go under it aint too bad........

I would love to hear more about this. Can someone elaborate on the "gravel pit"? I have considered a ski lake before, but I have only been on a few and they remind me too much of the water I grew up on - the muddy mississippi.

uawaterskier
02-08-2008, 04:02 AM
A lot of lakes we ski on for tournaments are man made or man modified.

milkmania
02-08-2008, 06:07 AM
here's where we hang out a lot during the summer

a buddy's place and yes, it does look like yoohoo chocolate drink
(too much run-off from the nearby hill side)

click to enlarge
http://www.therideinstyle.com/cornell.jpg

click to enlarge
http://www.therideinstyle.com/cornell2.jpg

click to enlarge
http://www.therideinstyle.com/cornell3.jpg

TMCNo1
02-08-2008, 06:41 AM
here's where we hang out a lot during the summer

a buddy's place and yes, it does look like yoohoo chocolate drink
(too much run-off from the nearby hill side)

click to enlarge
http://www.therideinstyle.com/cornell.jpg

click to enlarge
http://www.therideinstyle.com/cornell2.jpg

click to enlarge
http://www.therideinstyle.com/cornell3.jpg

Wow, all you need is some Nilla Wafers and Bananas and WaLa, you've got a Banana Pudding!

h2oskifreak
02-08-2008, 08:23 AM
JBAKER, Ckeck around the area that you are interested in. It takes water and a lot of it to extract gravel. Check with the large sand & gravel companies as to what their plans are. One problem is tax benifits to "donate the property to audobon societies and the like, but it never hurts to show an interest. I am on a old pit and the best lake in our area was a pit. He got involved prior to it being done and they actually dug it to his specs.

TMCNo1
02-08-2008, 08:44 AM
JBAKER, Ckeck around the area that you are interested in. It takes water and a lot of it to extract gravel. Check with the large sand & gravel companies as to what their plans are. One problem is tax benifits to "donate the property to audobon societies and the like, but it never hurts to show an interest. I am on a old pit and the best lake in our area was a pit. He got involved prior to it being done and they actually dug it to his specs.

Okeeheelee Park in West Palm Beach, FL., Coble Ski School in Lillinton, NC and Mills Pond Park in Ft. Lauderdale, FL are quarry sites among others.

Esiegert
02-09-2008, 02:16 PM
I cant remember a webpage that has some drawings about a ski lake, with depts, and ideal measures, does any one know were can I find some information about this???

http://www.iwsf.com/lakeplan/LagoGrande.jpg

BrandonKTM
02-10-2008, 06:13 PM
I didn't see anything on this thread about the soil you want to dig in. Being in construction, I can tell you soil borings or pits will be critical. If the land is too gravely (porous) water will drain out faster than it comes in. Would be a shame to do all that and then have to line it so it holds water! A ski lake in our area (Dave's Pond) was dug by the owner. I believe he bought a used dozer and ran it himself. Years ago I talked with him about his course and jump layout and he put the anchors in while it was dry. Also put in the launch ramp, overflow drains, electric out to the islands, dock, etc while it was dry.

pepi
02-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Here's a website for a guy that's trying to get a lake built on Vancouver Island. He's been trying for years, but keeps encountering roadblocks. He might have some advice for you.

http://www.lakeoasis.ca/index.php

As for gravel pits, Albert Dyck park in Abottsford BC is an old gravel pit. It is the home of the Fraser Valley Waterski Club.
http://www.fvwsc.org/

flipper
02-11-2008, 03:57 PM
I didn't see anything on this thread about the soil you want to dig in. Being in construction, I can tell you soil borings or pits will be critical. If the land is too gravely (porous) water will drain out faster than it comes in. Would be a shame to do all that and then have to line it so it holds water! A ski lake in our area (Dave's Pond) was dug by the owner. I believe he bought a used dozer and ran it himself. Years ago I talked with him about his course and jump layout and he put the anchors in while it was dry. Also put in the launch ramp, overflow drains, electric out to the islands, dock, etc while it was dry.

We dug 2 large ponds at work, about 75' deep and used lime treated base rock to line them with. Worked great. Might get a little expensive to do a whole lake though.

88 PS190
02-11-2008, 04:10 PM
We dug 2 large ponds at work, about 75' deep and used lime treated base rock to line them with. Worked great. Might get a little expensive to do a whole lake though.

atleast you don't need to go 75' deep.

3event
02-11-2008, 04:33 PM
There's a stone/gravel co. around here that has a short term dig that is planned to be converted to residential lots around a lake afterwards. But I believe it will be too small and covenants will probably prohibit powerboats. That's the idea, though.

We have a few ex-quarry lakes in the area. One is a very nice city park with no other access and no boats. Swimming beach set up on one end with nice sand and the whole deal. Great for swimming, clean water.

If you want a specific depth and bottom slope to minimize wave activitiy, you're out of luck for the most part, I think - around here they dig em VERY DEEP. Don't drop your boat keys. If you could find an old site that was unused you might be able to get a great deal on land. But you might have to spend a LOT to get it into usable shape if it could be done at all.

Gerd
02-12-2008, 06:41 PM
We've got a guy in our area by the name of Ken kent, he's also the local repair shop for tige boats. He bought a piece of property along the shore of our local river (North Saskatchewan) and dug a pond big enough to host a ski event each year. It's also at the base of a local ski hill, so it traps all of the run off and if it gets low he just pumps from the river. He calls it Shalom park and you may be able to google it for some pics.
Good luck.

Gerd
02-12-2008, 10:18 PM
If you google shalom park alberta, there are a few pics and some info about the lake.

SummerObsession
02-14-2008, 12:19 PM
I have also thought about building a lake on my property. Where I live, we have plenty of land (~600 acres). Problem is, I'm western kansas where there is no water.
Land is cheap though, 750/acre will buy you all you want!

brianb0518
03-27-2011, 11:51 AM
I am wonder if there is someone out there who can help me with some information regarding current decibels of inboard ski boats at varying distances. Presently I am putting together a presentation/ lease proposal for a local property owner to utilize a 15 acre lake on his property with the goal of forming a three event ski club.

The owner has asked us to address the four common impacts of water skiing (Sound Pollution/ Attenuation, Shoreline Erosion & Mitigation, Environmental Impacts/ Water Turbidity, and Wildlife Impacts).

I am currently working on the sound portion of the lease and was hoping to input the decibels of new 2010 and 2011 ski boat with mufflers into a chart comparing a whisper, normal conversation, city traffic, lawn mower, etc.

If any one has this information it would be much appreciated. I know water ski magazine formerly published this as a part of their boat reviews, but now with their feel good reviews there is limited technical information.

André
03-27-2011, 03:38 PM
You should post your question on ballofspray.com
A lot of guys with theit own lakes over there and you'll get a lot of good infos.
Good luck with your project!