PDA

View Full Version : Got the Course in. Slight Problem

east tx skier
05-09-2005, 05:09 PM
Well, we got the course set up on Saturday morning. Had to adjust the lines because the lake is unusually low for this time of year. Praying for rain at the moment. Attemtped to check baselines and the magents weren't picking up. Messed with the sensor and eventually was able to get the 3 ball and end gates to sound going either direction. Polarity is correct. They're all floating right underneath the appropriate balls.

I'm guessing that my sensor needs to be relocated. It's currently under the bow cushion on the port side (had to be on that side for the old course). I'm thinking it might work better under the dash along the gunwale or something. Ended up running the baselines with the hand timer and got very little derivation from the old course, which was a relief. If you look at this picture, I'm starting to think that placement is the problem because of how high the bow is over the water.

And then for the skiing. The picture looks pretty cool, albeit blurry. But in a word, I suck. Practice Practice. Got the gates and one, but then it fell apart. Good at spraying the balls though. I need a lot of work.

Ric
05-09-2005, 05:26 PM
ya I havent seen the sensor mounted that far forward. Typically under the obs seat near the port side but still laying horizontal on the floor.

east tx skier
05-09-2005, 05:40 PM
That didn't occur to me until we pulled the course and had the boat on the trailer. Rained on Sunday so we didn't get out.

Our club course must have had stronger magnets. Still don't know why some picked up and others didn't. I'll give it another try soon if the lily pads haven't completely taken over by my next trip down.

G-man
05-09-2005, 05:46 PM
ETS I had mine run just past the observers tucked in and wedged behind the front edge of the combing pad .
The velcro was against the sides of the boat. Let me know if this doesn't make sense.
gm

east tx skier
05-09-2005, 05:49 PM
So basically, it wasn't on the carpet, it was on the glass? The problem may be not enough wire. My master module is under the dash. With an open bow, I've got the wire snaked all the way around. I may just put it on the driver's side and put my mags on the other side at the 3 gates.

What's a combing pad?

sfitzgerald351
05-09-2005, 05:52 PM
To hijack one of Doug's own threads... Is that a TREE sticking up all alone in the middle of your lake? I've seen some crazy lakes but that's definitely a 'local hazard' if I ever saw one. At least it doesn't lurk 12 inches under the water I guess... What kinds of screwy lakes do you have in Texas that have trees randomly growing out of the middle of them? :D

LakePirate
05-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Please note that Doug said the water is low? :confused:

east tx skier
05-09-2005, 06:03 PM
No worries. This is the only natural lake in Texas and that's not the only tree. There are stumps-a-plenty, too. The big lake is marked with channel markers, which we use to navigate to the river/bayou, which you can ski on without worrying about permanent hazards. The bay where we have our dock and course doesn't have stumps (or so we thought). Found one well outside the course while I was swimming around, which we will mark soon.

The nice part is that we don't have any other ski boats showing up to interfere with our course. It's one of those lakes people don't just show up and ski because they don't know what lies beneath. The fishing boats that show up while we're underway tend to move along quickly when we don't slow up. As you might have noticed, we encourage the perception that this isn't a great place to bring a ski boat. :)

east tx skier
05-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Please note that Doug said the water is low? :confused:

About 5.5' mid-course Close to 6' at the North end. Around 3 feet at the makeshift turn island at the south end (which I discovered when I dropped down there). These are September levels and pretty unusual. But again, I encourage the perception that this lake has low levels, stumps, and alligators. :) And I'm not kidding.

rodltg2
05-09-2005, 06:12 PM
this is where mine is , work no problems.

LakePirate
05-09-2005, 06:14 PM
Hey man it's cool, if you don't want anybody to come ski you lake just say so :cool: ....there is no need to talk about what lies in the not so deep. So I am guessing that you mark a stump with an artificial tree so that others will stay away?

east tx skier
05-09-2005, 06:16 PM
Thanks, Rod. If I have some slack, I'll try to get it in there. Probably easier to go driver's side though. I have a barrier between the bow and the compartment under the observer's seat that I don't feel like negotiating unnecessarily. It's not big deal to swap sides with the 3 ball gate buoys when we put them in next time. Plus, I've got a bunch of stuff under my o-seat.

east tx skier
05-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Hey man it's cool, if you don't want anybody to come ski you lake just say so :cool: ....there is no need to talk about what lies in the not so deep. So I am guessing that you mark a stump with an artificial tree so that others will stay away?

Really more of a matter of my not wanting anyone to see how bad I become the instant someone drops an orange buoy in the water. :D Nobody should hesitate to ask for a tow if he/she is ever in Texas. Note: if it's a she, I gotta clear it with the wife. ;)

G-man
05-09-2005, 06:20 PM
Combing pad is the vinal section on the inside of the boat between the observers seat and the rear seat. It has that opening in that you almost get a ski in.

MasterMason
05-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Really more of a matter of my not wanting anyone to see how bad I become the instant someone drops an orange buoy in the water. :D Nobody should hesitate to ask for a tow if he/she is ever in Texas. Note: if it's a she, I gotta clear it with the wife. ;)

I am going to be in Dallas tomorrow through thrus, but unfortunately no time for skiiing.

rodltg2
05-09-2005, 06:28 PM
Thanks, Rod. If I have some slack, I'll try to get it in there. Probably easier to go driver's side though. I have a barrier between the bow and the compartment under the observer's seat that I don't feel like negotiating unnecessarily. It's not big deal to swap sides with the 3 ball gate buoys when we put them in next time. Plus, I've got a bunch of stuff under my o-seat.

if you only use your course it shouldnt be a problem, otherwise the standard would be on the left side.

east tx skier
05-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Thanks, George. Good point, Rod. No plans to use another course at this point, but you never know. I'll just play with it next time I'm down there.

Enjoy, Mason. I'm heading for Austin for the week tomorrow. I'll be skiing, but it won't be behind an MC. Try to forgive me, all.

bradamerry
05-09-2005, 08:39 PM
Farmer, sounds like Doug may need my elbow!!!! ;)

Farmer Ted
05-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Farmer, sounds like Doug may need my elbow!!!! ;)

We could use a 3 man on the Pro(zac) Tour, might could be handy to have a lawyer around at times!!!!

bradamerry
05-09-2005, 08:45 PM
We could use a 3 man on the Pro(zac) Tour, might could be handy to have a lawyer around at times!!!!
Might be a good idea... We will let him buy the cold beer for his new membership :D !

Farmer Ted
05-09-2005, 08:47 PM
Might be a good idea... We will let him buy the cold beer for his new membership :D !

sounds like a plan, speaking of courses, I was thinking it might be a good idea to get some weight (anchor) in the middle of the course.
It might help keep it straight from all the rollers other boats create when it's not being used.

I'm looking for an excuse to get my regulator serviced and go for a dive!!!!

bradamerry
05-09-2005, 08:51 PM
sounds like a plan, speaking of courses, I was thinking it might be a good idea to get some weight (anchor) in the middle of the course.
It might help keep it straight from all the rollers other boats create when it's not being used.

I'm looking for an excuse to get my regulator serviced and go for a dive!!!!
We need to do something!!!! Get it serviced, I will sit up there and wait for ya!!!!

east tx skier
05-09-2005, 09:09 PM
Oh, and another thing, we lost one of the north gate balls, magnet and all after a stormy night. Fortunately, the prevailing winds (there are 3 of them) blew the ball into the trees and we recovered it. The rope on the anchor snapped. Repaired it in 20 minutes, but if this becomes a regular occurrence, I may have to go to stainless cable for my anchor lines. I doubt it will be a regular occurrence though.

Brad, your going to throw that elbow out if you keep slappy the avatar much longer.

bradamerry
05-09-2005, 09:11 PM
Oh, and another thing, we lost one of the north gate balls, magnet and all after a stormy night. Fortunately, the prevailing winds (there are 3 of them) blew the ball into the trees and we recovered it. The rope on the anchor snapped. Repaired it in 20 minutes, but if this becomes a regular occurrence, I may have to go to stainless cable for my anchor lines. I doubt it will be a regular occurrence though.

Brad, your going to throw that elbow out if you keep slappy the avatar much longer.
Thanks for reminding me, I forgot to change it back!!!!

jimmer2880
05-10-2005, 07:22 AM
All I can says is... at least you have a course in. I just put my dock on the water last weekend. Thinking the course may be in by mid-June IF we can find everything. It's going to be a long year on course duty. Especially since I just found out that a buddy of mine just bought a course and needs some advice ;)

erkoehler
05-10-2005, 08:19 AM
All I can says is... at least you have a course in. I just put my dock on the water last weekend. Thinking the course may be in by mid-June IF we can find everything. It's going to be a long year on course duty. Especially since I just found out that a buddy of mine just bought a course and needs some advice ;)

My advice would be for him to come over to your course and help you put it in! :D

jimmer2880
05-10-2005, 08:23 AM
My advice would be for him to come over to your course and help you put it in! :D

Why would I do that? If I help him with his - he has all the headaches. Didn't your poppa tell you "why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free"?:uglyhamme

east tx skier
05-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Jimmer, I don't know how far your course is from shore, but I'd recommend a reference line from shore to one of your anchors. If you can find one, and have some premeasured rope, you can find the rest really easy if last weekend qualifies me as having any sort of expertise on the subject. And don't worry, we have to put ours in at the beginning of every weekend. I'll be putting it in again in June. If I've learned anything, it's that it definitely doesn't go in as fast as a portable is supposed to.

skisix@38
05-10-2005, 11:48 AM
The key to portable courses is all about familiarity with the surroundings(where to start and which direction to go) and having the same team to install. 3 people is best, one to hook balls on arms, one to man the rope wheel and prep the balls and one guy driving. It would seem like the driver would not have much impact on the speed that the course goes in but that's the most important position and can make everything go smoothly or not.
Don't worry about the depth, most of the tournament courses in California are in lakes that are 4' deep- that's the wierdest feeling to crash and "walk to shore" instead of swim. Be careful of your fin getting mud on it. If you find that your ski is not reacting the way it did last time check your fin for mud.

Have fun!

east tx skier
05-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Pulled some mud out of the fin this weekend. That must have been my problem. ;) We're close to 6' at the north end and 4' at the South gates. Drops off another foot to the start point, which is a concern. Since we didn't go portable, we just locate anchors and clip the balls to the subs. With repeated installments, I think we can get our time down. Taking it up is much faster as we just unhook the balls and bag 'em.

Install was lenthened because we were adjusting our latex shock cords. If we get a lot of fluctuation, we were considering using counterweights so adjustments wouldn't be necessary. No matter the work, it feels great to have it in. Humbling, but great.

jimmer2880
05-10-2005, 12:32 PM
Jimmer, I don't know how far your course is from shore, but I'd recommend a reference line from shore to one of your anchors. If you can find one, and have some premeasured rope, you can find the rest really easy if last weekend qualifies me as having any sort of expertise on the subject. And don't worry, we have to put ours in at the beginning of every weekend. I'll be putting it in again in June. If I've learned anything, it's that it definitely doesn't go in as fast as a portable is supposed to.

Thx. Finding where all 22 anchors are supposed to be isn't a problem. The problem is finding where they are NOW that is our challenge.:(

Darn river currents.

east tx skier
05-10-2005, 12:53 PM
We are fortunate to have a very muddy bottom. The mud makes for a lot of suction, and one cinder block holds tight (no discernable movement over the last eight months.

jimmer2880
05-10-2005, 01:00 PM
Un-fortunately, we have ice. when the ice takes out things like trees, etc - they drag the bottom (only 6-8' in our course area), which will move anything. One of our main anchors is a 350 engine block. Even that gets moved :eek: