PDA

View Full Version : 2005 L-18 Dying when brought back to idle

bsimpson
05-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Hello All,

I was hoping someone would know if MC has a fix for the continuing problem of the L-18 dying when bringing it back to idle. I have a new 2005 L-18 which I thought had the past problem taken care of. :huh:

I was out the past couple weekends and sure enough it happens two to three times a day... your rider falls, you bring it out of Perfect Pass, go to turn around and the engine is dead. I found that it happens less if you slowly bring it back to 30% which will disengage Perfect Pass and keep you at a nice speed to pick up your rider.

BUT... then it did it too me at the dock as I was approaching. Luckly it happened far enough away (10 feet) and I got it started dropped it in reverse and snugged it up to the dock nicely. It looked pretty impressive to the people on the dock but I about soiled myself.

The engine did not do this at all for the first 5 hours but several times since (maybe 6 times in the next five hours). I brought it up for its 20 hour service early and the mechanics don't know of the solution.

Please help!! :worthy:

jsonova99
05-09-2005, 04:03 PM
Hello All,

I was hoping someone would know if MC has a fix for the continuing problem of the L-18 dying when bringing it back to idle. I have a new 2005 L-18 which I thought had the past problem taken care of. :huh:

I was out the past couple weekends and sure enough it happens two to three times a day... your rider falls, you bring it out of Perfect Pass, go to turn around and the engine is dead. I found that it happens less if you slowly bring it back to 30% which will disengage Perfect Pass and keep you at a nice speed to pick up your rider.

BUT... then it did it too me at the dock as I was approaching. Luckly it happened far enough away (10 feet) and I got it started dropped it in reverse and snugged it up to the dock nicely. It looked pretty impressive to the people on the dock but I about soiled myself.

The engine did not do this at all for the first 5 hours but several times since (maybe 6 times in the next five hours). I brought it up for its 20 hour service early and the mechanics don't know of the solution.

Please help!! :worthy:

I don't know how to fix it, but that is absolutely unacceptable on a new boat. :mad:

peason
05-09-2005, 04:07 PM
I had problems with my fuel pump when I bought my 209, which was sitting at a dealer for a year without being run. I realize its a totally different engine, but it would run for awhile and then just quit, but once it quit I couldn't get it started again for a couple of hours. Dealer changed pump and I was good to go.

bsimpson
05-09-2005, 04:33 PM
I had problems with my fuel pump when I bought my 209, which was sitting at a dealer for a year without being run. I realize its a totally different engine, but it would run for awhile and then just quit, but once it quit I couldn't get it started again for a couple of hours. Dealer changed pump and I was good to go.

It is fine when it is running and never dies until it is dropped back into neutral. I am really concerned when you need to feather it between forward and reverse when docking. It is almost as if the idle RPMs are set too low for the engine.

WakePowell
05-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Bsimpson – I have the exact same problem with my 2005 L-18. I have had it back to the dealer once to have the “computer recalibrated” and it only made it worse. My dealer called late last week and said that he now has a “new/custom” update to take care of the problem.

Theses issue suck! It is a two-hour round trip to the dealer and he is currently busy with other boats. I am headed out for a long weekend and am trying to get the boat to him so the update can be performed before I am dead at Lake Powell and 40 miles from the marina. If I make it back I will let you know if this update works

MYMC
05-09-2005, 04:54 PM
http://mymastercraft.com/Forum/view_thread.cfm?postid=4334&forum=3&category=2

The above will have some info for you, but I will repeat it here...
The L-18 is having some issues with idle due to the change to DBW. When Indmar switched to DBW they were able to remove the IAC motor (that controls idle air flow at closed throttle) this is now accomplished by opening and closing the butterfly with the same motor that opens and closes the throttle when you are driving. There is a fairly new calibration available that has seemed to help with Maeghan's L-18 X-Star. Try that update.

BTW do you have Perfect Pass?

bsimpson
05-09-2005, 05:09 PM
http://mymastercraft.com/Forum/view_thread.cfm?postid=4334&forum=3&category=2

The above will have some info for you, but I will repeat it here...
The L-18 is having some issues with idle due to the change to DBW. When Indmar switched to DBW they were able to remove the IAC motor (that controls idle air flow at closed throttle) this is now accomplished by opening and closing the butterfly with the same motor that opens and closes the throttle when you are driving. There is a fairly new calibration available that has seemed to help with Maeghan's L-18 X-Star. Try that update.

BTW do you have Perfect Pass?

Thank you MYMC and WakePowell. I am hesitant to upload the new program based upon the link you provided MYMC. Maybe it is just my driving tendancies and the engine will break in a bit. I'd say it only does it about 10% of the time and only once or twice at the dock since I bought the boat.

I do have Perfect Pass which is where it does it the most. I found it does it far less if I only bring the throttle back to 30%... just enough to disengage the Perfect Pass. Maybe this is because with Perfect Pass it goes from a "full run" to zero when you bring it back to neutral rather than a gradual 60%, 50%, 40%, 30%, and so on.

east tx skier
05-09-2005, 05:11 PM
I don't know how to fix it, but that is absolutely unacceptable on a new boat. :mad:

I'll go a step further. That is absolutely unacceptable on a MasterCraft of any age. Glad there appears to be a fix for you. Good luck.

bsimpson
05-09-2005, 05:14 PM
Bsimpson – I have the exact same problem with my 2005 L-18. I have had it back to the dealer once to have the “computer recalibrated” and it only made it worse. My dealer called late last week and said that he now has a “new/custom” update to take care of the problem.

Theses issue suck! It is a two-hour round trip to the dealer and he is currently busy with other boats. I am headed out for a long weekend and am trying to get the boat to him so the update can be performed before I am dead at Lake Powell and 40 miles from the marina. If I make it back I will let you know if this update works

My biggest fear is that it does it somewhere remote like you mentioned. Does yours have a harder time turning over after it dies this way? Mine seems to take an extra few seconds to restart as opposed to when I just shut the engine off with the key. Perhaps this is un-combusted fuel still in the chamber??

Does anyone know any tricks in case it does not start due to this kind of failure? :huh:

Engine Nut
05-09-2005, 05:20 PM
There is a new calibration that has been developed to resolve your issue. Although it has not been released for production yet it has successfully been installed on a number of boats at MasterCraft and several others in the field that exhibited similar conditions as yours. Ask your dealer to contact MasterCraft or Indmar for the latest 8.1 Calibration. The calibration checksum is F532 for an 8.1 with perfect pass.

Engine Nut

bsimpson
05-09-2005, 05:29 PM
There is a new calibration that has been developed to resolve your issue. Although it has not been released for production yet it has successfully been installed on a number of boats at MasterCraft and several others in the field that exhibited similar conditions as yours. Ask your dealer to contact MasterCraft or Indmar for the latest 8.1 Calibration. The calibration checksum is F532 for an 8.1 with perfect pass.

Engine Nut

Excellent... thank you Engine Nut. I am having my dealer check on the latest update since this sounds like it is specific to my configuration with the Perfect Pass. The dealer is making some calls to Indmar now. I'll let everyone know how this latest update works. :toast:

Has anyone else received this update?

prostar205
05-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Engine Nut -

Is this new program just for the 2005 L-18s with the Drive-By-Wire technology? I have the 2002 L-18 and it will die occassionally when going from 3/4+ throttle down to neutral quickly. I have just learned to deal with it and modify my driving.

WakePowell
05-09-2005, 08:40 PM
Bsimpson – My L-18 is difficult to start once it dies going back to idle. The last time out it died in the middle of the ramp and would not readily start. I had to put it in neutral and give it nearly full throttle to start it. My boat also has Perfect Pass so I will call the dealer tomorrow to see if the update is the F532. He led me to believe last week that it was some sort of “custom” calibration from Indmar.

MYMC - I am leaving for Lake Powell on Thursday afternoon and will be 400 miles from the nearest Mastercraft Dealer. Should I have the dealer perform the update and run it on the trailer prior to going or stick with the current calibration? I will not be able to lake test it until I get to Powell so I am concerned that I will get there and it will be worst.

Thanks

BUSSTUFJ
05-10-2005, 07:33 AM
Is this a problem only with perfect pass and the 8.1L? Does it occur with the Masetrcarft cruise too?

MYMC
05-10-2005, 07:51 AM
All 2005 L-18 have the issue some are worse than others. This calibration will not work on non DBW engines.

The Perfect Pass DBW has its own issues when driven in a heavily ballasted boat. But this is a Perfect Pass issue not Indmar.

I have called as recent as yesterday (Monday) and was told the new update was not available yet. Engine nut...must be ahead of the Indmar rep at the plant. :confused:

H2OGirl
05-10-2005, 08:52 AM
I'm not sure if this is the same problem but my friend has an 05 TT with LQ9 and was having some of the same issues when using PP, he had to pull his ECM out and send it back to MC, they were going to do something and send it back to him.

MYMC
05-10-2005, 09:02 AM
Kind of the same thing (regarding Perfect Pass) the TT boats are getting updated now (chip change) this cures an issue with the rpm not settling (going in slow) before entering the pre-gates and some surging issues.

WakePowell
05-10-2005, 09:07 AM
Here is another issue with the 2005 L-18 that I am having. Under acceleration there is a rattle/vibration in the dash/helm. The dealer informed me that this is due to the “play” in the steering cable at the rudder. Apparently under acceleration the thrust of water past the rudder causes the rudder to vibrate momentarily and this is transmitted through the “play” in the cable to the helm. Currently Mastercraft is not providing a fix for the issue. The dealer offered to grind one side of the rudder to “load” it and prevent the rudder from vibrating. They supposedly do this to water-ski tournament boats all the time. I am not too excited to have my rudder ground and would rather have the steering cable fixed/replace. Has anyone else experienced the same symptoms?

east tx skier
05-10-2005, 11:04 AM
My father-in-law's 98 PS 205 has a little play in the wheel and it drives me nuts. When I bought my boat, it had a filed rudder and I thought there was something wrong. Having gotten used to the steering pull, I'd feel lost without it. Much easier to hold a line in my opinion with a filed/ground/torqued rudder. I'm a big fan of the mod. Just don't let go of the wheel at speed.