PDA

View Full Version : Polishing behind trailer sides?

Hunterb
05-09-2005, 03:23 PM
Hi everyone,

I am actually getting towards the end of my rebuild of a 1990 PS 190 and am at the wet-sanding, cut polishing, waxing the exterior stage. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to get behind the side rails on the trailer? I thought about backing the boat part way off the trailer and then pulling it back out of the water. I figure that as long as the motor is not over the back of the trailer it should be O.K. What do you all do?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bruce

erkoehler
05-09-2005, 03:25 PM
If you do that, be sure to attach the winch strap so that the boat can't go backwards. I would also put a strap across the bow.

jsonova99
05-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Hi everyone,

I am actually getting towards the end of my rebuild of a 1990 PS 190 and am at the wet-sanding, cut polishing, waxing the exterior stage. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to get behind the side rails on the trailer? I thought about backing the boat part way off the trailer and then pulling it back out of the water. I figure that as long as the motor is not over the back of the trailer it should be O.K. What do you all do?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bruce

I would be interested in hearing about how the wet sanding goes, maybe you could put a step by step or some sort of a process together, I'm in the middle of re-doing a '91 and I want to do the same thing, but I really don't know how to go about it.

LakePirate
05-09-2005, 03:47 PM
I would be interested in hearing about how the wet sanding goes, maybe you could put a step by step or some sort of a process together, I'm in the middle of re-doing a '91 and I want to do the same thing, but I really don't know how to go about it.

I would love to see a how to, do's and Don't for wet sanding
and gel coat refurb.

AirJunky
05-09-2005, 03:49 PM
How about lifting it by the lifting rings?

erkoehler
05-09-2005, 03:58 PM
If you have a shore station, I suppose you could do it on there???

AirJunky
05-09-2005, 04:24 PM
Don't shore stations use bunks? Seems like it would have the same problem there.

Hunterb
05-09-2005, 08:29 PM
The wet sanding was not that difficult, but it is time consuming. You can sand out some pretty significant scratches. What I did was start with 400 grit and then went to 600, 1000 and finally 1,500. You can go as fine as 2000 but I found that once it was cut polished and waxed you couldn't see the difference. If your gel-coat is not too bad then you don't need to start with 400, that's really only for scratches. I also found that hand sanding worked better than an orbital sander. It's very important to get GOOD sandpaper. Go to an automotive paint supply shop that supplies body shops for the paper, then soak the paper overnight and keep the area you are sanding really wet (I used a spray bottle). You may want to put down some cardboard on the floor, unless you want a gel-coat outline of your boat shape on the garage floor.

You have to be carefull on the corners as it is really easy to sand through the gel-coat.

I also decided that it was easier to fix the dock chips that seem to happen on the back corners (there were four on the right and two on the left) by masking out a 1/2" area on both sides of the corner that ran the full length of the coloured portion of the boat. I then applied a thin, even, layer of gel-coat and sanded it smooth. It looks like a factory bumper guard. Just make sure you take the tape off before it sets up or you'll have a heck of a mess.

One of the big problems you have with a project like this is matching the gel-coat colour. I think it's pretty well impossible to get it exact. I ordered the white from Spectrum and it was completely different than the colour of the boat, and I mean completely. It cost me a small fortune to get it to Canada and it is snow white, which the boat is not. Maybe they thought because it was Canada we all have snow white boats.

I'll post some pictures of the project shortly.

Still need to figure out how to get behind the trailer sides.

Thanks for the replies.

Bruce

sizzler
05-10-2005, 11:37 AM
ive waited 6 months for the right shade of white to arrive in the country..everyone has been wrong...finally they shipped it ,albeit to the wrong country..the boat is now in the dealership(who,i must say have been v.helpful) and i should have it back in a couple of weeks.....got a free service and other goodies for my inconveniance and a total polish to remove any scratches that have accumulated over this past year......the dealer in question is www.theskiboatzone.co.uk
mark southgate extremely helpful