PDA

View Full Version : Ballast for Area Marker Buoys

cdewet
05-09-2005, 11:44 AM
In order to keep our ski course in all the time during our short MI skiing season, we are required to have a permit from our DNR (Dept. of Natural Resources). Part of the agreement when issueing the permit (which we have now) is that we should have at least 4 area marker buoys forming a rectangular perimeter round our ski and jump course.

I have two questions on these buoys, which are the big ones with the "No Wake, Ski Course" markings one it.

1) Although these have ballast, it is not enough to keep the buoys floating upright. How much weight do I need to add hanging from it to ensure it floating upright?

2) What is a robust way of marking these anchors during our off season? We remove these markers since the lake freezes. We usually put an old turn ball on it, but last winter, some animal or something came and ate ALL the course balls and the anchors markers. :mad: Needless to say, we have to put in new anchors since the old ones cannot be found.
Sorry about the long note..... :o

erkoehler
05-09-2005, 11:51 AM
In order to keep our ski course in all the time during our short MI skiing season, we are required to have a permit from our DNR (Dept. of Natural Resources). Part of the agreement when issueing the permit (which we have now) is that we should have at least 4 area marker buoys forming a rectangular perimeter round our ski and jump course.

I have two questions on these buoys, which are the big ones with the "No Wake, Ski Course" markings one it.

1) Although these have ballast, it is not enough to keep the buoys floating upright. How much weight do I need to add hanging from it to ensure it floating upright?

2) What is a robust way of marking these anchors during our off season? We remove these markers since the lake freezes. We usually put an old turn ball on it, but last winter, some animal or something came and ate ALL the course balls and the anchors markers. :mad: Needless to say, we have to put in new anchors since the old ones cannot be found.
Sorry about the long note..... :o

Okay, let me give some of these questions a shot:

To mark the buoys in the winter months, try using a old detergent bottle. We have used these for our swim raft for a number of years without a problem. If you don't like that idea, get a huge mooring buoy and use that. They can be found in the Overtons catalog on page 144 for approx $50-75.00.

You can find marker buoys in the Overtons catalog on page 117 and they are between $160 and $180.00

cdewet
05-09-2005, 11:56 AM
Thanks. I think the huge mooring buoy would work. They're usually pretty thick-skinned, so the animal will have a hard time gnawing through that.
Regarding the marker buoys. We have the buoys, I'm looking for a number (lbs?) of the additional ballast if anyone has it.

erkoehler
05-09-2005, 11:59 AM
In the item description it says 15 pounds of ballast.

The marker buoys are styrofoam, so I doubt an animal would have to much fun with that.

cdewet
05-09-2005, 12:03 PM
Thanks again. I was on Overton's website, but couldn't find the ballast weight.
Now it is of to Home Depot for some chain and concrete. :)

erkoehler
05-09-2005, 12:06 PM
I looked it up in the catalog. But, I think it would depend alot on the water conditions.

LakePirate
05-09-2005, 12:09 PM
The marker buoys are styrofoam, so I doubt an animal would have to much fun with that.

I don't guess you have met my dog..

cdewet
05-09-2005, 12:11 PM
Sounds like a Chihuahua on heat to me.... :)

erkoehler
05-09-2005, 12:12 PM
In that case, there is a Polyform A-series buoy available in 9"-21.5". From 19.99-64.99.

That should solve the problem, but trust me, the detergent bottle works GREAT, and nobody will steal it.

LakePirate
05-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Chiuahua = squeeky toy

LakePirate
05-09-2005, 12:16 PM
That should solve the problem, but trust me, the detergent bottle works GREAT, and nobody will steal it.

However, they may check it to see if there are any fish on the end of that trot line.

cdewet
05-09-2005, 12:18 PM
However, they may check it to see if there are any fish on the end of that trot line.
LOL. Yeah, we have some of those around here too....
We believe it was a coyote, or some disgruntled home owner in the area that wanted to make it look like it was a dog.

erkoehler
05-09-2005, 12:33 PM
Are you in the Upper or Lower Peninsula?

Leroy
05-09-2005, 12:42 PM
I would believe the later, what dog swims out to the buoy and chews on it? However, along the lines of soap, sprinkle regular black pepper on it or splash on some hot sauce if that the case!

erkoehler
05-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Plus, what dog owner do you know that would knowing let there dog go out and play on a frozen lake long enough for them to eat a buoy.

ski_king
05-09-2005, 12:54 PM
I have seen bleach bottles filled with foam (in case they leak) and tied off about 6 in to 12 in. below the surface. Less chance of them being tampered with, but should be easy to find if the water is clear.

erkoehler
05-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Only do that either at the end of the season, or in a not frequently traveled area. If someone were to hit one, you could have a serious liability issue.

Dan K
05-09-2005, 01:00 PM
I use old RV antifreeze bottles and tie them off so that they are a couple of feet below the surface of the water. This helps for a couple of reasons. one they are not as affected by the ice until late in the winter since we can get 3 feet or more. Second, they are not targets for boats and or hunters during the off season. I use a cinder block as ballast for my marker bouy.

phecksel
05-09-2005, 01:28 PM
How about the used foam markers? They are usually scrapped anyway. Floating balls or other floater just below the surface is marginally successful, because the extremely murky water. It might or might not be seen.

ski36short
05-09-2005, 01:37 PM
So where are you located? Inquiring minds want to know! I would love for our permit to specify those buoys around our course.

cdewet
05-09-2005, 02:01 PM
Plus, what dog owner do you know that would knowing let there dog go out and play on a frozen lake long enough for them to eat a buoy.
We're located just West of Detroit. I was just kidding about the dog owners thing. We think it might have been something else, some or other animal with teeth that can walk on the ice and has a serious appetite for plastic. Propably wandered over from landfill a couple of miles away. :D

jimmer2880
05-10-2005, 06:36 AM
Or - just GPS all the bouys. That will get you within 5', which should be close enough to dive for them if the water isn't too cold.