PDA

View Full Version : Temp guage reading cold

oxmach
05-09-2005, 11:02 AM
I had the boat out yesterday and the gauge was registering around 150 degrees. After I stopped for an hour or so, I headed back to my place and noticed the temp gauge stayed cold, 80 degrees, even after running at my dock for 5 or 10 minutes after I got back. Lake temp is 50 degrees. I checked the hoses and the intakes are cold and the large hose after what I assume is the water pump (top of engine) was quite warm. The exhaust manifolds were cold, and the block was warm.

Could this be a faulty thermostat, just cold lake water or the temp sending unit? Where is the thermostat and temp sensor located in the 310 Predator?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
Greg

jsonova99
05-09-2005, 11:08 AM
I had the boat out yesterday and the gauge was registering around 150 degrees. After I stopped for an hour or so, I headed back to my place and noticed the temp gauge stayed cold, 80 degrees, even after running at my dock for 5 or 10 minutes after I got back. Lake temp is 50 degrees. I checked the hoses and the intakes are cold and the large hose after what I assume is the water pump (top of engine) was quite warm. The exhaust manifolds were cold, and the block was warm.

Could this be a faulty thermostat, just cold lake water or the temp sending unit? Where is the thermostat and temp sensor located in the 310 Predator?

Thanks,
Greg
80 degrees is awfully cool, I think you're getting a bad reading for some reason, unless you have a faulty thermostat that is staying open. Although I guess you just identified these problems so I'm not really helping out much, sorry :(

rem_pss308
05-09-2005, 11:47 AM
I would say it is a stuck thermostat. skidim.com can help with a new one. ALso tell you where it is at on the engine.

Engine Nut
05-09-2005, 02:38 PM

Thanks,
Greg

The 140 degree thermostat on your engine is located under a triangular shaped cast iton cover with two hoses attached to it at the front/top of the engine. The temp sender is located on the intake manifold on one side of the thermostat housing or the other. It has a single wire attached to a stud that comes out of the center of the top of the sender.

Engine Nut

cdewet
05-09-2005, 02:50 PM
Yep, sounds like a thermostat that is stuck open. Should be able to get it at most any auto parts store. You have to make sure it has the same operating temperature and flow-through rating (amount of flow that goes through the thermostat even when it is closed).

planoboy
05-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Engine Nut, there has been discussion on this and the older board regarding thermostat temperature ratings. some say the older boats, i.e., mine, '94 275 hp tbi, would run better w/ the 160 to facilitate fuel atomization.
What is your opinion? I replaced the what I think was oem 140 (it was stuck open) w/ a 160 this year.
Thanks and Regards from Plano,TX

oxmach
05-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Planoboy, out of curiosity, what made tipped you off to a faulty thermostat?

Greg

oxmach
05-09-2005, 04:13 PM
The 140 degree thermostat on your engine is located under a triangular shaped cast iton cover with two hoses attached to it at the front/top of the engine. The temp sender is located on the intake manifold on one side of the thermostat housing or the other. It has a single wire attached to a stud that comes out of the center of the top of the sender.

Engine Nut

Thanks Engine Nut. Is the swap out fairly straight forward? Are there any gaskets, seals etc. I'm a couple of hours away from the boat, and would need to pick the stuff up on the way. Will an autoparts store thermostat work, or would I be better off going to the dealer. My dealer is about an hour the opposite direction, hence if I can source more locally it would be better.

Thanks

erkoehler
05-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Order from SkiDIM.com and have it delivered!

AirJunky
05-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Will an autoparts store thermostat work, or would I be better off going to the dealer.

The auto parts thermostat will work fine.

rem_pss308
05-09-2005, 04:38 PM
Engine Nut, there has been discussion on this and the older board regarding thermostat temperature ratings. some say the older boats, i.e., mine, '94 275 hp tbi, would run better w/ the 160 to facilitate fuel atomization.
What is your opinion? I replaced the what I think was oem 140 (it was stuck open) w/ a 160 this year.
Thanks and Regards from Plano,TX

I did the same. After mine stuck open. ( identified by the temp gauge not moving much, in 70-75 degree water) I talked to Vince at Skidim.com, and he informed me about the change in the older boats, from a 140 to a 160. I pulled the old one out, and yes it was stuck. ( corroded) It had three bolts, and a gasket. the gasket came with the new thermostat. Installed it, and My engine runs fine with the 160 degree.
If it was your sending unit. Your gauge would either peg out, or not move at all.

oxmach
05-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Rem, I'm thinking thermostat based on what I searched here, but what got my attention in the first place was the guage did not move of 80. So now I'm not sure.

I might have to order in both and get it over with. I trust there is only one thermostat on the Perdator (is there another name i.e. LT-? for this engine?)

sfitzgerald351
05-09-2005, 06:04 PM
If the gauge suddenly doesn't move off the bottom (I'm assuming here that 80 might be the lowest number?) you're more likely looking at an electrical problem to the gauge than a suddenly bad thermostat. However, if the gauge does move off the bottom number and goes to 80, look at the thermostat. If the exhaust manifolds feel hot this will back up the electrical problem theory. If they are still just a tad warmer than the lake, suspect the thermostat.

For electrical problems, start with all the ground wires to the gauge and dash. They often come loose or corrode a bit. Unhook them, clean the connections and put them back. Then look at the wire from the sender and clean those connections as well. If that doesn't work, someone on here can tell you how to test the sender and gauge to see which one is the culprit.

planoboy
05-09-2005, 06:26 PM
Planoboy, out of curiosity, what made tipped you off to a faulty thermostat?

Greg
temp was running cool, around 130.
thermo was rusted.