PDA

View Full Version : Bad Weekend!

Ski-A-Rees
05-09-2005, 09:18 AM
Took her out friday night and she ran like a pro. Barefoot circles and everything. Saturday morning I put her in and she wouldn't crank to save my life. I tried dumping gas in the carborator and everything. I got mad and decided to take it back out. Well now that the boat is half way off the trailer, I attach the winch and it breaks. Things just keep getting worse by the minute. So I hate doing this but I found a telephone pole and backed the teak platform into it to push the boat on the trailer. ( Well I've done this a million times because this boat breaks down alot! ) Well I was by my self and I didn't have anyone to help me line it up straight in the middle on the platform and I broke the first board on the platform. My temper at this time is about to blow. I take it straight to the mech. because our ski team has a show sunday. Within ten minutes he found one wire in the electric ignitition that was loose. Reconnects the wire and it cranks like a car. Take it sunday morning to test drive it before the show just to make sure everything is ok. It cranked fine and drove it for about half an hour. Three hours later, it's five minutes before the show starts and it won't crank. The fuel pump is completely dead. I did get it cranked with a little cup of gas but I just couldn't imagine how much stuff when wrong this weekend. Now that I get the story out of the way, Has anyone ever replaced their old sloted teak platform with a solid teak platform. Not only would I like it because it's stronger, but I have a 454 and I though it might make a little less noise at an idle.

erkoehler
05-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Dude, sorry to hear about your weekend being so bad!

Did you get to put on the ski show?

Ski-A-Rees
05-09-2005, 09:52 AM
The show went on without a glitch. Nothing fell except for ballet, and (barefoot, DuH). The rest of the day I just let it run because it was a pain to crank after it cooled down.

erkoehler
05-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Well, the show must go on and it did, so you got a week to get her straightened out :D

tex
05-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Took her out friday night and she ran like a pro. Barefoot circles and everything. Saturday morning I put her in and she wouldn't crank to save my life. I tried dumping gas in the carborator and everything. I got mad and decided to take it back out. Well now that the boat is half way off the trailer, I attach the winch and it breaks. Things just keep getting worse by the minute. So I hate doing this but I found a telephone pole and backed the teak platform into it to push the boat on the trailer. ( Well I've done this a million times because this boat breaks down alot! ) Well I was by my self and I didn't have anyone to help me line it up straight in the middle on the platform and I broke the first board on the platform. My temper at this time is about to blow. I take it straight to the mech. because our ski team has a show sunday. Within ten minutes he found one wire in the electric ignitition that was loose. Reconnects the wire and it cranks like a car. Take it sunday morning to test drive it before the show just to make sure everything is ok. It cranked fine and drove it for about half an hour. Three hours later, it's five minutes before the show starts and it won't crank. The fuel pump is completely dead. I did get it cranked with a little cup of gas but I just couldn't imagine how much stuff when wrong this weekend. Now that I get the story out of the way, Has anyone ever replaced their old sloted teak platform with a solid teak platform. Not only would I like it because it's stronger, but I have a 454 and I though it might make a little less noise at an idle.
wow-i thought replacing a garbage disposal and not getting on the water was bad!

wesgardner
05-09-2005, 11:04 AM
When you find out how to quiet the 454, lemme know...mine's just well, loud ALL the time.

Wes

rem_pss308
05-09-2005, 12:13 PM
There was a post of someone building a new teak platform, with no slots. I cant remember if it was on the new sight, or old. There have also been a couple on wakeworld.com

You might check ebay, and/or check with a dealer. I am sure a newer boat platform would work. My neighbor has a X-9 and his is about the same size as my 205

I too have been wanting to quiet my exhaust.I have a muffler it is about 24" in length. Skidim has a new exhast silencer, I have thoughts of adding it to the muffler I have. Also have thought about getting the longer one they have that is about 40"

It is a gamble at over $100.00 each.

erkoehler
05-09-2005, 12:29 PM
Thats one of those things you want to test out and decide if you like before buying, or atleast have the option of returning it for the purchase price.

wesgardner
05-09-2005, 12:33 PM
Muffler!!?+***, I ain't got no muffler(s) (at least I don't think so)...I think mine's straight pipe (actually very gently curved rubber tube) all the way back...I've seen mufflers on other boats (not necessarily MC)...but I'm relatively new to this ski boat market.

Would these fool with the back pressure/performance? Anyone else have muffler(s)?

Wes

tex
05-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Muffler!!?+***, I ain't got no muffler(s) (at least I don't think so)...I think mine's straight pipe (actually very gently curved rubber tube) all the way back...I've seen mufflers on other boats (not necessarily MC)...but I'm relatively new to this ski boat market.

Would these fool with the back pressure/performance? Anyone else have muffler(s)?

Wes

I wish they made one for wives.

erkoehler
05-09-2005, 12:48 PM
OUCH!

I have never heard a 454 in a boat before, are they that much louder? To an annoying level?

wesgardner
05-09-2005, 01:04 PM
Mine's pretty loud IN the boat, not necessarily out the pipes (which I wouldn't mind) but at certain RPM's (and not necessarily high ones) its sort of a resonating drone...

Wes

tex
05-09-2005, 01:07 PM
At Sea World, we had a CC that was used as a prop in the show. They removed the window and motor cover. They put an engine dress up kit on and ran straight pipes on it. They also painted it with flames. It was loud as chit. After the show, fans were always asking about it. They thought it would run about 90 mph. Clueless!

Evan Jones
05-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Every inboard I have seen has some sort of Muffler in it. They are not much bigger around than the rubber pipe you have, usually made out of fiberglass. If the noise really bothers you, you could quiet it a lot with a set of mufflers.

SteveO
05-09-2005, 01:54 PM
I wish they made one (mufflers) for wives.

Tex, wasn't that your present for her yesterday? Di dyou get wet in that rainstorm last night as you slept on the porch?

sfitzgerald351
05-09-2005, 02:16 PM
I don't find that my 454 is really that loud, at least as compared to an unmuffled 351. Around the dock, the pipes are underwater so it's just a nice little burble. At speed it does get loud since it's unmuffled. But really the only people that hear it are the skier and the folks on shore. In the boat you get all the racket from the belts/accessories and just general engine drone. And the wind noise. Mufflers might quiet the exhaust down, but I doubt it will do much for the noise IN the boat. I've driven 1995 CC's with 351s, some with mufflers and some without at the ski school I worked at. The muffled ones were definitely quieter for the folks on the beach and at idle (hard to tell when they were started with the stereo going) but at speed there wasn't much of a difference in the boat. If the noise bothers you, mufflers will help and should just bolt in easily. But I wouldn't expect your boat to become 'quiet'. It'll just be less loud.

wesgardner
05-09-2005, 02:45 PM
Hey Scott,

Thanks, I stepped up from a i/o that was pretty quiet....it was only a 3.0 litre....bigger amps? more speakers?...ear plugs?

Wes

Ski-A-Rees
05-09-2005, 02:55 PM
I run straight pipes with my 454 and i don't really mind it, but when I left it running at the dock all day by all the people because I was afraid to turn it off, it was a little loud. sfitzgerald351 : said that it's not but in saltwater with waves, the pipes arn't always under water. So I would like to get a solid platform!

east tx skier
05-09-2005, 04:39 PM
Man, I hate it for you. I just came off of a month of dealing with stuff. All I can say is that you'll be so happy when it's running great again. Keep your head up.

sfitzgerald351
05-09-2005, 06:12 PM
I run straight pipes with my 454 and i don't really mind it, but when I left it running at the dock all day by all the people because I was afraid to turn it off, it was a little loud. sfitzgerald351 : said that it's not but in saltwater with waves, the pipes arn't always under water. So I would like to get a solid platform!

Ah yes. I could see how that would be annoying. Not sure a solid platform would do much for you and might be a new problem. There is a lot of force on that platform and it's not the strongest connection to a transom I've ever seen (though I do forget what year you have). On my 84' I'd be worried that with a solid platform I'd end up having the water on the back work the brackets loose until they either busted or probably more likely tore out of the transom. I'd fix your existing platform and buy some mufflers.

sfitzgerald351
05-09-2005, 06:14 PM
Hey Scott,

Thanks, I stepped up from a i/o that was pretty quiet....it was only a 3.0 litre....bigger amps? more speakers?...ear plugs?

Wes

I'd start with foam in the engine box. East Tx did a nice job with his motor box that I think would be a great start. Do a search for motor box or engine box and you should find it.

Then it depends what you want. If you don't want to annoy all the neighbors at your lake, get mufflers. If, like me you don't boat on a lake near houses, invest in a better stereo. :D

tex
05-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Tex, wasn't that your present for her yesterday? Di dyou get wet in that rainstorm last night as you slept on the porch?

Not for my beautifu bride-nothing but sweetness comes out of her mouth.

east tx skier
05-09-2005, 06:22 PM
The insulation I went with is working well and is easy to patch if it gets scraped. The only drawback is that it's very bulky. I've had to trim out portions to make room for my flame arrestor (after the new intake raised everything up), and the perfect pass servo, which had to be relocated to line up my throttle cable better.

BriEOD and others have had their motor boxes sprayed with Line-X and had good results. I'm sure they'll chime in with some info for you. I personally think the Line-X is a cleaner look, but I don't know how much noise suppression it offers by comparison.

wesgardner
05-10-2005, 09:59 AM
I used to line sailboat engine "rooms" with lead-lined foam as many were set-up with the desiel RIGHT next to the "owner's stateroom" (in many cases just a bunk in a dark hole)...

My boat right now has foam (no lead) on the inside of the box and its a bit "worn"... but it couldn't hurt to do a "proper" job....as far as the noise out the back, I'm not really too worried.

Wes

ematthew
05-12-2005, 01:27 PM
I have a teak platform from a 2003 205V that I am going to sell on ebay soon. I am in the Chicago area, but would also ship if the buyer was willing to pay the cost. I don't know if this would work for your boat but if you are interested let me know.

Ski-A-Rees
05-12-2005, 02:10 PM
I'm interested! I'm still looking around though. Send pictures if you have any.