PDA

View Full Version : Confederate Memorial Day

BriEOD
05-09-2005, 07:45 AM
My daughter has off from school tomorrow for Confederate Memorial Day. :noface: Out of curiosity, do any other States declare this a holiday or is it only SC, the catalyst of the Civil War?

jsonova99
05-09-2005, 08:04 AM
My daughter has off from school tomorrow for Confederate Memorial Day. :noface: Out of curiosity, do any other States declare this a holiday or is it only SC, the catalyst of the Civil War?

I have never heard of such a thing. I don't want to be mean, but that is what "official" Memorial day is for, to honor every American who died. I don' think there should be a separate confederate holiday, although it's a state thing so I guess there's no harm done.

Ski-A-Rees
05-09-2005, 08:41 AM
Thats weird... I have never heard of that before!

H20skeefreek
05-09-2005, 08:50 AM
It's becuase the "War of Northern Aggression" is just on sieze fire. Don't ya know that the confederacy is still a soveriegn nation? That's SC for you.

Leroy
05-09-2005, 09:07 AM
Brian; That war is over, what else is going on there? Confederate flags on cars and boats? :eek: I'll check with my 10 daughter year old tonight.

6ballsisall
05-09-2005, 09:40 AM
Wow! Sounds like a Southern thing. I am kind of suprised that sort of thing still gets celebrated today.

erkoehler
05-09-2005, 09:50 AM
As an adult, I don't think that it should be recognized. :mad:

As a kid, what the hell, its another day off! :D

sizzler
05-09-2005, 10:09 AM
we dont need any adults on this board chaps :banana:

pilot02
05-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Georgia recognizes it as a holiday for state employees....

I was off! YEAH!!!

tex
05-09-2005, 10:25 AM
We get almost every holiday off here in Texas. Never heard of that one.

lakes Rick
05-09-2005, 11:22 AM
Wrong or right, it is still a piece of history.. I get tired of people sticking their heads in the sand over the TRUTH when it isn't PC.. Our kids are not even being taught the TRUE history of the US..

Maybe we need to study African, Mexican, and Chinese history instead of AMERICAN history......

" America is like a beautiful women dying from cancer"

jsonova99
05-09-2005, 11:25 AM
Wrong or right, it is still a piece of history.. I get tired of people sticking their heads in the sand over the TRUTH when it isn't PC.. Our kids are not even being taught the TRUE history of the US..

Maybe we need to study African, Mexican, and Chinese history instead of AMERICAN history......

" America is like a beautiful women dying from cancer"

I do agree with you about teaching our kids the true history of the US, but I don't think we need a holiday for the confederacy, again, I think Memorial Day is intended to Memorialize all American in all wars.

LakePirate
05-09-2005, 11:32 AM
Drum roll please....

The "War of Northern Aggression” was just that. Contrary to popular belief, the Civil War was not fought because the Southern States wanted to have slaves, or that they didn't like people of color, that is the easiest way for the writers of history (the winners of wars) to justify what they did. However, the industrial north was dependent upon the agricultural south for the raw materials it needed to be successful. With the South seceding from the Union, it created a situation where the north would be in competition for the raw materials with other countries. This was clearly unacceptable, hence the war. Confederate soldiers deserve to be remembered for their bravery, courage and dedication. My great-great grandfather left Georgia and fought with the Volunteers of Tennessee only to die on the battle field. While it is an ugly few chapters in a history book for most of America, there are daily reminders of things like Sherman's Bloody March to Sea, where he raped, pillaged and burned a path from Atlanta to Savannah, to take the war to the families of the Rebels. It is extremely unfortunate that the Confederate Battle Flag has been associated with groups from all over the world as a symbol of hate. The St. Andrew's cross was not initially used to support those feelings and it irks me to no end that it has been used that way in history and in the present.

Please do not pass judgment about a war that affected so many like it is some slime on the bottom of a slalom buoy; just a nasty inconvenience.

Thank you for your time.

-James

LakePirate
05-09-2005, 11:34 AM
I am Glad I live in Georgia which still Recognizes Confederate Memorial Day.

rem_p
05-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Drum roll please....

The "War of Northern Aggression” was just that. Contrary to popular belief, the Civil War was not fought because the Southern States wanted to have slaves, or that they didn't like people of color, that is the easiest way for the writers of history (the winners of wars) to justify what they did. However, the industrial north was dependent upon the agricultural south for the raw materials it needed to be successful. With the South seceding from the Union, it created a situation where the north would be in competition for the raw materials with other countries. This was clearly unacceptable, hence the war. Confederate soldiers deserve to be remembered for their bravery, courage and dedication. My great-great grandfather left Georgia and fought with the Volunteers of Tennessee only to die on the battle field. While it is an ugly few chapters in a history book for most of America, there are daily reminders of things like Sherman's Bloody March to Sea, where he raped, pillaged and burned a path from Atlanta to Savannah, to take the war to the families of the Rebels. It is extremely unfortunate that the Confederate Battle Flag has been associated with groups from all over the world as a symbol of hate. The St. Andrew's cross was not initially used to support those feelings and it irks me to no end that it has been used that way in history and in the present.

Please do not pass judgment about a war that affected so many like it is some slime on the bottom of a slalom buoy; just a nasty inconvenience.

Thank you for your time.

-James

I couldnt agree more...Here in Alabama i can honestly say i never remember having a day off from school for Confederate Memorial Day....I do remember the Lee/King holiday but thats about it....and while it is unfortunate that the south has been portrayed in the way they have, this is still our Heritage, as a Southerner, and as an American our History...public schools do a poor job of teaching American History to students in this day and time.

SteveO
05-09-2005, 11:28 PM
Officially recognized in GA and SC. You would think Alabama would be right in the mix. Gotta love the south. I can almost hear the Dukes of Hazard theme song....

rem_p
05-09-2005, 11:33 PM
Officially recognized in GA and SC. You would think Alabama would be right in the mix. Gotta love the south. I can almost hear the Dukes of Hazard theme song....

yea, thats what political correctness will do for you....we got the First Little White House of the Confederacy here though.

MasterMason
05-09-2005, 11:41 PM
My aunt traced our family history back, and somehow I am related to Jefferson Davis, so I have that going for me....

Lance
05-09-2005, 11:43 PM
I recently saw a bumper sticker near Richmond, VA which read:

North 1
South 0

Halftime

AirJunky
05-09-2005, 11:59 PM
Doesn't surprise me at all. I went to jr high & high school in both Texas, where they teach Texas history & Washington, where they teach US history......... two very different views of the same story.

LakePirate
05-10-2005, 11:39 AM
I recently saw a bumper sticker near Richmond, VA which read:

North 1
South 0

Halftime

That is great :uglyhamme

LakePirate
05-10-2005, 11:41 AM
Some school systems observe Confederate Memorial Day some do not. Some systems give students the day off and call it a teacher work day. However, all government offices are closed.