PDA

View Full Version : Mc & dealer's returning phones

rbcoffin-tt
05-09-2005, 07:21 AM
:confused: Many body out there having trouble with Mastercraft factory or the Dealers calling you back? I have been with Mastercraft for over 18+ years and I beleive they make the best boat out there, but I can't seem to get any one to return my phones calls? who do you call and talk to about this? :uglyhamme

BriEOD
05-09-2005, 07:48 AM
Who do you call and talk to about this? :uglyhamme

JD Power and Associates! ;) Kidding, Kidding.

To busy cranking out boats man!! Go MC!!

H20skeefreek
05-09-2005, 08:42 AM
I agree. I haven't tried to call them, but I've sent about 4 email in regards to Team MC. When I was shopping for boats and looking at a CC, I called the factory one day. I talked to a very nice lady on the phone, and she said she couldn't really answer my questions about 1990 boats, so she'd have someone call me back. Within a 1/2 hour the vice president of the company called me back and shipped me a 5 lb. box full of old literature and stuff. It would seem that if MC wants to be #1 they would spend some more time on the customers and not just building new boats. That's the problem with many large companies. They only care about the customer that currently wants to buy a car/boat/grill/whatever etc.....forget the past customer that may be a future customer.

MarkP
05-09-2005, 01:39 PM
:confused: Many body out there having trouble with Mastercraft factory or the Dealers calling you back? I have been with Mastercraft for over 18+ years and I beleive they make the best boat out there, but I can't seem to get any one to return my phones calls? who do you call and talk to about this? :uglyhamme
I donít know crash.. I can tell you who not to call about it.

My closest dealer!! Bills Midway Marina.. They have not called me back, EVEN after a follow-up call by me!!

Cloaked
05-09-2005, 06:02 PM
I don’t know crash.. I can tell you who not to call about it.

:eek: Katie?? :eek:

:D :D

rbcoffin-tt
05-11-2005, 07:19 AM
:mad: I can tell you this much. if it wasn't for Mastercraft being best boat out there the dealer's would not be in busness. I just don't understand why you would not return phone calls. Mastercraft need to post something or tell us were to send complains. it's not just a reflection on the dealer as it is the company it self. one can only hope it will get better. I have called the factory now four times and can't get them to call me back? :twocents:

jimmer2880
05-11-2005, 07:47 AM
I donít know crash.. I can tell you who not to call about it.

My closest dealer!! Bills Midway Marina.. They have not called me back, EVEN after a follow-up call by me!!

Don't head to the dealer at Deep Creek Lake either - they're worthless also.

rbcoffin-tt
05-12-2005, 09:32 AM
What is it with these dealers? I have heard from to many people saying not to use this dealer or that one. masterCraft needs to stop and take a good look at what is really happening at the dealer. Way to many complains about the dealer and not returning phone calls. :eek:

east tx skier
05-12-2005, 04:17 PM
I tried to order parts on three separate occasions last year from my somewhat nearby MC dealer. Frustrated by their inability to return my phone calls, I have sworn never to give them business again. If they can't get the simple things right and are consistent about their inability to do so, I write them off because imagine how they might leave you in a lurch when it's more critical.

adkins1966
05-19-2005, 03:54 PM
I have tried on four different occasions to order parts from a nearby (Bennetts in Zachary Louisiana) mastercraft dealership, and every time I have called them, they say that their associates are either busy with another customer or out to lunch. So I give them my name and number expecting a call back, yah right. Four times I have done this, and I even followed up two of those times to see if they lost my number or forgot, another waste of my time. So, while shopping for a tower for my boat, I see that the closest places that sell/install the Monster tower are the Bennetts (which aint ever happening) and another place called Melton Marine in Slidell LA. Melton Marine deals primarily in CC, but the motors on these boats are all pretty much the same. I call them up, talk to the owner of the dealership, and have since dropped it off to get a tower installed along with a few things I needed done. The point of my story is, I gave Mastercraft an honest attempt to help me out, and of course since I am not planning on buying a new boat this year, they don't care to even talk to me. But that's alright, I'll remember that when I purchase my next boat. Oh yah, www.skidim.com is also a savior when trying to figure these boats out and order parts.

tex
05-19-2005, 03:58 PM
I have tried on four different occasions to order parts from a nearby (Bennetts in Zachary Louisiana) mastercraft dealership, and every time I have called them, they say that their associates are either busy with another customer or out to lunch. So I give them my name and number expecting a call back, yah right. Four times I have done this, and I even followed up two of those times to see if they lost my number or forgot, another waste of my time. So, while shopping for a tower for my boat, I see that the closest places that sell/install the Monster tower are the Bennetts (which aint ever happening) and another place called Melton Marine in Slidell LA. Melton Marine deals primarily in CC, but the motors on these boats are all pretty much the same. I call them up, talk to the owner of the dealership, and have since dropped it off to get a tower installed along with a few things I needed done. The point of my story is, I gave Mastercraft an honest attempt to help me out, and of course since I am not planning on buying a new boat this year, they don't care to even talk to me. But that's alright, I'll remember that when I purchase my next boat. Oh yah, www.skidim.com is also a savior when trying to figure these boats out and order parts.
Sounds like you took care of this situation perfectly. New Orleans and Mastercrafts-2 of my favorite things!

east tx skier
05-19-2005, 04:12 PM

Just about identical to my sitiuation. Gave my local MC, Texas MC, first crack, and after they failed to return 3 phone calls (and I'd already spoken to them and asked them to look into a specific part), I took my business elsewhere and will continue to do so.

But as some have had good experiences with TXMC, I'll throw in that that hasn't been my experience with Bennetts, who have, over the last 6 mos., been very good about getting back with me. Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. I know how it feels. It should be the easiest thing for them to do, and just a death blow in terms of customer service, when they don't call back.

School Skier
05-19-2005, 04:28 PM
I think most of these dealers and boat companies are doing so well and don't really care if they sell something or not.

adkins1966
05-19-2005, 04:36 PM
That's a good possibility, but nothing lasts forever.

wakesport
05-19-2005, 05:12 PM

I have never tried to order from Bennets. But, I did get the chance to stay there and ski for a weekend. Ann & Jay Bennet were very well organized. They run a first class place. When we looked at going there they were very helpful on the phone and by mail. If you are having difficulties there I would suggest you speak to Ann or Jay directly. I'm sure they would want to know of any problems you are experiencing with their staff.

H2OGirl
05-20-2005, 10:14 AM
I have to admitt that even through all our troubles, getting someone to return a phone call was not one of the problems. The dealership was very good at getting back to us as were the people at the factory that I spoke with. I never had any trouble getting calls returned. Maybe because of our troubles? Are you calling the factory direct or calling the 800 customer service number?

If I was MC when I saw my number on the caller ID I'd would've ran the other way! :purplaugh

Tom023
05-20-2005, 10:39 AM
I think most of these dealers and boat companies are doing so well and don't really care if they sell something or not.

I agree, many boat dealers and car dealers live day-to-day, month-to-month, or ten-day sales reporting period to the next; but I believe the manufacturers have a longer-term view of their customers. H20girl is a good example of MC's understanding of just that. On the few occasions I have called MC they have been very helpful. I also think my dealer is very good, but at the same time, the parts department has never called me back when they said they would. I just now know they won't going in and don't expect it anymore. You would think they would be more customer centric, but that's just par for the course I guess for car and boat dealers alike.

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-20-2005, 11:01 AM
It's a shame that the 2 hottest topics on this site seem to be rants against dealers posting the MasterCraft name on their buidings. I'm sure for each of our horror stories, there are many more smooth/happy transactions and experiences.
I have (for the most part) left my horror story of the sites, but MC is fully away that my local dealer will get absolutely zero business from me in the future. Unfortunately, that leaves me feeling like I'm on a island with no MC dealer for 100 miles or more.
I'm hoping to see more MasterCraft ONLY dealerships around that understand a MasterCraft is a first class boat, and MasterCraft customers expect first class experience(s).
OK...small rant done, but bitterness remains... :(

MinnX-10
05-20-2005, 11:38 AM
It is really too bad that with such high quality boats, some of you are receiving such poor service. Our dealer here in Minneapolis is wonderful! For example, I was in a few weeks ago and mentioned in passing that I had popped one of the bimini clips off, and lost it in the lake. About a week later, I received a call saying that they had found one for me and had it waiting for me when I could stop by! I didn't have to call them or place any special order or anything, they just took it upon themselves to take care of a customer.

From the time we purchased the boat, till just the other day, nothing but professional service! I don't know how I would feel buying such a high quality boat and receiving such poor service from the dealer!?

(BTW... they are a Mastercraft ONLY dealer!!)

WakeSeeky
05-20-2005, 12:24 PM
I have to chime in here too and say that our dealer here in Vegas is great, nothing but good things to say about them. Maybe not enough gets said about the good dealers. I guess it just depends where you're at, here it's Another Major Brand stuck with the crummy dealer.

And, yeah, it's a MasterCraft only dealer, although they are picking up a line of I/Os in the near future.

SD190EVO
05-20-2005, 12:36 PM
I can see why the factory might not call you back. This is why they have dealers, to field questions so they can focus on R&D and manufacturing.

If the dealer won't call you back, call a different one. Pretty simple, this is still America - we can do business with whomever we like.

It is hard enough in sales to get a warm-lead, if you're not calling back your leads you don't deserve the deal...

00_x5
05-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Try Mastercraft of Charlotte.

They are pretty helpful.

They have a real good webpage. www.mymastercraft.com

6ballsisall
05-23-2005, 07:48 PM
As in any organization leadership from the top always has the opportunity to "mold" the business; this includes the dedication to customer service and customer focused activities. I have read quite a few articles about John Dorton and from my personal opinion, it seems as though the culture we are experiencing from MC may be one created from his management style. (if I get banned from the board tommorrow everyone knows why :D ) To John's credit he has played an integral role in growing new business ventures and creating new capital opportunities. Maybe a more customer focused approach in their business strategy would keep loyal MC owners thinking twice about buying another brand.

JohnnyBoy
06-02-2005, 04:30 PM
Have you tried Discount Inboard Marine ? They have alot of parts . They are better than going to dealer, I have had the same problem with the dealer in my area. thier more interested in selling a new boat, than selling parts,

Waterski-Marcoisland
06-05-2005, 10:57 PM
The closest dealer is 4 hours away.. Bay Area Water Sports

Any closer ?
Naples Florida

jmac197
06-05-2005, 11:50 PM
Get this....I'm in the market to upgrade my 02 197. I called my two closest dealers....each 3 hours away....to inquire about prices and availability. That was on Monday and Tuesday. The first one, where I purchased the 02, just started spouting MSRP. I can get that online. I asked for what the price would be....They said they'd get back to me. Well I haven't heard from them yet. You know...if they can't support you before the sale, how are they going to do it after?

Tomorrow I'm going to call the local...ulp..Natique dealer. Sorry guys, I'm just about at the end of my line. I love the boat, but my local dealer network is for the birds.....

Later
Jim

SD190EVO
06-06-2005, 09:47 AM
On the flip-side. It sucks in sales when you have someone calling around tire-kicking. Its tough getting too detailed on the phone because you give your best price and then they just call another dealer and use what you just gave them against you... "if you can beat bla bla bla..." and you just lost a deal over pennies. You really want to work with someone who makes the effort to come in.

They should be calling you back, but as a buyer, you need to have your budget established and be ready to sign a contract. That is where you'll get your final price. Cant sign over the phone.

jmac197
06-06-2005, 09:59 AM
SD190EVO

I can appreciate that....but I just want to find a dealer that I can establish a relationship with. That is one thing that we as consumers can do to get better service. If the dealer knows that you are loyal to their dealership, they should be more willing to put in the extra effort to help out a "friend".

Now, it's hard to establish a relationship with someone who doesn't give back. It is as if they do not trust the buyer, and if they continually lose customers, maybe they need to rethink their sales strategy.

Later
Jim

jmac197
06-06-2005, 10:00 AM
I forgot to add....with the nearest dealer 3 hours away, it's kind of hard to drop in and talk.

SD190EVO
06-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Believe me, I am totally with you on this. I was just thinking as a sales guy. I guess the point is, that initial phone call should be about the need not the budget.

In sales there are 3 criteria that have to be met to close a deal. Need, timeframe and budget. Do you have the need and do I have something that will fulfill that need. When do you need it and do you have the cash?

A competent sales person would steer the phone call to the need. "We have 2 units that fit your requirements exactly, we should arrange a water test to see if you like..."

I'm not saying a deal cant close without a face to face. I purchased my last pickup over the phone after seeing it from the freeway. No test drive or anything.

Again-good luck and I hope you find a way to stay with M/C.

jkski
06-06-2005, 03:00 PM
I am somewhat new to this board, but not new to MC or my local dealership, Mid-Ohio Watersports. I have been dealing with them for years and can hoestly say that they have never let me down. I was going on vacation to TN last year, and stopped for a night at a hotel. I came out the next morning and was just checking over my trailer when I noticed that the drivers side oil bath cap had come off and there was no oil left to lube the wheel bearing. At 6am I called my local dealer on his cell phone, which he readily gives out to anyone, and he talked me through how to fix my problem and got me back on the road. Further, he called me during the week to make sure that everything was OK and called me when I arrived home to check again. This problem wasn't anything that the dealer caused, most likely it was someone who was curious and stood on the cover to take a peak into the boat. Needless to say, and it may seem small, but they saved my vacation, all with a phone call.
This is just one of many examples that I am aware of in my dealer going above and beyond. If you have problems, I am sure they would like your business, just got to www.midohiowatersports.com and you'll find their contact info. I can tell you that right now they are very busy, however, they will return your call, just ask for Chris.

jmac197
06-23-2005, 02:25 PM
Sorry to dig up an old thread....but I finally crossed the line....after several calls to several area MC dealers and getting no responses...I called the local Correct Craft dealer. We'll see if they give me a call back.

Don't these guys realize they are going to miss out on putting 40K+ in their books?

Later
Jim

rodltg2
06-23-2005, 02:36 PM
what is it you are looking to do? buy a new boat?

jmac197
06-23-2005, 02:41 PM
Yes!! I want to upgrade my '02 197. It's a great boat! but my son is getting into wakeboarding. I'd rather take the cash for the cost of a tower, bags, and new cover and put it towards a new 197 with a tower and all that. Actually, an X-7 without the graphics would be perfect. I know I could order it that way.....If I can get someone to call me back.

There was one dealer who did call me back, however because of MC's regionalizing their markets, they were unable to sell me a boat. Whatever happened to the open market...

Later
Jim

rodltg2
06-23-2005, 02:45 PM
find it hard to believe they dont call back. to bad your to far away , my dealer here has a bunch he would be happy to sell.

LakePirate
06-23-2005, 02:47 PM
Try the links that are provided on the site for this sort of thing.

jmac197
06-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Which links are you talking about? On the MC site to find a local dealer?

LakePirate
06-23-2005, 02:57 PM
Try this
http://www.tmcowners.com/index.php?page=con_main

rodltg2
06-23-2005, 02:58 PM
ill swap you boats. mine has all the wakeboard crap on it. you'll just have to wait until they figure out what the hell is wrong with it.

LakePirate
06-23-2005, 03:00 PM
mine has all the wakeboard crap on it.

:uglyhamme

jmac197
06-23-2005, 03:02 PM
Awesome...I left my note requesting that they have one of my local dealers call me. I'll let you know what happens.

Lake Pirate....I never knew of that page. Thanks for the link!!!!

Jim

John B
06-23-2005, 03:02 PM
One Mastercraft dealer that will call you back is
Rambo Marine . :headbang:
A friend of mine order a new cup holder for the engine cover for his 94 PS 190.
Were in California,and he is back there some where.
He has call my friend back several times on this one thing.
He called this morning wail we there on the lake (cell phone) to make sure the shipping address he has is right. :D

jmac197
06-23-2005, 03:06 PM
I've fought my son on this as long as I could...I'm a skiing purest at heart. The time has come to stop denying and start helping.

Rodltg, I think it's the wakeboard crap that's causing all the problems. I knew it, I knew it

Later
Jim

jmac197
06-23-2005, 03:06 PM
John B,

Because of MC's regionalization we cannot choose which dealership we buy from. They spread their dealerships out so no one is competing with another MC dealership. It makes marketing and business sense, unless you're on the other side of the checkbook.

You can buy parts from whomever....at least I have.

Later
Jim

rodltg2
06-23-2005, 03:50 PM
thats weird, i know out here we can buy from whom ever. there are two big mc dealers in my area and i was talking to both until i made my choice. i think its unfair not to let the consumer decided where they can buy thre boat.

Granite_33
06-23-2005, 03:53 PM
I called around to any and all MC (including some CC or BU) dealerships that had what I was looking for.
You are right on the regionalization. Although I believe this to be mainly emphasized for new boat sales, which there is not too much price negotiation over. Not sure about used and closeouts. I believe that it is also meant to give the smaller volume guy a chance at competing with larger boat dealerships. Many mftrs do this, so it is not uncommon.

I live in OH and bought my 04 MC in MI, so I know on some sitting inventory, they will deal.

I do know that the dealers talk to each other, since I received a call from our local dealer about a boat that a dealer in WI had in inventory. If memory serves, they were going to honor the price the WI dealer had it advertised for.

jmac197
06-23-2005, 03:55 PM
This is one of the sources of information that has lead me to the regionalization conclusion. It is from LakePirates link

"Q: Who do I contact about becoming a MasterCraft dealer?
A: MasterCraft has specific requirements for becoming a dealer. The territory must be available or under review. Prospective MasterCraft dealers must provide a written business plan, along with financial projections."

There is nothing preventing me from going to the two closest dealers...One is 3 hours to the west and one is 3 hours to the east.

Maybe I should open my own dealership?

east tx skier
06-23-2005, 04:28 PM
John B,

Because of MC's regionalization we cannot choose which dealership we buy from. They spread their dealerships out so no one is competing with another MC dealership. It makes marketing and business sense, unless you're on the other side of the checkbook.

You can buy parts from whomever....at least I have.

Later
Jim

I didn't buy my boat at a local dealer. My father-in-law bought his in another State.

tex
06-23-2005, 04:34 PM
i have a friend who owns a bu dealership in a small market. when i was buying my 197, i contacted them to see if i could get a steal on a bu from them. they would not touch it due to the bu dealership in our area. the bu dealership here could not match the price that mc gave me on my 197. let's see-better boat-lower price-i was glad my friend didn't sell me a boat.

jmac197
06-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Check this out.....I used LakePirates link to let MC know my dealer contact troubles at 2:15...It is now 3:45 and I just got off the phone with my local dealer. They called about 1/2 hour ago.

So it took MC about an hour to get on the horn and do what they had to do to get the dealership to call me. They were very apologetic.

We now know corporate is listening!!!

Later
Jim

Workin' 4 Toys
06-23-2005, 09:24 PM
I will tell you, they are listening/reading. I bought my boat at a somewhat local dealer, I did not have the best experience with the purchase. So now I took my service, parts and supplies business elsewhere to another MC dealer (more than an hour to each one way). We all go there now and I am sure we put a quite a few extra dollars in there bottom line just in "stuff". And we will all be getting our future MC's from them. So in the long run the dealer that figured it out on their own, (customer service matters), is getting the business. I would suggest shopping around even if a long distance and getting to know someone at a local dealer, and respect them as you wish to be respected. Start out with a visit and meet the people, let me tell you it pays off.
Oh, and I have had many, many conversations with MC people, email and phone. They have ALWAYS been outstanding and pleasant, and have gotten back to me right away.

Granite_33
06-24-2005, 12:57 AM
Check this out.....I used LakePirates link to let MC know my dealer contact troubles at 2:15...It is now 3:45 and I just got off the phone with my local dealer. They called about 1/2 hour ago.

So it took MC about an hour to get on the horn and do what they had to do to get the dealership to call me. They were very apologetic.

We now know corporate is listening!!!

Later
Jim
Mastercraft will always have the satisfaction of the owner in their best interest. The best selling tool that has been around forever is positive word of mouth. MC is solid on that. They know that the good word of mouth and bad word of mouth travels fast.

I bought my MC from an MC only dealer. Nothing but MC's. The salesman owns an MC, owner owns an MC. Service awards from MC. Very responsive. That speaks volumes to me.

The dealers that carry MC as one of 7 lines.......I question whether they really get what MC is all about, its probably just another boat line to them.

TrevorA
07-18-2005, 11:48 PM
Same experience here in the Seattle area. Call Cope & McPhetres Marine in Renton and leave a message for service. Usually I just call, leave a message and call back about 5 minutes later. Eventually I get through, but nobody ever returns calls. They might as well say, don't bother leaving a message we're not going to call you back anyways. I understand they are busy, but here in Seattle we only get 3 or 4 months a year of sunshine. When we have issues at the very least I expect a returned phone call.

jmac197
07-19-2005, 12:38 AM
What about email? We are all obviously internet savvy, I would even accept a 12 hour response via email. After I get home from work, eat, do chores, and put the kids to bed I have to hit the email circuit to finish up on contacting people about any work issues that cropped up during the day. Why couldn't those dealers do the same?

I think we all understand that this is their busy season, but only because we are all out enjoying and some times breaking their products.

My recent experience with the local dealer has changed my outlook towards them. I'm glad corporate got involved and set the tone.

Remember...if you are presenting problems without possible solutions, you are only complaining....sorry

parrish1
07-19-2005, 12:38 AM
I can tell you the same song and dance as far as not returning calls---it took 4.5 months to get a factory bimini that was paid for at the purchase of an 05 x-star and paid for again to get it re-ordered. They sent me an 04 top so I was told to purchase another to expedite the ordering of the correct one???? Finally got the correct one today 7-17-05. I bought the boat 2-14-05. Many unreturned calls from the dealer and factory. I would gladly tell my story in detail to John Dorton if he'd like. However, as sad and pitiful as the customer service was on that issue I have had absolutely wonderful service and a genuine desire to meet my needs delivered by Rambo Marine in Hazel Green Alabama and also MC boats in Conway, Arkansas. The bimini issue was a different dealership in every way from these two.

tex
07-19-2005, 10:42 AM
Not to threadjack too much. Jeff Knight has left Texas Mastercraft to go work at Full Bore Cycle. For those of us who know Jeff-This is a terrible loss for us. He always has treated me great and I will miss dropping by at closing time to throw back a few cold beers with him. I hear great things about his replacement(Adrian). I hope he's of legal drinking age! Good Luck Jeff!

smsunman1
07-19-2005, 12:47 PM
I agree. I haven't tried to call them, but I've sent about 4 email in regards to Team MC. When I was shopping for boats and looking at a CC, I called the factory one day. I talked to a very nice lady on the phone, and she said she couldn't really answer my questions about 1990 boats, so she'd have someone call me back. Within a 1/2 hour the vice president of the company called me back and shipped me a 5 lb. box full of old literature and stuff. It would seem that if MC wants to be #1 they would spend some more time on the customers and not just building new boats. That's the problem with many large companies. They only care about the customer that currently wants to buy a car/boat/grill/whatever etc.....forget the past customer that may be a future customer.
Sometimes I get the impression that CC is a better company, but that could change when Mr. Maloon steps down

G-man
07-19-2005, 01:16 PM
smsunman I have to disagree with your statement on Mr. Maloon steping down. The dealers make or break a brand of boat. Locally we have all the big brands of boats, MC, CC, BU, Supra, & tige. The dealers with the better service have more comeback business.

smsunman1
07-19-2005, 04:40 PM
Mr Maloon still goes to most of the CC get togethers and makes it a point to be on the grounds to speak to the owners, very family like. I just have the impression that if you got a lemon you could call to orlando and they would make it right. Very personable Christian family.

smsunman1
07-19-2005, 04:55 PM
smsunman I have to disagree with your statement on Mr. Maloon steping down. The dealers make or break a brand of boat. Locally we have all the big brands of boats, MC, CC, BU, Supra, & tige. The dealers with the better service have more comeback business.
Yea and CC has better dealers.