PDA

View Full Version : Green Egg Grill

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

6ballsisall
05-08-2005, 11:53 PM
Who all here has one of these Green Egg Grills. For those that do, how do you like them? Do you use that in place of having a regular gas grill? Is it easy to smoke things in? What size do you have?

bradamerry
05-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Farmer has like two, they do very well..

MasterMason
05-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Who all here has one of these Green Egg Grills. For those that do, how do you like them? Do you use that in place of having a regular gas grill? Is it easy to smoke things in? What size do you have?

I have the large. It is incredible. They cost a bit, but you won't be sorry if you get one. Smoking in it consistes of starting fire, adding wood chunks, and stablizing it at temp. I can only think of one thing that I ever used my gas grill for that I don't think the egg would be good for, and that is bbq'd oysters, because there is no way to have only 1 half of the egg cooking and the other half just at a heating temp.

MasterMason
05-15-2005, 10:43 PM
I tried the pizza's tonight..... man they were good, and that was the first effort... I bet they are even better next time. :friday:

Farmer Ted
05-15-2005, 11:08 PM
I tried the pizza's tonight..... man they were good, and that was the first effort... I bet they are even better next time. :friday:

Let's see some pixs!

Did ribs today....

each slab came in at just under 3 lbs

MasterMason
05-15-2005, 11:09 PM
Let's see some pixs!

I will post them in a little bit, the first ones are gone, and waiting on the oldest son to get here to cook the rest.

Farmer Ted
05-15-2005, 11:11 PM
here's a shot after about 3 hours at 200.

I roasted my felt seal last time I did pizza so I had to use some foil for a quick fix to keep a good seal.

Got-R-Done!

Farmer Ted
05-15-2005, 11:16 PM

Jeff,

I've got the Large and a Mini. They are the Mastercrafts of BBQ! You can do almost anything on them, although the size is somewhat limited (good excuse to get 2) if you get one you won't be disappointed.

T

BriEOD
06-16-2006, 09:16 PM
Well, I got home tonight and this was sitting by the pool with a bow on it. We are going to do some filets tomorrow. I can't wait.

Farmer, I hope you're right buddy!!

erkoehler
06-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Do you guys use these grills if you just want to cook a few burgers or a piece of chicken?

How long does it take to get them going?

BriEOD
06-16-2006, 09:56 PM
You sure do/can Eric. I have not used mine yet, but I read it only takes a few minutes to heat.

6ballsisall
06-16-2006, 09:58 PM
Those things are SWEET!! Enjoy Brian! :wavey:

Footin
06-16-2006, 10:00 PM
Are you going to get one Jeff?

(deb said she was going to get me one for my b-day)

:uglyhamme

6ballsisall
06-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Are you going to get one Jeff?

(deb said she was going to get me one for my b-day)

:uglyhamme

Funny guy............. :rolleyes:

Probably not. I posted this a year ago when we were looking to get a new grill. We ended up getting a nice Stainless Steel Gas Grill instead. I do enjoy it's simplicity.

Footin
06-16-2006, 10:07 PM
We just got a Charmglow stainless, nice piece.

BriEOD
06-16-2006, 10:24 PM
I do enjoy it's simplicity.
I am watching the CD tutorial for this baby (yes it comes with a CD) and I'm telling you this thing is simple. Pour in the charcoal, light it and wait 7-8 minutes for it to heat. Voila!

My LP grill isn't any more simple. I can't wait to test the product. You can smoke, grill, bake, roast ... pretty sweet!

Hoosier Bob
06-16-2006, 10:25 PM
The Dolphins Better Kick Some Arse This Year!!!! :d

6ballsisall
06-16-2006, 10:27 PM
I am watching the CD tutorial for this baby (yes it comes with a CD) and I'm telling you this thing is simple. Pour in the charcoal, light it and wait 7-8 minutes for it to heat. Voila!

My LP grill isn't any more simple. I can't wait to test the product. You can smoke, grill, bake, roast ... pretty sweet!

Stop Brian!! If I buy one more thing right now I'll be sleeping in the boat!!! :eek:

BriEOD
06-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Stop Brian!! If I buy one more thing right now I'll be sleeping in the boat!!! :eek:
I was actually talking to ETS today about getting a new "to me" boat.

6ballsisall
06-16-2006, 10:30 PM
I was actually talking to ETS today about getting a new "to me" boat.

I knew it!! East is upgrading and your buying his Cherry machine aren't you!!

BriEOD
06-16-2006, 10:32 PM
I knew it!! East is upgrading and your buying his Cherry machine aren't you!!
NO, NO, NO ... slow down Tonto!! Doug is not selling his boat. We were discussing what best suits my families needs. As you know the man is a walking MC spec sheet. If he knows as much about the law as he does MCs he must be a fantastic lawyer.

6ballsisall
06-16-2006, 10:33 PM
NO, NO, NO ... slow down Tonto!! Doug is not selling his boat. We were discussing what best suits my families needs. As you know the man is a walking MC spec sheet. If he knows as much about the law as he does MCs he must be a fantastic lawyer.

So what are you getting????????

erkoehler
06-16-2006, 10:34 PM

I'd tell you to call me and I'll hook you up with a deal, but I know better than to mess around in Jim@BAWS's area :D

Honestly, if you have questions you should talk to Jim, he is great and knows his stuff.

BriEOD
06-16-2006, 10:37 PM
I'd tell you to call me and I'll hook you up with a deal, but I know better than to mess around in Jim@BAWS's area :D

Honestly, if you have questions you should talk to Jim, he is great and knows his stuff.
Thanks Eric.

BriEOD
So what are you getting????????
PM if your really interested.

Farmer Ted
Well, I got home tonight and this was sitting by the pool with a bow on it. We are going to do some filets tomorrow. I can't wait.

Farmer, I hope you're right buddy!!

Bri,

Please check out the flashback video at http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm before you grill some steaks.

Once that thing gets going with the top off and the bottom wide open, if you don't "burp" it four or five times it will scare the shiot out of you.

If you like your steaks meduim rare and they are thick
-get that sucker up around 600-700 and sear them 2-3 minutes each side
-then put the ceramic top on and close the bottom 2-3 minutes each side (very important to take the top off and crack the bottom vent, burp before opening the lid wide open, remember you just starved a raging fire of any and all oxygen)
-put it on a plate and let it sit for 5 minutes (it's still cooking)

You won't regret it!

BriEOD
06-16-2006, 10:41 PM
Sweet dude!!! I cannot wait. BTW, that thing ways a ton. My wife paid $36 to have the store she bought it from deliver it and assemble. Do you have any accessories? I have a pizza stone. Any good recipes?

Farmer Ted
06-16-2006, 10:53 PM
Sweet dude!!! I cannot wait. BTW, that thing ways a ton. My wife paid $36 to have the store she bought it from deliver it and assemble. Do you have any accessories? I have a pizza stone. Any good recipes?

Rub your steaks down with Plochmans mustard, season with sea salt/kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper......

don't worry the mustard will "disappear"

Get a plate setter, put the pizza stone on it, get a good recipe for pizza dough and do pizzas!

Pork shoulders are a good first cook for smoking, Check out the BGE webpage, under recipes look for Elder Wards Pulled Pork follow them to a T and you will not go wrong.
http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/pork/NCpulledPork.htm

Other than a plate setter, I'd recommend getting a good V-rack (for ribs and turkeys)

I have a large and a mini, I'd like another Large.....

BriEOD
06-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Rub your steaks down with Plochmans mustard, season with sea salt/kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper......

don't worry the mustard will "disappear"

Get a plate setter, put the pizza stone on it, get a good recipe for pizza dough and do pizzas!

Pork shoulders are a good first cook for smoking, Check out the BGE webpage, under recipes look for Elder Wards Pulled Pork follow them to a T and you will not go wrong.
http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/pork/NCpulledPork.htm

Other than a plate setter, I'd recommend getting a good V-rack (for ribs and turkeys)

I have a large and a mini, I'd like another Large.....

Thanks for the tips dude. How is life at Barksdale?

Farmer Ted
06-16-2006, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the tips dude. How is life at Barksdale?

Life is good!

I'm working a job at Greenville with DCMA, should know by the end of the month if I get it.

How'd you guys fare during the hurricane?

BriEOD
06-16-2006, 11:08 PM

Farmer Ted
06-16-2006, 11:12 PM
I wasn't here. I'm TDY up for OSI tng until 14 Sep and commute home on the weekends. However, we got a lot of wind and rain according to the boss. I bought a 7500 watt generator at the BX a few months ago and wired a transfer switch into the breaker. I also got a small window A/C unit. I'm on a well so really I just need some electricity. If anything is really big we are leaving. I'm about 20 miles or so from the coast so storm surge isn't really an issue.

sounds like a plan!

How's the boss liking retirement?

BriEOD
06-16-2006, 11:15 PM

Farmer Ted
06-16-2006, 11:22 PM
You know, I think she is struggling a bit. Going from being a SQ Supt to just mom is a big lifestyle change. Not to mention add a PCS on top of that. We were at Charleston for almost 5 years and really loved our neighbors. You know how that goes.

How's the new family?

I bet that's a huge adjustment. PCSing is bad enough, couple that with retirement and I'm sure that fact that you're in training doesn't help.

You should cook her a nice steak dinner.......

Family is doing great, the dog is a little depressed (just got his nuts chopped) so he's sulking a bit......

BriEOD
06-17-2006, 08:06 AM
I bet that's a huge adjustment. PCSing is bad enough, couple that with retirement and I'm sure that fact that you're in training doesn't help.

You should cook her a nice steak dinner.......

Family is doing great, the dog is a little depressed (just got his nuts chopped) so he's sulking a bit......
I'm going to hook her up tonight.

So, will you finish out there at Barksdale?

bcampbe7
06-17-2006, 09:35 AM
Very nice Brian and good job Carla! :cool:

bigmac
06-17-2006, 09:39 AM
Not to threadjack :) but I did pull the trigger on a Big Green Egg. I debated gas vs charcoal, but the ease of gas just didn't outweigh charcoal flavor for us. As it turns out, the Egg is a great compromise. The thing is easy to start with just one paraffin block and is ready to cook in 10 minutes - no chimneys, no electric starters necessary. The ash is neglible, so cleanup is just not big deal. It grills and bakes (pizzas are big around here, and one of my biggest scores has been meatloaf with some vidalia onions chopped in and a handful of mesquite chips on the coals). One of the best aspects is that there are no hot spots - every place on the grill cooks the same. I built the cart out of cedar - the pneumatic tires give it all-terrain capability :) .

We've been dedicated charcoal grillers since I was a kid - Omaha steaks way before there WAS an Omaha Steaks.... I felt like going with gas would have been turning my back on my heritage. This type of grill has been an eye-opener for me, and a real advancement in the art IMHO.

http://mccollister.info/greenegg.jpg

Ric
06-17-2006, 10:17 AM
nice mac

does that cart come with or did you build that?

edit nevermind I just saw bribri's cart too :o

bcampbe7
06-17-2006, 10:31 AM
nice mac

does that cart come with or did you build that?

edit nevermind I just saw bribri's cart too :o

I think BigMac built his cart.

BriEOD
06-17-2006, 10:34 AM
That looks great Mac! I can't wait to use ours.

Ric, you can buy the cart or just the plans. My wife purchased the cart for ours.

bigmac
06-17-2006, 11:02 AM
I built mine, but kind of winged it based loosely on the plans on nakedwhiz.com. The usefulness of those plans was significantlly impaired by the lack of any kind of dimensions IMHO and the fact that I didn't have the Egg here when I built it (I ordered from a dealer 90 miles south of here for $579 - it took a week, but was more than $100 cheaper than the local dealer).

Farmer Ted
06-17-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm going to hook her up tonight.

So, will you finish out there at Barksdale?

No the job at Greenville is active duty, I'll finish out there and then stay as a civilian either with DCMA or L3

Farmer Ted
06-17-2006, 11:05 AM
I built mine, but kind of winged it based loosely on the plans on nakedwhiz.com. The usefulness of those plans was significantlly impaired by the lack of any kind of dimensions IMHO and the fact that I didn't have the Egg here when I built it (I ordered from a dealer 90 miles south of here for $579 - it took a week, but was more than $100 cheaper than the local dealer).

I guess they don't have territory restrictions like someone.....

Farmer Ted
06-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Not to threadjack :) but I did pull the trigger on a Big Green Egg. I debated gas vs charcoal, but the ease of gas just didn't outweigh charcoal flavor for us. As it turns out, the Egg is a great compromise. The thing is easy to start with just one paraffin block and is ready to cook in 10 minutes - no chimneys, no electric starters necessary. The ash is neglible, so cleanup is just not big deal. It grills and bakes (pizzas are big around here, and one of my biggest scores has been meatloaf with some vidalia onions chopped in and a handful of mesquite chips on the coals). One of the best aspects is that there are no hot spots - every place on the grill cooks the same. I built the cart out of cedar - the pneumatic tires give it all-terrain capability :) .

We've been dedicated charcoal grillers since I was a kid - Omaha steaks way before there WAS an Omaha Steaks.... I felt like going with gas would have been turning my back on my heritage. This type of grill has been an eye-opener for me, and a real advancement in the art IMHO.

It looks like your bands are not installed correctly. The handle should be over to the right about 3 or 4 inches (directly in line with the bottom opening)

the lower band has a pin that mates up with an indentation on the bottom portion of the egg. Be sure that these are lined up or eventually the bottom band will slip and cause the lid to fall.

tex
06-17-2006, 11:13 AM

Is that lunch?

Farmer Ted
06-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Is that lunch?

not unless he's making Souvflaki.....

don't forget the tzatziki!

BriEOD
06-17-2006, 11:19 AM
No the job at Greenville is active duty, I'll finish out there and then stay as a civilian either with DCMA or L3
That sounds good Tim. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get it.

Hey man tell me about making pizza. Do you make your own dough or what?

bigmac
06-17-2006, 11:23 AM
It looks like your bands are not installed correctly. The handle should be over to the right about 3 or 4 inches (directly in line with the bottom opening)

the lower band has a pin that mates up with an indentation on the bottom portion of the egg. Be sure that these are lined up or eventually the bottom band will slip and cause the lid to fall.

I knew that a true Egger would spot that :) .

I assembled it, but I did that offset on purpose to give better access to the bottom damper. I saw the indent in the bottom half of the egg, but there were no pins on the band to match it that I saw (and I did look). These bands and the lift mechanism are the spring-loaded version rather than the older lift/lock style. I'll have to go recheck that assembly again, though.

6ballsisall
06-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Man you guys are killing me with this thread about all the good eats off your Egg. :(

Farmer Ted
06-17-2006, 11:35 AM
I knew that a true Egger would spot that :) .

I assembled it, but I did that offset on purpose to give better access to the bottom damper. I saw the indent in the bottom half of the egg, but there were no pins on the band to match it that I saw (and I did look). These bands and the lift mechanism are the spring-loaded version rather than the older lift/lock style. I'll have to go recheck that assembly again, though.

I have the old style bands that need to be unlocked before lowering the lid (old school) the new bands are pretty sweet.

Just watch that the bottom bands don't slip!

http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/wildman/pizza.jpg

Farmer Ted
06-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Man you guys are killing me with this thread about all the good eats off your Egg. :(

You're not supposed to Egg until you winterize the boat, takes away from the MC.....

Farmer Ted
06-17-2006, 11:48 AM
That sounds good Tim. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get it.

Hey man tell me about making pizza. Do you make your own dough or what?

2 cups regular flour
1 cup bread flour
1 package of yeast
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup honey
1 cup warm water

activate the yeast in some water
mix all the dry stuff together
add the oil and honey
add the activated yeast

we also add oregano, italian seasonings, or what ever to the dough to give it some extra flavor

turn on bread machine.....

make one batch for 4 pizzas (like below)

after you roll out the dough spread corn meal on a cookie sheet or pizza peel and set the dough on the corn meal.

If you have enough cookie sheets/peels let the dough sit for awhile and rise

sauce it up, add your favorite ingredients, and bake for 7-10 minutes at 500 or so until the crust is brown.

I've found that the last pizza's are usually the best ones, let the plate setter/pizza stone get up to temp before you start cooking (usually 10-15 minutes)

as odd as it sounds the corn meal allows the pizza to slide off the cookie sheet don't be afraid to over do it

put your toppings on top of the cheese (that's how they do it in Italy)

fill your firebox up, you'll have the Egg at 500 for a good hour or so and it sucks to peter out on the last pizza

don't go too much over 500 initially, with all the thermal mass (setter/stone/egg) it's hard to get it back under 500 once you've overshot it.

here's one that's ready to go,
http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/wildman/pizza2.jpg

bigmac
06-17-2006, 11:55 AM
I have the old style bands that need to be unlocked before lowering the lid (old school) the new bands are pretty sweet.

Just watch that the bottom bands don't slip!

http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/wildman/pizza.jpg

Now you've got me rummaging around in the pantry for some semmolina flour to mix up some pizza dough in the bread maker. Gotta go buy some chorizo and jalapenos. I found a nice recipe for poppers - stuff jalapenos with some chorizo and cream cheeze, wrap 'em with bacon and toss 'em on the grill.

Farmer Ted
06-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Now you've got me rummaging around in the pantry for some semmolina flour to mix up some pizza dough in the bread maker. Gotta go buy some chorizo and jalapenos. I found a nice recipe for poppers - stuff jalapenos with some chorizo and cream cheeze, wrap 'em with bacon and toss 'em on the grill.

my wife puts jalapenos on everything

I'm pretty sure I almost caught putting them on Chocolate icecream one night.......

Ric
06-17-2006, 12:11 PM
how big a brisket can I fit on that egg thing?

I called up pitts n spitts to have my combo refurbished because it's about 10 yrs old... they loosely quoted 900-1000 to refurbish or 1300 for new

reading bigmacs price (IN HIS OUT OF TERRITORY PURCHASE ;) ) maybe I need and egg and let the pit rot away

Farmer Ted
06-17-2006, 12:16 PM

I called up pitts n spitts to have my combo refurbished because it's about 10 yrs old... they loosely quoted 900-1000 to refurbish or 1300 for new

reading bigmacs price (IN HIS OUT OF TERRITORY PURCHASE ;) ) maybe I need and egg and let the pit rot away

I'd have to go to the store and look at a brisket but I think 10-12 pounds is ok?

I've cooked a 22 pound turkey.....

I think it's 18" across

Ric
06-17-2006, 12:16 PM
cool, so slow cooking is possible with the egg? where does the fat drip to?

bigmac
06-17-2006, 12:17 PM

We did a 10-pounder - took about 6 hours. Plenty of room for a bigger one than that. One of the first things we cooked was a 20 lb turkey.

Slow cooking and smoking are two of the things the BGE does best.

I cook that kind of stuff with the plate-setter in for indirect cooking, with the drip pan right underneath.

Ric
06-17-2006, 12:39 PM
We did a 10-pounder - took about 6 hours. Plenty of room for a bigger one than that. One of the first things we cooked was a 20 lb turkey.

Slow cooking and smoking are two of the things the BGE does best.

I cook that kind of stuff with the plate-setter in for indirect cooking, with the drip pan right underneath.
I am pretty much sold on this thing!! where is the best place to buy one?
Mac with your deal, did they ship or did you have to arrange shipping?

bigmac
06-17-2006, 12:59 PM
I am pretty much sold on this thing!! where is the best place to buy one?
Mac with your deal, did they ship or did you have to arrange shipping?

The guy I bought it from was a place called Benusa in St. Cloud Minnesota. He's a Holland dealer, but his distributer carries BGE so he sells 'em. Originally, I was going to have to drive down there (90 miles) to get it, but he and his family were driving up this way to their cabin for Memorial Day, so he brought it with him and I just met him on the road and consumated the deal. Local dealer in Brainerd sells them for $679.

Hearthside Distributers (http://www.hearthsidedistributors.com/app/site/site.nl/sc.2/category.147/site.ACCT86477/.f?whence=&mode=items) sells them for $649 with free shipping (and presumably no sales tax), but you might want to check this page (http://www.biggreenegg.com/internet_policy/default.htm) out...

Ric
06-17-2006, 01:02 PM
The guy I bought it from was a place called Benusa in St. Cloud Minnesota. He's a Holland dealer, but his distributer carries BGE so he sells 'em. Originally, I was going to have to drive down there (90 miles) to get it, but he and his family were driving up this way to their cabin for Memorial Day, so he brought it with him and I just met him on the road and consumated the deal. Local dealer in Brainerd sells them for $679.

Hearthside Distributers (http://www.hearthsidedistributors.com/app/site/site.nl/sc.2/category.147/site.ACCT86477/.f?whence=&mode=items) sells them for $649 with free shipping (and presumably no sales tax), but you might want to check this page (http://www.biggreenegg.com/internet_policy/default.htm) out...
that last link looks like a territory thang

Ric
06-17-2006, 01:04 PM
mac that first link won't open for me

bigmac
06-17-2006, 01:13 PM
mac that first link won't open for me

Try http://www.hearthsidedistributors.com/ and look under grills

Farmer Ted
06-17-2006, 01:25 PM
that last link looks like a territory thang

Search Results For ZIP Code 77002
The dealer(s) nearest Houston,TX
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sweetwater Pool & Patio (6 miles)
4805 Bissonnet
Bellair,TX 77401

Barbeques Galore (7 miles)
6429 Westheimer
Houston,TX 77057
713-953-7030

Gas Grill & Light (10 miles)
1760 Blalock
Houston,TX 77080
www.gaslights.net

Barbeques Galore (15 miles)
11355 Fountain Lakes Dr
Stafford,TX 77477
281-494-9800
Fax: 281.494.9803

Barbeques Galore #56 (18 miles)
4765 FM 1960 West, Suite H
Houston,TX 77069
Fax: 281.880.9873

Ric
06-17-2006, 01:27 PM
bge should commission you two guys for the work!!! THANKS, heading over to one of those locations to see what I can do!

Farmer Ted
06-17-2006, 01:29 PM
bge should commission you two guys for the work!!! THANKS, heading over to one of those locations to see what I can do!

Ric,

try and catch them doing a demo so you can see first hand how awesome it is.

Bet you bring one home....

Ric
06-17-2006, 01:30 PM
I have to have that cart too, that is too cool!

Ric
06-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Is that lunch?
Mac, is that the Large?

Farmer Ted
06-17-2006, 02:50 PM
Mac, is that the Large?

I think it is

bigmac
06-17-2006, 04:54 PM
Mac, is that the Large?

Yes. The grill diameter is about 18.8 inches of cooking surface. That's been plenty for me because you can use the whole surface - there are no hot or cold spot because the heating is even throughout.

BriEOD
06-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Ok, I had my buddy and his family over. We did Delmonicos, baked potatos and veggies (squash/zucchini) all on the grill. That thing is out of this world!!

BriEOD
06-17-2006, 09:21 PM
This is 1.5 minutes in on the first flip at 600 degrees.

bigmac
06-17-2006, 10:50 PM
This is 1.5 minutes in on the first flip at 600 degrees.

Jack Daniels flavored wood chips. Soak 'em 1/2 hour and toss a handful in. Cook at a slightly lower temp for a little longer time that flavor. Wow.

I like to cook potatoes on the thing - I cook up a bunch in the microwave for 4 or 5 minutes, then slice them and fry them in the egg on a disposable pizza foil with some onions and bacon.

Farmer Ted
06-17-2006, 10:57 PM
For baked potatoes I'll rub them with Olive Oil then spread kosher salt and Tony's on them

place them on right after you light the fire and let them roast right on the grill (not directly over the flame/hot spot) and turn them every 20 minutes

be careful not to puncture the skin or it will dry them out

you'll be able to tell when they're done

bigmac
06-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Ok, I had my buddy and his family over. We did Delmonicos, baked potatos and veggies (squash/zucchini) all on the grill. That thing is out of this world!!
You will soon come to understand, as I have, why so many of these afficianados have TWO Eggs - a medium egg side-by-side for the veggies...the thing cooks this stuff so well that you wind up cooking the whole meal on it.

Look here (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm) at the table gallery..

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tablewessbbefore.jpg

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tablemickeyt.jpg

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tablerrp.jpg

Farmer Ted
06-17-2006, 11:11 PM
I'd like to get a chimenea

BriEOD
06-18-2006, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the tips guys.

We are going to try pizza for lunch. This thing is just fun to cook on.

6ballsisall
06-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Man you guys are wearing me down quick!!!

Question: If you are cooking meat at that high of temp so quickly wouldn't it be hard and unflavorable? I've always been of the school of slow and low. :confused:

BriEOD
06-18-2006, 10:08 AM
No Jeff, for Steaks (medium rare - medium) you want a high heat. You sear each side to trap in the juices. To cook a good steak you should only flip it twice. Sear one side, a minute later flip, sear other side and let is cook for a minute or two ... voila! If you slow cooked it you would cook all the way through. If you were doing chicken or pork you would want to slow cook it.

BriEOD
06-18-2006, 10:08 AM
So, when are you going to get an egg? BTW, this is all Farmer's fault. 8p

6ballsisall
06-18-2006, 10:17 AM

Good info Brian!

No egg for me for a while. I don't even dare ask! New Ski, new boat, all kinds of new ski equipment in the past 45 days.

Phew!! The thought of asking/telling....... nope not now! :D

BriEOD
06-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Yeah I hear you Jeff. How is your little one doing?

6ballsisall
06-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Yeah I hear you Jeff. How is your little one doing?

Wonderful! Hard to believe next month is her birthday! :eek:

How are your kids? Ages now?

BriEOD
06-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Brianna is 8 and Cody will be 2 in September. They grow like weeds. My best friend brought his kids over yesterday and we most of thrown kids across my pool for what seemed like an hour. They don't have an off button!!

Farmer Ted
06-18-2006, 12:27 PM

I'd also recommend getting a good pair of running shoes.....you're about to gain some weight!

BriEOD
06-18-2006, 12:38 PM
I'd also recommend getting a good pair of running shoes.....you're about to gain some weight!
Believe me, at the moment that isn't going to happen. I am getting smoked most days. We do that Bozrouten workout like 3x's a week. He's the boxer and we do it on bags and than 1/4 mile between rounds. It is a smoke session.

The BGE is heating up and the pizzas are soon to go on.

bigmac
06-18-2006, 03:34 PM
No Jeff, for Steaks (medium rare - medium) you want a high heat. You sear each side to trap in the juices. To cook a good steak you should only flip it twice. Sear one side, a minute later flip, sear other side and let is cook for a minute or two ... voila! If you slow cooked it you would cook all the way through. If you were doing chicken or pork you would want to slow cook it.I pay attention to getting especially thick cuts. I tend to sear about 30-45 seconds per side, damp it down completely and cook the rest of the way slower to capture the smoke flavor.

BTW, a digital meat thermometer is your best friend, at least on thicker cuts of meat. I've been a HUGE fan of the Weber wireless meat thermometer. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00018RAFO/104-2317489-8453525?v=glance&n=286168)

BriEOD
06-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the tips and keep them coming.

bigmac
06-18-2006, 09:42 PM
I'm overdosing on red meat these days...I have a buddy that's moving here from upstate New York. He had a couple of head of cattle that they raised on their hobby farm, and before he left they butchered and aged them. He arrived here the other day with two chest freezers full of meat. He and his family are staying here waiting for their house to be done - my days now revolve around thawing, marinating and cooking. What a blast!...but I think I've gained 5 lbs.

Tonight was fajitas. Marinated and grilled up the delmonicos we thawed but couldn't eat yesterday - sliced thin. Double-handful of mesquite chips soaked in Jack Daniels on the coals. Vidalia onions sliced, red/green and a few jalapeno peppers and cherry tomatoes, sauteed in butter/lime juice/southwestern seasoning with a touch of brown sugar in an aluminum pan on the Egg. Tortillas moistened and tossed on the grill for a minute or so + cheese/rice/guacamole, sour cream and salsa...oh..and a few Coronas....

Carumba!

BriEOD
06-18-2006, 09:51 PM
That sounds awesome!

I torched my first attempt at pizza. I think my problem was putting my pizza stone to close to the heat. I intially put it right on the metal grilling rack and baked the pizza at 500 degrees for 7 minutes and it burnt the bottom. After my wife gave me a hard time I regrouped. I placed a brick between the grilling rack and pizza stone and cooked the pizza for about 5.5 minutes. It was really good.

Farmer Ted
06-19-2006, 08:28 AM
I'm overdosing on red meat these days...I have a buddy that's moving here from upstate New York. He had a couple of head of cattle that they raised on their hobby farm, and before he left they butchered and aged them. He arrived here the other day with two chest freezers full of meat. He and his family are staying here waiting for their house to be done - my days now revolve around thawing, marinating and cooking. What a blast!...but I think I've gained 5 lbs.

Tonight was fajitas. Marinated and grilled up the delmonicos we thawed but couldn't eat yesterday - sliced thin. Double-handful of mesquite chips soaked in Jack Daniels on the coals. Vidalia onions sliced, red/green and a few jalapeno peppers and cherry tomatoes, sauteed in butter/lime juice/southwestern seasoning with a touch of brown sugar in an aluminum pan on the Egg. Tortillas moistened and tossed on the grill for a minute or so + cheese/rice/guacamole, sour cream and salsa...oh..and a few Coronas....

Carumba!

Try some Mesquite lump, it pops and crackles when you get it going (500+) especially when you open the lid

chips won't do much good when grilling, they'll just burn and make your fire hotter get chunks as they won't burn as quickly as chips

Farmer Ted
06-19-2006, 08:31 AM
That sounds awesome!

I torched my first attempt at pizza. I think my problem was putting my pizza stone to close to the heat. I intially put it right on the metal grilling rack and baked the pizza at 500 degrees for 7 minutes and it burnt the bottom. After my wife gave me a hard time I regrouped. I placed a brick between the grilling rack and pizza stone and cooked the pizza for about 5.5 minutes. It was really good.

get a plate setter or three fire bricks (be sure you get fire bricks, regular ones will explode or crack if exposed to direct heat like that)

the plate setter is awesome, you place it with the legs pointing down for pizza

legs pointing up with the grill on it for indirect cooking (ribs, brisket, chicken)

wakebroad
06-19-2006, 08:53 AM
I've been reading all this....Farmer Ted, you amaze me with your recipes!!! My husband can't even open a package of cheese.
Y'all have got me wanting one of these egg deals. So what do I do with my old grill? It's also about 110 degrees outside right now. I don't want to go out there. Any chance of using this indoors??? :D

bigmac
06-19-2006, 09:14 AM
get a plate setter or three fire bricks (be sure you get fire bricks, regular ones will explode or crack if exposed to direct heat like that)

the plate setter is awesome, you place it with the legs pointing down for pizza

legs pointing up with the grill on it for indirect cooking (ribs, brisket, chicken)

The plate setter is a very important accessory to have (awesome for indirect cooking with legs pointing up, and a great place to put the drip pan). Even with the plate setter, it's still smart to cook pizza on a pizza stone laid on the plate setter to prevent burning the crust, I'm told. I haven't cooked a pizza yet, but the plate setter goes on with the legs down, and no grill, lay the pizza stone on top of the plate setter.

I've also come to rely on the grill-grabbing tool a lot (grill gripper).

bigmac
06-19-2006, 09:16 AM
I've been reading all this....Farmer Ted, you amaze me with your recipes!!! My husband can't even open a package of cheese.
Y'all have got me wanting one of these egg deals. So what do I do with my old grill? It's also about 110 degrees outside right now. I don't want to go out there. Any chance of using this indoors??? :DCan't use it indoors, but the outside of the egg doesn't get nearly as hot as a metal grill.

BriEOD
06-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'll get one.

BriEOD
06-19-2006, 07:15 PM
Tim/Mac,

Apparently I need some accessories to go with the grill. What do you guys recommend. Obviously I need the plate setter. Do I need a drip pan, etc. What do you guys think.

Thanks,
B

Farmer Ted
06-19-2006, 07:32 PM
Tim/Mac,

Apparently I need some accessories to go with the grill. What do you guys recommend. Obviously I need the plate setter. Do I need a drip pan, etc. What do you guys think.

Thanks,
B

Bri,

Let me go out and take some pictures of what I have and how I use it.
Other than a plate setter, get some racks to cook stuff on. That's all I have.

I'll post some photos in a bit!

BriEOD
06-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks Brotha.

Farmer Ted
06-19-2006, 08:43 PM
Here's what I cook with

Plate Setter right side up with BGE Pizza Stone for cooking pizza/bread
Don't use a Pampered Chef or any other 1/4" Pizza stone as they will break. I've had this combo for over 7 years and there's not a single crack in either one. I exploded a Pampered Chef stone after 3 cooks, got smart and got the BGE stone
http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/BGE/PICT3572.jpg

Plate Setter upside down (will rest on fire ring) with grill on legs for indirect grilling

http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/BGE/PICT3573.jpg

This is a Weber Rib Rack, I bent down the last peice so I could cook beans at the same time as I did ribs.

4-5 hours at as close to 200 you can keep the Egg.

http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/BGE/PICT3574.jpg

Farmer Ted
06-19-2006, 08:43 PM
All pictures have the plate setter upside down with the legs pointing up and the grill on the legs. This will give you the best indirect cooking method similar to roasting. You can also smoke stuff with this set up.

V-rack upside down for ribs or whatever else you can get on there

http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/BGE/PICT3575.jpg

V-rack right side up for Turkey's/large chickens/prime rib/pork tenderloins
http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/BGE/PICT3576.jpg

Things for cooking chickes (never been used)
http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/BGE/PICT3577.jpg

Farmer Ted
06-19-2006, 08:44 PM
Purchased in Jan 1998, It's been to Las Vegas, England, Germany, Minnesota, Iowa, and Louisiana.

The felt seal has been replaced twice (needs it now) and I've gone through two fire boxes (they tend to crack, but will be replaced free of charge by BGE)

http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/BGE/PICT3581.jpg

Big chicken setter, been used a couple of times. Too small for a Turkey
http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/BGE/PICT3578.jpg

All the goods, the only thing I didn't include was the small grid on the left, we bought it to do shrimp but went out and got a 18" wire basket (Weber) for shrimp

http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/BGE/PICT3579.jpg

BriEOD
06-19-2006, 08:54 PM
Wow! Tim you have all the toys. Do I need a drip pan? Do you ever do roasts, etc? Also, how do you light your charcoal: electric starter or the fire starter sticks?

Farmer Ted
06-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Wow! Tim you have all the toys. Do I need a drip pan? Do you ever do roasts, etc? Also, how do you light your charcoal: electric starter or the fire starter sticks?

Thanks Dude!

I like to eat!

The cheapest way to light the fire is get one of those fake logs and just knock a small peice of it off and use it to get the fire started.

Place the small peice under some lump and arrange lump over the flame so it will burn.

Some guys us a MAPP torch but I don't have one so I don't use one.

I've had flames shooting out of the top 3 feet and the thermometer rolled past 750 all the way back around to 400 (good way to crack your firebox) to cook some 2" filets.

If you do crack your firebox, you'll hear it pop if you happen to be outside. No big deal, still works as advertised but it will need to be replaced eventually.

bigmac
06-20-2006, 07:38 AM
Tim/Mac,

Thanks,
B

I just get those aluminum foil disposable pans at the grocery store..

Key accessories IMHO - plate setter, Grill Gripper, digital meat thermometer, V-rack, vertical roaster, a vegetable cooker, and a pizza stone. The ash tool is useful - I use it to stir the old charcoal before lighting to get the ash out of the firebox. If you get too much, it tends to plug the little holes and impairs draw making temp control harder than it needs to be. I do try to be cautious about getting too much charcoal in there (about 1 inch over the side holes of the firebox).

I light with one or two of those paraffin blocks that Weber sells. They light easily even in the wind.

Farmer Ted
06-20-2006, 08:38 AM
Bri,

If you want to use a drip pan, go to the BX and get one of those $3 square cake pans that are about 2" deep.

They work well

BriEOD
06-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Thanks guys.

bigmac
06-24-2006, 09:00 PM
Wife's out of town - I cooked a frozen pizza on the BGE just for the experimental heck of it. It actually turned out very well.

I started with a Tombstone pepperoni, added some onions, peppers, cheese (romano) and a lot more pepperoni. I heated the grill up to 450 F. with the plate-setter legs down, grill on top of that followed by a Pampered Chef pizza stone. I preheated the pizza stone for about 10 minutes with the grill at 450, threw some corn meal on the stone (keeps it from sticking, I'm told) then put the pizza on. The crust came out perfect, the toppings were nicely browned, and it had a nice, subtle brick-oven taste.

I'm not normally a Tombstone fan - it was an impulse purchase when I got gas at the convenience store. Just wanted to make that clear...

edit: I'm told that one has to be careful about what pizza stone to buy. Reportedly, the Pampered Chef stones crack in the BGE almost universally. Mine didn't this time, but I did order the BGE 14" pizza stone for the future.

BriEOD
06-25-2006, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the tip Mac on the stone.

I did some bacon wrapped filets last night and they were awesome! They were resteraunt quality. That BGE is awesome!!

6ballsisall
06-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Brian

I tried your grilling technique, got the grill up to 550 degrees and then dropped 2 Omaha Steaks (Sirloins) on there and grilled both sides about 1 1/2 minutes. The steaks looked great from the outside but the flavor was not so hot (no flavor) Meat temp when eaten was 155 degrees. What did I do wrong?? :confused:

stevo137
06-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Question for you guys regarding steaks. It's tough to find USDA Prime unless I go to the Chicago meat markets. Anyone ever order steaks from a place that offers prime and if so, were they good? I'm not crazy about frozen but might give it a try. Sorry bout the jack but I see that a few of you mentioned steaks.

6ballsisall
06-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Brian

I tried your grilling technique, got the grill up to 550 degrees and then dropped 2 Omaha Steaks (Sirloins) on there and grilled both sides about 1 1/2 minutes. The steaks looked great from the outside but the flavor was not so hot (no flavor) Meat temp when eaten was 155 degrees. What did I do wrong?? :confused:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Farmer Ted
06-26-2006, 07:30 PM
You did that on a gas grill? :eek:

A big part of the flavor that comes from the egg is imparted from the charcoal.

No charcoal = no flavor :cry:

Farmer Ted
06-26-2006, 07:31 PM
Question for you guys regarding steaks. It's tough to find USDA Prime unless I go to the Chicago meat markets. Anyone ever order steaks from a place that offers prime and if so, were they good? I'm not crazy about frozen but might give it a try. Sorry bout the jack but I see that a few of you mentioned steaks.

I buy the cheapest cuts of meat I can find and let the Egg sort them out.

I'm sure if you spent the money on Prime they'd be on par....

6ballsisall
06-26-2006, 07:31 PM
You did that on a gas grill? :eek:

A big part of the flavor that comes from the egg is imparted from the charcoal.

No charcoal = no flavor :cry:

So that was my problem eh? After that cookin' I planned on going back to my old ways of 225 degrees cook temp.

mattsn
06-26-2006, 10:21 PM
I have the Large. Gave my son a medium for Christmas. If you are going to get one, get the Large. We do ribs, chicken, pizza, fish, bake, etc. Everything from ABT's to Smokin a Fatty. Those are all Big Green Egghead terms, but the food is always great.

Easier and quicker to use then a gasser. Any wait is minor compared to the quality of the meal.

Farmer Ted
06-26-2006, 10:48 PM
Ribs and Beans,

http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/Red/3096.jpg

BriEOD
07-16-2006, 08:32 AM
I did some bacon wrapped filets and baked potatos on the egg yesterday. For the filets I had the thermometer buried past 700 degrees! They were awesome!!

BriEOD
08-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Well I'm on my second bag of lump charcoal. I had Carla pick up the plate setter and the turkey stand this week.

MarkP
08-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Ribs and Beans,

http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/Red/3096.jpg
Party in Louisiana!!!
Hey Bri, donít you have work to do?

bigmac
08-05-2006, 02:26 PM
Well I'm on my second bag of lump charcoal. I had Carla pick up the plate setter and the turkey stand this week.I went out and bought a 20 gallon Rubbermaid garbage can and empty the charcoal bags into it (waterproof, and it will hold exactly two bags) and a galvanized horse feed scoop for getting the charcoal into the egg.

Little family reunion this weekend - my sister brought an 8 lb tenderloin from Kansas City. Cooked indirect with the plate setter, temp at 400 degrees with a wirless thermometer probe in the thickest part. I pulled the meat off when the temp hit 137. Ten minutes' rest brought the internal temp up to 144 - perfect. While the meat was "resting", I grilled up some onion/cherry tomatos/red peppers, all tossed in olive oil with basil and garlic and I threw in some pepperoni slices - brushed with some garlic/lemon butter every now and then - grilled in one of those pans with a bunch of holes in it.

Farmer Ted
08-05-2006, 03:06 PM
I went out and bought a 20 gallon Rubbermaid garbage can and empty the charcoal bags into it (waterproof, and it will hold exactly two bags) and a galvanized horse feed scoop for getting the charcoal into the egg.

Little family reunion this weekend - my sister brought an 8 lb tenderloin from Kansas City. Cooked indirect with the plate setter, temp at 400 degrees with a wirless thermometer probe in the thickest part. I pulled the meat off when the temp hit 137. Ten minutes' rest brought the internal temp up to 144 - perfect. While the meat was "resting", I grilled up some onion/cherry tomatos/red peppers, all tossed in olive oil with basil and garlic and I threw in some pepperoni slices - brushed with some garlic/lemon butter every now and then - grilled in one of those pans with a bunch of holes in it.

sounds good!

SkiDog
08-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Dog just bought one! Too bad I can't use it till I GET BACK FROM sTURGIS!!!!!!!!!

TX.X-30 fan
10-30-2006, 07:32 PM

try lobels of ny they cut your meat after you order it.Ship it unfrozen next day air on ice packs. Their meat is fantastic but very pricey. Try the hanger steak good price and a fantastic cut of meat.

BriEOD
11-16-2006, 06:45 PM
Fellow Egg Owners,

I am doing a turkey tomorrow for a work function. It is a warm up for Thanksgiving. I have yet to do one yet. I have the vertical turkey roaster and the plate setter for indirect heat. I plan on smoking. I have some hickory chunks. My pals at the Outdoor Kitchen Store suggested I use 4 chunks. Apparently, you can oversmoke a turkey.

So, has anyone done one? Any suggestions?

BriEOD
11-16-2006, 06:49 PM
http://www.kickassbbq.com/

Good recipes.

SkiDog
11-16-2006, 06:51 PM
Fellow Egg Owners,

I am doing a turkey tomorrow for a work function. It is a warm up for Thanksgiving. I have yet to do one yet. I have the vertical turkey roaster and the plate setter for indirect heat. I plan on smoking. I have some hickory chunks. My pals at the Outdoor Kitchen Store suggested I use 4 chunks. Apparently, you can oversmoke a turkey.

Damn, now that I got one, my wife tells me she doesn't like meat thats been smoked! What a bummer!

Hoosier Bob
11-16-2006, 06:56 PM
:o :o :o :o

BriEOD
11-16-2006, 07:09 PM
Damn, now that I got one, my wife tells me she doesn't like meat thats been smoked! What a bummer!
Have you done a pizza yet? Or filets? Boston Butts are good as well!!

Farmer Ted
11-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Fellow Egg Owners,

Brian,

I would go buy a 5 gallon bucket from a donut shop or McDonalds (Frosting or Pickles) and clean it really good.

You're going to brine the Turkey.

You'll need some Kosher Salt, Two Gallons of Apple Cider (not juice) what ever other kinds of spices or herbs you want

- boil some water and disolve 1 1/2 cups of Kosher Salt
-- add this to about one gallon of cold water, you can add ice to
cool the water off

- once the water is cooled off (room temp at least) add the two
gallons of apple cider to the gallon of saltwater (it also helps if you
have the cider cold from the fridge)

- add your spices, to the mixture, we also slice up a couple of granny
smith apples for the soup

- wash your turkey and remove all the bags (don't forget the neck)

- once the turkey has been washed carefully set it in the bucket and
let it fill with the soup, once it's filled then move it around to ensure
the spices get mixed up with the bird in the bucket

- put the lid on the bucket and move some of the beer out of your
garage fridge and put the turkey in the fridge for at least 12 hours

- after the turkey has set over night take it out and rinse off the
outside and inside very well.

Your Turkey is ready to cook

I've tried the vertical metal setter, the ceramic vertical setter that actually holds liquid to help "steam" the bird from the inside and used the V-rack

I've had the best results with the V-Rack sitting over a drip pan that was resting on the plate setter.

Take your grill off, put the plate setter on the fire ring upside down then put the grill on the legs of the plate setter, V-rack on the grill

Be careful that you don't get too big of a turkey or you'll need to adjust the depth of your dome thermometer so it' doesn't poke the turkey.

As far as wood, for Turkey any kind of fruit wood will be best. Cherry or Apple would be prefered, I don't know how close the Orange orchard are to you but if you can get Orange wood, I'd substitute the apple slices for orange slices and use orange wood.

As far as over smoking, keep in mind that the meat will only absorb the smoke up to a certain temp. Once the meat gets to around 100 degrees it's not going in any further than it has. The outside of the meat will continue to absorb it and that's where the bitterness comes from.

You can just rinse a turkey and cook it and it will be better than any oven cooked turkey you've ever eaten.

Brine it and people will be talking about you all year long, asking if you're doing the turkey next year.

Trust the force Luke....

http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/turkey.jpg

Chief
11-16-2006, 07:15 PM

She probably likes the taste, it's just the two days of burping and tasting like you ate a campfire that's the turn off.

BriEOD
11-17-2006, 08:35 AM
Started this morning about 530. This is a 25 lb Turkey. I brushed it with poultry rub and olive oil. It is cooking at 300 degrees and I am smoking with Hickory Chunks.

east tx skier
11-17-2006, 10:07 AM
As impressive as both those birds are, I want to shake Brian's hand for incorporating the Green Egg Grill into the deck, counter, or whatever that is. Nice work.

BriEOD
11-17-2006, 10:09 AM
I wish I could take credit Doug. However, Carla purchased the stand with the BGE. I believe Big Mac built a similar one. It makes a nice work surface/shelf.

east tx skier
11-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Very cool. Every time I see the results, I think about picking one up. But at this point, I'm saving for a Playstation 3. I'll be saving for a while. Probably for the best as I won't have to dodge bullets by the time I pick mine up. :)

BriEOD
11-17-2006, 10:16 AM
I was afraid we wouldn't use it. But, we've been using ours at least 2-3x's per week. They are pricey, however well worth the investment.

BriEOD
11-17-2006, 10:16 AM
BTW, you recognize that guy in my avatar? I think UMP was getting a complex. ;)

east tx skier
11-17-2006, 10:25 AM
I was afraid we wouldn't use it. But, we've been using ours at least 2-3x's per week. They are pricey, however well worth the investment.

Yeah. I've got a two chamber smoker/grill that works fine. I've also got the gasser for weeknights. Both give me great results, so it's not high on my list of priorities.

Indeed, that's a handsome avatar you have there.

BriEOD
11-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Finished product. About 5.5 hours.

SkiDog
11-17-2006, 01:31 PM
She probably likes the taste, it's just the two days of burping and tasting like you ate a campfire that's the turn off.

J, you gotta good point there!:D

BriEOD
11-17-2006, 08:38 PM
BTW, chocolate chip cookies on the plate setter at 350 degrees do really well!!

BriEOD
11-17-2006, 08:42 PM
Brian,

I would go buy a 5 gallon bucket from a donut shop or McDonalds (Frosting or Pickles) and clean it really good.

You're going to brine the Turkey.

You'll need some Kosher Salt, Two Gallons of Apple Cider (not juice) what ever other kinds of spices or herbs you want

- boil some water and disolve 1 1/2 cups of Kosher Salt
-- add this to about one gallon of cold water, you can add ice to
cool the water off

- once the water is cooled off (room temp at least) add the two
gallons of apple cider to the gallon of saltwater (it also helps if you
have the cider cold from the fridge)

- add your spices, to the mixture, we also slice up a couple of granny
smith apples for the soup

- wash your turkey and remove all the bags (don't forget the neck)

- once the turkey has been washed carefully set it in the bucket and
let it fill with the soup, once it's filled then move it around to ensure
the spices get mixed up with the bird in the bucket

- put the lid on the bucket and move some of the beer out of your
garage fridge and put the turkey in the fridge for at least 12 hours

- after the turkey has set over night take it out and rinse off the
outside and inside very well.

Your Turkey is ready to cook

I've tried the vertical metal setter, the ceramic vertical setter that actually holds liquid to help "steam" the bird from the inside and used the V-rack

I've had the best results with the V-Rack sitting over a drip pan that was resting on the plate setter.

Take your grill off, put the plate setter on the fire ring upside down then put the grill on the legs of the plate setter, V-rack on the grill

Be careful that you don't get too big of a turkey or you'll need to adjust the depth of your dome thermometer so it' doesn't poke the turkey.

As far as wood, for Turkey any kind of fruit wood will be best. Cherry or Apple would be prefered, I don't know how close the Orange orchard are to you but if you can get Orange wood, I'd substitute the apple slices for orange slices and use orange wood.

As far as over smoking, keep in mind that the meat will only absorb the smoke up to a certain temp. Once the meat gets to around 100 degrees it's not going in any further than it has. The outside of the meat will continue to absorb it and that's where the bitterness comes from.

You can just rinse a turkey and cook it and it will be better than any oven cooked turkey you've ever eaten.

Brine it and people will be talking about you all year long, asking if you're doing the turkey next year.

Trust the force Luke....

http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/turkey.jpg

Thanks for the recipe Tim. I think I might try it!

bigmac
11-18-2006, 10:19 AM
I note that some sites like Butterball.com recommend against grilling a turkey with the stuffing/dressing inside. I'm sure the reason is that it might be inadequately cooked.

Any insight into the best/safest way to handle turkey stuffing on the BGE?

BriEOD
11-18-2006, 10:26 AM
I do not. I did not do stuffing yesterday.

TMCNo1
11-18-2006, 10:38 AM
I would guess, if you wanted the smoke flavor in the stuffing too, prebake the stuffing in a casserole dish in the oven, then add 1 can of cream of onion soup and 1/2 cup water to the stuffing for extra moisture after baking and then stuff the turkey 1/2 way through the smoking process. It works for deep frying, but you stuff the turkey prior to deep frying!

BriEOD
02-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Farmer...found you on the Egg site: http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/poultry/poultry0055.htm

BriEOD
02-19-2007, 09:38 PM
For you BBQ nuts: www.kickassbbq.com

SDAhockey21
02-20-2007, 12:48 AM
im going to be building a cooking table for my dad's big green egg (he has 3..) some time soon. I'm guessing all of you will want plans and pictures so you can do it also. Am i right? lol

Will do!

BriEOD
02-20-2007, 07:42 AM
I already have a table. However, photos are always nice.

sizzler
02-20-2007, 07:44 AM
how much are these bad boys.....and who is gonna bring one over to me???

BriEOD
02-20-2007, 07:47 AM
how much are these bad boys.....and who is gonna bring one over to me???
Depends Pete...

They make a mini, medium, large and x-tra large. I think the large is the most common and depending on retailer, goes for $600-700 USD. Now when you add in a table, charcoal, wood chips, etc, etc, it can creep closer to $1,000 USD.

sizzler
02-20-2007, 07:52 AM
dont s'pose shipping will be cheap...then the tax man will want some money.....gonna hurt...

thx bri

sizzler
02-20-2007, 07:53 AM
i need head office to put one in the ski locker of my new mastercraft when they ship it over :rolleyes:

BriEOD
02-20-2007, 07:57 AM
dont s'pose shipping will be cheap...then the tax man will want some money.....gonna hurt...

thx bri
Yeah, they aren't light. The tax man, hmmm...."no taxation without representation."

rspiecha
02-20-2007, 08:00 AM
I have the XL size, weighs in at 205 lbs. These things make awesome steaks. Crank it up to 750+ degrees, and 1.5 minutes a side. Close air doors, and cook for another 1.5 minutes. Just be carefull of the back draft affect when you open back up the air door and open the lid. Or at least set up a camera, you get awesome steaks and a funniest home video for the TV shows.

Rob

bigmac
02-20-2007, 08:16 AM
I have the XL size, weighs in at 205 lbs. These things make awesome steaks. Crank it up to 750+ degrees, and 1.5 minutes a side. Close air doors, and cook for another 1.5 minutes. Just be carefull of the back draft affect when you open back up the air door and open the lid. Or at least set up a camera, you get awesome steaks and a funniest home video for the TV shows.

Rob

Yeh, I've lost a little hair on my forearm on one or two occasions. It's pretty much only a problem when the fire is cranked up like for searing steaks. I actually don't do that much grilling - usually a lot more slow cooking in the 350-450 range. Hamburgers and steaks are usually summer fare around here. The Green Egg does great grilling, but IMHO it really excels at roasts/briskets/tenderloins/birds, and no pizza I've ever eaten can match one baked in a BGE.

BriEOD
02-20-2007, 08:26 AM
Yeh, I've lost a little hair on my forearm on one or two occasions. It's pretty much only a problem when the fire is cranked up like for searing steaks. I actually don't do that much grilling - usually a lot more slow cooking in the 350-450 range. Hamburgers and steaks are usually summer fare around here. The Green Egg does great grilling, but IMHO it really excels at roasts/briskets/tenderloins/birds, and no pizza I've ever eaten can match one baked in a BGE.
Mac, give me your pizza recipe and cooking routine if you don't mind sir.

bigmac
02-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Mac, give me your pizza recipe and cooking routine if you don't mind sir.

Simplicity is the key for me - I buy frozen pre-made crusts. There are three or four brands in the freezer of most grocery stores -- all different types from thick crust to whatever. Also, if you have a good Italian bakery close by, they'll make some up for you and you can freeze them. I've made some crusts from scratch in the bread machine, but IMHO they weren't any better than the pre-mades I bought at the store.

The sauce - again I've made some from scratch, but to be honest the best sauce experiment for me was Prego, adding about a tablespoon of sugar per 2 cups of sauce. Actually, that's not true -- the best sauce I had was some we bought from our meat market in Minneapolis, but that's hard to get to and the Prego+sugar is a close second.

Toppings - that's endless and limited only by imagination. Personally I favor Italian sausage and onion with some banana peppers. As to cheese, I use a base layer of mozarella, but I there's a huge amount of flavor to be gained from some fresh-grated parmesan or asiago and some romano. "Fresh-grated" is the key, IMHO.

Cooking - I start the fire and let it heat up, put the plate setter on legs down. Then I lay the grill on the top of the plate setter and put the pizza stone on the grill and close the lid to let the stone pre-heat for about 10 minutes at 450 degrees. Then I throw a small amount of flour on the stone and put the pizza on - cook it at about 450 for about 20 minutes or so. A pizza peel is very important, especially if your using crust you made yourself, which is likely to be pretty floppy. I use an aluminum one with long wooden handle that I picked up online for about $15. It's important to have the pizza stone pre-heated because crust quality is very dependant on moisture control and that's the purpose of the stone. Otherwise, you get the toppings that are done with a soggy crust or you get an overly crispy crust with toppings not quite cooked. It's the reason that I put the grill in between the plate setter and the stone - IMHO it keeps the stone from getting too hot via conduction from the plate setter and I've found that at about 450 degrees the toppings and crust come out about even.

TX.X-30 fan
02-20-2007, 11:22 AM

Brisket is best when the heat never exceeds 225. I like to do mine 190-200 and let them go 14-16 hrs. I do cook on a big smoker and don't know much about the egg.

No offence bigmac, just had to jump at the chance to correct you since the opportunities are so rare. :D :D

bigmac
02-20-2007, 11:55 AM
Brisket is best when the heat never exceeds 225. I like to do mine 190-200 and let them go 14-16 hrs. I do cook on a big smoker and don't know much about the egg.

Oops - yes, that was misleading. The BGE actually is a smoker too, and the same principle for brisket applies.

loeweb
02-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Anyone ever make pizzas on a weber? That's what I've got and love pizza.

BriEOD
02-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Simplicity is the key for me - I buy frozen pre-made crusts. There are three or four brands in the freezer of most grocery stores -- all different types from thick crust to whatever. Also, if you have a good Italian bakery close by, they'll make some up for you and you can freeze them. I've made some crusts from scratch in the bread machine, but IMHO they weren't any better than the pre-mades I bought at the store.

The sauce - again I've made some from scratch, but to be honest the best sauce experiment for me was Prego, adding about a tablespoon of sugar per 2 cups of sauce. Actually, that's not true -- the best sauce I had was some we bought from our meat market in Minneapolis, but that's hard to get to and the Prego+sugar is a close second.

Toppings - that's endless and limited only by imagination. Personally I favor Italian sausage and onion with some banana peppers. As to cheese, I use a base layer of mozarella, but I there's a huge amount of flavor to be gained from some fresh-grated parmesan or asiago and some romano. "Fresh-grated" is the key, IMHO.

Cooking - I start the fire and let it heat up, put the plate setter on legs down. Then I lay the grill on the top of the plate setter and put the pizza stone on the grill and close the lid to let the stone pre-heat for about 10 minutes at 450 degrees. Then I throw a small amount of flour on the stone and put the pizza on - cook it at about 450 for about 20 minutes or so. A pizza peel is very important, especially if your using crust you made yourself, which is likely to be pretty floppy. I use an aluminum one with long wooden handle that I picked up online for about $15. It's important to have the pizza stone pre-heated because crust quality is very dependant on moisture control and that's the purpose of the stone. Otherwise, you get the toppings that are done with a soggy crust or you get an overly crispy crust with toppings not quite cooked. It's the reason that I put the grill in between the plate setter and the stone - IMHO it keeps the stone from getting too hot via conduction from the plate setter and I've found that at about 450 degrees the toppings and crust come out about even.

Thanks Mac. I'll give your cooking instructions a shot. They sound better than mine.

BriEOD
03-25-2007, 08:48 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/BIG-GREEN-EGG-SMOKER-GRILL-LG-NIB_W0QQitemZ200092505277QQcategoryZ20723QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If anyone was considering, this is a steal! Shipping will be at least $100, but this is still way under retail.

BriEOD
12-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Friends,

I wanted to pass on to y'all the support I received from the Big Green Egg company. As many of you know I am currently serving abroad in a less than desirable place. In our compound on Friday nights we have a bonfire, bbq, smoke cigars, tell lies, and just relax and recharge for a few hours. Well, our BBQ grill is a make shift 55 gallon drum. Subsequently, I reached out to the Big Green Egg company about getting one shipped to us. The fine folks there went over and beyond. Please read the below email and if you are considering purchasing a grill, or if you have a moment to shoot this gentleman an email of thanks on behalf of the support his company has provided to your troops, I would consider it a personal favor.

Thanks guys....B

Brian

It took a little time but we got it all done. We are shipping a large egg with nest and accessory kit along with 10 bags of Charcoal (20 lb.) and some other items that we thought you and the guys would like.

We would like to take this opportunity to say THANK YOU for all that your doing. Please pass this on to everyone that you see and tell them all that we are so Grateful for everything that you all are doing. I know from my own experience in the first Gulf War that it is hard to be away for Christmas but know that you and all the men and woman that are serving right now in Iraq and abroad are in our prayers and in our thoughts. We love you guys and look forward to you coming home safe and as soon as possible. Now go kick some a$$!!!!!!!!!!!

Semper Fi Brother

John Creel
Big Green Egg
3417 Lawrenceville Hwy
Tucker, GA 30084
770-938-9394 ext 118
www.BigGreenEgg.com
john@biggreenegg.com

Ric
12-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Bri, I just picked up "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Lutrell. I forgot the nickname they gave the EOD guys but immediately thought of your ugly *** when I read it. Be careful dammit

bcampbe7
12-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Friends,

I wanted to pass on to y'all the support I received from the Big Green Egg company. As many of you know I am currently serving abroad in a less than desirable place. In our compound on Friday nights we have a bonfire, bbq, smoke cigars, tell lies, and just relax and recharge for a few hours. Well, our BBQ grill is a make shift 55 gallon drum. Subsequently, I reached out to the Big Green Egg company about getting one shipped to us. The fine folks there went over and beyond. Please read the below email and if you are considering purchasing a grill, or if you have a moment to shoot this gentleman an email of thanks on behalf of the support his company has provided to your troops, I would consider it a personal favor.

Thanks guys....B

Brian

It took a little time but we got it all done. We are shipping a large egg with nest and accessory kit along with 10 bags of Charcoal (20 lb.) and some other items that we thought you and the guys would like.

We would like to take this opportunity to say THANK YOU for all that your doing. Please pass this on to everyone that you see and tell them all that we are so Grateful for everything that you all are doing. I know from my own experience in the first Gulf War that it is hard to be away for Christmas but know that you and all the men and woman that are serving right now in Iraq and abroad are in our prayers and in our thoughts. We love you guys and look forward to you coming home safe and as soon as possible. Now go kick some a$$!!!!!!!!!!!

Semper Fi Brother

John Creel
Big Green Egg
3417 Lawrenceville Hwy
Tucker, GA 30084
770-938-9394 ext 118
www.BigGreenEgg.com
john@biggreenegg.com

That is awesome Brian!
It is great to see the support from companies like this. :cool: :cool:

TMCNo1
12-14-2007, 12:53 PM
I just sent a e-mail, thanking John for his support of our friend and his buddies overseas. Thanks for letting us know about it!

BriEOD
12-14-2007, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the support Harold!

tex
12-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Way cool...email already sent!

lanier92prostar
12-14-2007, 01:49 PM
E-mail sent. Brian, thanks again for all you do in protecting our country. Be safe wherever you are!

BrianM
12-14-2007, 02:02 PM
I sent an e-mail and had a personal thank you back within 5 minutes.

lanier92prostar
12-14-2007, 02:06 PM
I did too from my school e-mail. He recognized that I was local and asked where all the e-mails were coming from. He said that he wasn't expecting any recognition from his donation. Seemed to be a nice guy. If I ever buy a green egg, I will definitely go to him.

east tx skier
12-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Just sent one as well. Don't own one and am not in the market currently, but wanted to show my appreciation nonetheless.

TMCNo1
12-14-2007, 02:31 PM
I was gone for a while and when I got back, I had a e-mail reply,

Thanks for your email. I didn't expect anything like this. We where happy to help and hopefully we can do more. Have a great weekend and a Merry Christmas!

John Creel
Big Green Egg
3417 Lawrenceville Hwy
Tucker, GA 30084
770-938-9394 ext 118

TMCNo1
12-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the support Harold!

Anytime, and if you need anything from this end, all you have to do is hollar. We are here for you and thank you for all you do!

milkmania
12-17-2007, 11:23 PM
my email was proudly sent!

Thank You Brian

BriEOD
05-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Big Mac/Farmer Ted,

I got away for awhile and you let the thread die! Come on, lets see some cooking. I've got some heavy duty stuff to do this weekend and I'll get some pics. I'm going to do three Boston Butts and some hole Chickens.

bigmac
05-28-2008, 09:58 AM
I had to buy a second Green Egg (medium) for the vegetables.

I note that it's time to replace the gasket on my large BGE - gettin' a little thin....

BriEOD
05-28-2008, 11:32 AM
I singed my gasket one night doing filets at 700 degrees and subsequently replaced it. What a pain to scrape all that crap off.

Any suggestions on doing whole chickens?

I've got my butts down cold. It is the best thing I do. Although, I might experiment with the rub this time. I'm going to use hickory and apple to smoke. I set it at about 225 degrees and let it go over night. If I do 3 at one time it takes me 12-14 hours. I have a digital thermometer with remote. So, once I get the temperature in the Egg regulated, I set the alarm on the remote and forget about it.

My in-laws sent me some sirloins from Kansas City Beef Co. and I did those the other night while drinking about 4 Miller Lites. Man, did I miss BBQ and beer!!

BriEOD
05-28-2008, 11:33 AM
I had to buy a second Green Egg (medium) for the vegetables.

I note that it's time to replace the gasket on my large BGE - gettin' a little thin....

Did you build a new stand to accomodate both Eggs?

bigmac
05-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Did you build a new stand to accomodate both Eggs?Nah...I took the easy way out and put it in one of those rolling nest things.

Ric
05-28-2008, 12:23 PM
green egg question... I smoked 4 pork rib racks on my pitts and spitts this weekend and threw some chicken breasts on near the end. with room to spare... How is the egg for smokin lots of ribs etc? can you fit 4 racks on there?

dmayer84
05-28-2008, 12:33 PM
I need some recipes for mine.

SkiDog
05-28-2008, 12:47 PM
I am trying to sell my BGE. It's the middle sized one. been used one time! Call me, lets deal!

bigmac
05-28-2008, 12:50 PM
I need some recipes for mine.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

wakeX2wake
05-28-2008, 12:59 PM
green egg question... I smoked 4 pork rib racks on my pitts and spitts this weekend and threw some chicken breasts on near the end. with room to spare... How is the egg for smokin lots of ribs etc? can you fit 4 racks on there?

Not that good for larger quantities like that... i haave a friend w/ the middle size and he can get two full racks on there though... those things are awesome... some of the best slow cooked b-b-q i've ever eaten has come off on of those

bigmac
05-28-2008, 01:00 PM
green egg question... I smoked 4 pork rib racks on my pitts and spitts this weekend and threw some chicken breasts on near the end. with room to spare... How is the egg for smokin lots of ribs etc? can you fit 4 racks on there?4 racks would fit easily on a Large. You could smoke 7 racks if you fit 'em vertically, maybe even more if you use the elevated extenders. I think you could get a whole pig on the Extra Large if you get the one with the 3.42 rear end.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/artwork/3Tier.png http://www.biggreenegg.com/artwork/Grill-Extender.gif http://www.biggreenegg.com/images/HMRG_Parts_000.gif

BriEOD
05-28-2008, 01:08 PM
I am trying to sell my BGE. It's the middle sized one. been used one time! Call me, lets deal!

I can't belive you don't use it!:eek:

BriEOD
05-28-2008, 01:18 PM
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

Great site Mac...never seen that before. However, some of that migrated over from the BGE users site. One of my favorite pages, kickassbbq.com started charging for recipes.

Ric
05-28-2008, 01:31 PM
4 racks would fit easily on a Large. You could smoke 7 racks if you fit 'em vertically, maybe even more if you use the elevated extenders. I think you could get a whole pig on the Extra Large if you get the one with the 3.42 rear end.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/artwork/3Tier.png http://www.biggreenegg.com/artwork/Grill-Extender.gif http://www.biggreenegg.com/images/HMRG_Parts_000.gif We like it BIG in Texas Mac.

Thankya

TMCNo1
05-28-2008, 02:08 PM
I can't belive you don't use it!:eek:

Hey, he bought it (smoker) thinking it was some kind of PWC!:rolleyes::D

trickskier
05-28-2008, 02:43 PM

Bring it to Kingsley in 2 weeks and I'll give you $50.00 for it...............;)

BriEOD
05-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Tricky...

I'll show you the fruits of labor of the BGE come Sunday. Than you really might want to make Dawg an offer.

TX.X-30 fan
05-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Can you get the temps down to 190/200 and if so how long will it stay before more fuel needs to be added?.

I did 2 briskets, 4 bb backs, and a pork shoulder for Sunday. 14 hrs on the briskets, 16+ on the shoulder, and around 5 on the ribs. After I got the fire started around 9pm sat, more fuel at 3am, again at 9am and a little more to get the ribs finished at 5pm. Each time was about 2 double hand fulls of lump. It was hotttttt here so the pit was not hard to keep hot I guess. All said about 20 pounds of lump and the pit was 1/2 full which is really best anyway to keep the meat all back away from the fire and I never have to swap it around that way.

No rib or shoulder pic we got a little busy with prep.

trickskier
05-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Tricky...

I'll show you the fruits of labor of the BGE come Sunday. Than you really might want to make Dawg an offer.

I can't wait!!!

BriEOD
05-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Can you get the temps down to 190/200 and if so how long will it stay before more fuel needs to be added?.

I did 2 briskets, 4 bb backs, and a pork shoulder for Sunday. 14 hrs on the briskets, 16+ on the shoulder, and around 5 on the ribs. After I got the fire started around 9pm sat, more fuel at 3am, again at 9am and a little more to get the ribs finished at 5pm. Each time was about 2 double hand fulls of lump. It was hotttttt here so the pit was not hard to keep hot I guess. All said about 20 pounds of lump and the pit was 1/2 full which is really best anyway to keep the meat all back away from the fire and I never have to swap it around that way.

No rib or shoulder pic we got a little busy with prep.

Before I do a big job I typically take my fire box apart and shop vac it out. I fill the entire fire box with lump charcoal and get it going. My shoulders normally take 12-16 hours. I have NEVER had to add extra lump charcoal. Occasionally, I add some extra wood chunks. Yes, I can get my down to 190/200 and it will hold--no problem. The Egg is really a great product.

BriEOD
05-28-2008, 08:01 PM
I'll take some photos of my work this Saturday. I'll let my guests provide my food a review.

TX.X-30 fan
05-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks Brian, what's on the menu Saturday? This shoulder turned out better than I have done in a while. Was funny to see brisket eating Texans going for seconds on the pulled pork. Wish I was closer I would love to sample your work. Welcome home and thanks for what you do.

BriEOD
05-28-2008, 09:01 PM
My wife is throwing me a "welcome home" party. I'm going to do at least 3 pork shoulders, some whole chickens and maybe some ribs. All of that on the Egg. Plus cornbread casserole (my favorite part of the entire meal), baked beans and more fixins. Of course, plenty of beer. I'll start Saturday, obviously. Although, we have dinner reservations Saturday night with some friends.

The Egg is just so versatile. I do Pizza, veggies, potatoes, pork, fish, beef, chicken. Heck, I did chocolate chip cookies on my plate setter once.

mattsn
05-28-2008, 10:23 PM
I have a large BGE. I have done 35-40 lbs of Boston Butt for over 14 hours and NEVER added lump. Maintained a constant 220 or 250 which ever I set it at.

Also, do salmon on a plank, oysters, pizza and of course the usual steak, chicken etc. Cannot beat a BGE

BriEOD
05-28-2008, 10:27 PM
Totally agree with you. It is a great product and makes some EGG-selent food.

TX.X-30 fan
05-28-2008, 10:44 PM
My wife is throwing me a "welcome home" party. I'm going to do at least 3 pork shoulders, some whole chickens and maybe some ribs. All of that on the Egg. Plus cornbread casserole (my favorite part of the entire meal), baked beans and more fixins. Of course, plenty of beer. I'll start Saturday, obviously. Although, we have dinner reservations Saturday night with some friends.

The Egg is just so versatile. I do Pizza, veggies, potatoes, pork, fish, beef, chicken. Heck, I did chocolate chip cookies on my plate setter once.

Sounds like a great time I want to try your pork, what sause do you finish it up with? I will also have a serving of that cornbread. ;)

BriEOD
05-28-2008, 11:04 PM
I put out a few sauces. I make a NC vinegar and than just by some Sweet Baby Ray's to put out.

No, it is a cornbread casserole. It is creamed corn, sour cream and jiffy cornbread mix in a casserole. It is good!

trickskier
05-29-2008, 06:57 AM
I put out a few sauces. I make a NC vinegar and than just by some Sweet Baby Ray's to put out.

No, it is a cornbread casserole. It is creamed corn, sour cream and jiffy cornbread mix in a casserole. It is good!

Is it Sunday yet??? I'm salivating!!!

BriEOD
05-29-2008, 07:55 AM
Patience grasshopper.

Knox's_Better_half
05-29-2008, 09:05 AM
I looked at these and they seem pretty cool. My question is are they really as good as they claim to be. And how are they in expense wise compared to a gas grill. Gas refills vs the lump charcoal...etc??

TX.X-30 fan
05-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Gas grill vs charcoal grill, to different animals. Convenience gas, taste charcoal.

I believe the EGG heads on here are trying to say its a smoker, baker, pizza maker and a steak and cheekin grill.

bigmac
05-29-2008, 10:04 AM
I looked at these and they seem pretty cool. My question is are they really as good as they claim to be. And how are they in expense wise compared to a gas grill. Gas refills vs the lump charcoal...etc??I've never owned a gas grill, never will, so I can't compare costs. A 20 lb bag of lump charcoal is about $10-$15 and will last a long time. I got tired of dealing with tons of ash, rust, and replacing Weber kettles every couple of years and switched to the BGE a couple of years ago. IMHO, it's every bit as good as they claim it is. It has exceeded my expectations in every way.

As mentioned...gas = convenience and that's about all there is to recommend it. Nobody buys a gas grill because they prefer the taste to charcoal. Personally, I've always felt that if you're going to cook a steak on a gas grill, you might as well broil it in the oven.

TX.X-30 fan
05-29-2008, 10:05 AM
I looked at these and they seem pretty cool. My question is are they really as good as they claim to be. And how are they in expense wise compared to a gas grill. Gas refills vs the lump charcoal...etc??

Best left to the men anyway, don't worry your pretty little head about it. Now run along and get that ironing done. :D:D

TX.X-30 fan
05-29-2008, 10:15 AM
I've never owned a gas grill, never will, so I can't compare costs. A 20 lb bag of lump charcoal is about $10-$15 and will last a long time. I got tired of dealing with tons of ash, rust, and replacing Weber kettles every couple of years and switched to the BGE a couple of years ago. IMHO, it's every bit as good as they claim it is. It has exceeded my expectations in every way.

As mentioned...gas = convenience and that's about all there is to recommend it. Nobody buys a gas grill because they prefer the taste to charcoal. Personally, I've always felt that if you're going to cook a steak on a gas grill, you might as well broil it in the oven.

Almost correct, the new pro gas grills can sear steaks at very high temps and produce a great steak. They are similar to how Ruth Chris does theirs under infrared broilers.

Still hard to beat charcoal grilled steak.

Knox's_Better_half
05-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Best left to the men anyway, don't worry your pretty little head about it. Now run along and get that ironing done. :D:D

Oh, I am not sure where to start with that one!!:rolleyes: I dont iron....if he wants it ironed, he should take it somewhere....Mommys perhaps....I have birthed the children and cleaned the house..... Now, I was thinking that I might be tempted to get him one of these...cause I too like the flavor of wood or charcoal....gas grills that we have had seem to be lacking...conv. yes, but lacking in the flavor dept.

BTW...are you kidding me.....left to the men??? I feel like I have just been patted on the head and sent to the kiddy table:D

BriEOD
05-29-2008, 11:52 AM
They are similar to how Ruth Chris does theirs under infrared broilers.

I have reservations and RC on Saturday night. I've been waiting 6 months for a mouth watering filet!!:banana:

BriEOD
05-29-2008, 12:04 PM

Good question.

Historically, I was a gas grill guy. However, I had yet to open my eyes. Gas is nice, convenient and not much maintenance. You get a grill and fill the tank now and then. Gas grills start pretty inexpensive and walk up to stainless and infrared.

On the other hand, the BGE is more labor intensive. You frequently have to load charcoal and remove the ash. This does get a little messy (worst part of the Egg IMO). Moreover, you have to wait for the charcoal to catch, etc. It takes more time. With all that said, no gas grill is as versatile as a BGE. I can do an entire meal, including desert, on my EGG--meat, potatoes, veggies and ever cookies. The BGE doesn't dry things out or cook inefficiently with hot spots, etc.

Over time I wager the cost of propane vs. charcoal is pretty even. However, initially the BGE is a bigger investment than a gas grill. You get what you pay for. We love ours.

Knox's_Better_half
05-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks....Some very useful info. I was thinking that I wanted to get one, but with an upcoming move and all the other lake toys that Knox has to have, a new grill may need to wait. But I do like the idea of being able to cook an entire meal and the flavor of wood or charcoal over the gas grill.

bigmac
05-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Lump charcoal gives food a better flavor than standard briquettes IMHO. The reason for this, according to the Naked Whiz, is that the fillers and binders used to keep the briquette's shape impart their own flavor to the food they are cooking. As he says, relative to those binder and filler additives, "briquettes are the hot dogs of the charcoal industry". I've found that to be true - the flavor of meats from the BGE is distinct. Furthermore, even that flavor can be modified by throwing a handful of soaked wood chips. I kind of like the Jack Daniels chips for hamburgers, but also like apple wood for some things and mesquite for others...depending on the "genre" of the meal.

Relative to charcoal...I've spent a lot of time in rural Haiti over the years. That country has little in the way of energy sources and most of the cooking in most of the country is done with charcoal. The smell associated with actually MAKING the charcoal is very distinctive and one I'll always associate with third-world countries. Fortunately, COOKING with it doesn't have the same smell.

TX.X-30 fan
05-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Oh, I am not sure where to start with that one!!:rolleyes: I dont iron....if he wants it ironed, he should take it somewhere....Mommys perhaps....I have birthed the children and cleaned the house.....

BTW...are you kidding me.....left to the men??? I feel like I have just been patted on the head and sent to the kiddy table:D

What is this world coming to next thing you will tell me is you can't sew! 8p

trickskier
05-29-2008, 01:36 PM
I have reservations and RC on Saturday night. I've been waiting 6 months for a mouth watering filet!!:banana:

Best steak in Jacksonville...................Besides my house................:D

The Ruth's Chris here is downtown on the St. Johns River.................Absolutely beautiful setting!!!

Have a Great time Saturday night!!! :D

BriEOD
05-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Steak burgers tonight.

BriEOD
05-29-2008, 08:21 PM

BriEOD
05-29-2008, 08:22 PM

trickskier
05-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Looks Great Brian.....................:D

TX.X-30 fan
05-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Are you using a midget spatula to turn those??

Knox's_Better_half
05-29-2008, 10:38 PM
What is this world coming to next thing you will tell me is you can't sew! 8p

Sew?????? What exactly is that????;) Nope, I dont iron, I dont sew!! I am way to busy with the washin and the tendin to the children and the cleaning of the house that if I took time away to iron or sew....I would never get out to play in the beautiful boat that I OWN!!!8p:D

TX.X-30 fan
05-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Is the EGG considered "green" grilling?

TX.X-30 fan
05-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Sew?????? What exactly is that????;) Nope, I dont iron, I dont sew!! I am way to busy with the washin and the tendin to the children and the cleaning of the house that if I took time away to iron or sew....I would never get out to play in the beautiful boat that [COLOR="DarkOrange"]I OWN!!!8p[/COLOR

Do you not live in a community property state? :confused: :D

Knox's_Better_half
05-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Do you not live in a community property state? :confused: :D

Yep, in this community, its my property!!!8p:D

bigmac
05-30-2008, 07:30 AM
Is the EGG considered "green" grilling?Sure. Unless you're smoking or baking.

Ric
05-30-2008, 11:25 AM
what is that crap all over the patties bri?

dapicatti
05-30-2008, 12:01 PM

Looks like someone loves the green egg grill. What a cutie.

BriEOD
05-30-2008, 12:56 PM
what is that crap all over the patties bri?

Some steakburger seasoning. Came with the patties from Kansas City Beef Co.

Ric
05-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Looks like someone loves the green egg grill. What a cutie.
ya and his spatula is classic!

TX.X-30 fan
06-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Ok BriEOD how was the steak, what sides did we have, wine? Was the waitress Hott?? :D

loeweb
06-01-2008, 08:19 PM
I don't know about what sides he had, but the beer looked great!

BriEOD
06-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Ok BriEOD how was the steak, what sides did we have, wine? Was the waitress Hott?? :D

Had the filet, caesar salad, mashed potatoes and key lime pie. No wine...Miller Lite. It was awesome. The only part that was rough was the bill. We drank like $100 in beer!!

BriEOD
06-01-2008, 09:42 PM
30+ lbs of pork shoulder and 3 whole chickens.

BriEOD
06-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Making some dry rub.

BriEOD
06-01-2008, 09:44 PM
One the Egg for the night.....

BriEOD
06-01-2008, 09:45 PM
250 degrees and about 16 hours later....

BriEOD
06-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Spatchcock chicken....

BriEOD
06-01-2008, 09:47 PM
On the grill.....

BriEOD
06-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Finished product...1 hour @ 350 degrees and some bbq sauce.

Maristar210
06-01-2008, 09:48 PM
You are making me hungry Brian !!!!!!!!!

mattsn
06-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Looks fantastic. I will be doing some Boston Butts next weekend for BBQ. I have to make some for the kids in preparation for out July 5th Crawfish Boil. We fly in 75-100 lbs of fresh Louisiana crawfish for a boil on the beach. Some of the kids have not mastered the art of chomping of the head and sucking out the goodies. Lots of beer, hurricanes and wine help.

BriEOD
06-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Well, you should have come by.

I'll let Trickskier rule in on whether it was any good.

Farmer Ted
06-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Finished product...1 hour @ 350 degrees and some bbq sauce.

Looking good! Watch out or you'll end up a tank @ss!

trickskier
06-02-2008, 07:26 AM
Well, you should have come by.

I'll let Trickskier rule in on whether it was any good.

BBQ was EXCELLENT!!! Thanks for inviting me down and WELCOME HOME!!!

Knox's_Better_half
06-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Brian, that looks like some good eats!!

TX.X-30 fan
06-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Good job Bri obviously not your first rodeo! I guess the pork was tender enough for Trick's dentures?? 8p

BriEOD
06-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Good job Bri obviously not your first rodeo! I guess the pork was tender enough for Trick's dentures?? 8p

Yeah, he looked like Don Ho. He had on a nice Hawaiian print shirt, Maui Jim shades, Sperry boat sandals and some khaki cargo shorts. I think he thought we were going sailing! :D

TX.X-30 fan
06-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Ok EGG heads is it cool to put one of these on a 2nd story wood deck balcony??