PDA

View Full Version : Do You Hear That Noise?

Vern Swieringa
05-08-2005, 10:10 PM
I took my 230 out for the first run Friday. I had my dealer both winterize and dewinterize and store the boat. As I left the ramp, my LQ9 didn't seem to run as smoothly as last year. I thought maybe it just had to get warmed up and run some fresh gas through engine. After an initial warm up, I put the hammer down. I could only get 4000 RPM and the MPH ran about 6 less than last summer, 44 mph. So I slowed down and lifted the engine hatch and noticed a slight grinding noise. With the hatch up, I put it in reverse and the noise got louder with a noticable, but soft rythmic clunking. What's that noise? I loaded the boat right up and drove back to the dealer that afternoon. They checked the tranny fluid for metal shavings and fill level. It all looked good. There initial prognosis is a faulty dampening device between the engine and the tranny. Has anyone else run into such a problem? There is only 134 hrs. on the engine. :noface:

6ballsisall
05-08-2005, 10:15 PM
Thats exactly what my dampener plate sounded like on my 86' only I thought it was the transmission. Both have been replaced now. Sure seems awful wierd that you would be having these issues at such low hours. Have you had an extensive amount of water get in the hull area? I noticed when replacing mine that there was significant rust and even some mud in the bottom part of my bell housing leading me to believe the Prior Owner was unaware of the importance of running the bilge.
Fortunately your boat sounds like it is under warranty, let em fix it up right

André
05-09-2005, 06:58 AM
Why the dampening plate would make the engine to rev only 4000 rpm ?

Vern Swieringa
05-09-2005, 09:53 AM
I don't know much about what or how this dampening plate works. I wonder the same thing about the low RPM's. My dealership is taking her out on the water today to check things out. Hopefully they will be able to determine some things. Glad I don't have H2Ogirl's dealership! Action Water has been really helpful and has bent over backwards to make things right in the past as I am sure they will do agin this time. I just feel bad that they have to deal with all this stuff. I hope they don't think of me as a whiney customer. I wish that I would never have to see them again for maintainance.

Vern Swieringa
05-09-2005, 09:57 AM
Thats exactly what my dampener plate sounded like on my 86' only I thought it was the transmission. Both have been replaced now.

Jrandol,
If it was only your dampening plate making the noise, why did you replace the tranny too?

wiltok
05-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Action is the best. I was there Friday night to pick up my boat (after hours) - the boat was clean, tires properly inflated, bearings greased and armor all on the tires. They really run a first class operation - I actually drive about an hour to take my boat there. Based on my experiences (this and others) - you are in good hands.

Stritt
05-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Interesting.....I was out this weekend, my LQ9 started spitting and sputtering and even what sounds like backfiring about 4500 RPM. I thought bad gas, but not the case. Then when going in reverse a clunk sound has developed...............Looks like a visit to the dealership.

You are very lucky to have AWS for a dealer, I bought my 00 205v from Jerry and the crew, they were great to work with. I would drive from Indy to Holland, MI for service (about 3 hour drive each way).

Vern Swieringa
05-10-2005, 05:13 PM
As expected Action Water doing everything they can to make sure I'm happy. I stopped there today and they let me take an X30 home until my 230 is repaired. WOW!!! The latest news is that I was running on only 5 cyliners. SO they are replacing the spark plugs, same problem as noted on other threads here. They are also replacing the plug wires. That would certainly explain the lower RPM's. We are hoping that this will also fix the strange noise.

6ballsisall
05-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Jrandol,
If it was only your dampening plate making the noise, why did you replace the tranny too?

I was told by the person I bought it from they had it diagnosed and it was the transmission that was bad. Ordered the transmission, put it in, still no go. Tore it all apart again and put in the DP and all is good!

dmac
05-10-2005, 05:18 PM
I don't know much about what or how this dampening plate works. I wonder the same thing about the low RPM's. My dealership is taking her out on the water today to check things out. Hopefully they will be able to determine some things. Glad I don't have H2Ogirl's dealership! Action Water has been really helpful and has bent over backwards to make things right in the past as I am sure they will do agin this time. I just feel bad that they have to deal with all this stuff. I hope they don't think of me as a whiney customer. I wish that I would never have to see them again for maintainance.
You have spent enough money on your boat to be whiney if there is a problem that may be of some substance. Good that the dealer is being helpful.

Stritt
05-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Vern,

I would really appreciate it if you let me know the part numbers and plug type that AWS is using to replace your plugs. If you know the gap size that would really make another LQ9 owner happy. ;)

Glad to hear Action is still taking great care of their customers.

rodltg2
05-10-2005, 06:31 PM
my repair order states part# 55-6188 sparkplug #41-7984 6.0M/C

Stritt
05-10-2005, 06:42 PM
Thanks! Any idea on gapping?

rodltg2
05-10-2005, 06:51 PM
unforntunatley no, it doesnt mention it on the order. i can you that it solved all my problems.