PDA

View Full Version : what engine is this?

scramison
11-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Is this the cadillac engine?

What can you tell me about this one?

03 35th Anniversary
11-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Is this the cadillac engine?

What can you tell me about this one?

No... It looks like one of the 5.7L TBI motors....

Jim@BAWS
11-21-2008, 10:36 PM
330 HP LTR w. Northstar ignition

Great motor MultiPort Fuel Injection

Jim@BAWS

scramison
11-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Yea I guess that was more wishful thinking!

JimN
11-21-2008, 11:09 PM
I seem to remember someone on a car magazine having put one on a '69 Cutlass and apparently, it hauled azz.

H20skeefreek
11-21-2008, 11:37 PM
That is the LTR, replaced the LT-1. 5.7L vortec with cadillac northstar ignition.

h2oskiier222
11-21-2008, 11:51 PM
Yep that is the LTR...Here is the Cadillac LQ9:

scramison
11-22-2008, 01:18 AM
Which would you say is better the predator 5.7L or this LTR?

Seems like an inbetween for the predator and mcx?

Anyone know what car this LTR was intially put into?

That LQ9 is a beast! It takes up most of that engine compartment, not sure you could fit much more in there.

JimN
11-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Better, for what? You need to specify because they're all really good, but if you're generally going to be a WOT pulling a load, probably the LTR because it is MFI and the TBI has some air turbulence issues at high RPM. The TBI has a bump in the low end torque and uses a distributor which, technically means there are more misfires, but they're never really noticed. The Northstar ignition is better from what % of fuel burns. Overall, if you want more power and top end, the LTR would be the better choice but there's nothing wrong with the TBI, generally. The main differences are the intake and the ignition system.

LTR was never made for a car- just boats. The cast iron 350 c.i.d. pushrod motor was introduced in 1954.

Ric
11-22-2008, 11:59 AM
my ltr was a super reliable strong motor but always had some sort of lag or hesitation out of the hole. Never did figure it out. Had the fuel system cleaned, the dealer scanner couldn't find it, hi test fuel, nothing worked.. That said, it was still a great motor with plenty of power for our short setup slalom lake.

A buddy had a 205 sammy with the throttle body motor and it seemed to have more low end torque. That was a bigger boat with a better holeshot since there was no hesitation in the throttle at all. Not to say that the tbi was more horsepower, just a good motor and for the $ difference, I'd be fine with the tbi motor.

corey
11-22-2008, 01:02 PM
We run to different X-Stars (205V) with over 2500 pounds of ballast, one has the TBI and one has the LTR its pretty hard to tell a difference between the two. Never had them side by side but I've spent enough time in and behind the boats to say that either is a great option.

I've heard the TBI was a little more reliable but other than a waterpump we've never had an issue with the LTR.

X-Aggie
11-22-2008, 01:07 PM
Great Motor, but make sure it's had the oil pump gear serviced. Blew up an '02 a week before the bulletin about how brass on steel drives are not a good combo.

BTW I can tell you it's a V-Drive....

scramison
11-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Better, for what? You need to specify because they're all really good, but if you're generally going to be a WOT pulling a load, probably the LTR because it is MFI and the TBI has some air turbulence issues at high RPM.

Better for wakeboarding or pulling a load as you said.

Not sure what you mean by air turbulence issues. Something to do with the way the air intake is? Please explain so I can understand.

scramison
11-22-2008, 11:07 PM
my ltr was a super reliable strong motor but always had some sort of lag or hesitation out of the hole. Never did figure it out. Had the fuel system cleaned, the dealer scanner couldn't find it, hi test fuel, nothing worked.. That said, it was still a great motor with plenty of power for our short setup slalom lake.

A buddy had a 205 sammy with the throttle body motor and it seemed to have more low end torque. That was a bigger boat with a better holeshot since there was no hesitation in the throttle at all. Not to say that the tbi was more horsepower, just a good motor and for the $ difference, I'd be fine with the tbi motor.

Yea I could see how that would be frustrating. Given that its a used boat I should be able to detect hesistation before buying. Hopefully! I will give this some thought when I test it out.

scramison
11-22-2008, 11:09 PM
We run to different X-Stars (205V) with over 2500 pounds of ballast, one has the TBI and one has the LTR its pretty hard to tell a difference between the two. Never had them side by side but I've spent enough time in and behind the boats to say that either is a great option.

I've heard the TBI was a little more reliable but other than a waterpump we've never had an issue with the LTR.

good to have someone comment with experience on both.

scramison
11-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Great Motor, but make sure it's had the oil pump gear serviced. Blew up an '02 a week before the bulletin about how brass on steel drives are not a good combo.

BTW I can tell you it's a V-Drive....

I will ask the seller.

JimN
11-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Better for wakeboarding or pulling a load as you said.

Not sure what you mean by air turbulence issues. Something to do with the way the air intake is? Please explain so I can understand.

Intake air needs to flow cleanly in order for the motor to not starve. The TBI has the injectors right there, in the way and they aren't smooth, so the air flow is not as clean as it is with a throttle body with only a throttle plate in the way. That motor really wasn't designed for this purpose and the top end isn't what it is on the non-TBI, but it works great, anyway. I would never tell someone to not but a TBI boat unless they need the highest speeds. I have one on my pickup and it runs great, doesn't burn any oil and has close to 300K miles on it and other than regular maintenance, I replaced the starter and valve seals.

scramison
11-23-2008, 02:37 AM
interesting. I would probably try to create a fix for it, if possible. I have a CBR1000RR that I have done some work on so Im not too scarred. Especially when it comes to external things like intake.