PDA

View Full Version : Do the LT1 Motors have issues with overheating?

azthunder
11-21-2008, 10:39 AM
I've been in the market for a couple months now for the Maristar series 1995-1999 Model with an LT1 Corvette motor. On 2 of the boats I've looked at already have experienced some sort of overheating issue. One bad enough to warp the heads. Does anyone know if this is an inherited issue with that particular motor? Thanks!

YooperScott
11-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Seems like it is a semi common thing in boats with 1 of the 2 thermostats sticking. Was never an issue with the cars so in my opinion nothing is inherently wrong with the engine itself (all indmar did really was use a different ignition system and the raw water cooling system). Watch the temp guage closely during warmup and/or put the thermostats on a routine replacement program and all should be fine. That was what I concluded in my research and also my owning of several LT1 powered cars. Hope that helps some?

Scott
'95 LT1 Prostar 190

azthunder
11-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Thanks Scott for the reply. I was hoping to get a positive feedback from an LT1 owner. I was getting a bit nerved about it.

JLeuck64
11-21-2008, 02:00 PM
My 98 has an LT-1. I have owned it for a couple of years now with no issues. I can also tell it has never had a cylinder head replaced either. Sweet running engine...

corey
11-21-2008, 02:08 PM
The LT-1's dont have issues that cause them to overheat but they are more suseptible to damage if overheated. Make it a routine to check the impeller and watch for debris in the tranny cooler and you will not have any problems.

azthunder
11-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Great advice on the upkeep! It's too bad the boat with warped heads was the way it is because it was a beautiful boat with only 213 hrs for a 97 (the 225vrs). Flawless body and interior! And BTW, I found this information out from Mastercraft dealer who serviced this boat, not the seller. Makes me wonder about other things unknown. Dealer stated this problem wasn't fixed. This guy is selling this boat knowing these (assumed not fixed) problems. I haven't told him yet that I know about it...but I will. So let's say I have this issue fixed. Does this compromise anything else you think?

billr
11-21-2008, 06:13 PM
I've got a '96 MariStar with the LT1. Only had it overheat once, because of a bad raw water pump. I shut it down before it got too hot, and nursed it back to the launch. I don't know of any other issues. Some people will abuse anything! Bill

93ProStar205
11-22-2008, 12:54 PM
I have the Lt-1 in my 97 205. No issues and wonderful motor, but as others have said you need to monitor the stats and impellers. Overheating is bad for any motor, but particularly bad here thanks to increased suceptibility to damage.

azthunder
11-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Well, I've officially made the purchase on a 97 Maristar 225V LT1. Thanks for all the great advice on the upkeep. I'll keep a close eye on the stats and impeller and probably change anually regardless. Oh, the guy I bought from had the warped heads fixed at Corvette engine shop and had docs to verify. I also called the mechanic to verify. I think I got a sweet ride!! Anyone want to buy my 88 Tristar now!?

coz
11-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Well, I've officially made the purchase on a 97 Maristar 225V LT1. Thanks for all the great advice on the upkeep. I'll keep a close eye on the stats and impeller and probably change anually regardless. Oh, the guy I bought from had the warped heads fixed at Corvette engine shop and had docs to verify. I also called the mechanic to verify. I think I got a sweet ride!! Anyone want to buy my 88 Tristar now!?

Congrats on the new ride dude :headbang: what part of Az you gonna be using it in? you gotta post some pics :popcorn:

azthunder
11-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Will definitely post some pics! We typically stay around the Salt River Project lakes east of Phoenix, but may venture up to Powell a couple times now that I've got a bigger boat.

timz06
04-30-2009, 06:40 PM
I don't have an LT1 in my boat, but in my race car. The LT1 has reverse flow cooling-that means that the heads are cooled before the block, keeping them cooler and allowing for more compression. In a closed cooling system in a car, you have to be careful there is no air trapped in the system or the system will overheat. There are bleeder valves on the car systems, not sure about the marine, but something to keep in mind. That said, I have overheated my race motor, which is a 383 LT1 with ported head making about 520 hp, and all I did was blow a head gasket.

Tim

haayjay
05-01-2009, 11:11 PM
I Have A 95 Meristar 200vr W/210 Hrs.on It. An I Had Some Trouble With It Going Into A Limp Mode. With A Lot Of Calls And Replacing Sencers, It Turnd Out To Be Two Things 1 The Factory Cerculating Water Pump Had Rust Holes In It. And 2 There Is A Steam Vent Tube That Comes Off The Thermostat Housing And Gose Back To The Rear Of The Heads ( Cross Over Tube ).there Is A Heat Sender On The Rear Of The Heads And If It Dosent Get Cold Water It Will Send The Boat Into Limp Mode.oh The Two Thermostats Are Two Diferent Temp. Setings.