PDA

View Full Version : Filled the boat & the ground with fuel today

Maristar210
05-08-2005, 08:55 PM
I had to spend a hundred bucks on fuel today and when it reached to top of the tank it spewed fuel all over the place unlike I have ever seen on any boat I have owned. Soooooo....what the hell should I do to clean the residue off the side of the hull? and why the hell can't boat manufacturers fix this? Even the morons at GM have figured this out......right?

thank you, I feel better now and the dogs arse has been spared.

8.2 hours and counting. Zero beers consumed on board so far :eek:

Steve

erkoehler
05-08-2005, 09:00 PM
That seems to be a problem on alot of the MC. Search the board for tips on how to fillup the tank, and avoid some of the problem.

André
05-08-2005, 09:00 PM
That has been a problem on many boats for many years.
Really don't understand why they can't fix that...

SkySkiSpokane
05-08-2005, 10:18 PM
I have heard that some owners have replaced the vent hose on top of the tank with a long snaking hose so that the pump will "shut off" before it over flows. I personally just turn the key to the on position and watch the guage. When it get to full I just go with that.
Anyone here done the fuel vent hose trick? :confused:

6ballsisall
05-08-2005, 10:22 PM
If I get the nozzle all the way down in the filler neck and run it at the slowest preset I usually do ok and it kicks off before any spills. Course mine is ancient compared to yours!

ski36short
05-08-2005, 10:30 PM
I do the same. It's fine on the first click and I try not to approach full.

BTW Steve you'd better hope "those morons at GM" have V8s figured out or you'll have to find a sail for all that machined aluminum...

rodltg2
05-08-2005, 10:36 PM
this has happened on my brendella , mb sports and now mc. pisses me off every time. i usually dont fill the boat up all the way anyway to keep the weight down. but when i go out for a whole day on the water i need to. by the way my lq9 is a gas guzzler!

bcampbe7
05-08-2005, 10:42 PM
I have heard that some owners have replaced the vent hose on top of the tank with a long snaking hose so that the pump will "shut off" before it over flows. I personally just turn the key to the on position and watch the guage. When it get to full I just go with that.
Anyone here done the fuel vent hose trick? :confused:

I do the same thing SkySki... Turn the key on and stop when it gets close to the full mark.
I was refueling next to a guy in a Bryant and this happened to him. Fuel went everywhere. :noface:

SKI*MC
05-08-2005, 11:11 PM
If you want to know how to get that residue off the hull, vinigar water always does the trick for anything on a boat. More water than vinigar.

Holtrodj
05-08-2005, 11:39 PM
I've heard of people spraying vinigar water all over the boat and then wiping down after every use. Supposidly supposed to help w. water spots, maintain wax or something. Anyone else ever heard of this? How much vinigar are you supposed to use?

erkoehler
05-09-2005, 12:07 AM
I want to say I read on here 75 water, 25 vinegar???

6ballsisall
05-09-2005, 12:10 AM
Don't want your boat smelling like a fish and chips joint!! :D

JEREMY79
05-09-2005, 12:12 AM
I have a gas stain on mine. I cant get it off. I will try the vinegar thing.
I'll let you know,

Leroy
05-09-2005, 12:29 AM
There was an old thread on this and there is a solution, and I cannot see why everyboat is not made this way but I don't remember the details of the solution.

This is really one very frustrating problem that everyone seems to have. I think MC could have more business with a add of "Fill up simple and easy"

djhuff
05-09-2005, 09:11 AM
I have the same prob on my X30, I usually just end up listening to it when it starts to get full and can hear when the fuel starts filling up the tube. If I'm quick enough, I can shut it off before it overfills.

bcampbe7
05-09-2005, 09:56 AM
I have the same prob on my X30, I usually just end up listening to it when it starts to get full and can hear when the fuel starts filling up the tube. If I'm quick enough, I can shut it off before it overfills.

I would probably fall asleep before an X-30 gets full. :D
How big of a tank does that thing have?

rem_pss308
05-09-2005, 11:56 AM
I have used the vinigar and water to get water spots off. it works good. To get the yellow out, toilet bowl cleaner works great ( dont get it on your hands)

For the over flow problem has any one tried this from skidim.com

http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=LG-50

Ric
05-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Doug, the search king can find a link where some malibu guys installed some deal on the top of their tank that remedies this problem(I have not done it and cannot find the link)

LakePirate
05-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Not Doug, but SkiDim has this
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=LG-50

erkoehler
05-09-2005, 12:23 PM
seems like for 50.00 it would be worth a shot.

FrankSchwab
05-09-2005, 12:29 PM
MBO Fuel-Air Seperator install (http://www.malibuboatowners.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=42&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0)

/frank

erkoehler
05-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Thats pretty much the same as what skidim has.

djhuff
05-09-2005, 12:34 PM
I would probably fall asleep before an X-30 gets full. :D
How big of a tank does that thing have?

61 gallons, yes it takes a while

erkoehler
05-09-2005, 12:36 PM
:eek: WOW!

Sticker shock at the gas pumps....
:uglyhamme

rick s.
05-09-2005, 02:04 PM
I made marks on my fuel tank with a magic marker ('99 maristar 210) so I know in advance how much fuel it's going to take. Then when pumping gas I know when to slow down the fuel delivery to avoid spilling gas.

Maristar210
05-09-2005, 05:27 PM
Great, great posts as usual, you guys never seem to fail. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try the old "slow and listen" method first and then use the overflow kit if needed.

All in all I guess I was just scared the hell out of me and made me pi$$ed more than anything. If I was standing in front of that it would have been very ugly. Or the kids? very bad indeed. :eek3:

Especially since I was burnin one :smile:

Just kidding. Clean, but not sober.

Steve

east tx skier
05-09-2005, 05:47 PM
That skidim thingy looks like the ticket. The other fix mentioned was a loop in the fill hose. No idea if it works. I just look at how much fuel I have and calculate what I need. Then I listen for the high pictched sound of fuel coming up the fill hose and stop. It's not ideal, but I'm done modding for the season.

AirJunky
05-09-2005, 06:56 PM
Not Doug, but SkiDim has this
It looks to me like this only solves 1/2 the problem..... the gas spewing out the vent. What about the burp of fuel out the filler hose?

rodltg2
05-09-2005, 06:59 PM
i use quick clean marine every time i pull the boat out. smells good and keeps her looking shiny and new.

jimmer2880
05-10-2005, 07:12 AM
It looks to me like this only solves 1/2 the problem..... the gas spewing out the vent. What about the burp of fuel out the filler hose?

In the MB board link, it stated that it also fixes teh burp of fuel out of the filler house, due to the increased back-pressure in the filler line.

I was thinking the same thing until I got to the end of the post.

erkoehler
05-10-2005, 08:15 AM
In the MB board link, it stated that it also fixes teh burp of fuel out of the filler house, due to the increased back-pressure in the filler line.

I was thinking the same thing until I got to the end of the post.

That will be one of the first things I add to my boat! Which is just around the corner now....

H2OGirl
05-10-2005, 10:00 AM
I've heard of people spraying vinigar water all over the boat and then wiping down after every use. Supposidly supposed to help w. water spots, maintain wax or something. Anyone else ever heard of this? How much vinigar are you supposed to use?
The water vinegar solution works GREAT, we keep a bottle on the boat and wipe down with it eveytime, we do about half water half vinegar (maybe more vinegar). It takes water spots off of anything.

The fueling problem, we had the some problem the first time we filled up, must have pumped a couple of gallons on the ground...had the same problems with both our Sea Rays too, any good solutions would be awesome.

DanC
05-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Boat US tests fuel filling products

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Super article for all you folks beating on Mastercraft about the lousy fuel filling design. We are not alone.

www.boatus.com/foundation edit article is gone, sorry

One very important point. There are two types of filling systems, seperate vent lines and vented deck fills.
Bottom line. The Racor model LG-100 fuel/air seperator worked every time (not the Racor model LG-50) for those with seperate vent lines.
For those of us with newer boats and the vented deck fills, we are screwed.

The vented deck fill is a good concept, but we only recommend these products if you use them with caution. The vented deck fills did not promote backsplash as much as some of the inline separators did, but we were surprised by the fuel that found its way onto our decks. .........In general, we found that while refueling at 10 gpm, the amount of fuel from the venting process wasn’t significant enough to trip the auto shut-off fuel nozzles. Many times, the auto-stop feature disengaged just as the fuel reached the top of the deck fill, so the spills were contained to only a few ounces. However, none of the devices tolerated the high-speed fuel delivery at 20 gpm and sometimes spilled as much as a cup or more from the deck fill. Fuel would often continue to gurgle up and onto the deck, even after the nozzle clicked off. Additionally, because these deck fills have integrated vents, the nozzle opening was snug which made them prone to misting the deck with fine droplets of fuel.
As with the inline separators, we’ve learned you should never rely on the auto-stop nozzle triggering off in time. You will want to use an absorbent fuel collar, bib or pad to catch droplets, but do keep in mind this will restrict your ability to see what’s happening in and around the vent area. Also, always fuel slowly as you reach the top of your tanks.
unquote

FrankSchwab
05-10-2005, 01:34 PM
Article is still available:
BoatUS (http://www.boatus.com/foundation/findings/findings40/)

Diesel
03-13-2006, 02:44 PM
Okay I am reviving this thread from the dead because this is an issue that I want to fix before I head back out this season. While this thread has a lot of really good points I don't see a definitive solution? I read the article Dan posted which implies we are screwed but I am still wanting to try something. Also, I am not a very patient person so I refuse to accept the slow fill and listen method.

Just to be clear my boat has the PERKO style 0540 which is vented back into the filler and I am looking for a solution to this type of filler only.

After having gas all over me and the boat a more than a few times last year, I still cannot determine what is causing the back splash. I would like to determine if the fuel that is spilling out is coming back up the filler or if it is actually being spit out at high velocity (due to hydraulic pressure) from the vent line itself. I am leaning towards the vent theory since it is a fairly straight shot from the filler to the tank plus I never had this problem on my PS205.

Anybody have any thought, comments, or solutions before I start working on this problem??

east tx skier
03-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Diesel, is this not compatible with late model MCs?

Haven't heard whether it works or not. I don't know if this issue is the same as I've had, but if it is, I can't believe you didn't have this problem with your 205.

Way to keep beating the drum. It's a pain in the a$$ to be sure.

Andyg
03-13-2006, 04:17 PM

Haven't heard whether it works or not. I don't know if this issue is the same as I've had, but if it is, I can't believe you didn't have this problem with your 205.

No it is not compatible with the newer fill/vent lines. The newer boats have an all in one vent and fuel line.

The only thing that even comes close to working for me is to wrap the gas nozzel with about 50 sheets of paper towel so when it does back splash the paper towel absorbs 95% of it. I still usually have a little leak past, but it does keep most of it out of the boat.

DanC
03-13-2006, 04:24 PM
Doug,
I couldn't find the Boat US article but their tests showed the LG-50 seperator didn't work too well, but recommended the LG-100. And this only helps systems with seperate vent lines/fittings.

For the vent built into the deck fill fitting (like what Diesel and I have), they said you can use them but it didn't help. Boat US ran a very structured test, I only posted a very small portion of it.

Diesel,
I am find finding the gas is gurgling up my fill line. In my case, the amount of gas spewing up is very large (if I fill to the top at full speed), too much to be coming through the small vent hole. My solution is to bring paper towels and wad them up to make a ring around the nozzle to seal it. We have these dorky rubber seals here in California to catch and recylce the gas fumes. My paper towel donut is sealed between the gas nozzle's rubber seal and the boat's deck fill fitting. Auto shut off works, some gas might squirt past the paper towels but usually only a little. Paper towels go in the garbage at the gas station. I still hate this, hope you find a better answer.

Diesel
03-13-2006, 04:29 PM

I am still unclear if the LG-50 will help fix the problem on the newer styled fillers?? I think was designed for the separate filler/vent setups on the earlier boats to prevent liquid overflow from the external vent.

Has anyone tried the a separator like the LG-50 on the internal vent fillers??

My 205 was a dream to fill up compared to this 209. Yes, a small amount of fuel would gush out of the vent/overflow on the 205 but never back out of the filler like on the 209. The 209 can/will shoot gas a couple of feet in the air and all over the inside/outside of the boat. It's not a small amount of gas either. It is hard to believe in today's day and age functionality/technology can digress so greatly.

DanC
03-13-2006, 04:29 PM
No it is not compatible with the newer fill/vent lines. The newer boats have an all in one vent and fuel line.

The only thing that even comes close to working for me is to wrap the gas nozzel with about 50 sheets of paper towel so when it does back splash the paper towel absorbs 95% of it. I still usually have a little leak past, but it does keep most of it out of the boat.

It is "compatible", the lines are seperate out of the gas tank, but the deck fitting is integrated. The Boat US test installed them on the vent line of an integrated fitting and found they didn't help the problem. They even recommended the "donut" method that Andy mentioned as being the only sure fire method (other than fill reeeaaallly slow).

Ric
03-13-2006, 04:36 PM
very aggrivating indeed. On a 197, the spew not only gets on you and the gelcoat, but goes into the interior righhhht at the point where the rear seat cushion meets the rear sunpad and gets down into the cargo area below!!!!!!!!! I am sure diesels 209 does the same........

east tx skier
03-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Was worth a shot. Mine will come out the filler, but doesn't have any range. Just gets on the transom. I just look at the guage before I start filling and go about 1/2 gallon short of what I estimate it will take to filler up (if filling it all the way is my goal).

I haven't read this thread in a while and I recall the loop being thrown out there as a possible cure. But I also recall that a longer might help the problem. Could you just flip the tank around and run a longer fill line (as opposed to moving the fill cap location)?

If this is a ridiculous thought, just consider it a long way of saying BUMP.

Diesel
03-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Doug,
Diesel,
I am find finding the gas is gurgling up my fill line. In my case, the amount of gas spewing up is very large (if I fill to the top at full speed), too much to be coming through the small vent hole. My solution is to bring paper towels and wad them up to make a ring around the nozzle to seal it. We have these dorky rubber seals here in California to catch and recylce the gas fumes. My paper towel donut is sealed between the gas nozzle's rubber seal and the boat's deck fill fitting. Auto shut off works, some gas might squirt past the paper towels but usually only a little. Paper towels go in the garbage at the gas station. I still hate this, hope you find a better answer.

I too resorted to the towel method late last season and it sucks but was effective.

If it really is coming back up the filler I am not too sure what to do. You could be right because I also get a large amount of fuel come back up if I fill too fast. I am just not sure if that is a symptom or the cause??

One thing I did notice which helped last year was to keep the boat from moving as much as possible while filling. The tank is so flat that I believe the sloshing in the tank might be compounding the problem. This could be a design issue that cannot be solved easily.

First, I think I am going to remove the current vent tube from its location on the filler and vent it to an open catch can to see what happens. If the rerouteing the vent can prevent the spewing gas then I will install a through the hull vent like the older style system and call it a day.

Just for reference I found this pic of a 209 tank before the deck was added.

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/7002/dsc01512r3ys.jpg

DanC
03-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Diesel,
Now there's a thought. Also, while you are doing all this work for the good of boat owners everywhere, what about using an old style fill fitting? One where you can shove the gas fill nozzle all the way in, instead of having a fill hole with an ID that is almost the same as the fill nozzle's OD. Also Doug's idea of a longer fill hose sounds promising. Considering that a lot more gas is spilled in California every year than these lousy gas vapor retention systems can save, you could probably get a grant from CARB for this research. Oh, wait, I forgot, CARB can't give you a research grant because THEIR HEADS ARE TOO FAR UP THEIR ARSE!

mitch
03-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Slow and listen works for me everytime. If it's low you can go full speed for a bit, then slow it down. I would drink more beer in the boat if I were you. :toast:

Great, great posts as usual, you guys never seem to fail. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try the old "slow and listen" method first and then use the overflow kit if needed.

All in all I guess I was just scared the hell out of me and made me pi$$ed more than anything. If I was standing in front of that it would have been very ugly. Or the kids? very bad indeed. :eek3:

Especially since I was burnin one :smile:

Just kidding. Clean, but not sober.

Steve

Diesel
03-13-2006, 05:23 PM
Diesel,
Also, while you are doing all this work for the good of boat owners everywhere, what about using an old style fill fitting? One where you can shove the gas fill nozzle all the way in, instead of having a fill hole with an ID that is almost the same as the fill nozzle's OD.

It appears Perko makes the same style filler as we currently have without the vent. Definitely would make for a clean and easy bolt-in upgrade (if it solves the problem). I guess I will have to order one up and see if the ID is any larger without the vent provision.

ecelis
03-13-2006, 07:22 PM
My two Four-Winns, my old Tigé, my 2002 X-Star, my new X-Star and my friend's Super-Air all had/have this problem.
We use the 'listen' trick described higher in the thread.

dhcomp
03-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Get good at predicting the amount of gas your boat will take based on the gauge....then just listen.

You can hear it bubble and crap right before it spewes out......

milkmania
03-13-2006, 10:19 PM
If I get the nozzle all the way down in the filler neck and run it at the slowest preset I usually do ok and it kicks off before any spills. Course mine is ancient compared to yours!

I do the same. It's fine on the first click and I try not to approach full.

I also use the fuel gauge, and I cannot even get to accept the first click......have to hold it the whole time:rant:

then I look at the station's fuel pump.....
it's got a sticker on it claiming to be the fastest fuel delivery system on the market:rolleyes:

Maristar210
03-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Diesel,
Now there's a thought. Also, while you are doing all this work for the good of boat owners everywhere, what about using an old style fill fitting? One where you can shove the gas fill nozzle all the way in, instead of having a fill hole with an ID that is almost the same as the fill nozzle's OD. Also Doug's idea of a longer fill hose sounds promising. Considering that a lot more gas is spilled in California every year than these lousy gas vapor retention systems can save, you could probably get a grant from CARB for this research. Oh, wait, I forgot, CARB can't give you a research grant because THEIR HEADS ARE TOO FAR UP THEIR ARSE!

DANC

Based on your sig it appears your have a bone to pick with any wakeboarders. Can I ask why? Is it that you think you are better than wakeboarders or that you skiing at 38 off enables you to some elitist club?

If so :rolleyes:

Steve

Ric
03-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Get good at predicting the amount of gas your boat will take based on the gauge....then just listen.

You can hear it bubble and crap right before it spewes out......
I've yet to hear anything out of mine prior to it puking. I have been accused of NOT listening before though :rolleyes:

Ric
03-13-2006, 11:40 PM
DANC

Based on your sig it appears your have a bone to pick with any wakeboarders. Can I ask why? Is it that you think you are better than wakeboarders or that you skiing at 38 off enables you to some elitist club?

Steve
:purplaugh heh eheh steve, I bought the T shirt

Diesel
03-14-2006, 10:37 AM
I've yet to hear anything out of mine prior to it puking. I have been accused of NOT listening before though :rolleyes:

I agree. You could definitely hear it getting close on my 205 but I hear absolutely nothing before it blows on the 209..............plus the gas gauge is hardly accurate enough for filling. I have yet to put enough gas in it to see the Full mark. :rolleyes:

Diesel
03-14-2006, 10:41 AM
DANC

Steve

Take it somewhere else. Your statement offers nothing to this thread and I do not want it side tracked. Either offer up some constructive advice/solutions or get out............ :mad:

DanC
03-14-2006, 11:39 AM
DANC

Steve

It's a joke. My family wakeboards, I wakeboard, my best friends wakeboard. I do not think I am better than "wakeboarders". I am not a bigot. I own a 209, I do not ski at 38 off. Thank you for caring enough to ask about me. btw, the other part of my sig is also a joke, I do not brag about having two flags and many cup holders. In case you were wondering.
Diesel, sorry for the threadjack, and thank you for the support.

Ric
03-14-2006, 04:43 PM
It's a joke. My family wakeboards, I wakeboard, my best friends wakeboard. I do not think I am better than "wakeboarders". I am not a bigot. I own a 209, I do not ski at 38 off. Thank you for caring enough to ask about me. btw, the other part of my sig is also a joke, I do not brag about having two flags and many cup holders. In case you were wondering.
Diesel, sorry for the threadjack, and thank you for the support.
I'd kinda like to run 2 flags on my boat. For a while I only had seven cupholders..... (long story :o )

Leroy
03-14-2006, 05:01 PM
If I'm pumping fast you cannot stop quick enough before it spews gas everywhere. I would not put my ear close to listen. After couple of times I just fill up to 3/4 or so. 61 gal tank that's all I can normally afford anyway!