PDA

View Full Version : A time for change Crossfit maybe it

kycat2007
11-20-2008, 12:30 PM
It always seems we talk about exercising sometime around this time of the year and again in the spring when it is about time to ski some more.

This year I lost 30 lbs and got to 172lbs. Felt like I was making progress. Ran the mini and thought I was doing great. What I have found out is that I am skinny fat now. I lost alot of muscle. After the marathon I gained back 10lbs. Thought I could control my weight through running and still eat Taco Bell and fast food. Wrong.

I rejoined the gym discovered my bodyfat is still high and instead of weight loss I needed to lose bodyfat. Need to be at like 170lbs and 12% bodyfat instead of 182 and 25% bodyfat. I would take 180 at 10% bodyfat where my abs would show. Hope that makes since.

Well I have found the new workouts for me and wanted to share them with you. Check out this site.
http://www.crossfit.com/
The diet is the zone diet. Mainly caveman food. Chicken, fish, steak, nuts, berries, spinach, brocoli, and natural unprocessed foods.

The beauty is you don't have to join a gym. The Workout of the Day or WOD is posted on the web site daily. There are many substitute lifts or exercises and it is scalable. 3days on then rest. Not everyone needs to lift the same weights amounts. Some of the workouts are 10-30min. This Crossfit is a new way of training that is sweeping the country. It is a free website and there are free videos for every exercise to teach how to do it more effeciently.

The military is starting to incorporate it into their training as well. Here are some videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pqBNPNcR9c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVBgKB4Gnsw
the girl is doing 95lbs there here name is Annie:)

I think this will help me achieve the goals I have. I hope it may help some of you that have wanted change but never seem to get there. Diet is probably 90% of it but effeciency makes us perform better.

ChicagoX55
11-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Congrats Kycat! It sounds like you really found something that works for you.

I as well started to exercise and eat right recently. I think the problem that most people face is that they just “diet”. I grew up over weight but athletic and during college decided to change that. I lost around 100lbs of body fat and learned to eat right in a way I could enjoy. To be healthy and stay in shape you need to make a lifestyle change, there is nothing temporary about health. You can’t diet, you need to eat right!

I learned that the hard way! A girlfriend’s bad habits rubbed off on me and I gained about 50 lbs back. : ( I recently returned to my old ways of eating and working out, I have lost 13 lbs in the last 2 weeks. I was a personal trainer for a few years and worked in a gym for a long time so if anyone has any questions just ask!!!

“Make time for your health now or make time for illness later” unknown

03 35th Anniversary
11-20-2008, 01:03 PM
I thought this was going to an Obama thread for a minute.......

kycat2007
11-20-2008, 01:20 PM
I think this Crossfit program does it so much better than traditional lifting. It adds endurance and works so many muscles you use everyday.
Plus the workouts are posted daily. The diet is Zone based. Makes things a bit more simple for everyone.

ChicagoX55
11-20-2008, 01:59 PM
It looks really interesting, I am reading more into it.

Skipper
11-20-2008, 02:08 PM
It is becoming popular in many gyms in the military, even for those deployed overseas. If you give it some effort it should work well for you. Good luck.

bcampbe7
11-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Does anyone click on signatures anymore??? LOL!

Seriously though, I am glad it is working for you Kycat.

VVVVVVVV

kycat2007
11-20-2008, 02:42 PM
bcamp I guess I never paid too much attention to the signatures as they are so far reaching at times.

I think that this Crossfit is different than personal emails sent to your emails as well. You get the videos on how to do each exercise. You can watch videos of WOD's and see others endure workouts that you are doing. The forums also let you talk to many people who may be experiencing the same problems or concerns. Also if someone is older and needs help with form vs a prescribed email some others may be able to help faster.

see this video for instance
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFitJournal_JimmyMaryworkoutPre.wmv

If this older lady can do this stuff at her age, I am inspired.

Justjoe
11-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Have you looked at P90X? Great stuff. If you really do the work, this will give you results.

TX.X-30 fan
11-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Does anyone click on signatures anymore??? LOL!

Seriously though, I am glad it is working for you Kycat.

VVVVVVVV

She is kinda hott when she gets all sweaty, like to see her do so squats. :D

BriEOD
11-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Best of luck to you. Just try and do something. It seems CrossFit is the latest workout fad. Not long ago it was Body-for-Life.

Skipper
11-21-2008, 09:33 PM
While stateside, physical fitness training is not an issue for combat soldiers. We do 90 mins in the morning, two-a-days, and plenty of battle focused training. It is when you find yourself on a tiny fire base, deep in indian territory, that we are restricted to make-shift gyms.

The best physical training program becomes the one that you enjoy. If you do, then you are more likely to stick with it.

kycat2007
11-22-2008, 01:15 AM
Many of the our local trainers at the gyms are incorporating the workouts in their personal sessions. Unlike Body for Life there is more accountability with crossfit. More variety, shorter workout times, and the crossfit web site has videos of all the lifts and certifications. It may fad out but it seems it may be the way to endurance train for the future. I think it will be good for footing and sking.