PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing procedures

viking91
11-20-2008, 12:58 AM
Just got a '05 X-2 this year and need to winterize it. Anybody do it recently that knows what must be done? Any help would be appreciated.

vision
11-20-2008, 01:21 AM
Great Boat. Sold mine last year to a person in Ohio. A beautiful black and orange boat.

Many folks will chime in here and there are several threads on winterization and you can find them using the the search function.

Make sure you have pulled the drainage blocks on each side of the block, disconnect the garden hose that connects the two exhaust manifolds, and remove the intake hose off the transmission cooler on the back starboard side of the engine. If you have a heater, make sure to drain it as well as any shower. Drain the ballast and it is suggested to flush propylene glycol (the non-toxic anti-freeze) through the lines and pumps. Also, make sure you change the oil and add stabilizer to the gas. Some fog the engine, some do not.

There are many other items listed in the manual which you can download from MC if you need. But these are some of the important minimal steps.

bigmac
11-20-2008, 07:15 AM
It's actually pretty well described in the 2005 owner's manual, with the exception that it says nothing about showers or heaters - don't forget those if you have them.

The owner's manual also says nothing about using antifreeze. It's probably not necessary, but a lot of boat owners do it, if for no other reason than the anti-corrosion properties,

LachNess
11-20-2008, 10:03 AM
I just winterized mine yesterday (Ah, a sad day pulling the boat out for the winter...) Anyway, I don't pull any plugs, I have fashioned a three gallon pail with a tub drain in it. I simply connect this to the water inlet hose in the bottom of the hull, add propylene glycol AF and run the engine until the AF runs from the exhaust. It takes about four gallons total. Done. One hose clamp. I have done this successfully for years, and feel like it beats bilge diving to remove a bunch of plugs. It's simple and eliminates the risk of missing a plug or not getting them all reinstalled.
It literally takes about 3 minutes.

I also fogged the carb this year for the first time. It can't hurt...

With a drip pan I can recover the vast majority of AF when I first start it in the spring too!

east tx skier
11-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Winterization Checklist (www.easttxskier.com/winterization.html)

viking91
11-21-2008, 02:59 AM
thanks for the info.