PDA

View Full Version : Who is ready for deer hunting?

jbfootin
11-18-2008, 06:23 PM
I have been looking forward to this weekend for 51 Weeks:D

jbfootin
11-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Another one.....

jbfootin
11-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Three standing together in this one...Looks like 2 of them are sizing eachother up and the one in the back is going to take on the winner:D

jbfootin
11-18-2008, 06:29 PM
I didn't even notice the spike buck the first time i looked at this one with turkeys... Do you see him?:rolleyes:

88 PS190
11-18-2008, 06:40 PM
yup he's pretty washed out though.

I almost went deer hunting w/ my car Friday night, seemed to be inches. Personally not much of a deer hunter though. I will occasionally take a doe on my uncle's farm, but I prefer rifles, and I live in IL, and went to school in IA, so its pretty much slugs, archery(only own target gear) or muzzle-loaders.

I go for pheasants and other small game.

No Skeez
11-18-2008, 07:43 PM
JB - If you ever need a hand "thinning the herd" at your place let me know! Those are some good looking deer!

ProTour X9
11-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Crap, I just had some of our trail cam pics on my computer, I don't know where they went....

No good bucks yet...

brianpt
11-18-2008, 08:24 PM
he came down last year took use one hour off serius hunting but we got one it only took him about six shots and got him in the but while it was walking away there like shooting fish in a barrel up here

03 35th Anniversary
11-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Thats pretty cool camera set up there Jbfootin, how long have you been using???

2RLAKE
11-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Two friends (great guys) have adjacent farms in KY where we go every year ... several hundred prime acres. The first weekend is just us guys, and the second weekend we bring our boys. I took a doe the first weekend and let a massive buck go ... he had a broken brow tine and we were going to have 5-6 kids the next weekend

I take my son Bruce, he's ten, back to the rifle range for one more practice round with his 30-30... he shooting 1.5" groups at 50 yards. We head down to the farm and go to one of the double stands. We are hunting on a hillside, with a drainage coming in the from the left, one from the far right, and they both feed into another heading away from us on the right side .... lots of oaks and deer trails everywhere. Its a great afternoon ... mid 50s and the temperature is dropping.

We did some rattling and grunt calls, but haven't seen anything yet. We've been there for 1.5 hours now, the sun is setting, and everything feels terrific

There he is ... directly in front of us coming down the hill ... please God, let this buck take a left and walk in front of us ... he does! OK Bruce, game time ... get ready there is a deer coming. "Is it a buck or a doe" he asks ... don't worry its just a deer ... don't look at the head just look at the body and get ready for a broadside shot. The buck stops between a couple of trees 50 yards out ... ok Bruce, nice and steady, shoot when you are ready. I ease up my right hand in back of Bruce's right shoulder to help with the rifle recoil and have my binoculars in my left

BAM

I'm watching and all I see is a white dust explosion directly over the buck's head .... what the heck???? The buck is now shaking his head and Bruce is saying "I think I got him dad". Bruce shot off part of his antler (left side G3). I chamber another round for Bruce and hand him back the rifle. Now Bruce realizes its a buck and is breathing hard ... control your breathing Bruce ... deep breaths .. and he does a great job getting himself calm. The buck is now walking again and stops again trying to figure out what just happened. Get ready Bruce ... here's your shot.

BAM

This time I see he's hit hard ... the buck starts trotting off with his head down ... he's hurt. I grab the rifle and chamber another round. The buck stops after 15 yards behind a tree and I see his head bobbing ... the death dance. I'm watching intently to make sure he doesn't go anywhere but can't see him anymore ... no deer .. where did he go? I'm assuming he went down, but we have all lost a deer before, and I can still remember mine ... not a good feeling. We are both glued to our binoculars ... looking for something on the ground but it is just too think to see clearly. Bruce think he sees him on the ground but I cannot.

Bruce is keeping an eye on my watch ... ten minutes is a long time to wait for a ten year old. I tell him we are going to wait 20 not 10 minutes. Finally its time. I tell Bruce we are going to say a quick prayer and he tells me he's been praying the entire time! I let Bruce get down first and make a little noise ... nothing moves.

We walk over and there he is. Bruce's excitement is hard to capture in words ... and there are no words to describe my feeling of pride in him. Bruce now realizes it is a nice 8 pointer and is just ecstatic ... "this is the best day of my life dad" .... what a day for the two of us. His shot was right in the boiler room too.

We head back to the house to get the other guys. One y friend had shot two does ... nice 200 yard shots from his trusty 6mm, and the two 16 year olds are now heading down the ravine to retrieve a doe one of them shot and she decided to run downhill all the way to the river ... it took two strong young men over an hour to haul her out!

We go get Bruce's deer, take some pictures, hang him in the barn, and head back to the campfire to tell the stories of the night and relive memories of the past ... a terrific tradition. What a day ... the rest of the weekend was cold and wet but successful. Two of the other boys shot does ... one of which was his first deer ... great job by all

2RLAKE
11-18-2008, 10:23 PM
oh yeah ... did I mention how proud I am of him???

ProTour X9
11-18-2008, 10:37 PM
He shot him in the head???

jbfootin
11-18-2008, 11:08 PM
Thats pretty cool camera set up there Jbfootin, how long have you been using???

Got my dad the camera last year at christmas. Put it out late August. Got over 100 shots of doe, but about3 or 4 weeks ago the big bucks started showing up. Now I just have to hope that a hot doe gets them running during the day, else I am going to have to get the night vision out:rolleyes:;)

TX.X-30 fan
11-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Saw this little guy off my porch. :D:D

turbosdad
11-18-2008, 11:33 PM

Dude that is a darn fine hill country deer!!!

uawaterskier
11-19-2008, 03:08 AM
congrats on your boys buck r2lake...deer season. Eh, not my gig, but I am however ready for duck season. It comes right after final season for me! And of course it must come before girlfriend season...otherwise I get in trouble for being gone for weeks on end

coz
11-19-2008, 07:31 AM
Two friends (great guys) have adjacent farms in KY where we go every year ... several hundred prime acres. The first weekend is just us guys, and the second weekend we bring our boys. I took a doe the first weekend and let a massive buck go ... he had a broken brow tine and we were going to have 5-6 kids the next weekend

I take my son Bruce, he's ten, back to the rifle range for one more practice round with his 30-30... he shooting 1.5" groups at 50 yards. We head down to the farm and go to one of the double stands. We are hunting on a hillside, with a drainage coming in the from the left, one from the far right, and they both feed into another heading away from us on the right side .... lots of oaks and deer trails everywhere. Its a great afternoon ... mid 50s and the temperature is dropping.

We did some rattling and grunt calls, but haven't seen anything yet. We've been there for 1.5 hours now, the sun is setting, and everything feels terrific

There he is ... directly in front of us coming down the hill ... please God, let this buck take a left and walk in front of us ... he does! OK Bruce, game time ... get ready there is a deer coming. "Is it a buck or a doe" he asks ... don't worry its just a deer ... don't look at the head just look at the body and get ready for a broadside shot. The buck stops between a couple of trees 50 yards out ... ok Bruce, nice and steady, shoot when you are ready. I ease up my right hand in back of Bruce's right shoulder to help with the rifle recoil and have my binoculars in my left

BAM

I'm watching and all I see is a white dust explosion directly over the buck's head .... what the heck???? The buck is now shaking his head and Bruce is saying "I think I got him dad". Bruce shot off part of his antler (left side G3). I chamber another round for Bruce and hand him back the rifle. Now Bruce realizes its a buck and is breathing hard ... control your breathing Bruce ... deep breaths .. and he does a great job getting himself calm. The buck is now walking again and stops again trying to figure out what just happened. Get ready Bruce ... here's your shot.

BAM

This time I see he's hit hard ... the buck starts trotting off with his head down ... he's hurt. I grab the rifle and chamber another round. The buck stops after 15 yards behind a tree and I see his head bobbing ... the death dance. I'm watching intently to make sure he doesn't go anywhere but can't see him anymore ... no deer .. where did he go? I'm assuming he went down, but we have all lost a deer before, and I can still remember mine ... not a good feeling. We are both glued to our binoculars ... looking for something on the ground but it is just too think to see clearly. Bruce think he sees him on the ground but I cannot.

Bruce is keeping an eye on my watch ... ten minutes is a long time to wait for a ten year old. I tell him we are going to wait 20 not 10 minutes. Finally its time. I tell Bruce we are going to say a quick prayer and he tells me he's been praying the entire time! I let Bruce get down first and make a little noise ... nothing moves.

We walk over and there he is. Bruce's excitement is hard to capture in words ... and there are no words to describe my feeling of pride in him. Bruce now realizes it is a nice 8 pointer and is just ecstatic ... "this is the best day of my life dad" .... what a day for the two of us. His shot was right in the boiler room too.

We head back to the house to get the other guys. One y friend had shot two does ... nice 200 yard shots from his trusty 6mm, and the two 16 year olds are now heading down the ravine to retrieve a doe one of them shot and she decided to run downhill all the way to the river ... it took two strong young men over an hour to haul her out!

We go get Bruce's deer, take some pictures, hang him in the barn, and head back to the campfire to tell the stories of the night and relive memories of the past ... a terrific tradition. What a day ... the rest of the weekend was cold and wet but successful. Two of the other boys shot does ... one of which was his first deer ... great job by all

Feel like I just read a story out of field & stream :D

Datdude
11-19-2008, 11:29 AM
hopefully I have a repeat of 2005. I was in my stand 30 seconds before this guy came along:cool:

2007 was a good year too.:D

jbfootin
11-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Those are some nice deer! Hopefully I can post some post season pics with one down!

VOLFAN
11-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Opening day of gun season here in TN is the Saturday and I can't wait! I am headed to OH on the 30th of Nov. To be there for opening day of gun season on Dec. 1st. Hopefully I will have pics to post soon.

norris_ps205
11-19-2008, 03:13 PM
oh yeah ... did I mention how proud I am of him???

Really? We couldn't tell.

Kevin 89MC
11-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Great story 2Rlake! Nice bucks Datdude! I finally got my first buck 2 weekends ago on Minnesota's rifle opener. I've taken a few does in the past, but really wanted a buck. Saw a nice 12 pointer at the end of last year's hunt, but couldn't get a good shot.
Opening morning was quite windy, but they were moving around a bit. Saw a fork buck that was a bit small, then a good sized 7 pointer came my way. Had a nice close shot, but managed to get him in the shoulder. He wasn't walking fast, guess I "led" the shot just a bit too much! Took him down all the same, but ruined some of the meat. Oh well. This is the first year I used the little scent wick things with estrus, guess they do work pretty well!
Good luck to all the Wisconsin hunters this weekend!

chudson
11-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Saw about 10 while combining corn this fall, i think three were bucks and only saw a couple of pheasant through the whole harvest. Generally I'll flush out at least 3 -4 pheasant to a field but they're pretty scarce this year!!!

x-10ron
11-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Great story 2RLAKE,
My co-worker called me last night, said his mom got three dears at one time, too bad it was with her 98 grand-am. fire rescue ask her if she wanted them, they were fightin over who got what.

2RLAKE
11-19-2008, 07:03 PM
i love this time of year ... my family says i'm obsessed ... OK i am
two more weeks for gun season in OH ... will be bowhunting a lot next week over thanksgiving

good luck to all ... more venison!

VOLFAN
11-19-2008, 09:33 PM
i love this time of year ... my family says i'm obsessed ... OK i am
two more weeks for gun season in OH ... will be bowhunting a lot next week over thanksgiving

good luck to all ... more venison!

Why county do you hunt in OH? I will be in Highland County 1st an 2nd of Dec.

03 35th Anniversary
11-20-2008, 02:59 AM
If the dog isn't chasing the deer off its........... well!!!!!

jbfootin
11-20-2008, 04:03 PM
3 more hours of work:D

corey
11-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Opener was awesome. We had 4 hunters and took 4 bucks including a spike, a HUGE spike, a 4 pointer and a 6 pointer. We hunt about 3 hours north of Minneapolis and this was the best opener we've ever had. Technically we have one more doe tag open, which I think someone will fill but I've got enough meat in my freezer for a while.

I ended up up taking that HUGE spike, he came in on my left and was looking right at me, luckily the wind was blowing from him towards me. I had to move around a tree in my stand and which made him stop and stare, so I held still and waited for him to move again, when he did his head ducked behind a tree which allowed me to line up a shot. He stopped moving and I could see his head and neck but the rest of his body was behind a tree. At this point I was stretched as far to the left as I could aim without having to reset completly so I squeezed off a shot to his neck which took him down instantly.

My buddy Scotty not only shot his first deer ever but he took the 4 and HUGE 6 pointer. All kidding aside the 6 really is huge, wider rack than the 10 pointers we saw while registering the deer!

No Skeez
11-20-2008, 04:34 PM
3 more hours of work:D

I love how opening weekend is almost a state holiday here! Good luck to everyone this weekend, and most importantly, hunt safe!

JohnnyB
11-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Missed opening day this year....just got back from Mexico last night at midnight. When I woke up yesterday morning, I woke out of a dream about getting up to go deer hunting and walking out to my stand in the dark....very realistic....then I woke up to 75deg, sunny and a few last rum drinks before getting on the plane.

Hope to get out late this week and/or next weekend.

ProTour X9
11-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Hunting has SUCKED around here, haven't seen more than 4 deer....

2RLAKE
11-23-2008, 06:22 PM
strange year in KY and OH .. definately have not seen as many as I normally do. A guys has a couple trail cams on the OH farm and most seem to be moving at night ... one more week and its gun season here

Ms. 03 35th Anniversary
11-23-2008, 06:46 PM

Those are nice shots there babe, like to have been up there on the porch "looking" with you.

Hope we get to hunt togather this year hunny, you know I like sitting a blind with my favorite Texan. (BIG SMILEY FACE BABE)

Ms. 03 35th Anniversary
11-23-2008, 07:07 PM
I don't know where some of you boys hunt but where I do we practice game management. We don't shoot the first little 2 yr old dear that walks out of the brush. Learn to take what needs to be taken from the herd, identify the animals age and use some common sense. If you don't know the buck to doe ratio where you hunt find out and take the doe's that need removing and shoot the spikes, its not glamorous but that's what needs to happen.

Have a nice day boy's.

03 35th Anniversary
11-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Those are nice shots there babe, like to have been up there on the porch "looking" with you.

Hope we get to hunt togather this year hunny, you know I like sitting a blind with my favorite Texan. (BIG SMILEY FACE BABE)

Really????

Ms. 03 35th Anniversary
11-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Really????

Its OK babe I still remember that little thang you used to do........ remember with the shop vac.

03 35th Anniversary
11-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Its OK babe I still remember that little thang you used to do........ remember with the shop vac.

Ya, and I remember what you used to do with that sawzall...

JohnnyB
11-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Some target practice for all the hunters...

http://www.southbank-design.co.uk/turkeyshoot/index.htm

Ms. 03 35th Anniversary
11-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Ya, and I remember what you used to do with that sawzall...

Did you like my attachments??

Wake2wake
11-23-2008, 10:39 PM
well i guess im not alone with this, but they definately seemed to be beded down hard core. normally i see atleast six to ten a day, so far after four full days of hard hunting, I have seen 8 total. passed up a couple 6 and 8 pointers, but nothing really worth shooting.

2RLAKE
11-27-2008, 02:28 PM
An exciting Thanksgiving morning ... 19 degrees in Cincinnati. I hadn't seen anything by 9:30 and was cold. At 9:40 it was time to get down. I packed up my climber and was getting ready to leave when I heard something coming off the hill .... a huge doe came trotting down the hill 20 yards away ... and guess what was chasing her? A huge 10 pointer with an inside spread of 18-20 inches ... right down one of the trails. Her chased her across the creek and they were gone.

If I had only stayed in my stand for another 10 minutes ....

ProTour X9
11-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Today was almost perfect: All of a sudden a few does come trotting in, a few more, finally theres 10+ does all around us, and you guessed it, out came that buck, a good 8 pt, problem was there was a doe in the way, I couldn't get a shot, then they got behind a few trees and I lost sight of them, the smaller does kept coming closer and closer, and were getting spooked and took off, then my dad picks up his gun found a opening where the buck was walking away: BANG. 10 minutes later we walk out there looking for blood, nothing. Finally I look at a tree, good sized chunk of bark shot clean off. Darn it!!

That buck has a lot to be thankful for.

jbfootin
12-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Saw only 3 doe all season. No one in our group even took a shot. As one of our group said, " We ar elike the Detroit Lions of deer hunting";):rolleyes:

Other than the lack of deer around, we still managed to have quite a bit of fun:D

River Rat
12-01-2008, 02:03 PM
I shot this 12pt in East Texas over the Thanksgiving Holidays:D scored a overall 137 at about 4 1/2 yrs old

wakeX2wake
12-01-2008, 03:21 PM
college roommate bagged this 12pt a couple of weeks ago... 18.5" inside w/ 7.5" base supposed to score 155-160... taxidermist said it would run at least that... no word back on the "official" score

worst part was the two drop tines that were broken off in velvet stage would have ran this thing to an al state record most likely

2RLAKE
12-01-2008, 08:03 PM
ugly opening gun day in OH ... low 30s, rain and snow which i dont mind but there was a 15 mph wind that had most everything bedded down tight. Saw two doe at 2:00 but didn;t have a shot. Talked with several people today ... no one saw much. But, there is tomorrow!

team north
12-02-2008, 12:19 AM
I live 2 miles from this park. There is no hunting allowed in the park, but you can bow hunt all around with land owner permission. It is about 15 minutes outside of winnipeg manitoba. My friends and I hunt all around the outside of the park and have taken many trophies. They say the park has 4 times the populaton that it can support, so the deer are fed by Natural resources and various land owners. Its almost impossible to get permission to hunt but if you know somebody......like shooting fish in a barrel!

team north
12-02-2008, 12:24 AM
i hope this works this time

team north
12-02-2008, 12:29 AM
these guys are so use to people, you can hand feed some of them...and yes these are wild... not in a cage deer, free to leave. Just that used to people!

jbfootin
12-02-2008, 10:01 AM
these guys are so use to people, you can hand feed some of them...and yes these are wild... not in a cage deer, free to leave. Just that used to people!

What do you hunt with?:confused:;):D

bbymgr
12-02-2008, 12:14 PM
What do you hunt with?:confused:;):D

Nothing beats a Demarini double wall.

SkiDog
12-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Here's what we're after this Jan. or Feb. My brother got this one this past March.

flipper
12-02-2008, 05:30 PM
What the heck did he shoot that thing with? A missile? Cannon?

ProTour X9
12-02-2008, 05:47 PM

A Dakota??

ProTour X9
12-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Maybe they hit it with the truck....

flipper
12-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Maybe they hit it with the truck....

That would have to be one he!! of a truck

SkiDog
12-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Shot it with a 470 Nitro Double Barrell! Bullets cost about $18.00 EACH. It took 7 of em to bring him down!

snakeoil
12-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Shot it with a 470 Nitro Double Barrell! Bullets cost about $18.00 EACH. It took 7 of em to bring him down!

I could drop that cow with a 30.06.

SkiDog
12-02-2008, 08:41 PM
I could drop that cow with a 30.06.

Maybe. If you hit him in the head. He wanted to mount the head without any bullet holes.

snakeoil
12-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Maybe. If you hit him in the head. He wanted to mount the head without any bullet holes.

Thats why there are taxidermists, how was the meat??

ProTour X9
12-02-2008, 10:09 PM

Notice he didn't say how many shots....:D8p

SkiDog
12-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Thats why there are taxidermists, how was the meat??

All the meat was given to the Fla. Sherriff's Boys Ranch. If its like any other buffalo I've had, it's too lean!

coz
12-03-2008, 02:53 PM

Looks like he has some missiles in his belt :D

Where is that?

snakeoil
12-03-2008, 08:47 PM
All the meat was given to the Fla. Sherriff's Boys Ranch. If its like any other buffalo I've had, it's too lean!

I have been on many caged hunts and dislike the experience. Just not the same as hunting wild animals. Personally I would rather shoot a mature doe in the wild than do that type of hunting.

Truth be known that beast was dropped into a big hole and buried, from what I know the cape buffalo in not very edible. It does make some hunters feel better to think the beast was not just slaughtered for the hunt.

coz
12-09-2008, 08:50 PM
First buck of the season http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13578

Not the way he intended though :eek:

denverd1
12-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Damn Coz! no kiddin! Good to hear you made it without major injuries..

Anyway, I posted a doe I shot earlier this year in the off season pic thread.

Saw a MONSTER buck during bow season, too far for a shot. Thats how it goes!

RiverRat, I'm in East Texas too. Where'd you shoot it?

coz
12-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Damn Coz! no kiddin! Good to hear you made it without major injuries..

Anyway, I posted a doe I shot earlier this year in the off season pic thread.

Saw a MONSTER buck during bow season, too far for a shot. Thats how it goes!

RiverRat, I'm in East Texas too. Where'd you shoot it?

No! No! it wasn't me just a member of another forum :eek: I'd use a gun :rolleyes: :D

bigmac
12-12-2008, 12:55 PM
In case you were wondering why harvest numbers are down...

jbfootin
12-12-2008, 01:32 PM
In case you were wondering why harvest numbers are down...

If I shoot both of them...would that be perceived as a hate crime?:rolleyes:;):D

Kevin 89MC
12-12-2008, 07:06 PM
If I shoot both of them...would that be perceived as a hate crime?:rolleyes:;):D

Literally laughed out loud at that one!:D

I think I remember reading somewhere (not the net!) that female white tail deer can grow antlers (very rare-like albino deer). Either that or that is one horny/desparate buck!