PDA

View Full Version : PS 197 rear seat bent?

moleson10
11-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Did a search and no luck so I'll give this a try.

My boat is a 06 197 and like other's I've seen the rear seat bottom cushion is bowed down (bent) from too much weight on it. I was able to straighten it but it's sure to go back. I never abuse the boat but when we raft up with others and big people walk on it, it bends. It really is under-engineered. There's an aluminum strut that looks to be about 1 1/4" square underneath supporting all that load.

What are you guys who've had the same issue doing? Does MC have a fix for it or do I have to engineer something?

Thanks in advance, Mike

Sodar
11-18-2008, 04:59 PM
I have never read of this happening on the newer 190/197's. It used to happen on the older 190's, but this is the first I have heard of it. No one steps on my seats, so I cannot comment. I am sure even if MC will not repair, that you can get the new honeycomb base and have your existing foam and upholstery put onto that.

ncsone
11-18-2008, 05:02 PM
I wonder if you could order more of those Al support bars from MC and add them to the bottom of the cushion. Or, just get something similar at Home Depot or Lowes and make your own. 2 or 3 along the bottom has to be better than 1.

Sodar
11-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Yeah, 2 or 3 would really stiffen it up. You would still need to strip the upholstery though, as the support bar is through-bolted, I believe.

ncsone
11-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Sodar - you are right. You would have to pull the vinyl and foam off, bolt it up and then re-stitch it all back together.

BTW, Sodar - how do you get in and out of the back of your boat if you do not step on the rear 'trunk'. Do you have people sit on it and spin around? Just curious.

Sodar
11-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Sodar - you are right. You would have to pull the vinyl and foam off, bolt it up and then re-stitch it all back together.

BTW, Sodar - how do you get in and out of the back of your boat if you do not step on the rear 'trunk'. Do you have people sit on it and spin around? Just curious.

I leave my trunk door open or have them spin on there butts and spin... It is just a known rule. I usually just leave the trunk open though, it seems like people naturally step over the seat that way.

moleson10
11-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. FYI, the bottom cushion structure is OK, just the alum strut was bent. I know I can fix it if I:

1. Replace the aluminum strut with steel or larger section aluminum. Just cut and drill to match the existing.
2. Reinforce the existing aluminum strut with U channel of some kind.

Just curious how others have dealt with it. Maybe I'm unique but I don't think so. When I was shopping for my boat I saw used ones that had the same problem. You may want to check yours. I didn't really notice it right away except that it became hard to fit the cushion back into it's low position. You know how you have to shove it in underneath the back cushion and the bottom fiberglass raised section. It started putting up quite a fight and when I looked at it, I noticed it was bent.

ncsone
11-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Good luck with your repair. I have never had that problem, but it does not surprise me. When I first got my boat, it was surprised that that bar was all that was under there for support. My flexes every now and then, but has never bent permanently.

moleson10
11-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Good luck with your repair. I have never had that problem, but it does not surprise me. When I first got my boat, it was surprised that that bar was all that was under there for support. My flexes every now and then, but has never bent permanently.

Thanks

BTW, your boat is one of my favorite TTs. I like to 07 too but the 06, not so much.

ncsone
11-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks! I lucked out and got the best color combo they made. I am a big fan of the 07 color scheme as well, but I am not sure I would trade mine for it.

EDS
11-25-2008, 10:35 PM
I solved the issue a different way. Most of the time my seat is in my garage out of the way for dedicated slalom. My boat is an X7 which has the hoses for the fat sack resting on the floor and were really in the way. So I decided to box in the entire area under the seat. It is not attached just rests in the cavity very nicely so that when the seat is removed I have a very functional step up and when the seat is installed it rests completely on the box. The box is covered in carpet. I will try to get some pic this weekend.

johny123
12-05-2008, 11:57 AM
the bench of our 2000 ps195 sags considerably when more than one person sits.

i took 3 six inch pieces of 2x8, glued them together and layed them on their side (8" side vertical) - fits perfect under the middle of the bench and supports well

low tech and slightly obtrusive, but works well