PDA

View Full Version : Battery Stars and stripes

amber 6
11-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Can anyone advise which replacement battery they have used and its rating please.

454Prostar190
11-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Can anyone advise which replacement battery they have used and its rating please.

I have an Optima Deep Cycle Marine battery in mine. I don't know the rating off hand but, I end up buying a new one every couple of years. Right around $200.

M-Funf
11-18-2008, 04:53 PM
I don't know that there are dealers for Optima batteries in Ireland.

You may need to order it somewhere else and have it shipped in to you.

I don't have an optima, and haven't had any problems with my deep cycle battery from NAPA auto parts. I'll take a look to see what the specs are next time I see the boat (soon).

ski_king
11-18-2008, 05:40 PM
My 82 came with a size 24 battery. As I remember it was the biggest that would fit in the battery box. For years I always used a standard auto battery , but couldn't get mor than 2 years out of it.

I now have a Optima Red Top, still not a deep cycle, but it has been going strong for about 5 years now.

Unless you go Optima, go with the biggest CCA one you can fit in the battery box.

TRBenj
11-19-2008, 10:28 AM
You DO NOT want to use a deep cycle battery for your starting battery. They are designed for long, slow and exhaustive discharges (like for a stereo or a trolling motor), not for short, high current draws (like that required to start a V8 engine).

Stick with a conventional automotive battery unless you have a big stereo- in which case consider a dual purpose (like the Optima D34M). I have inexpensive Everstarts in all of my inboards and get pretty decent life out of them- theyre available at Walmart for $60 and have a 3 year full replacement warranty. Sorry, I cant help on the case size (group) that you need.

Prostar Rich
11-19-2008, 11:06 AM
You DO NOT want to use a deep cycle battery for your starting battery. They are designed for long, slow and exhaustive discharges (like for a stereo or a trolling motor), not for short, high current draws (like that required to start a V8 engine).

Stick with a conventional automotive battery unless you have a big stereo- in which case consider a dual purpose (like the Optima D34M). I have inexpensive Everstarts in all of my inboards and get pretty decent life out of them- theyre available at Walmart for $60 and have a 3 year full replacement warranty. Sorry, I cant help on the case size (group) that you need.

I too have used the Everstart Marine battery from Walmart and have good luck with them. They are made by Delphi Corp.

Prostar Rich

454Prostar190
11-19-2008, 11:09 AM

So, this is why I keep buying new batteries? All that the battery does is starts my 454 as I have no stereo:(

TMCNo1
11-19-2008, 11:11 AM
I replaced ours this last spring with the size 24 in our '89, automotive cranking battery 900CCA, 3 year full replacement, 84 mos. prorated warranty.

flipper
11-19-2008, 11:20 AM
So, this is why I keep buying new batteries? All that the battery does is starts my 454 as I have no stereo:(

That's a really short life, you may consider a battery tender, or something like that. They work great, and it will pay for itself quick at that rate.

454Prostar190
11-19-2008, 11:59 AM
That's a really short life, you may consider a battery tender, or something like that. They work great, and it will pay for itself quick at that rate.

Flipper,

That's on my list for this weekend. I bought another new battery this past May and it worked last weekend but, I worry about it being totally dead, again, in the spring.
Is a battery tender something I can get at Kragens? Rick

flipper
11-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Kragan will have them some times, motorcycle shops have them, most of the time napa has them.

cbryan70
11-19-2008, 12:38 PM
You can get them at walmart

454Prostar190
11-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Thank you guys, I shall investigate! They won't allow a "Walmart" in SF or on the SF peninsula:( but, I know where a NAPA is!

'82starsandstripes
11-19-2008, 01:29 PM
454prostar, i got to know why your not allowed in walmart. there has got to be a good story behind it.

454Prostar190
11-19-2008, 02:00 PM
454prostar, i got to know why your not allowed in walmart. there has got to be a good story behind it.

I can tell a pretty good story but, this isn't one of them! Walmart isn't one of the stores that I'm not allowed in anymore:rolleyes: San Francisco is like it's own country and they make their own rules.... as they go... and have issues with businesses like Walmart setting up shop. We do have a Costco though with 3 levels of parking!

'82starsandstripes
11-19-2008, 03:35 PM
oh ok, now i understand. I thought for a second that you werent allowed in walmart. lol :D

TMCNo1
11-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Thank you guys, I shall investigate! They won't allow a "Walmart" in SF or on the SF peninsula:( but, I know where a NAPA is!

Google, "Battery Tender Plus" 43595 and here is some decent prices, http://shop.ebay.com/items/battery%20tender%20plus?_dmd=1&_sop=12

88 PS190
11-19-2008, 11:34 PM
I have had an Exide Marine Cranking battery, forget the model, in one of our boats for 6 years.

The Mastercraft came with a Sears (diehard I believe) marine cranking battery its atleast 4 years old now.

That said I don't personally feel as if a deep cycle battery is a bad thing to hve, they won't provide quite as much cranking juice, perhaps in a 454 that could become a problem, but then again,I'm not starting my boat after its been sitting outside in 4 below temperaures. Its typically started only if the air is in the high 50's or above so not the hardest engine in the world to get going.

And deep cycles do react better if you are going to run them down

454Prostar190
11-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Thanks TMC #1.... good link and I will take advantage of it!

454Prostar190
11-20-2008, 11:56 AM
I have had an Exide Marine Cranking battery, forget the model, in one of our boats for 6 years.

The Mastercraft came with a Sears (diehard I believe) marine cranking battery its atleast 4 years old now.

That said I don't personally feel as if a deep cycle battery is a bad thing to hve, they won't provide quite as much cranking juice, perhaps in a 454 that could become a problem, but then again,I'm not starting my boat after its been sitting outside in 4 below temperaures. Its typically started only if the air is in the high 50's or above so not the hardest engine in the world to get going.

And deep cycles do react better if you are going to run them down

I'm not sure what the compression on my big block is but, I do know that it doesn't like 89 octane fuel:(. It may be in the 10.5 to 1 range and needs cranking amps. The only power accessories are a couple of factory 12v cigarette lighter style outlets, running lights and my docking lights which I rarely use. I also plan on having my alternator checked and possibly rebuilt this winter. It's in a chrome case which is why I think that rebuilding it will be the most cost effective method. By the way and I must mention..... This board is awesome!

TMCNo1
11-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Thanks TMC #1.... good link and I will take advantage of it!

I've had/used one for over 10 years now, rotating it every 3 weeks between the boat, van and lawnmower batteries in the off season. The van battery is 6 years old, the battery I replace in the boat last spring was 7 years old and the battery in the John Deere is 10 years old and still working, so I swear by the Battery Tender Plus.

amber 6
11-22-2008, 05:13 AM
checked mine today it is a leisure battery with 75AH. The reason I ask is my starter stays engaged sometimes I changed the solenoid no difference and on the Skidim site it says it may be low amperage problem. Which i presume means battery so before buying just wanted to check someone elses specs or if anyone knows what Mastercraft recommend. Ta

454Prostar190
11-24-2008, 01:57 PM
So, I took my battery to Kragens, the local auto parts store, to have a fresh charge put on it and asked about a "Battery Tender". The guy was trying to sell me a "trickle charger", like a 1 amp or something. I didn't think that this is what I wanted and bought nothing. My question is.... Should whatever I buy say "Tender" on it? If so.... I'll make other arrangements. Thanks, Rick

cbryan70
11-24-2008, 02:28 PM
I beleive so, the tender will turn on and off when the battery needs it the trickle charge will always charge i beleive.

TMCNo1
11-24-2008, 03:59 PM
The generic word, would be "Maintainer", here are some also, http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=battery+maintainer&ei=UTF-8&fr=ond_moz_off

TMCNo1
11-24-2008, 04:03 PM
So, I took my battery to Kragens, the local auto parts store, to have a fresh charge put on it and asked about a "Battery Tender". The guy was trying to sell me a "trickle charger", like a 1 amp or something. I didn't think that this is what I wanted and bought nothing. My question is.... Should whatever I buy say "Tender" on it? If so.... I'll make other arrangements. Thanks, Rick

They should have one or more brands of "maintainers" on the shelf along with the chargers/trickle chargers. Remember a lot of these parts people aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer to start with and have probably never bought anything more expensive than a $5 junk yard battery in their life!

Monte
11-24-2008, 04:06 PM
They should have one or more brands of "maintainers" on the shelf along with the chargers/trickle chargers. Remember a lot of these parts people aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer to start with and have probably never bought anything more expensive than a $5 junk yard battery in their life!

Wait? I can get batteries at the junk yard for 5 bucks???

TMCNo1
11-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Wait? I can get batteries at the junk yard for 5 bucks???

Do you work at the auto parts store part time too?

Monte
11-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Do you work at the auto parts store part time too?

No.. But I am all about a $5 battery. I rigged my kids power wheels to run off lawn mower batteries. They will solid move now;) Sad thing is, they wear down really quick 6 or seven hours worth of use and the battery is done. recharging them is futile:(

454Prostar190
11-24-2008, 05:28 PM

Thanks, and I took into consideration the competence of the salesman:(, that's when I decided yesterday to ask this question here and get the serious and real information!!!:rolleyes:
I'm glad I didn't buy what he was trying to sell me because, you're right, he didn't have a clue!

Ubugme2
11-24-2008, 07:31 PM
I run a yellow top Optima and i had to charge it every week or two before going to the lake. I installed a Perko switch and a 2nd automotive battery from Auto Zone as a starting battery. I still charge it every so offten but I dont have to worry about dead batteries on the lake now after running my radio. Good investment!

amber 6
12-01-2008, 06:14 AM
Could someone advise what cold cranking amps are needed or what the battery they are using has. Does it have to be 750 or more?

TMCNo1
12-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Did, post #8

454Prostar190
12-01-2008, 11:29 AM
So, I had dropped my battery off at Kragen's on a Sunday afternoon for a charge (it was new in May) and was told that they would give me a call. Thanksgiving week/weekend and all... I got busy and went back to get my battery on the following Saturday. They couldn't find it and said that it probably went out with all of the bad batteries:(. This girl was helping me this time and seemed like she had a clue as to what she was doing, apologized for losing my battery, gave me a brand new one:D and when I asked her about a battery "maintainer", she took me right over, got one off of the shelf and I was good to go! Now..... when should I hook up the "maintainer" to my brand new Optima? Should I wait?

amber 6
12-01-2008, 11:33 AM
sorry TMCNO1 you sure did.
thank you

Gamble
12-06-2008, 10:01 PM
454, I'd hook it up now.........maintainers are slow to charge, so waiting til it's dead or even more discharged, will take it a while to charge.........just hook it up now, won't hurt a thing.

454Prostar190
12-16-2008, 01:12 PM
454, I'd hook it up now.........maintainers are slow to charge, so waiting til it's dead or even more discharged, will take it a while to charge.........just hook it up now, won't hurt a thing.

Will do.... The boat's put away but, I'll hook it up. Thanks

CameronCarey
12-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Let me throw my two cents in ..........from 6 years of working in a boat store and quizzing the Exide engineers repeatedly to understand marine battery failure.

Here is how they work http://www.vonwentzel.net/Battery/00.Glossary/index.html for you technical types...

Here is the summary from my experience...

Basically the two killers of marine batteries are:

sitting discharged: where all of the material that should be plated back on the battery ends up clumped up in the bottom of the battery case and cant be re diluted in the acid solution when recharged.

The other is when batteries get shaken up when partially discharged....which causes a similar condition to the first but in places other than the bottom of the battery case.

In ski boats its unlikely that your battery is getting shaken up allot ...........if its very rough our boats tend to stay on the trailer/lift/tied to the dock. (for offshore boats this is a killer)

The optima batteries are perfect for offshore boats for the second reason.

Optima batteries are great for ski boats for an entirely different reason...... because they are sealed..........typical marine batteries are not sealed ........deep cycle and dual purpose batteries rarely are and if they are..........its not a good thing..... I think there may be a Coast Guard Federal Regulation about sealed conventional lead acid batteries in boats.... I'm sure someone will tell me if there is...

but the life of the Optima shouldn't be drastically different from what you would see in a typical marine battery if properly taken care of ..........(although they do claim to be better ad tolerating the prolonged discharge)

In Short

If you want a battery to last to its full potential keep it charged all the time by, using an alternator that can keep up with your radio, amplifier, bilge pumps, fat sack filler, fish finder and margarita machine and when its sitting use a battery maintainer.

And Release.........I feel better now.

Cloaked
01-11-2009, 06:52 PM
............In Short

If you want a battery to last to its full potential keep it charged all the time by, using an alternator that can keep up with your radio, amplifier, bilge pumps, fat sack filler, fish finder and margarita machine and when its sitting use a battery maintainer.

And Release.........I feel better now.Even shorter:

Let someone else tend your battery to peak performance.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-del-021-0128.html

Gamble
02-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Cloak...........that looks like a pretty neat tender, seeing as you can hook up batts in a series on 1 charger. Do you currently own one and if so, how do you like it?

Cloaked
02-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Cloak...........that looks like a pretty neat tender, seeing as you can hook up batts in a series on 1 charger. Do you currently own one and if so, how do you like it?I currently have 7 in my garage. They can indeed be wired in series but that is where the 4 bank unit is nice. After a certain number of batteries, the single unit can only effectively monitor so many batteries. Two batteries in a series works fine on the truck.

Boat
3 tractors - 1 for each
jet ski
truck (2 batteries in series on one Tender)
and a spare battery sitting loose

The best $45 (each) of peace of mind in my garage. I wouldn't do without them, especially in the boat and for my truck (which doesn't get driven daily). I don't worry about any of my batteries, at any time, for much of any reason.

Gamble
02-02-2009, 10:30 PM
cool thanks! I'm gonna order one tender and use it on the 2 batts in my boat. It's in a covered stall w/power, so I'm assuming it'd be o.k. to just plug it in and leave it. The batts are under the seat, and there's a cover over the entire boat............that should still be o.k. shouldn't it? It wouldn't think I'd need to vent it due to that just being a tender.......what do ya think?

Cloaked
02-05-2009, 08:47 PM
cool thanks! I'm gonna order one tender and use it on the 2 batts in my boat. It's in a covered stall w/power, so I'm assuming it'd be o.k. to just plug it in and leave it. The batts are under the seat, and there's a cover over the entire boat............that should still be o.k. shouldn't it? It wouldn't think I'd need to vent it due to that just being a tender.......what do ya think?
That will work just fine.

Also look at the other gadgets they have to mount inside a drywell on a boat. Either one will serve the same purpose. I leave mine plugged in the wall socket around the clock. If I unhook the charger connection from the pigtail on the battery, I just leave it in place, plugged in and come back to it later. I will suggest buying the very inexpensive 25' extension cord with each one. That will allow you to route overhead without having to step over or duck under the shorter cord. Just a very inexpensive convenience.

east tx skier
02-05-2009, 09:05 PM

I had owned my Delco marine battery for nearly 5 years and going strong when I sold my boat in 07. Never put a charge on it until the last winter of ownership when I finally got a battery maintainer. Would've bought another one if I could've found the right size for my under the floor battery box in the new boat that also had the extra posts for the amps.