PDA

View Full Version : Pickwick Lake

bbymgr
11-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Anyone ever been on Pickwick Lake? How is it for skiing or wakeboarding? Crowded? I'm looking at a vacation home for an investment on this lake in Tennessee on the north shore.

bbymgr
11-18-2008, 10:06 AM
Anybody.......Bueller..........Bueller.

wakeX2wake
11-18-2008, 11:07 AM
as far as pickwick itself goes for skiing and wakeboarding... its terrible

now if you get to the tenn-tom waterway there's a pretty good chance i'll see you there... it's honestly INSANE... SOOOOO many wakeboats and yet the water stays good... and the craziest thing... is there may be 30-60 wakeboats there on weekends... it's awesome everybody has plenty of good water to ride and plenty to see and do as well... ran into tino santori riding there w/ the local tige dealership last summer along w/ Cathy Williams who did a couple of clinics there as well

tenn-tom is directly accessible from pickwick... not exactly sure how though... we put in by the dam and stayed around there for a bit to do a slider competition then took out and ate lunch and put back in at the tenn-tom... i stay on the other end of pickwick lake in the shoals area we just went over a few times b/c of the crowd and wanted to see if there was anyone up there who could ride... haha decided there WAS indeed someone there when tino threw a ginormous 313 off the bow of my buddys boat... we all about croaked... it was massive

wakeX2wake
11-18-2008, 11:09 AM
is the property going to be close to the town of pickwick or where? i can possibly tell you more... a LOT of MCs on the tenn-tom by the way... we went one really nice saturday and me and my buddy (who has an 02 x9 that's for sale) accounted for every model in the x-series line... including 3 x-80s

bbymgr
11-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Here is a link to the house.http:////lakehouse.com/page-45289.html From there you can map it's exact location, but it is clear up by the Pickwick Dam, and from what you say, that isn't a good area to be in. Do you have any specific geographical locations that you would suggest? When you say "shoals", do you mean Muscle Shoals? How is the Florence area?

wakeX2wake
11-18-2008, 02:26 PM
honestly the florence and shoals area is small but everything is here... good shopping and all that and restaurants galore... awesome area that's safe and has a good bit of civic stuff going on through out the yr

about the savannah pickwick area where the property is located... now i mean you're not going to want to just jump out there and throw down wakeboarding or skiing by the dam or anything but some of the slues off the main lake are not too bad from what i hear... if you scroll south on the map and see pickwick lake... that's where you go to gain access to the water way where the riding is incredible... most fun location we go to all yr IMO(b/c of the boats to check out and there's not just a ton of ridiculous riders there but there's a few that can kill it)... to give you an idea... it's butter water from hwy 25 to 72 and that'll take you a good 30- 45 mins of straight riding at wakeboarding speeds... haha needless to say we ain't ever made the whole length of that stretch w/o falling

bbymgr
11-18-2008, 02:44 PM
What is your opinion of this area? http://lakehouse.com/page-47898.html

wakeX2wake
11-18-2008, 02:58 PM
i like it fairly well... Rogersville isn't known to be a super upscale area but that house looks sweet... there are some REALLY nice well done neighborhoods in that direction... wilson lake is good... again good riding in the slues off the main body... i'm partial to the barge canal on the lower side of the dam but that's me... lots a big boats and good folks on topside (as its called here)... few really good golf courses in the area... it's just a jump from Florence that will have all the amenities from home as far as eating out, bars, stores etc etc... what ever you're into

Eagle Lake Rebel
11-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Why don't you take a look at Smith Lake. Not much further south than Pickwick and you can just about always find glass. I used to get up to Smith a lot but haven't the last two summers due to low water levels or high fuel prices or a combo of both. I hope next summer things get back to normal and I can get back to one of my favorite lakes in the South.

bbymgr
11-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Why don't you take a look at Smith Lake. Not much further south than Pickwick and you can just about always find glass. I used to get up to Smith a lot but haven't the last two summers due to low water levels or high fuel prices or a combo of both. I hope next summer things get back to normal and I can get back to one of my favorite lakes in the South.

I actually looked at this lake, but I was trying to stay away from land locked lakes because they seem to be more prone to low levels from drought.

Eagle Lake Rebel
11-18-2008, 11:04 PM
Normally Smith is a safe bet for good water level in the summer, but '07 was very bad. I think things were back to normal this year which is quite a comeback from 20' below normal. There are some Teamtalkers that are Smith lake regulars that can provide you with much more info than I can.

uncleboo
11-19-2008, 02:05 AM
If you are looking at TN I would check out Tim's Ford. There is a lot of property/houses for sale with private docks--the western area (lynchburg, tn) is less crowded than the eastern part (Winchester, TN). Water levels have been pretty constant and it is a relatively deep lake. Center Hill (Smithville, TN) is also a favorite, but you don't have personal docks.

bbymgr
11-19-2008, 07:35 AM
If you are looking at TN I would check out Tim's Ford. There is a lot of property/houses for sale with private docks--the western area (lynchburg, tn) is less crowded than the eastern part (Winchester, TN). Water levels have been pretty constant and it is a relatively deep lake. Center Hill (Smithville, TN) is also a favorite, but you don't have personal docks.

Thanks! I'll take a look at Tim's Ford. Center Hill wouldn't work, I definitely want my own dock.

Jesus_Freak
11-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks! I'll take a look at Tim's Ford. Center Hill wouldn't work, I definitely want my own dock.

And remember, Tim's Ford is extra cool because of the INT event that occurs there every year. :) http://www.intleague.com/tennessee/event-schedule/

wakeX2wake
11-19-2008, 12:33 PM
and Tim's Ford is just a hop away from Rambo Marine... one of the top MC dealers in the country... and Lewis Smith Lake Rambo would be on your way... kind of

Jesus_Freak
11-19-2008, 12:37 PM
and Tim's Ford is just a hop away from Rambo Marine... one of the top MC dealers in the country... and Lewis Smith Lake Rambo would be on your way... kind of

Is that the same as "Rambo's Pond"?

wakeX2wake
11-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Is that the same as "Rambo's Pond"?

negative... Rambo has their own private competition lake... sweet set-up for sure...

Jesus_Freak
11-19-2008, 12:39 PM
negative... Rambo has their own private competition lake... sweet set-up for sure...

Yes, I have skied it, just didnt know if it was the same thing. Thanks.

rspiecha
11-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Here is a picture of Bear Creek, which is off of the main channel in the pickwick area. Best boating is before 10 AM and after 6 PM.

Picture #1 Bear Creek at Pickwick (http://www.memphiszclub.com/graphics/Pickwick/IMG_0020.jpg)

Picture #2 Bear Creek at Pickwick (http://www.memphiszclub.com/graphics/Pickwick/IMG_0022.jpg)