PDA

View Full Version : newbie with a lot of questions

xstarplease
11-17-2008, 07:29 PM
I have been looking around on the site for a couple months and finally decided to dive in with some questions. The amount of knowledge on this forum is quite impressive. I am in the market for a boat after the first of the year. I have tried to do a lot of research to make an informed decision. I really like the 03 and newer X Stars, but they are out of my price range. I need to keep it under $25,000.

I really have my eye on 1 of 4 boats. Really, I suppose they are 2 boats packaged a little differently. Here they are: 2002-2004 197/X7 and 209/X9. I don't think I will be able to go newer than 04 and stay in my price range. I have been looking on Craigslist, eBay, and boattrader. There seems to be some boats that fit my criteria in my price range. My questions are as follows:

1) How long has Mastercraft been putting the mini-towers on the ProStars? I really like that look. If I could find either a 197/209 with a mini-tower in my price range, that would be my boat.

2) Is my price range realistic? I have seriously considered a 82-85 S&S, but I really want a more modern boat. I already have an old car to play with. I really don't want to tinker with an older boat.

I have been a skier since I was 5 years old. While skiiing will be done behind the boat, I really want to get into wakeboarding. I know any of the above mentioned boats will be fine for a beginner wakeboarding. The main use of the boat will be going out on the lake with friends, listening to music, and doing some recreational skiing and boarding. Thanks in advance to anyone that cares to chip in.

SkiDog
11-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Where in the SE are you located? Jim@ BAWS may be able to help you if you're anywhere near Fla.

JohnE
11-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Given your wish list, I'd look for either an older X2 or (pointy bow) or any of it's predecessors or the 209/ X9. An X7/ 197 is too small for the hanging out you are describing. That boat is for serious slalom, IMO. Using it for other activities can be done, but almost anything else does it better. I had an '05 197. And the mini tower is nice looking, but all your guests will smash their heads at least once. Mitch here from the forum almost dented my tower with his head.:D

Good luck with your search.

coz
11-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Where in the SE are you located? Jim@ BAWS may be able to help you if you're anywhere near Fla.

Looks like he has a 2003 x-9 available at around 29k nice looking boat and I like the color http://www.bayareawatersports.com/searchengine/Details.aspx?diid=1830591&bvdid=3121&type=AN&indid=1&sortCol=Length&sortDir=DESC&page=3&#

Chicago190
11-17-2008, 08:00 PM
You may want to consider a late 90s 205 of 205v. Better hull for wakeboarding and if you look hard enough in this economy you should be able to find one in your price range.

xstarplease
11-17-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm in Arkansas, so Florida would be a long haul. I'm not sure why my profile even says southeast. JohnE, thanks for the tip on the mini-tower. I'm
6'1" and don't want to deal with that. I was hoping I could get a nice deal on a boat considering the economy. I could go to $30,000, but not a dollar over that. I think the x9 is looking like the best option. I do think I would like the extra room it offers over the x7. Hopefully I can be really shop around over the next 3 months and score a 2001-2003 X9 for a good price.

xstarplease
11-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Is 2005 when the X9 changed tower styles?

skihard111
11-17-2008, 10:44 PM
I have a 2003 209 SD and love it. There is some banter on here about it not being a ski boat. I know for a fact that this boat skis great at 32 off/34-36mph. It deals with big water very well. It holds a good crowd and plenty of gear. 197 is obviously a better ski boat, but for a very narrow application.....calm waters only. I hear 214 is a great wake, but you gotta borrow another 20k...or wait a little while for a soft handed overspent stock broker to bail out on his recent purchase. Any other questions let me know.

ttu
11-18-2008, 09:01 AM
here is a 01 205v in wichita.

http://www.boattrader.com/find/listing/2001-MASTERCRAFT-PS205V-92877568

wakeX2wake
11-18-2008, 09:15 AM
THIS BOAT (http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=531298) is a good friend of mine's... nothing wrong w/ the boat other than a few very minor interior things... loudest boat on the water around here... VERY well maintained engine and all and if there was ever a guy who could bring a crowd to the water it was joe... ps if you come to see it tell him to man up and ride... he's a really impressive rider

ps everyone who wakeboards wants the star but i came to the realization that outside of hucking massive double ups... you can do everything behind a more cost effective boat (x9, x7, x2, x1) you can behind a star if you develop fundamental riding skills

xstarplease
11-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the link wakeX2wake.

I have another question for everyone. I'm a car guy. I have always been one. I really don't know how to judge hours on a boat. I know what kind of condition a car should be in with 75,000miles, for example. I don't, however, have a clue what 700 hours means on a boat. How much life is expected out of a Mastercraft? I don't like to buy cars with more than 100,000 miles for any reason. Would rather buy with under 50,000. How does that compare to a boat? I could take an average speed and do some math to get car engine hours as compared to car mileage, but I would suspect that would be like comparing apples and oranges due to the nature of use between the two.

wakeX2wake
11-18-2008, 02:08 PM
hard to say here... you don't want to buy a 92 w/ 100 hrs on it nor do you want to buy an 08 w/ 500...

most people here will tell you that anywhere from 50 to 150 hrs average per yr is a safe range... a MC is made to be used... i'd personally rather buy a boat that's averaged that type of use than one thats ridiculously low or extremely high... keeping in mind w/ proper care there's nothing to say that 1000 hrs on a MC motor shouldn't be easily attainable as long as the rest of the boat it kept up

FrankSchwab
11-18-2008, 02:28 PM
As a casual observer of this list for several years, the analogy that seems to pop up between boat hours and car miles is about 1:100 - i.e. 1000 hours on the motor means about the same as 100,000 miles on a car. You'll hear a number of the members with older boats who have 2000 hours or more on their engine and have done nothing more than tune-ups and oil changes.

Just like a car, this is approximate - 100,000 miles put on a car by a 16 year old who does dumb things and may not maintain it well is different than 100,000 miles by a wealthy, middle-aged engineer who takes it back to the dealer every 3,000 miles for an oil change.

The hours don't tend to pile up as quickly on a boat as miles do on a car. I'm guessing that wakeX2wake's lowest estimate is probably about average for most boats - around 50 hours per year, with a very wide spread.

moleson10
11-18-2008, 02:34 PM
X9 is probably a good choice for you if you can find one. They didn't sell real well. But since their rep as a slalom boat is not too good, the resale is lower. I hear they make good wakeboard boats and I like the look. Can't tell it from a 197 at a distance.

wakeX2wake
11-18-2008, 02:35 PM
The hours don't tend to pile up as quickly on a boat as miles do on a car. I'm guessing that wakeX2wake's lowest estimate is probably about average for most boats - around 50 hours per year, with a very wide spread.

i said the 150 to make myself feel better b/c i was splitting boat time w/ a friend this yr and still stacked 160 on mine

JMann
11-18-2008, 06:53 PM
I picked up an older PS190 this summer. When I was asking around the dealer told me I could expect 1200 - 1500 hours out of an engine and tranny before any major work was needed. As long as it was well maintained.

xstarplease
11-19-2008, 11:28 AM
I've further narrowed by wish list down. I'm almost 100% on the X9. I have seen a couple 03 models in mediterranean blue that I love. Again, I'm not going to be ready to buy until after the first of the year, so I hope they are available then. I could also go for red one, but the blue has me. Does anyone know if you could get the blue in 01 or 02? I haven't seen any blue ones older than 03. Also, what can a person plan to spend on insurance a year for a $30,000 boat? I'm just looking for a ballpark figure.

TMCNo1
11-19-2008, 11:40 AM
I've further narrowed by wish list down. I'm almost 100% on the X9. I have seen a couple 03 models in mediterranean blue that I love. Again, I'm not going to be ready to buy until after the first of the year, so I hope they are available then. I could also go for red one, but the blue has me. Does anyone know if you could get the blue in 01 or 02? I haven't seen any blue ones older than 03. Also, what can a person plan to spend on insurance a year for a $30,000 boat? I'm just looking for a ballpark figure.

You'll need to shop around, while you have the time before spring, don't wait till the last minute. Rates vary from company to company, different coverages, replacement value, layup period if any, etc. there are so many variables. Ski Safe, 1-800-225-6560 is a good place to start, IMO.

C36
11-19-2008, 11:49 PM

2001 MasterCraft brochure shows X-9 was available in "Monterey Blue" (see image below)

2002 MasterCraft brochure (which can be viewed by clicking here (http://www.mediafire.com/?9lwk1dzndec) - see page 54) also shows X-9 was available in "Montery Blue"

xstarplease
11-20-2008, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the link C36. Any idea if monterey blue is the same color as mediterranean blue? I know GM often changes color names without changing the color much (if any). Does MC do the same?

viking91
11-20-2008, 12:15 AM
I just got a '05 X-2 this year and I love it. An '03 or '04 might be in that price range. It is a very versatile boat - great for both the skiing and wakeboarding. Another thing to consider is the length (if you can get a trailer with a swing-away tongue and take off the swimstep you might even be able to store it in the garage and save $100/month ($1200/yr) - some people forget to put that in their budget.

C36
11-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the link C36. Any idea if monterey blue is the same color as mediterranean blue? I know GM often changes color names without changing the color much (if any). Does MC do the same?

They look different to my eye (based on pictures I have seen) - Mediterranean looks brighter and Monterey looks darker to me - here are a couple of examples:

Mediterranean (http://www.mastercraftaz.com/preowned/boat_detail.php?boat=116)

Monterey (http://www.mastercraftaz.com/preowned/boat_detail.php?boat=92)
Monterey Blue - 2000 PS 190 (reverse) (http://www.mastercraftnz.co.nz/2000ps190.html)

Yellow X9
11-20-2008, 08:36 PM
I have an 05 X9, Yellow & White, 350hrs, well maintain, can't complain other than the wake for surfing with the 2 ballast bags. Other than additional sacks would cure that problem, boat gets plenty of complements and dose everthing I need it to do.

I think you'd be happy with it.....

xstarplease
11-20-2008, 11:59 PM
I agree with you C36. The monterey blue looks substantially darker. Is your boat for sale yellow X9 or were you just giving me pros and cons? Mostly pros of course! Sounds like a sharp one. Probably out of my price range even if it is for sale.

Yellow X9
11-21-2008, 06:54 PM
I agree with you C36. The monterey blue looks substantially darker. Is your boat for sale yellow X9 or were you just giving me pros and cons? Mostly pros of course! Sounds like a sharp one. Probably out of my price range even if it is for sale.

Nah, not for sale. Have always liked the look of this style hull. Just giving some proops to the X9 for ya. Love mine. Only thing to watch out for, at low speeds, watch out for on-comming wakes of size, or up and over the bow they will come. Mine is pretty loaded;

Fusion Tower sprks 4 pr
Tower lights front and rear
Ballast sacks
Perfect Pass
3 Jl Amps
2 JW 10W 1's
Sirius Satalite radio
2 xtra 250lbs removeable sacks, with this addition my wake hangs with my friends 07 X2

JohnE
11-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Also, what can a person plan to spend on insurance a year for a $30,000 boat? I'm just looking for a ballpark figure.

Insurance for my '08 X14 is $500 a year rounded off from ski safe.

xstarplease
12-16-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm back with some more questions. My boat search has continued, and I have ran across what seems like a great deal. It is a late model, low hour MC that is loaded up with options. I called the owner (marine dealer), and he said it was a bank repossession. Is that a strike against the boat? He said it is in absolute perfect condition other than 5 very small scratches in the gelcoat on the driver's side. It is going to be a fairly long drive for me to check the boat out. I wanted to see what you all thought about the boat before I made the drive. Is there anything I need to know about bank repossessions? Title problems, value loss, etc... I know the condition is the main thing that is compromised in bank repos. If that isn't a factor, are there others? I want to be completely educated before the boat is in my ownership. I have learned so much about MCs in general on this board in the past 6 months. It is such a great asset. I hope to be joining the family for real in the next few months. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Maristar210
12-16-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm back with some more questions. My boat search has continued, and I have ran across what seems like a great deal. It is a late model, low hour MC that is loaded up with options. I called the owner (marine dealer), and he said it was a bank repossession. Is that a strike against the boat? He said it is in absolute perfect condition other than 5 very small scratches in the gelcoat on the driver's side. It is going to be a fairly long drive for me to check the boat out. I wanted to see what you all thought about the boat before I made the drive. Is there anything I need to know about bank repossessions? Title problems, value loss, etc... I know the condition is the main thing that is compromised in bank repos. If that isn't a factor, are there others? I want to be completely educated before the boat is in my ownership. I have learned so much about MCs in general on this board in the past 6 months. It is such a great asset. I hope to be joining the family for real in the next few months. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Sometimes repo's boats are abused or stripped of valubles like stereo components or even the tower. If it looks like its been neglected or abused in any way I would pass but if it doesnt then you may have found yourself a bargain.

Good Luck.

ttu
12-16-2008, 12:52 PM
my 1st inboard was a bank repo. the previous owners took the tower off along with the stereo head unit.

dealer installed a newer design tower and replaced the stereo. over all the boat was in great shape.

put over 180 hrs on it and sold it for $3K more than i paid for it.

2RLAKE
12-16-2008, 12:56 PM
2005 was the year for the new tower... here is the '05 photo boat that i had for a couple of years ... terrific boat and the new owners absolutely love it

russlars
12-16-2008, 01:16 PM
A couple suggestions. 1)Post a link to the ad for the boat so we can check it out. 2)If the boat is a long ways away from you consider asking a TT member that lives in the vicinity to go by and check it out for you first.

xstarplease
12-16-2008, 01:36 PM
A couple suggestions. 1)Post a link to the ad for the boat so we can check it out. 2)If the boat is a long ways away from you consider asking a TT member that lives in the vicinity to go by and check it out for you first.

I will be completely honest with you; I am a little scared to do that. I'm afraid some random person running through the threads will see it and go buy it out from under me. I'm not referring to people contributing to this thread, but possibly someone that isn't even a member. Am I being too paranoid? Please tell me if I am. It isn't an unbelievably good deal, but it's pretty dang close.

russlars
12-16-2008, 02:21 PM
I will be completely honest with you; I am a little scared to do that. I'm afraid some random person running through the threads will see it and go buy it out from under me. I'm not referring to people contributing to this thread, but possibly someone that isn't even a member. Am I being too paranoid? Please tell me if I am. It isn't an unbelievably good deal, but it's pretty dang close.
I fully understand your concern, especially if it is that good of deal. Just remember the old adage, if it seems to good to be true, it probably is!:) One thing you might consider is posting the general vicinity of the boat and if some "upstanding" member offers up their services just PM them directly with all of the specifics rather than posting it for all to see.
It is always good to have another set of eyes check it out anyway, that way the emotions don't get in the way and they can see it for what it really is. Just my :twocents:

xstarplease
12-16-2008, 02:30 PM
I fully understand your concern, especially if it is that good of deal. Just remember the old adage, if it seems to good to be true, it probably is!:) One thing you might consider is posting the general vicinity of the boat and if some "upstanding" member offers up their services just PM them directly with all of the specifics rather than posting it for all to see.
It is always good to have another set of eyes check it out anyway, that way the emotions don't get in the way and they can see it for what it really is. Just my :twocents:

I hear ya russlars. I would definitely say that old adage rings true more than not. I think/hope this boat is a result of two things: 1) dealer bought it cheap due to being a bank repo and 2) the economy sucks. I hope that is the reason for the good price, and it isn't because it's a crummy stripped bank repo. I want to make sure the funds are secure before I bother someone with checking it out for me, but I do appreciate the advice. I think that is a great idea. When I talked to the dealer, I told him I was 4-6 weeks away from having cash in hand. It may be gone by then. I have my fingers crossed...

xstarplease
12-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Well...... I just put a deposit down on the first right to refusal on what is going to be my first Mastercraft ever. 2006 X-9 loaded with 8.5 hours. Anyone in the Martin, Georgia area that could look it over for me before I make the 10+ hour drive? I'm considering having the warranty transferred. Do you guys recommend that?

ttu
12-18-2008, 02:25 PM
8.5 hrs. why in the heck would anyone even buy a boat if that is all you are going to use it.

congrats and enjoy.

No Skeez
12-18-2008, 02:28 PM
I'm considering having the warranty transferred. Do you guys recommend that?

Depends on when the warranty started. If it was new in May of '06, that only gets you through May of '09. Check that out.

Congrats, glad it's working out for you!

russlars
12-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Sounds like a great find xstarplease. Congratulations and I hope it all works out for you. You know it's going to kill you to just sit and look at it until good weather comes!:D

xstarplease
01-02-2009, 06:14 PM
I got cold feet on the X9. I thought it would be a more financially sound decision for me to go the S&S route. The one on eBay right now looks like a great boat. We'll see... Anyone interested in the boat I turned down, it appears to be a great deal also. You can find it here. http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2006-MASTERCRAFT-X9-94149647

atlfootr
01-02-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm in Arkansas, so Florida would be a long haul. Try Skeeter and Crew alittle closer to home @ http://www.rambomarine.com/

ShamrockIV
01-02-2009, 07:23 PM
i got a 209 with tower i will part with for the right money!!!!

xstarplease
01-17-2009, 02:28 PM
I didn't update everyone on this thread a couple weeks back, but I bought my first Mastercraft. You can see it here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=150318325795.

I'm pretty excited about working on it. Step number 1 is a thorough buff job. Step number 2 is redoing the upholstery. I have two questions about that. I have noticed that most of the stars and stripes have the stripes across the engine cover. I have never seen a rootbeer metallic Stars and Stripes with this pattern though. Did some of them come with brown stripes across the engine cover? I have searched everything I can think of on here, but haven't found anyone that has the patterns to cut out vinyl that looks like the the original patterns. I would appreciate any connections anyone might have on buying those. I'm also going to restore the dash area before this summer season. I will probably rebuild the motor next winter and squeeze a few more ponies out of it. I'm a big Camaro guy, so working on a Ford is going to be a new experience for me. Here is link to my last summer/current project for any car guys out there. http://pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44050

corey
01-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Congrats on the new boat!!!

A company like FastSigns can cut the new vynel for you depeding on how the color comes back you might want the decals to be just a hair larger than the original to cover any fade lines.

xstarplease
01-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Congrats on the new boat!!!

A company like FastSigns can cut the new vynel for you depeding on how the color comes back you might want the decals to be just a hair larger than the original to cover any fade lines.

I was talking about the vinyl for the interior. Sorry if that wasn't very clear.

corey
01-17-2009, 04:35 PM
My bad I didnt look at the interior pics, I was thinking your boat had one of the fiberglass engine box covers with vynel stars running down the length.

Sorry no help on upholstry unless you want to bring the boat to MN, then I know some peeps. Most good auto upholstry shops should be able to fab and install the pieces for you.