PDA

View Full Version : metal gas line question

SPLIFF
11-17-2008, 01:03 PM
i have a 95 prostar my question is can i replace the metal gas line with a rubber one?

JimN
11-17-2008, 01:19 PM
No. What happened to your original line?

Using rubber lines would require some kind of connector to the pump and throttle body that's made specifically to hold a rubber line, which is not available, AFAIK. Using a metal line, cutting it short and attaching the rubber line with a hose clamp is asking for trouble and with 30lb of pressure, is very dangerous. You may be able to have something made up but it will probably be more expensive.

SPLIFF
11-17-2008, 02:30 PM
No. What happened to your original line?

Using rubber lines would require some kind of connector to the pump and throttle body that's made specifically to hold a rubber line, which is not available, AFAIK. Using a metal line, cutting it short and attaching the rubber line with a hose clamp is asking for trouble and with 30lb of pressure, is very dangerous. You may be able to have something made up but it will probably be more expensive.
the original line was bent when i was trying to take the fuel pump and fuel filter out i should have let a professional do it ,but in my defense it sure was in a bind when it was original i thought it would be easier to work with if they were rubber lines. thanks jimN for your help.

Skipper
11-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Hey brother, I have a '95 Prostar which had a similar problem. When I replaced the filter, the lines were not aligned in such a manner that I could just screw on the new filter. I used a tubing bender to adjust some of the angles on the line between the filter and TBI. That was good enough for a quick fix.

I plan to build a new metal line starting with a standard line. But it has to be metal because it is under pressure.

If you don't want to build your own, you should be able to get one from an MC shop.

SPLIFF
11-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Hey brother, I have a '95 Prostar which had a similar problem. When I replaced the filter, the lines were not aligned in such a manner that I could just screw on the new filter. I used a tubing bender to adjust some of the angles on the line between the filter and TBI. That was good enough for a quick fix.

I plan to build a new metal line starting with a standard line. But it has to be metal because it is under pressure.

If you don't want to build your own, you should be able to get one from an MC shop.
thaks Skipper I will give that a try if not i will order them

stuartmcnair
11-17-2008, 06:10 PM
I replaced mine with a briaded stainless line with AN fittings and it works great. Looks better too.

JimN
11-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Why not go to NAPA, Checker, etc and buy a section of the correct length, bend it up and put it in? I may be wrong but if the Coast Guard inspects and finds flexible line after that fuel pump, it'll fail.

TCrate
11-17-2008, 11:00 PM
You can order a specially bent stainless tube from Inline tube. They made a line for me when I changed carburetors. Worked out pretty well. I bent a hanger sent it to them and they made a tube to match the bends on the hanger with the standard flared fittings on the end.

INLINETUBE.COM

Be careful with rubber hoses on a boat.

JimN
11-17-2008, 11:35 PM
The injected motors don't have a simple flared end- they use the double O ring, like GM cars and trucks. It's still available and can be bought easily.