PDA

View Full Version : Wires to solenoid/battery amperage

amber 6
11-17-2008, 05:56 AM
Folks
Can anyone let me know how many wires are going to their solenoid.

83 Stars and stripes.

The ones from the battery and going on out to the starter I understand.

However I have one wire to the S terminal and then one to the I terminal but by a wiring diagram (86) model there is no wire to the I terminal could some one check thries please.

What amperage should the battery be as I intend to check mine and purchase a new one if required.
Ta

TMCNo1
11-17-2008, 07:36 AM
This should help,

[quote] TRBenj (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=4253)
TT Enthusiast
That is correct. PCM did not utilize the I terminal on the solenoid like Indmar did. The S terminal is the one that energizes the relay (connects the battery to the starter) via the ignition switch. The I terminal is of the same logic as the post that runs to the battery- Indmar runs a wire from this terminal to the + side of the coil. This gives you a full 12V when cranking, as opposed to the ~9V that the ignition normally runs on (assuming the ballast resistor is being utilized, like in the stock points setup). Running this extra wire should not be necessary (PCM would have utilized it if it were) but if your engine starts hard, this may improve it. I havent used it in any of my older points boats, but theyre generally in a pretty good state of tune.

TMCno1, thanks again for posting that schematic and giving no credit to the author. In the future, you may want to point out that it is a 1983-1990 PCM Ford specific diagram and should be used only as a loose reference for all other marinization packages. I know that it is accurate for Correct Crafts, and it is possible that MC could have made other wiring changes that may not be captured in the schematic.[quote]

amber 6
11-17-2008, 10:50 AM
yes from the diagram and it shows one wire to the S and none to the I just wondering if someone could check a Stars and Stripes to confirm this.

TRBenj
11-18-2008, 10:05 AM
yes from the diagram and it shows one wire to the S and none to the I just wondering if someone could check a Stars and Stripes to confirm this.
That is correct. PCM did not utilize the I terminal on the solenoid like Indmar did. The S terminal is the one that energizes the relay (connects the battery to the starter) via the ignition switch. The I terminal is of the same logic as the post that runs to the battery- Indmar runs a wire from this terminal to the + side of the coil. This gives you a full 12V when cranking, as opposed to the ~9V that the ignition normally runs on (assuming the ballast resistor is being utilized, like in the stock points setup). Running this extra wire should not be necessary (PCM would have utilized it if it were) but if your engine starts hard, this may improve it. I havent used it in any of my older points boats, but theyre generally in a pretty good state of tune.

TMCno1, thanks again for posting that schematic and giving no credit to the author. In the future, you may want to point out that it is a 1983-1990 PCM Ford specific diagram and should be used only as a loose reference for all other marinization packages. I know that it is accurate for Correct Crafts, and it is possible that MC could have made other wiring changes that may not be captured in the schematic.

TMCNo1
11-18-2008, 10:13 AM
TMCno1, thanks again for posting that schematic and giving no credit to the author. In the future, you may want to point out that it is a 1983-1990 PCM Ford specific diagram and should be used only as a loose reference for all other marinization packages. I know that it is accurate for Correct Crafts, and it is possible that MC could have made other wiring changes that may not be captured in the schematic.

I am sorry for not giving credit to the author, because the picture was captured from someone else's post as a reference, that did not include the acknowledgement and was not aware that it should be included. I have now taken care of the problem.

Gamble
12-06-2008, 10:59 PM
I have an 83 with the 351 and converted to elect ignition........I can take a picture for you on monday if you'd like in ref. to the coil........be glad to do it, just lemme know if I can help you. I too am using the ballast resistor, and from memory, there is no wire on the I side of the coil. Hope this helps you, and if you need a pic, lemme know.

amber 6
12-08-2008, 04:33 AM
If you can that would be great just to confirm I have removed the wire to the I post and will be putting a new battery in for our SUMMER if we get one this year.