PDA

View Full Version : GPS units for car and snowmobiling?

jkski
11-16-2008, 07:49 PM
I am getting ready to purchase my first GPS unit to us for both snowmobiling as well as in my car. I have researched them a good bit and have narrowed it down to the Garmin 276C as it has a larger screen and seems to hold-up in the elements pretty well.
So, my question is, what else will I need? I have heard the terms "topo map" and "city map" tossed around but really have no clue as to exactly what software I will need to buy to make it work the way I want. In the end I want to be able to have turn by turn directions while in the car and be able to download the snowmobile trails to avoid getting lost and having to rely on paper maps.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

bigmac
11-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Most of the guys in our group use Rino's. The advantage is its marking function for either finding the rest of the group or the group finding a lost member. I use a throat mike for the radio part and it works great. Otherwise, it's a great GPS. I have both topo and city navigator...rarely use the topo.

There are places on the web to download various snowmobile trail maps. I just use my own, saving the day's tracks to my laptop. Over the years, I've accumulated all the trails I usually ride.

I've found the GMRS radio to be really valuable, and the marking/updating function of all the guys in your group is a great safety measure, especially in the mountains or power fields. If you're mostly riding flatland stuff and don't need the communication, any upper level Garmin with a lithium ion battery will do.

tommcat
11-17-2008, 10:27 AM
if you keep it in your pocket they work nice. the ones mounted to the sled tend to lose the display in the cold

bigmac
11-17-2008, 12:37 PM
That's true of most LCD's but I keep that Rino mounted on my handlebars and haven't had a problem. Most of the upper level Garmins are designed for all-weather use. I don't know about the other models, but the Rino's screen is heated, enough to allow operation at well-below freezing temps.