PDA

View Full Version : Wiring for coil and distributor?

aellicson
05-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Hey guys,

I just put a new long block in my 75' prostar and boat and my dumbass can't remember how it was wired prior. What wires go to the coil(pos. and neg.) There is a wire that goes from the distributor to the coil also. Does this go to the positive terminal or neg.? I have two red wires(one I believe is the tach and the other ?) and an orange I followed back to the resister. I also converted it to electronic ignition(one red goes to + and black to - on the coil). Do I still need to run the other distributor wire to the coil? I was also told you need to bypass the resistor to get 12volts to the coil but the direction say not to. I tried looking at a wiring diagram but it does specify where they go on to the coil(-or+). If someone knows or could look on theirs it would be real helpful.

Good Skiing!

Andy

Laurel_Lake_Skier
05-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Welcome

The positive side of the coil should be power coming from your ignition switch. The negative side should lead to the distributor. The tach connection is usually on the distributor side of the coil. The ignition systems with points used a resistor in the run position from the ignition switch. This was bypassed for cranking the engine in order to get a better spark when starting. You'd have to check the requirements for the electronic system you are using but in most cases the resistor is not needed with electronic systems