PDA

View Full Version : Oil Bath Hub Leaking....

RoverGuy04
11-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Hey Guys,

On my last outing of the summer, I noticed that one of my oil bath hubs was leaking. The trailer is an '05 Mastercraft and the oil baths are manufactured by Reliable. I took the wheel off, and noticed that the oil was leaking out at the mating surface of the hub and scew on plastic cap. It didn't take much effort to remove the cap, so I figured it just loosened and was the cause of the leak. After taking the cap off, I drained the oil out of the hub, dried the o-ring off that seals the cap to the hub and then reinstalled the cap on the hub. I hand tightened it thinking it would be good, but after a test drive I discovered it started to leak again. On the end of the cap it says to torque the cap to 25/30 ft/lbs which is a little more than I can do with my hand! So what I am thinking now is that I should replace the o-ring that I re-used and figure out a way to tighten that cap down to spec. I called my local MC dealer and they were useless as they told me that MC changed the design and that they dont stock parts for the older oil bath hubs. Where could I find a new o-ring and is there a special socket for tightening the plastic cap? If not, what is the best way to tighten the cap without chancing cracking it? Thanks in advance....

Sodar
11-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Hey Guys,

On my last outing of the summer, I noticed that one of my oil bath hubs was leaking. The trailer is an '05 Mastercraft and the oil baths are manufactured by Reliable. I took the wheel off, and noticed that the oil was leaking out at the mating surface of the hub and scew on plastic cap. It didn't take much effort to remove the cap, so I figured it just loosened and was the cause of the leak. After taking the cap off, I drained the oil out of the hub, dried the o-ring off that seals the cap to the hub and then reinstalled the cap on the hub. I hand tightened it thinking it would be good, but after a test drive I discovered it started to leak again. On the end of the cap it says to torque the cap to 25/30 ft/lbs which is a little more than I can do with my hand! So what I am thinking now is that I should replace the o-ring that I re-used and figure out a way to tighten that cap down to spec. I called my local MC dealer and they were useless as they told me that MC changed the design and that they dont stock parts for the older oil bath hubs. Where could I find a new o-ring and is there a special socket for tightening the plastic cap? If not, what is the best way to tighten the cap without chancing cracking it? Thanks in advance....

Call Reliable... a bunch of members have gotten the old design replace with the new redesign metal hubs for free.

I will dig up the thread for ya.

Sodar
11-14-2008, 04:06 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=26796

RoverGuy04
11-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks Cameron. That is a big help. I've got an e-mail into Reliable regarding the problem. Let's see if I get lucky! Best Regards, -Matthew

vogelm1
11-14-2008, 07:11 PM
That's what I did - called Reliable - and they sent me new aluminum style hubs (with new o-rings too!) free of charge. Far as tightening them down, I found a strap wrench works really good. Snugged them down good and didn't worry about the torque spec.