PDA

View Full Version : Rudder/prop Removal

Abe
11-13-2008, 12:32 PM
So I bought a new 13x11.5 OJ prop for my MC 190 pro 1990. I recon the standard one that's on it has been on it from new and it is solid on, Anyway I managed to borrow a couple of prop pullers from a friend of a friends and am sure I will be able to get the old prop off. The problem I am having is I cant get enough leverage or room because the rudder is in the way. Can anyone tell me if this is an easy task to remove it. I Guess the fuel tank has to come out and the floor removed at stern to get to the bolts that fix the rudder. Is there anything else that I need to be aware of while doing this task. Thanks in advance for all replies.
Abe.

flipper
11-13-2008, 12:36 PM
you shouldn't have to take off the rudder to get the prop off. Search around on here, there are many ways to take off the prop. I made a puller for mine that worked great, some people used a couple 2X4's and a hammer. I think that stock prop on those was 13X13 if it's the 1:1.

Abe
11-13-2008, 12:41 PM
you shouldn't have to take off the rudder to get the prop off. Search around on here, there are many ways to take off the prop. I made a puller for mine that worked great, some people used a couple 2X4's and a hammer. I think that stock prop on those was 13X13 if it's the 1:1.

Thats right flipper it is a 13x13 and its jammed solid on. I will try with 2x4 and hammer first. but still not much room to work with under there

flipper
11-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Thats right flipper it is a 13x13 and its jammed solid on. I will try with 2x4 and hammer first. but still not much room to work with under there

I miss read, sorry. I thought you were saying the 13X11.5 was the stock one.

Sodar
11-13-2008, 12:58 PM
Buy a prop puller. A 2x4 seldom works. In some cases, you will need a prop puller and a hammer to get the prop off. Remember to leave the prop nut on the shaft, loosely, that way when the prop does actually pop (and it will), it will not end up on the ground.

Abe
11-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Buy a prop puller. A 2x4 seldom works. In some cases, you will need a prop puller and a hammer to get the prop off. Remember to leave the prop nut on the shaft, loosely, that way when the prop does actually pop (and it will), it will not end up on the ground.

I take you mean to hit the top of the prop puller with the hammer when its on. The puller i have just now is not a mastercraft one and thats why the the rudder is in the way.

ttu
11-13-2008, 01:41 PM
just pick up a oj prop puller. trust me you will use it.:rolleyes:

Sodar
11-13-2008, 02:22 PM
I take you mean to hit the top of the prop puller with the hammer when its on. The puller i have just now is not a mastercraft one and thats why the the rudder is in the way.

Correct, put the prop puller and tighten it down. Grab a 2x4 and hit the back of the prop (side facing the bow) with a hammer. It should pop off after a few hits.

dsoby
11-13-2008, 02:33 PM
You might also want to think about heating the prop while doing the above if you can't get it off otherwise. Like Sodar said, make sure that you don't take the prop nut off completely. When it gives, it will damage something if you don't.

Abe
11-13-2008, 02:36 PM
Thanks Guys, Will let you know how I get on.

coz
11-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Heat it up and it will pop right off

http://ashfieldplumbers.com/Blow-Torch_01.jpg

Make sure the flame is pointing away from the hull :D

Abe
11-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Heat it up and it will pop right off

http://ashfieldplumbers.com/Blow-Torch_01.jpg

Make sure the flame is pointing away from the hull :D

Coz, I,ve tried that, sat there for ages with a blow torch on it, and no joy. As ttu sugested, I am going to buy a prop puller that will do the job, I may need it again :( just in case.

coz
11-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Coz, I,ve tried that, sat there for ages with a blow torch on it, and no joy. As ttu sugested, I am going to buy a prop puller that will do the job, I may need it again just in case.

When all else fails :eek:
http://www.tools-hills.com/images/12-Lb-Premium-Quality-Sledge-Hammer-B0000AXA67-M-A1787XOD7Q2I4M_.jpg
Good luck :D