PDA

View Full Version : Surfing w/o swim platform.

Justjoe
11-13-2008, 11:00 AM
So I struggled this fall to get a really clean dark side wake from the X2. I was cleaning the hull and putting another coat of wax on it (because at least then I get to do SOMETHING with the boat) and got to looking at the swim platform. This boat has the fiberglass one.

I know the swim platform is well into the water at surf speeds, and I wonder how much effect the trailing edge of the fiberglass effects the wake being that it is cupped. Perhaps this is what creates the wash on top of the wake that I didn't have with the 197 (which had a teak flatform). Now don't get me wrong, the X2 has a great wake with a LOT of push, but the quality is not where I want it to be yet.

The obvious issue of surfing without the platform would be getting back into the boat. No wait...someone will say the obvious issue is being able to get that much closer to the prop, but whatever. So anyways, the question then is: what kind of experience is there for surfing without the platform? Does it clean up the wake? Would going to a teak platform that doesn't have the cavity beneath it reduce the froth on top of what I'm getting now??

Roonie's
11-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Interesting question.... however as an owner of an X2 as well with the teak platform I an say with honesty that the wake is washed out on top regardless. Not until you get a lot of aftermarket weight in the boat does it start to come clean.

Here is a pick of me with stock ballast port and kgb filled with a couple extra people in boat at about 11 mph. You can see a lot of wash at top of wave.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/DSC_0116.jpg

I don't have any pics yet with my flyhigh system installed surfing, I can tell you it is much different and I am also carrying about 2000 #'s. You lose the washout on top of the wake. So I am not sure teak or fiberglass has much effect? or maybe it does?

coz
11-13-2008, 12:34 PM
If it's happened to me I'm sure it's happened to someone else too. There have been times when I get too close and tip of the board has ended up on the platform even smacking the back of the boat and having to push myself off like a platform start, so I would rather end up on the step rather that take the chance of a board slipping under the boat, chop, chop :eek:

ShamrockIV
11-13-2008, 12:40 PM
D@mn the board COZ!!! I am partial to my legs!!!

ChicagoX55
11-13-2008, 12:55 PM
what is a flyhigh?

wakeX2wake
11-13-2008, 12:58 PM
what is a flyhigh?

company that makes a ballast kit custom fit to the X2... price 'em around... i found their bow sac on eBay for 100 bucks

flipper
11-13-2008, 01:04 PM

I was thinking the same thing. You don't need a board once your legs are fish food

coz
11-13-2008, 01:13 PM

OK step stays :rolleyes: :D

TMCNo1
11-13-2008, 01:54 PM
what is a flyhigh?

Would this be it?42111

Roonie's
11-13-2008, 05:58 PM
If it's happened to me I'm sure it's happened to someone else too. There have been times when I get too close and tip of the board has ended up on the platform even smacking the back of the boat and having to push myself off like a platform start, so I would rather end up on the step rather that take the chance of a board slipping under the boat, chop, chop :eek:

Happens to me all the time.... for sure would want the platform there for a safety net to protect you and the boat.

Justjoe
11-13-2008, 06:05 PM
If you don't take a chance, you don't stand a chance. I think mr T said that.

coz
11-13-2008, 06:21 PM
If you don't take a chance, you don't stand a chance. I think mr T said that.

And where's Mr T these days? :D

kgrove
11-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Re-learning to walk after cutting off his foot surfing without a platform.

Reto
11-14-2008, 07:55 AM
I did test my 08 X-2 at wakesurfing speeds without platform. The wake was a little bit better (less wash ou) - but not much.

I tried a lot of different setups and best for wakesurfing was to use a 2006 X-2 prop and no platform. With this setup the wake was better, but not good :( Wake has much power but the shape is not good for airs.

Because of that issue i will sell my X-2 to buy a boat wich is better for surfing. :rolleyes:

coz
11-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Because of that issue i will sell my X-2 to buy a boat wich is better for surfing. :rolleyes:

Glück mit dem Verkaufen :D

TMCNo1
11-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Glück mit dem Verkaufen :D

Gesundheit! Take some 42128 Vicks NyQuil Cold, Flu, Sore Throat & Cough Medicine
(http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu6axiB1JZB4BmTZXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByMTNuNTZ zBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=11jhavl3f/EXP=1226758705/**http%3a//www.vicks.com/nyquil.php) and call the doctor in the morning!:D:rolleyes:

coz
11-14-2008, 10:34 AM
Gesundheit! Take some 42128 Vicks NyQuil Cold, Flu, Sore Throat & Cough Medicine
(http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu6axiB1JZB4BmTZXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByMTNuNTZ zBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=11jhavl3f/EXP=1226758705/**http%3a//www.vicks.com/nyquil.php) and call the doctor in the morning!:D

Well since I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and had a Schnitzel for dinner last night that qualified me to reply in German :D but he hasn't responded so I hope I didn't cuss him out :confused:

Mein Deutsch ist schwach :D

Sodar
11-14-2008, 10:42 AM
I think all you wanna be surfers should stop ruining the lakes with your monster rollers, stop worrying about making a surfable wave with a farking skiboat and get your butts out and surf real waves. If the last option is not a viable option, then go back to your homes and throw a surf video in to get your jollies off. I will never understand this wakesurfing craze. :rolleyes:

coz
11-14-2008, 10:47 AM
I think all you wanna be surfers should stop ruining the lakes with your monster rollers, stop worrying about making a surfable wave with a farking skiboat and get your butts out and surf real waves. If the last option is not a viable option, then go back to your homes and throw a surf video in to get your jollies off. I will never understand this wakesurfing craze. :rolleyes:

I'm with ya Sodar, if anyone's surfed a real wave not a wake they know it's nothing like surfing a wave. I've had a couple wake surfboards thinking it would fill my surfing void after moving here to az, it don't and it's not even close to really surfing :D BORING!!!!

Itsme
11-14-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm with ya Sodar, if anyone's surfed a real wave not a wake they know it's nothing like surfing a wave. I've had a couple wake surfboards thinking it would fill my surfing void after moving here to az, it don't and it's not even close to really surfing :D BORING!!!!

Try landlocking yourself in the midwest for a few years where the only swell to be seen is on the great lakes during February. Wakesurfing quickly sounds like a much warmer way to be sidways with a wave pushing you... :D

Definitely not the same as real swell, but it definitely gets you by between surf trips!!!

Roonie's
11-14-2008, 01:16 PM

I think what you wrote should read like this.....

dang kiddies.... I remember when I was young I had to walk 10 miles to school in blizzards carrying a hot potato to keep the hands warm. This new fingle fangled stuff confuses me???

or do you really think everyone lives in CA?

Sodar
11-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Whatever happened to wakeboarding and skiing... "This new fingle fangled surfing stuff confuses me???"

:D

Everyone has their own opinions and interests. I just hate hitting the wakes from surfers. It really does jolt the crap out of other boats and unfortunately, where I boat, there is no other place to go, than dead through them.

Roonie's
11-14-2008, 01:37 PM
I completely agree.. the wakes are huge and should only be done when no other boats around.

We are also in a lake with 100' + boats with wakes much bigger than anything I can produce so my wake is just a small blip on the screen.

Justjoe
11-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Sodar, I appreciate (and understand) your concerns regarding hitting surf wakes, and I'm excited that you included wakeboarding as a legitimate thing to do behind a boat (as I remember when it was only a skier vs wakeboarder world). I clearly see that we, as people, have made great strides toward seeing ALL people as equal. Yet, obviously, some are STILL more equal than others.

I see a perfect day ahead:

-5:00 am slalom behind the 197 on glassy perfect waters (2 hrs)
-7:00 a light rippling leads to crazy perfect barefootin (or at least trying) (2 hrs)
-9:00 boat change at the dock and fuel fill/breakfast (1 hr)
-10:00 drop the wakeboard boat in (lets call it....an x-star...)
-10:30 wake boarding (1 hrs)
-11:30 your cousin from Atlanta wants to try to ski. You get out those old jumpers and play.
-12:30 Lunch (1 hr)
-1:30 The lake is a MESS with boats.... lets just lie out for a bit and watch wally. (2 hrs)
-3:30 Clearing but WAVEY...the surf wake is protected in the lee of the boat. We surf (2 hrs)
-5:30 Lets stop and have an early meal (really hungry because we've been on the water) (1.5 hrs)
-7:00 Lake is coming back together, lets let the kids play on the knee board and get a few more wake board sets in (2 hrs)
-9:00 pm Wow, what a beautiful sunset. Lets have a drink and consider how lucky we are.(1.5 hrs)
-10:30 pm Hey check out these new transom lights!!! Lets go swimming!

Can't we all just be friends??

rodltg2
11-14-2008, 02:06 PM
if you want to surf and live nowhere near the beach, stop wasting all your money on expensive wakeboard boats and ballast. just buy one of these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e21G1QUiH1E&feature=related

Justjoe
11-14-2008, 02:30 PM
I tried one of those last fall (and had my A** handed to me!!)!! Nothing quite like falling hard on your face in 2" of water, and then being blown up over the back. Takes, like, five minutes before you start thinking "Hey, I know what I did wrong...I'm sure I can do this" and repeating the abuse. All while being goaded by fifth graders on boogey boards.

Yeah, no. But they (the pool, not the fifth graders) are cool. Maybe if the board at the wave park had a fin...