PDA

View Full Version : Need a new Appetizer idea

Maristar210
11-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Every Year for the last nine we have held a Holiday gathering the first Saturday in December. Each year I struggle to find something new to wow the guests as I do all the cooking and no one is allowed to bring any food (booze, and lots of it is good) The regulars understand this so it works.

So with all of that who has a killer app recipe that is fairly easy?

sand2snow22
11-12-2008, 07:13 PM
You probably already know the little smokey receipe:
Each little smoky wrapped in a half of a piece of bacon. Pack them into a pan like UMP packs money into his wallet. Pack brown sugar on top until you can't see them. Bake 450 for 1 hour or until brown sugar becomes a liquid and the bacon is cooked. Serve with tooth picks.

Andyg
11-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Or a little twist on the Little Smokies, Pigs in Blankets. Buy a package of little smokies and a tube and a half of Pilsbury Cresent Rolls. Cut the sheets of dough into small triangles. There is a little trick to cutting the dough so you get the right number of triangles, see picture. Then wrap each little smokie with a trianglular shaped piece of dough. Roll the little smokie starting with the fat end of the triangle so that when it is rolled up the triangle point is on the outside. Then bake them per the instructions on the Pilsbury package until golden brown. Serve hot with your choice of dipping sauce, I prefer a good mustard.

coz
11-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Every Year for the last nine we have held a Holiday gathering the first Saturday in December. Each year I struggle to find something new to wow the guests as I do all the cooking and no one is allowed to bring any food (booze, and lots of it is good) The regulars understand this so it works.

If you like shrimp, my wife gets this herb & garlic marinade and sautes the cooked large shrimp (shrimp cocktail kind) in the marinade, it's quick, easy and real good for apps :D

Here's an inexpensive one, take a can of Deninsons chili and a block of Philidelphia cream cheese and warm up the chili with the CC in it and after it's melted stir and serve with Fritos dip chips, mmmm!!

peason
11-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Friends of ours would bake a coconut shrimp and then cook it on the barbeque. Good stuff! a

east tx skier
11-12-2008, 10:27 PM

Steve, this is guaranteed to please.

Buy fresh pineapple chunks. Wrap in bacon. Stab with toothpick. Pan fry or grill. Simple in its perfection.

flipper
11-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Steve, this is guaranteed to please.

Buy fresh pineapple chunks. Wrap in bacon. Stab with toothpick. Pan fry or grill. Simple in its perfection.

That sounds pretty good. Never tried that one, but I think I'm going to have to.

wakolman
11-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Not sure if MI is like anything like WI in the fact that we can get a great selection of brats at a butcher shop. Buy a bunch of different varieties of brats (jalapeno, cheese and bacon, green pepper/mozz., cajun, etc.) and slice them into medallions. Bake on a cookie sheet, add toothpics, and serve with some different premium dipping mustards!

Bacon wrapped waterchestnuts. Spinach/artichoke dip. Baked taco beef and bean dip. X2 on Coz's cream cheese with a can of chili on top, and further topped with cheddar.

If you do anything with peanut butter, just be sure to open a new jar. ;)

Oh, I almost forgot. Serve them mini pasties!

flipper
11-12-2008, 10:51 PM
7 layer bean dip?

Maristar210
11-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Not sure if MI is like anything like WI in the fact that we can get a great selection of brats at a butcher shop. Buy a bunch of different varieties of brats (jalapeno, cheese and bacon, green pepper/mozz., cajun, etc.) and slice them into medallions. Bake on a cookie sheet, add toothpics, and serve with some different premium dipping mustards!

Bacon wrapped waterchestnuts. Spinach/artichoke dip. Baked taco beef and bean dip. X2 on Coz's cream cheese with a can of chili on top, and further topped with cheddar.

If you do anything with peanut butter, just be sure to open a new jar. ;)

Oh, I almost forgot. Serve them mini pasties!

That's some funny sheet there

No Skeez
11-12-2008, 11:38 PM
So yet another variation to Coz's cream cheese and chili... Soften 2 8 oz packages of cream cheese in the microwave. Spread into bottom of 9x13 pan. Sprinkle Garlic Powder on top. Pour 1 or 2 cans of Hormel Chili WITHOUT beans. 1/2 to 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese on top. Bake @ 350 til cheese is melted and dish is heated through. Serve with Manny's restaurant style strips or chips. Not necessarily a health food, but hey, it's the holidays, right? Besides, you and you're guests will be juiced enough, does it really matter how it tastes or if its good for you?

wakolman
11-13-2008, 12:48 PM
So yet another variation to Coz's cream cheese and chili... Soften 2 8 oz packages of cream cheese in the microwave. Spread into bottom of 9x13 pan. Sprinkle Garlic Powder on top. Pour 1 or 2 cans of Hormel Chili WITHOUT beans. 1/2 to 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese on top. Bake @ 350 til cheese is melted and dish is heated through. Serve with Manny's restaurant style strips or chips. Not necessarily a health food, but hey, it's the holidays, right? Besides, you and you're guests will be juiced enough, does it really matter how it tastes or if its good for you?

Pretty much what I do. Sometimes we use chili w/beans. Manny's chips are the bomb!

And the pasties reference wasn't a joke! I have been eating them all my life. They are as common as, well, PB & J in my hometown. My mom even makes them with the little old ladies at her church for pasty sales.

wakeX2wake
11-13-2008, 12:55 PM
have you tried the grilled shrimp wrapped in bacon and cream cheese... take thick grilled bacon slice spread cream cheese over the bacon and wrap around an unsuspecting gilled shrimp... toothpick through to hold the tender bacon in place... grill a bit longer... then voi la... and you probably won't ever make enough of them... we never have

ChicagoX55
11-13-2008, 12:58 PM
bacon wrapped dates, they are the most amazing thing I have ever tasted and they always have people at the party talking! If this is one you seriously consider I can get the receipe from my father for you.

Sodar
11-13-2008, 01:02 PM
What are appetizers? Is that a hillbilly way of saying "hors d'oeuvres"

/Walking away with my nose in the air.
//Jiffy Jeff must have some good sh*t he can cook up on the BGE!
///Have Pram ship you a bunch of pre-made sandwiches... kpjohnson pays shipping! :D

TMCNo1
11-13-2008, 01:11 PM
What are appetizers? Is that a hillbilly way of saying "hors d'oeuvres"

/Walking away with my nose in the air.
//Jiffy Jeff must have some good sh*t he can cook up on the BGE!
///Have Pram ship you a bunch of pre-made sandwiches... kpjohnson pays shipping! :D

No, hillbillies do Spam Fondue for finger foods!

captain planet
11-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Steve, this will WOW anyone that appreciates good taste.

Take two small packages of goat cheese and cut the cheese into small cubes (it's real soft, this isn't very easy). Line the bottom of a decorative bowl (8" round) or plate and take chopped sundried tomatoes and basil leaves and sprinkle over the top of the cheese chunks. Then take about 15 to 20 cloves of garlic and cut into chunks that are about half the size of your pinkie nail. Take toothpicks and stuff the garlic chunks down into the bottom of the layer of cheese. Leave several of the toothpicks in the garlic. Cover with plastic wrap and put in your refigerator for a day to let the garlic and basil flavor to get into the cheese. The toothpicks will help keep the plastic wrap off the cheese while in your refrigerator.

Serve with fancy crackers. It is REALLY good!

flipper
11-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Take a pice of salami, spread cream cheese on it. Wrap that around a pepperchinni, tooth pick to hold it together. Good stuff

RexDog1
11-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Two slices of bread (if not pre-sliced, approximately square length and height, approximately one inch in width or thickness)
One dull knife
One jar of peanut butter
One jar of jelly
One clean surface (plate, cutting board, etc.)
Given that all the necessary items are present, you begin by laying down two slices of bread on the table directly in front of you. Pick up the jar of peanut butter in one hand. With the opposite, unscrew the top in a counterclock wise fashion. Once removed, set down the top on the table. Holding on to the open jar of peanut butter, pick up the spreading utensil with the free hand. Grab a nice portion of peanut butter on your knife. Put down the peanut butter. With the hand that is now available, pick up either slice of bread in a fashion that the top side of the bread is visible. Maintain and open palm w/ finger slightly bent to keep the slice in place. Carefully apply the knife with the scoop of peanut butter to the slice of bread. Gently spread the peanut butter so that it is evenly distributed. Lay down the piece of bread w/ peanut butter on the table next to the untouched bread, peanut butter side up. Now, set down the knife. Using one hand of the two that are available, pick up the jelly jar and open the jar in the same manner as the peanut butter jar. Set the top down and pick up the knife w/ your free hand. Insert the knife into the jelly jar and scoop out a decent portion of jelly. Because the jelly is quite unstable, you practice caution when holding it. Carefully set down the jelly jar and pick up the slice of bread with your free hand. Be sure that the slice does not have peanut butter. Hold the slice in the same manner as the previous slice. Gently apply the jelly to the slice of bread. spread the jelly so the that all the jelly is evenly distributed. Next, set down the knife. Holding on to the slice of bread with jelly in the same manner, pick up the slice of bread with peanut butter. Be sure to pick it up from the sides so that you do not stick your fingers in the spread. Adjust the slice of bread so that it is held on and open palm w/ slightly bent fingers. Make sure that the peanut butter is facing up. Bring both pieces of bread together as in a clapping motion, but with a fraction of the force. Maintain this your hands clasped while you rotate your hands 45 degrees. Remove the top hand, and there you have it.....and peanut butter and jelly sandwich.:rolleyes:

6ballsisall
11-13-2008, 01:44 PM
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pigcandy.htm

or Smoked Onions

One small or medium Videlia onion per person
One slice bacon per onion - cooked crispy
About 1 teaspoon butter per onion ( I used a compound butter with herbs I had on hand )
Salt and pepper or your favorite seasoning to taste
About 2 teaspoons Gorgonzola cheese per each onion

Use a paring knife to cut the root end off a vidalia onion. Leave the skin on for now to help it stand better, and for appearance.
This will leave a cone shaped hole almost to the center.

Make 4 vertical cuts about two thirds through from the cut side down almost like you are starting to make a bloomin' onion.

Season with salt and pepper and add a dollop of butter in the hole.

Smoke alongside your meat at 200-250 F until they are tender.
Test by giving a light squeeze with tongs. When they yield slightly to the tongs, use the paring knife to make sure there are sufficient cuts in the onion. Try not to leave any holes for the cheese to leak out.
Crumble a slice of cooked bacon in the hole and top with the cheese. Shove it down a bit so it doesn't fall out.

Continue cooking for another 30-45 minutes or until it looks melted and slightly golden from the smoke.

If you are using a vertical smoker you may want to cook these on the bottom because some cheese will probably drip while cooking.

Present them with the brown crispy skin on for the guests to remove, but it would be easier for them if you remove it first.

The cheese texture was a bit firm, not very "gooey", maybe better to finish it at a lower temperature (180 F?) .

6ballsisall
11-13-2008, 01:46 PM
For the stuffing...
3 - 8oz cans of crab meat.
8oz block of cream cheese softened.
1/4 th cup of seasoned Italian style bread crumbs.
1/4 th cup of Green Olive Tapenade.
1 tsp or so of Lemon juice.
A few good shakes of Tabasco sauce or
liquid crab boil seasoning/more if ya like it hotter.
Salt and Pepper to taste.
Mozzarella Cheese.

What to do with it....
Cut the tops off eight nice sized tomatoes & scoop out the insides. Stuff the cream cheese & crab mix into the clean tomatoes and top with a good pinch of mozzarella cheese. Place in a foil pan & smoke at about 250 for 45 minutes to an hour.

jraben8
11-13-2008, 01:54 PM
bacon wrapped dates, they are the most amazing thing I have ever tasted and they always have people at the party talking! If this is one you seriously consider I can get the receipe from my father for you.

Dang!!! My dates will never let me wrap them in bacon!!!

Cary K.
11-13-2008, 02:23 PM
FRESH jalapeno poppers. Can get rest of recipe from wife, but basically cut in half, de-seed. Make mix of cheeses, sausage, some fresh seeds, not sure what else. Stuff open faced pepper and top with more cheese, bake, enjoy!!! Sooo good.

etduc
11-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Buffalo Shrimp
In a bowl, place 9-12 count shrimp (I call them, "bull shrimp) add a little olive oil, then dowse with Louisanna "Hot" sauce, salt and pepper. Let marinate 15-30 minutes, or longer. Throw on the barbie. Do not overcook.
Serve with a good quality blue cheese dressing, and some veggies. Dos Equis on the side.

Toober Tom
11-13-2008, 02:42 PM
It dosn't get any better than this:
http://www.fastlanetransport.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/sheep_testicles.jpg

Monte
11-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Tom if I puke on my computer, I am gong to come after you and your toobs...

wakolman
11-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Scotch Eggs

6 hard-cooked eggs, well chilled
1 pound breakfast sausage
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup fine bread crumbs
Vegetable oil for frying

Peel eggs and set aside. Divide sausage into 6 portions. Roll each egg in flour and with hands press a portion of the sausage around each egg.

Dip sausage-wrapped eggs into beaten eggs and roll in bread crumbs. Heat vegetable oil to 350 F.

Cook each egg in oil about 4-5 minutes or until sausage is cooked and browned. Drain on paper toweling. Serve warm.

etduc
11-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Try this recipe.
http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/RockyMtnOyster.htm

TMCNo1
11-13-2008, 05:56 PM
It dosn't get any better than this:
http://www.fastlanetransport.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/sheep_testicles.jpg
I got something to store them in after they're cooked and pickled!

coz
11-13-2008, 06:15 PM
My research and this thread give me the munchies :o

Imagine if we all teamed up for a pot luck :D mmmmmm! :D

fletch_n_me
11-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Bacon wrapped scallops:

-Large sea scallops - 2 or 3 lbs - frozen will do.
-2 packs of regular sliced bacon - cut them all in half.
-Wrap bacon around scallops and place on a foil lines cookie sheet or you can use a casserole baking pan - whatever's clever.
-sprinkle all with Old Bay when finished wrapping.

Bake @375 for 35 minutes until the bacon is crisp - let cool for 10.

These are usually gone in 10 minutes - love this recipe and make it for all my parties. People ask about them as soon as they walk in.J