PDA

View Full Version : Orca closed coolling system into '06 X2

Marky-mark
11-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Hi, this is my first post. Just bought my first Mastercraft, a 2006 new shape X2. As part of the deal I managed to get a new Orca Marine closed cooling system thrown in with the boat as long as I fitted it myself. After towing the boat 300 miles home and unpacking I found that there is no paperwork with the kit. I haven't been able to track anything down and was hoping that someone could e-mail me a schematic and any other usefull information. Please help as there doesn't seem to be any information on this anywhere. Thanks!

Sodar
11-12-2008, 12:30 PM
I don't have a good picture of my Orca CC system on my old boat, but the hook up is very simple.

On the raw water side, the raw water comes from the Raw water pump, up to the heat exchanger (Elbow on the bottom of the heat exchanger) runs through the heat exchanger and out to top to a tee, where the raw water exits through the exhaust manifolds.

On the coolant side, the coolant enters on the back side from the circulating pump, runs through the heat exchanger and then out the heat exchanger to the thermostat housing, where it enters the motor. There is also an outlet for the overflow reservoir (as seen on the starboard side of the motor in the picture.

Here are some bad pictures I have, that might or might not help.

Marky-mark
11-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Hi. Thanks for the info. Doesn't seem too complicated. Does that mean the exhaust manifolds aren't part of the closed cooling? I was led to believe they were cooled with the engine. Also I'm not sure what you mean about the pumps. Are there two? I thought there was only the raw water pump? Should there have been a recirc pump with the kit? Thanks again.

Sodar
11-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Exhaust manifolds/risers are not cooled by the system. They are cooled by the exiting raw water. I am 90% sure you have a half-system (block only). I have only seen full systems on high end motors and diesels. You could have a full system, but I doubt it.

Contact Orca at: 360-734-6860. They were very helpful when I did mine.

Yes, your motor has 2 pumps... all motors have 2 pumps.

http://www.orcamarine.com/images/CCSHALF.JPG

In a Half System (Block Only) closed cooling system, the treated fresh water is circulated through the engine block, thermostat, expansion tank, heat exchanger and circulation pump. It is not routed through the exhaust manifold(s). Raw water which has removed heat from the engine through the heat exchanger is then injected into the exhaust manifold, from which it flows to the exhaust elbow to quench the exhaust.

This system does not provide the same degree of protection for your engine as a FULL (Block and Manifold) closed cooling system, but is generally easier to install, less expensive, and may be the only option available if your engine's pump capacity, electronic control system, or other factors prevent a FULL system from being safely installed on a particular engine or boat.

Marky-mark
11-12-2008, 01:03 PM
That's fantastic. Thanks. My other boats have had Mercruiser stern drives which only have a pump in the leg. I didn't know these were different. I haven't had much chance to examine the boat closely as it hasn't stopped raining since I got it home - Good old British weather!!!