PDA

View Full Version : My boy's wrecked car

Skipper
11-10-2008, 07:56 PM
My 16 year old son wrecked our 2002 Kia Spectra. Nobody was hurt. It is one of the few things I actually owned (no loan). Since we own it, and it is operated by a 16 year old boy, we just have liability insurance.

Anyhow, the engine looks okay. The radiator, bumper, hood, and quarter panel are toast. I can replace those things from a junk yard. The frame is bent inward and downward. It is not an actual frame, not sure how to describe it.

Anyhow, can I fix this thing? What do I do with it if I can't? I have thought about selling it to a junk yard. But I would probably only get a few hundred bucks. Any ideas?

cbryan70
11-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Find one with a blown up motor or trans and swap them out

ttu
11-10-2008, 08:04 PM
it's a unibody vehicle. they can be pulled with a frame machine but that one does not look good. i can see the front pics, but how did the qtr panel get damaged.

TX.X-30 fan
11-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Not a very stiff looking frame there. My boys are young but I think I may trade UMP for the blues mobile.

Maristar210
11-11-2008, 09:16 AM
I agree with Bryan

Find a blown one.

If that were mine I weld a piece of channel on the inside of that to beef it up a bit.

Kia = Junk

Good luck Skip

flipper
11-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Glad to hear nobody was hurt. As far as fixing, not really worth it unless you're able to find a blown up one like the others have said, and do the work yourself. Labor on an engine swap will probably cost more than the car is worth. If it's the kids car, tell him to deal with it.

88 PS190
11-11-2008, 11:28 AM
If you found one with a perfect front unibody and are a great welder (personally not hiring one)

And do all the body work alone... And I would not reinforce it when you put it back together, these cars are somewhat safe becausethe front crushes easier than the cabin. if you beef it up all of a sudden you have no crush zones.

There is no question, any insurance company would call that totalled.

mcdoon
11-11-2008, 12:29 PM
My daughter had a similar incident with a '92 Camry. I know the body shop guy pretty well and he told me the uni-body would need to be welded back together to get the structural integrity back. He said if I didn't get it fixed and she was in a similar accident she would likely be hurt pretty badly. It was $3000 a few years back. A lot I know, but he convinced me I shouldn't send my daughter out in it unless it was fixed properly.

Boogieman
11-11-2008, 02:13 PM
not worth fixing . . to repair such a damage would cost more than the car is worth . . . try to get as much as possible for it . . and be happy if it's gone . . .

damaged442
11-11-2008, 03:11 PM
I agree with mcdoon and Boogieman on this one. It would be tough to guarantee it's safety after fixing the unibody. The structural integrity has been compromised. I'd try getting what you can for it and get him a 1970s Oldsmobile or something that can take a hit. I'm glad he's OK though!

Maristar210
11-11-2008, 03:14 PM
I'll weld ya a roll cage for that baby :D

yzwiley
11-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Boogieman is correct, as too is McDoon about the safety of the car. To restore it back to a safe vehicle would be at a cost greater than what the vehicle is worth. I was in the collision repair industry for years and had seen many of these situations. You're best off calling it a loss and moving on. Trying to fix it will be a "can of worms".

Prostar Rich
11-11-2008, 03:47 PM
If you do decide to total the vehicle you may find that donating the vehicle to charity for the tax write off may be better than selling to the junk yard.

Prostar Rich

Footin
11-11-2008, 07:11 PM
I agree with other and find one with a blown motor and swap them out; however, I would have junior help with the job.....make it a father son winter project, he might learn something and take better care of the finished project.

ttu
11-11-2008, 07:24 PM
one of the big problems in doing rebuilds now days in the airbag systems. a lot of salvage yards will make you sign off on a liability waiver should later down the road the vehicle be involved in a accident that "should" of set the system off and it does not happen.

i would just part the thing out and go on the way.

Skipper
11-12-2008, 08:35 AM
The welding would be way above my skill level. I removed the destroyed components to get a good look at the damage. There are multiple layers of thin steel tack welded to each other forming a frame.

I will not attempt to repair. It was the boy's car. I'll just sell it to a junk yard.

Thanks for the input.

Skipper
11-12-2008, 08:57 AM

That's what it looked like before I disassembled it.

uawaterskier
11-13-2008, 01:08 AM
yeah i would say that one is toast...other than finding a donor kia, thats about your only option