PDA

View Full Version : Lake Restrictions HP, Length, db, Speed…?

VTJC
05-07-2005, 12:02 AM
In this thread http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=2697&page=1&pp=10 a lake limits boat length. What other strange rule are out there? I thought I would start a new thread rather than taking over that one.

My inlaws have a beautiful house on this lake http://maps.google.com/maps?q=columbia,+ct&ll=41.712384,-72.329779&spn=0.019097,0.031672&t=k&hl=en in Columbia, CT. Unfortunately the town which owns the lake limits HP to 75 for outboards and 150 for I/O’s & inboards, but they allow jet skis! So instead of having some good handling small wake inboards they have a bunch of bowriders flying around with the driver looking back watching the people on the tube. There is a course in the middle which some crafty locals have built up a special I/O for that skis amazing well(they have a bunch of 145hp stickers). One guy went as far as putting a 4 cylinder into a Malibu, but I have never scene it leave the dock. One day I think I will buy another Moomba Boomerang or old MC and put a 4cyl or V6 into it for use on that lake.

Why don’t people limit the direct things the don’t like such as noise and speed? Many boats with 75hp outboard or 150hp are faster and louder than our inboards.

Leroy
05-07-2005, 12:18 AM
We have a beautiful lake in Indy, Eagle Creek Lake that is <10HP and almost exclusively windsurfers, sailboats and fishermen in small boats. I used to windsurf it all the time when I lived there and it's nice for that. Compared to having the Baja boats on there like my OPEN lake does I wonder......

What is the point for those Baja boats, two seats, 800HP and they run wide open or idle......bla bla bla bla bla

Many times just the wrong people set the rules and you need to be active when that happens. Good thread!

Brn85ss
05-07-2005, 12:26 AM
I can top that,I live on a lake that no motors of any type are allowed.Electric or gas period.Thought about doing a midnight run with the M/C,but I don't really need to spend any time in jail.

erkoehler
05-07-2005, 01:13 AM
We have ski hours on Finley lake in WI. They are from 9am to 6pm! The 9am one has been broken on a consistent basis, but off the lake at 6pm all the time. Otherwise, the neighbors will start leaving notes on your boat!

André
05-07-2005, 05:36 AM
I know of at least one lake here that has banned ballast and wake enhancements systems.We had a Correct Craft 226 on our small lake last year with more then 2000 lbs of ballast on a 1200 feets wide lake.there was 3 feets rollers hitting the shores everytime he went by.
The next morning,the driver side windshield was shattered.
Wasn't me i swear!

erkoehler
05-07-2005, 07:19 AM
I know of at least one lake here that has banned ballast and wake enhancements systems.We had a Correct Craft 226 on our small lake last year with more then 2000 lbs of ballast on a 1200 feets wide lake.there was 3 feets rollers hitting the shores everytime he went by.
The next morning,the driver side windshield was shattered.
Wasn't me i swear!

WOW! Did they ever find out who it was? I mean that is just going off the deep end.

6ballsisall
05-07-2005, 07:31 AM
We can't have ballast on our lake, that was added this year. 35mph speed limits as well.

Up at our mountain house in Colorado no gas motors allowed on the 90 acre lake.

erkoehler
05-07-2005, 03:30 PM
There is one lake in the area that is a "SWIMMING ONLY" lake. No boats, no fishing, no skiing, no rowing, paddling, no kayaking.

erkoehler
05-07-2005, 04:03 PM
In this thread http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=2697&page=1&pp=10 a lake limits boat length. What other strange rule are out there? I thought I would start a new thread rather than taking over that one.

My inlaws have a beautiful house on this lake http://maps.google.com/maps?q=columbia,+ct&ll=41.712384,-72.329779&spn=0.019097,0.031672&t=k&hl=en in Columbia, CT. Unfortunately the town which owns the lake limits HP to 75 for outboards and 150 for I/O’s & inboards, but they allow jet skis! So instead of having some good handling small wake inboards they have a bunch of bowriders flying around with the driver looking back watching the people on the tube. There is a course in the middle which some crafty locals have built up a special I/O for that skis amazing well(they have a bunch of 145hp stickers). One guy went as far as putting a 4 cylinder into a Malibu, but I have never scene it leave the dock. One day I think I will buy another Moomba Boomerang or old MC and put a 4cyl or V6 into it for use on that lake.

Why don’t people limit the direct things the don’t like such as noise and speed? Many boats with 75hp outboard or 150hp are faster and louder than our inboards.

Here is a cheap Moomba Boomerang:

http://crashedtoys.com/Item.asp?StockNumber=RT05-623&cookiesupport=

VTJC
05-10-2005, 04:15 PM
Fortunately a few years ago our state legislature had the foresight to ban personal watercraft from most of the small lakes, unless they appealed. The appeals were due by March of one winter, so I think most of the Jet Skiers were on there snowmobiles. It’s great occasionally an unknowing person will launch one on the lake and we are reminded how annoying they are until somebody approaches them.

Thanks for the Moomba find, but that is a multiple year(someday) project for me. That one is just like my old 88 though.

AirJunky
05-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Canyon Lake in Cali has some crazy rules.

- no ballast whatsoever
- boats can be no longer than 20' long, plus the bolt on swimstep
- you can only drive with the shore on your right (counterclockwise)
- only from dusk till dawn. Speed limit after dark is 5 mph
- only 3 skiers/boarders/riders allowed at a time
- 15 min. sets (no lie!) & then it's time to allow someone else to ski
- no tricks between the lighthouse & the main beach area (where everyone wants to show off to the bikinis)

Granite_33
05-10-2005, 04:39 PM
I just posted on the "Boating Laws" thread that CA is over the top. AirJunky just proved my point.

:mad:

6ballsisall
05-10-2005, 04:54 PM
Canyon Lake in Cali has some crazy rules.

- no ballast whatsoever
- boats can be no longer than 20' long, plus the bolt on swimstep
- you can only drive with the shore on your right (counterclockwise)
- only from dusk till dawn. Speed limit after dark is 5 mph
- only 3 skiers/boarders/riders allowed at a time
- 15 min. sets (no lie!) & then it's time to allow someone else to ski
- no tricks between the lighthouse & the main beach area (where everyone wants to show off to the bikinis)

Our lake isn't to far off from this.

-No Ballast
-Same boat length rules
-Must ski in the ski channel in counterclockwise direction
-There are stop lights at the boat ramp and the beach area, when they are green (starts @ 9am) you can ski, when they are yellow, no wake, when they are red, water is off limits (only happens twice a year for 2 days when they treat the lake)
-Only 1 skier behind the boat at once
- no limit on the sets
-no limit on the area of doing tricks. Someones gotta impress the slims!

sizzler
05-11-2005, 05:33 AM
we have designated jet ski lakes at our site,,also a designated windsurf/sailing and seperate fishing lakes......we keep ourselves to our selves....keeps everyone happy.......
our only restriction is that our boats have to be <21ft in length...no prob......couldnt afford an x-star over here anyhow.......
feel sure they will stop the music boats soon....i'll have to turn "the spice girls " down :dance:

clockwise skiing only and only four boats on the lake at anytime....we police it ourselves and it works ok

sbuell
05-11-2005, 11:39 PM
We are between two lakes. The small lake has a 10 hp limit except for special events. (They hold a barefoot tournament) The large lake has a long list of restrictions
- Length limit of 20'
- horsepower limit of 125 for outboards and I/Os
- counter clockwise rotation
- NO PWC!!!! :D
- No "wake enhancing devices"
- There is a list of approved tournament class boats listed by year, manufacturer and model.

erkoehler
05-12-2005, 12:04 AM
We are between two lakes. The small lake has a 10 hp limit except for special events. (They hold a barefoot tournament) The large lake has a long list of restrictions
- Length limit of 20'
- horsepower limit of 125 for outboards and I/Os
- counter clockwise rotation
- NO PWC!!!! :D
- No "wake enhancing devices"
- There is a list of approved tournament class boats listed by year, manufacturer and model.

No Barefoot 200's out there! :(

jraben8
05-12-2005, 01:36 PM
sbuell,

You sound like you are in the same place that I lived while I was in HS. Are you speaking of Lake St.Louis?

dmac
05-12-2005, 02:05 PM
Growing up we used to take trips to the Wisconsin Dells and go to Devil's Lake. We arrived one time to learn that they had shut it down to anything over 10hp. That was devastating at the time, who ever heard of such a thing.

I guess I am spoiled now as my lake is 2800 acres big and the restrictions are no boats with sleeping quarters or heads.

It will get choppy on a windy day but I can pull multiple kids on multiple toobs without worrying about it.

Rockman
05-12-2005, 02:07 PM
We have crappy ski hours on our lake due to this "summer camp." Our hours are 10-4 on the weekends and 12-5 on weekdays. This was to give the campers more time to screw around with their sailboats and canoes. But when do they come out? During ski hours! :mad: Any the worst part is, the kids DO NOT know how to navigate their sailboats or canoes. Needless to say all the skiers on the lake have tried to get this changed and this summer may be the time it happens. Too bad our lake board is run by a bunch of A**holes.

Kinda funny that a sign went up at the launch the summer we bought our boat "Speed Limit 50mph." Oh well, never saw a radar gun on our lake...Screw 'em! :D

Britt
05-12-2005, 02:48 PM
I water ski for the Northern Illinois University collegiate team and since we are basically out in a cornfield we have to drive quite a ways to find skiable waters. So far we have been skiing on the FOX river which allows everything and its almost impossible to ski when you have 25+ ft cuddie cabins and twin big block cigarette boats flying past you. So our only other choice has been to use a lake with a 150hp restriction for outboards. So we gingerly covered up the 200 hp decals on my Barefoot 200 and pull practice. So far havent been questioned!

erkoehler
05-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Rockman, you go the same crap on your lake as we have on ours. We have a Jewish camp on the lake, and they send the kids out in sailboats and canoes and they don't have a clue.

We ski around em, and make waves to tip em over if they get to close.

Britt
05-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Whats the name of some of these camps?? If they are in the Northwoods they are most likely an account of mine.

BTW erkhoeler... Im right in Minocqua nice to see that you are out in St Germain. Ever been to Golden Pines? I ski for the minocqua bats so if you want to do some jumping while you are up there let me know.

sbuell
05-13-2005, 12:20 AM
sbuell,

You sound like you are in the same place that I lived while I was in HS. Are you speaking of Lake St.Louis?

That would be it.

jraben8
05-13-2005, 08:50 AM
That was a great place to live! I can't imagine what it is like now after almost 15 years. We lived in the last house in the cove that backs up the hospital. The association didn't allow inboards on that lake at all until '83 because of the engine size.

erkoehler
05-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Whats the name of some of these camps?? If they are in the Northwoods they are most likely an account of mine.

BTW erkhoeler... Im right in Minocqua nice to see that you are out in St Germain. Ever been to Golden Pines? I ski for the minocqua bats so if you want to do some jumping while you are up there let me know.

Thats awesome, my brother is a JM this year for the bats. We were out with the club a couple different times last season for the jump clinic and what not. My brother was friends with some of the members, not sure who is still there. I will definetly be at a bunch of shows!

What is your real name? Watch for my boat, are you going to be up there for Memorial Day?

erkoehler
05-13-2005, 09:42 AM
The camp is named Camp Interlaken.

juju151
05-13-2005, 10:54 AM
I live on Lake Tare in Villa Rica, GA...it's a private ski lake but they limit boats to 20 feet, 35 mph speed limit, no ballasts of any kind...I hate the no ballast rule, but the payoff is that the water is smooth all the time. You just have to load the boat with as many people as you can to get the monter wake...

http://img31.echo.cx/img31/6752/laketara9yf.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

Britt
05-13-2005, 07:33 PM
Real name Britt Black. Is your brother Scott? Anyways I just bought this PS 200 and its a badass barefoot boat. If you need a pull sometime when you are up there let me know. My cabin is right on the chain between lake Tomahawk and lake Minocqua.

Britt

erkoehler
05-14-2005, 12:55 AM
No, my brothers name is Adam. This will be his first year as a JM.