PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use an Impeller Puller??

prostar205
11-10-2008, 02:50 PM
I was wondering if anyone has used one of those Jabsco Impeller Pullers to remove the impeller from their V-drive. I am so tired of scraping up my knockles trying to remove the impeller. Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.

erkoehler
11-10-2008, 02:58 PM
We change hundreds of these every year, never used one of these pullers. Two screw drivers and they come right out.

loeweb
11-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Never used. I guess If you are going to do a lot of them and have the money to waste knock yourself out. Otherwise get screwdrivers or paint can openers and be sure to grease the shaft every year and make it alot easier on yourself.

prostar205
11-10-2008, 03:07 PM
I've replaced the impeller on the boat several times since I've owned it (4 years now). Every year I curse at it and it takes well over an hour to get it out - along with some bloody knuckles. This year I'd like to save some time and my knuckles. Also, there is not alot of room to manuver flat bladed screw drivers since the engine is an L-18 and it sits in a X30. There just isn't alot of extra room to work back there.

ttu
11-10-2008, 03:10 PM
i have used a impeller puller for about 3 years and i do think it makes the job a lot easier with a vdrive.

flipper
11-10-2008, 03:18 PM
I don't remember what boat/motor/or who it was, but somebody here got the puller to find out there wasn't room for it.

bigmac
11-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Impeller pullers are a great tool if you have the clearance to use it on a V-drive. Paint can openers or screwdrivers are fine on a DD, but there is no practical way to lay on one's side and use those tools on a V-drive. Unfortunately, given MasterCraft's rather puzzling decision for placement of the muffler on my model V-drive, even an impeller puller won't work. As the picture illustrates, paint can openers are impractical as well. If you have a v-drive and your @#$%& muffler isn't in the way like this one is, I would most definitely go for an impeller puller.

http://mccollister.info/rwpumpclearance.jpg

flipper
11-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Impeller pullers are a great tool if you have the clearance to use it on a V-drive. Paint can openers or screwdrivers are fine on a DD, but there is no practical way to lay on one's side and use those tools on a V-drive. Unfortunately, given MasterCraft's rather puzzling decision for placement of the muffler on my model V-drive, even an impeller puller won't work. As the picture illustrates, paint can openers are impractical as well. If you have a v-drive and your @#$%& muffler isn't in the way like this one is, I would most definitely go for an impeller puller.

http://mccollister.info/rwpumpclearance.jpg

It was you, I thought so but wasn't sure

bigmac
11-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Yeh, I have to pull my impeller this way, by reaching over the @#$%& SilentMaster from behind.

http://mccollister.info/rwpumpvisegrip.jpg

Roonie's
11-10-2008, 05:51 PM
I squirt a little silicone in there first and turn it over a few times with safety lanyard disconnected. Then I used two needle nose pliers on both sides and grabbed a hold of the rubber flanges and slowly worked it out. Tried the paint can openers and that didn't work at all... didn't even budge it. Still with needle nose pliers took about 5 minutes of muscle and working it to come out. As I was laying on my side and chest I ended up with a big bruise on my side from laying on top of motor.

russlars
11-10-2008, 06:36 PM
I used to have a heck of a time getting my impeller out also -- until this year. Sprayed some WD 40 inbetween several of the tines, turned the engine over a few times, grabbed it with my needlenose pliers and it slid right out! I think it does help if you put a little rotational pressure in the opposite direction that it turns also. No bloody nuckles or choice words this time.:D

flipper
11-10-2008, 06:47 PM
I used to have a heck of a time getting my impeller out also -- until this year. Sprayed some WD 40 inbetween several of the tines, turned the engine over a few times, grabbed it with my needlenose pliers and it slid right out! I think it does help if you put a little rotational pressure in the opposite direction that it turns also. No bloody nuckles or choice words this time.:D

Well that takes the fun out of it:D

Jim@BAWS
11-10-2008, 06:55 PM
I was wondering if anyone has used one of those Jabsco Impeller Pullers to remove the impeller from their V-drive. I am so tired of scraping up my knockles trying to remove the impeller. Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.

Those pullers work AWESOME. Get one if you can. it does make it ALOT easier doing a v-drive motor. It also does not booger up the edges of the housing either.

Jim@BAWS

Topless67
11-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks for sharing the great pics.

My engine compartment looks quite similar.

topless67

prostar205
11-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Here are some additional pictures of the impeller on an L-18 engine setup. It appears I have more room than Bigmac's setup. I went ahead and ordered the Jabsco Impeller puller. It should be here by the end of the week.

Maristar210
11-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Some things, to me at least aren't worth the hassle.

Dealer charges less than an hours labor to do this so I save myself the trouble.

I'll do the other stuff and clean wax the thing but I let them handle that crap.

It was there already to fix / replace the drivers armrest which they covered under warranty, by the way...

prostar205
11-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Some things, to me at least aren't worth the hassle.

Dealer charges less than an hours labor to do this so I save myself the trouble.

I'll do the other stuff and clean wax the thing but I let them handle that crap.

It was there already to fix / replace the drivers armrest which they covered under warranty, by the way...

While agree with you in principle, that really doesn't work for me since my boat sits on my boat lift 12 months a year. I trailer it maybe twice a year during the summer for family trips. So, getting my trailer and loading the boat on it for just the impeller doesn't make a lot of sense for my situation.

Maristar210
11-16-2008, 09:31 PM
While agree with you in principle, that really doesn't work for me since my boat sits on my boat lift 12 months a year. I trailer it maybe twice a year during the summer for family trips. So, getting my trailer and loading the boat on it for just the impeller doesn't make a lot of sense for my situation.

I understand. Since mine goes to the dealer each fall for storage it makes it easy. I have heard enough stories about them to not even try it. I made it four years on one, just lucky I guess..

prostar205
11-16-2008, 09:35 PM
I understand. Since mine goes to the dealer each fall for storage it makes it easy. I have heard enough stories about them to not even try it. I made it four years on one, just lucky I guess..

I am starting to take the impeller out every winter becuase I smoked one last spring and it took me 5 hours to replace it. Digging out all the small rubber pieces from the cooling system was an absolute PIA. I now take it out (or attempting to take it out) every year.

vogelm1
11-16-2008, 10:21 PM
......when pulling mine this fall, one of the vanes had a tear in it. Only 60 hrs on the boat this season. I was just getting ready to go 'every other year' on the impeller, but this convinced me otherwise. For thirty bucks or so I guess it's good insurance.:cool:

P-hat_in_Cincy
11-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Yep!
Impeller puller thread with pictures. (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=22478&highlight=impeller+puller)

bigmac
11-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Never used. I guess If you are going to do a lot of them and have the money to waste knock yourself out. Otherwise get screwdrivers or paint can openers and be sure to grease the shaft every year and make it alot easier on yourself.

V-drive, V-drive, V-drive. For those that have a Direct Drive ski boat, YES, using the paint can openers would likely work fine. For those that have tried to change a stuck impeller on a V-drive, you already KNOW that the paint can openers have no applicability.

JMann
11-17-2008, 03:56 PM
You could probably buy a cheap small gear puller from an automotive or hobby store and save a couple of bucks. I have one I bought on e-bay for $4.99 on e-bay I'm going to try after seeing the picture.

2000XPSD
11-17-2008, 10:54 PM
i have the same setup as bigmac's...stupidest design ever! But what the hell are you gonna do. spray-crank-pull-spray-crank-pull...has worked for me so far when changing them out. antisneeze the shaft when you put it back in.

vegashomeexpert
11-18-2008, 11:46 AM
The impeller puller is a miracle tool. It takes all of the frustration out of the process and does not damage the housing or impeller. Used mine Sunday:cry:

prostar205
11-18-2008, 12:40 PM
I just ordered the Jabsco Impeller Puller from Ebay. It should be here in a few days. Can't wait to see this thing in action. No more bloody knuckles.

bigmac
11-18-2008, 01:06 PM
i have the same setup as bigmac's...stupidest design ever! But what the hell are you gonna do.

Well, one solution I've contemplated is ditching the Silentmaster and going with just straight pipes, either with inline glasspacks or baffled tips. Economically, the cost of that changeover would pay for about 4+ years of impeller changes at the dealer, so I'm not doing anything yet.

izzydog
11-18-2008, 01:52 PM
I use a Jabsco Puller, cost about $50 from West Marine website, and Worth every penny.

On my Maristar, it is next to impossible to get without it. Takes about 2 minutes with the puller, about 45 and lots of contortions without.

FrankSchwab
11-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Well, one solution I've contemplated is ditching the Silentmaster and going with just straight pipes, either with inline glasspacks or baffled tips. Economically, the cost of that changeover would pay for about 4+ years of impeller changes at the dealer, so I'm not doing anything yet.

Ever considered changing exhaust hose lengths to raise your muffler a few inches?

/frank

NeilM
11-18-2008, 03:32 PM
I use a Jabsco Puller, cost about $50 from West Marine website, and Worth every penny.

On my Maristar, it is next to impossible to get without it. Takes about 2 minutes with the puller, about 45 and lots of contortions without.

Agreed. Had one for several years. Works great.

bigmac
11-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Ever considered changing exhaust hose lengths to raise your muffler a few inches?

/frank

Yes, but more to the point, I have wondered why MasterCraft didn't do that when they built those boats.

georgea0731
11-18-2008, 08:44 PM
My inlaws are always wanting to know: what I want for xmas? So this year I put an impeller puller on it. I searched and got a wide range of prices, $45 - $70. Here's the cheapest I found:

JABSCO IMPELLER PULLER call 866 314 7827 or web http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Jabsco+50070+Small+Impeller+Pulley.html. Jabsco 50070 Small Impeller Pulley Product ID: JA1470-07 MFG ID: 50070-0040 Simple three stage operation easily removes the impeller. Removes the risk of expensive damage to the pump. Manufactured from corrosion resistant cast aluminum and stainless steel. Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours List Price $77.28 Our Price $45.95
2. Craftsman tools is always my second choice.

JohnE
11-18-2008, 09:28 PM
To be honest, I can't imagine wanting or needing an impeller puller. A shot of WD40 and a turn of the key with ( with the laynard safety pulled) and it comes out like butter.

jonkidd
11-25-2008, 03:35 PM
I made a tool to remove impellors, it works great..:)
I can send one almost anywhere in the U.S. for $15.00 (fifteen dollars) including shipping.
Email to
jonstair@yahoo.com (subject line impeller removal tool)
I check my email's every day and will get back very quickly to you
Also I used it on a boat with a ski pole in the way and no problems at all.

Thank you
Jon