PDA

View Full Version : Tower stabilizer bars

TallRedRider
11-10-2008, 12:01 PM
I am looking at a 2007 boat for sale that has the new tower on it, but I noticed that it does not include the stabilizer bars on the upper corners. The bars that connect the upright to the crossbar. Some of the guys on wakeworld tease MC for having those, in order to make the tower more stout, but I could care less as long as the tower does not wobble a lot. I am planning on some big speakers up there, so stability is very important to me.

My questions are this:

1. Are they really necessary?

2. Is the dealer the only place I can get them? And how much is the dealer going to beat me up for those?

Thanks in advance!

BOATNGUYNE
11-10-2008, 12:07 PM
What Model X series are you looking at ?

wakeX2wake
11-10-2008, 12:20 PM
most likely you will not be charged for getting the stabilizers... they will most likely charge you to put them on but i put mine on myself to avoid this charge...

it is most likely a personal call but i would go ahead and put them on to relieve any chance of spider cracking and undue stresses on the glass steel supports embedded in the glass

ChicagoX55
11-10-2008, 12:30 PM
they are not absolutely necessary but are nice to have. I dont think you will notice much different with out them. if you are going to tube off your tower or anyhting like that I would make sure to get them to insure you dont crack your welds.

erkoehler
11-10-2008, 12:32 PM
The braces are only available through your MC dealer.

JohnE
11-10-2008, 12:52 PM
From what I hear the braces really stiffen it up.

bbymgr
11-10-2008, 01:04 PM
I have a 2007 X1. I noticed a huge difference with the stabilizers on. I believe if you have a 2007 X-Star, you don't need them because of the tower diameter difference, or at least that is what my MC Dealer said. I didn't pay anything for my braces or the install. Again, my dealer said that MC covered everything.

dapicatti
11-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Big difference with and without. Much more stable with it. THe original owner should get them put on by their dealer prior to selling it.

wakeX2wake
11-10-2008, 01:06 PM
mine also much more stable with... gotta go back and do some tightening on the whole tower but was much more rigid when on

SaltwaterMC
11-10-2008, 01:09 PM
The X-Star NEEDS them as my tower welds cracked on my header before I had tower braces. Fortunately, it was replaced under warranty and braces were installed (also covered by MC) as soon as they were available.

TallRedRider
11-10-2008, 01:14 PM
The boat is an 07 X-45.

I would never tube from the tower, but the greater stress will be 50+ pounds of speakers when going through the chop.

Thanks for the thoughts!

I am buying the boat from a private party and I suppose that since it is more than 1 year old, MC does not HAVE to add them for me, or him. Right?

Are they hard to install?

BOATNGUYNE
11-10-2008, 01:43 PM
I would have him order them as I know MC will pay for it as he is the orig owner.... Not sure about the 2nd owner

erkoehler
11-10-2008, 02:05 PM
MC will probably cover the parts, not the labor.

Timbo126
11-10-2008, 03:17 PM
The braces are highly benificial. The tower without braces when going through rough water will sway side to side alot as well. I would recomend getting them installed.

bbymgr
11-10-2008, 03:29 PM

When did they change to not covering labor? When my dealer put mine on they showed me the Service Bulletin and it covered labor if your 2007 was made from July '06 to December '06. If it was made after December '06 then it covered parts only.

TallRedRider
11-10-2008, 03:57 PM
When did they change to not covering labor? When my dealer put mine on they showed me the Service Bulletin and it covered labor if your 2007 was made from July '06 to December '06. If it was made after December '06 then it covered parts only.

This particular 07 was made in March of 07, bummer.

ttu
11-10-2008, 03:59 PM
the braces were covered under warranty on my 07 x2. both parts and labor.

tr6coug
11-10-2008, 11:40 PM
This particular 07 was made in March of 07, bummer.

Mine was made in Mar '07 and the dealer offered to put them on, but I did it myself.
Install isn't hard.

I would definitely put them on even if it cost you a few bucks. With the added weight of the speakers that tower will sway all over the place without the struts.

Hoping for a better design in 2010...

Masternorth
11-11-2008, 10:43 AM

Does this apply to a 2008 X2 tower? Should I have the braces put in place?

Thanks

ttu
11-11-2008, 11:07 AM
from my understanding it only applies if you have tower speakers. could be wrong:confused:

Roonie's
11-11-2008, 11:27 AM

Thanks

Yes ask your dealer for them. The boat would have come with them on if it had tower speakers. Regardless ask for them...... Before I put tower speakers on mine swayed pretty good and was worried about cracking the gel coat at the mounting points. For sure ask your dealer for them!

TMCNo1
11-11-2008, 12:07 PM
From what I hear the braces really stiffen it up.

That's OK, I'll just find some cheap pills in a spam thread!:rolleyes::D

Michael Epp
11-11-2008, 12:43 PM
They were installed under warranty on my '07 X-15; much more stable;

MSOUCY-TT
11-11-2008, 01:09 PM

Thanks

Your braces are already here, and will be on when you will pick your boat in spring.
Michel

BHT
11-12-2008, 03:06 PM
I have a X1 and the service department at my dealership said they would not get them for me unless I had tower speakers installed. I have a question for anyone with a X1 that have the tower braces installed. I have to lower the tower every time to park my boat under the carport, do the braces make it more difficult to unlatch and lower the tower?

Roonie's
11-12-2008, 04:24 PM
I have a X1 and the service department at my dealership said they would not get them for me unless I had tower speakers installed. I have a question for anyone with a X1 that have the tower braces installed. I have to lower the tower every time to park my boat under the carport, do the braces make it more difficult to unlatch and lower the tower?

I have an 07 X2 with the braces and I am in the same situation lowering tower everytime to park it. No issues with mine what so ever. I personally like the braces and think they look good on the tower and are a part of it.

Masternorth
11-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Your braces are already here, and will be on when you will pick your boat in spring.
Michel

What a great dealer! He is looking after my boat without having to ask.

Thanks Michel!

BHT
11-12-2008, 05:54 PM
I really think it's BS from the dealer and plan on emailing MC for the request. Roonie's any chance you could post a close up pic of your tower braces?

Roonie's
11-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Roonie's any chance you could post a close up pic of your tower braces?

This is the only current pic I have right now....

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/DSC_0053-1.jpg

and another...

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/DSC_0051.jpg

BHT
11-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the pics. Now that I can see the braces installed it may be a problem with my bimini extension. Bummer!

Roonie's
11-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the pics. Now that I can see the braces installed it may be a problem with my bimini extension. Bummer!

Are you talking the new 08 bimini's? The braces work fine with the new 08's and they don't interfere. I know the 08's attach directly to the tower.

bbymgr
11-12-2008, 11:45 PM

BHT,

I have an X1 without any tower speakers and MC covered my braces. I'm not sure why your dealer won't get them for you. I don't have any problems taking the tower down with the braces. They don't have any affect at all.

BHT
11-13-2008, 02:16 AM
I had a bimini extension made and I don't have a good picture showing how much clearance there is on the side of the tower. This weekend I'll take a better picture and post it up here. Not really sure why the dealer is not helping me either. If I can confirm that the braces will still fit with my bimini I'm going to get a little more aggressive about getting them.

Roonie's
11-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Judging by that pic I don't think they would interfere with one another. The braces go from tower mount down to top of swivel rack. You can almost put a piece of cardboard up to test it and see. I think you will be fine.

BHT
11-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks Roonie's, It's going to be 90 degrees this weekend so I plan on having the boat and I'll take a pic and measure the clearance. Once I do that maybe you could check it against yours?

Roonie's
11-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks Roonie's, It's going to be 90 degrees this weekend so I plan on having the boat and I'll take a pic and measure the clearance. Once I do that maybe you could check it against yours?

I don't have access to my boat right now. It is in storage about 270 miles away. All I have is pictures.

bbymgr
11-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Mine is right out back in the shelter. What do you need measured? FYI...I don't have a Bimini.

BHT
11-14-2008, 12:44 AM
Thanks anyway Roonie's, wow 270 miles that's a long ways away! bbymgr when I look at the pictures of Roonie's tower braces I don't think my bimini extension would still fit. I thought if I post a pic and get some measurements between the bimini and tower you might be able to help figure out if the everything would work on mine.

bbymgr
11-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks anyway Roonie's, wow 270 miles that's a long ways away! bbymgr when I look at the pictures of Roonie's tower braces I don't think my bimini extension would still fit. I thought if I post a pic and get some measurements between the bimini and tower you might be able to help figure out if the everything would work on mine.

Just show me what you want measured.

BHT
11-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks I appreciate it!

BHT
11-18-2008, 11:24 PM
bbymgr I hope these pics will help to determine if the tower braces would fit. Line A is 2 1/2 inches and line B is 7 inches to the upper bolt on the wakeboard rack attachment. On the second picture I think the support arm would clear the brace.

bbymgr
11-18-2008, 11:55 PM
Already found a problem with line "A". My measurement has a gap of 1" between the tower leg and the brace. Then the brace is over 2" wide. That means you would need more than a 3" gap between the Bimini and the tower leg for the brace to fit. You show yourself as only having 2.5" gap. I don't think they would fit with that Bimini extension. I could be wrong. I would say that if you can get your dealer to get the braces for free, then you could be sure at no cost. Sorry.

BOATNGUYNE
11-19-2008, 03:59 AM
All 2007/2008/2009 Xseries Mastercraft's should have a set of tower braces so if you didnt get them contact your dealer for a set !!!!!!!!!!!

bbymgr
11-19-2008, 08:31 AM
All 2007/2008/2009 Xseries Mastercraft's should have a set of tower braces so if you didnt get them contact your dealer for a set !!!!!!!!!!!

In post #25, BHT said he had already contacted his Dealer about the braces. He said that the Dealer refused to get them unless BHT put on Tower Speakers. BHT might want to try a different Dealer.

BHT
11-19-2008, 10:01 AM
bbymgr if I could ask you to get a exact measurement of what it would take to clear the tower braces I'd sure appreciate it. I'm thinking I might be able to rotate the bimini attachment bracket and achieve more clearance.

BHT
11-19-2008, 10:15 AM
bbymgr on a different subject with your X1 when you first remove the boat cover is there a mild gas odor coming from inside the boat? I have one of the factory covers which fits very snug around the boat but the cover does have 2 air vents in it. During the summer I thought maybe the heat build up under the cover might some how be causing the problem. Cooler weather now and still the same odor. I've checked hose clamps and anything else I can get a wrench on and no luck. All of my other boats have had the fuel tank vent located on the outside of the boat but the X1 has it routed back to the gas tank fill port. I guess it would be called a closed system like a car is. Could that be the reason for some of the gas fumes to come from inside the boat?

BHT
11-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Just looking again at the pictures of roonie's boat (post #29) and I'm thinking that maybe the bimini extension arms would fit through the hole in the tower braces? That would be slick but just wishful thinking!

BOATNGUYNE
11-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Is this an after market Bimini top ? I have never seen that rear Bimini bracket before !

bbymgr
11-19-2008, 11:50 AM
BHT,

You need a minimum of 3.125" for line "A" for the brace to fit inside of the bimini extension bar. Your line "B" should be just fine because the brace goes up 9" before angling in and up to the tower speaker mount. So it should be above the bimini before moving in. On your question about putting the bar through one of the holes, that will be hit or miss. The holes are 1" in diameter with the center of the hole 2" out from the brace. It just depends on if it lines up with one of the holes vertically or not.

Concerning the fuel smell, I have the same ratchet cover and haven't noticed any fuel smell in mine. As for the reason of the smell, I'm not the guy to ask. There are a ton of people on here that know way more about these boats than I do. Maybe Sodar or JimN will see this thread and give you a reply. If not, you could always PM them.

wakeX2wake
11-19-2008, 12:19 PM
bimini top for hit or miss shade...? or tower not shaking...? bimini top...? or tower not shaking badly enough to possibly casue spider cracks in the gelcoat...? bimini top...? or tower not shaking so badly i have to tighten it back together every few weeks...?

if i were to make a modest suggestion... put the tower braces on then make the bimini top work for you... if you have a '07-'08-'09 tower design

Roonie's
11-19-2008, 01:03 PM
bimini top for hit or miss shade...? or tower not shaking...? bimini top...? or tower not shaking badly enough to possibly casue spider cracks in the gelcoat...? bimini top...? or tower not shaking so badly i have to tighten it back together every few weeks...?

if i were to make a modest suggestion... put the tower braces on then make the bimini top work for you... if you have a '07-'08-'09 tower design

Yes the braces were priority for me over everything else as I didn't want to have gel coat cracks all around the mounting points of the tower. I could see it now and MC saying sorry we offer the braces for this reason and you didn't get them.... good luck. Gel repair is only good for first year under their boat warranty.

BHT
11-19-2008, 03:39 PM
bbymgr thanks again for checking those measurements. Iím going to give the folks that made the bimini extension a call and see how difficult it would be to put a bend in the extension to go around the tower brace. Maybe itís not a big deal!

wakeX2wake I definitely do not want gelcoat cracks. My tower really doesnít move that much but Iím all for improving the rigidity of the tower if possible. The temps here in the summer are 105-115 degrees and the factory bimini really is a joke for shade. I agree with you that I should try and make it all work.

BHT
11-20-2008, 10:24 AM
I may have solved my dilemma with the bimini. While having a Margarita (or two) last night that small light in my brain came on, why not just move the bimini mounts to the tower braces! Any thoughts on why that wouldn’t work?

bbymgr
11-20-2008, 11:05 AM
I don't know if this will matter, but the Tower Braces move. They have a "ball pivot" at each end and move about 10 degrees either way from center.

wakeX2wake
11-20-2008, 11:38 AM
mine have a nut on the to lock them from moving... mine move none... i have a monkey arm friend who like to do pull ups on them...

BHT
11-20-2008, 11:56 AM
bbymgr if the braces can move wouldn't that defeat the purpose of trying to add more rigidity to the tower? I wonder if the X1 and X2 braces are designed differently?

wakeX2wake
11-20-2008, 12:29 PM
the ball joint is intended to make the braces fit all tower models... you get them in place and lock in by tightening the nuts...

if moveable they will still make the tower more rigid in the sense b/c they're still exerting forces in the directions that keeps the tower from moving side to side (for which they're intended)... the movement is in a rotational direction that is more of a personal nuisance that anything... and is correctable

bbymgr
11-20-2008, 03:02 PM
the ball joint is intended to make the braces fit all tower models... you get them in place and lock in by tightening the nuts...

if moveable they will still make the tower more rigid in the sense b/c they're still exerting forces in the directions that keeps the tower from moving side to side (for which they're intended)... the movement is in a rotational direction that is more of a personal nuisance that anything... and is correctable

My dealer installed mine and they still pivot. Should I have them tightened down?

wakeX2wake
11-20-2008, 03:16 PM
My dealer installed mine and they still pivot. Should I have them tightened down?

easy thing to just forget to do or they could have easily worked loose... yea get in there and check it and see if you can't tighten those things down where they don't/won't move

i go around my tower at least twice a yr and just put and allen wrench on every bolt on it to make sure its stays tight... but i'm a big guy and do a lot of yanking on the tower to so it might not be as necessary for someone who doesn't work it over as much as me and the guys i ride w/ do but i'd assumer that putting a boat through some chip chop water would have a worse effect on the tower...

ps i haven't seen a tower on a boat yet that didn't have to be tightened or at least checked at least once a yr

Roonie's
11-20-2008, 04:34 PM
yep mine has been tightened all around once all ready as it was getting slop in it.... excessive shake. Since the braces 100% improvement on mine.

BHT
11-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Well I'm not sure what changed from last June until now but I called my dealer's service department today and requested that they install tower braces on my boat. "No problem when can you bring it in" whoa! Ok I'll bring her right down! Maybe they read Team Talk too.

wakeX2wake
11-20-2008, 05:21 PM
NICE... now you're remembering why you bought a MasterCraft

Hollywood
11-21-2008, 11:30 AM
NICE... now you're remembering why you bought a MasterCraft

Because the tower wobbles?

wakeX2wake
11-21-2008, 12:22 PM
NICE......

I called my dealer's service department today and requested that they install tower braces on my boat. "No problem when can you bring it in"

the important parts of those statements

BHT
11-28-2008, 12:07 AM
Got the tower braces installed, they fit great and the bimini extension just fits! I'm a happy camper!

bbymgr
11-28-2008, 05:23 AM
Got the tower braces installed, they fit great and the bimini extension just fits! I'm a happy camper!

Congrats!!! You should notice a huge difference with them on.

BHT
11-28-2008, 11:15 AM
I have to say they do look pretty cool and feel more ridged than I thought it would. Glad I got them.

wilhelmwake
09-10-2013, 12:35 PM
I am thinking of buying a second hand 2007 x45 and it seems that the boat does not have the braces installed. Can I still get them installed if I buy the boat?

thatsmrmastercraft
09-10-2013, 01:42 PM
I am thinking of buying a second hand 2007 x45 and it seems that the boat does not have the braces installed. Can I still get them installed if I buy the boat?

Your local Mastercraft dealer might have an answer for that. If not, call Midwest Mastercraft 763-404-7372, they will have an answer.

FourFourty
09-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Just an FYI to anyone with an original ZFT-5P- Your dealer should be able to install braces on that tower as well. The original 5p didn't wabble that much, in fact, less than most other towers. However, with braces, I ran around the entire summer without hearing a single squeak, or rattle, out of it, no matter how rough the water was. Rock solid.