PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl for seats

AussieMC
11-10-2008, 01:05 AM
I know from prevoius threads that the seats on early 2000's MC's have issues of splitting from stitching. My 2003 197tt is just starting to split on the obeservers seat only. I also know that the skins are available for 2003 boats till June 2009. So my question is, am I better off trying to get some (perhaps a roll) of vinyl to match so I can get repairs done at a later date, as required, or forking out for a full set of seat skins? Keeping in mind that shipping to Australia could be a killer on all the seat skins, (and I don't know which ones I'll use). Can anyone tell me where I might be able to locate the supplier of the required vinyl? Is it GT Vinyl?

erkoehler
11-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Can't help you out with a vinyl supplier, but I would suggest ordering the skins that you feel you may need in the future.

Here in the States, having the original/OEM replacement vinyl installed in the boat is going to really help your resale value.

bigmac
11-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Yes, G&T makes the vinyl. There must be other suppliers in Australia, though, so you could buy the fabric locally and have it custom-made there. Otherwise, your best bet would be to buy the original skins from MasterCraft.

Here's G&T's website. You might be able to get fabric that's more closely matched from them.

http://www.gtglobalproductsolutions.com/marine/products.php5

TMCNo1
11-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Yes, G&T makes the vinyl. There must be other suppliers in Australia, though, so you could buy the fabric locally and have it custom-made there. Otherwise, your best bet would be to buy the original skins from MasterCraft.

Here's G&T's website. You might be able to get fabric that's more closely matched from them.

http://www.gtglobalproductsolutions.com/marine/products.php5

All I read was 2 pages, this is a employee owned company. I wonder which employee proof read the site? Using words like, endsless (endless), shjop (shop) as a start, I'm just sayin'!

bigmac
11-10-2008, 01:13 PM
All I read was 2 pages, this is a employee owned company. I wonder which employee proof read the site? Using words like, endsless (endless), shjop (shop) as a start, I'm just sayin'!
Illiteracy in written communication is a widespread problem, no doubt. I was certainly disappointed to read the owner's manual on my $60,000 boat and see a vast number of typos -- including inappropriate grammar, misspellings, and just plain wrong information. Even more disappointing is that very few of those errors were corrected in the 2005 owner's manual.

TX.X-30 fan
11-10-2008, 01:27 PM
I want the vinyl that is on the new boats, any way to get that for an 04????

Timbo126
11-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Yeah I have a 2003TT as well and my observer seat stiching is splitting. I was wondering If I could just replace the entire interior with an 08' interior maybe. I really want the non rip vinyl. I have a 2008 x45 and the vinyl is so much tougher and feels thicker then on my 197.

AussieMC
11-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the replies,
If I was to order skins, which ones should I get? I'm assuming the Observers seat, rear bench and rear hatch lids, what else? bow cushions?
Any dealers want to give me some prices with shipping to Morisset NSW Aust.

erkoehler
11-10-2008, 04:04 PM
In addition to the ones you mentions, I would get the motorbox and drivers seat.

east tx skier
11-11-2008, 10:33 AM
As to which ones to order, the seat bases and anything else that gets used as a step (whether you want it to or not). Motorbox, combing pads, and all the seat backs. They'll be discontinued before you know it. However, at that rate, I'd just find a reputable reupholsterer and have them do it. I bought a 10 year old boat that had two ripped seams, but it had nothing to do with the vinyl. Boat was stored on the water and the vinyl had rotted at the seams on two seat bases, observer's and driver's. When I read about newer boats that have seams splitting after only a few years, were it me, I'd be looking into my options as far as vinyl supplier goes. G&T has been putting vinyl in ski boats for a long time. I have it in my current 10 year old boat and, apart from one seat that was left inverted and thus, had some vinyl rot, the interior is in superb condition. Whatever they changed, I'm sure there are a lot of people who wish they would change it back.