PDA

View Full Version : Tandem Trailer tire replacement options

CottagerGreg
11-09-2008, 11:33 PM
I am looking to buy a trailer for my X-Star. The tires that are on the tandem trailer are old and starting to show cracks on the sidewalls.

I am looking to replace them with goodyear marathons but i've noticed alot of bad reviews of the quality of the tires.

What tire size brands are people using on their trailers? I assume the hardest part is getting the proper load rating?

Insight would be most appreciated.

erkoehler
11-10-2008, 12:23 AM
What kind of trailer are you putting under the boat?

JohnE
11-10-2008, 09:04 AM
My understanding is that there were a few years where the Marathons were falling apart. But that has not been a problem for at least a few years.

ncsone
11-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Carlisle makes a tire that is a heavier rated trailer tire than the Goodyear Marathons. They have a heavier ply rating and thus a heavier load rating. My local tire shop did not have much good to say about the Goodyears, which aligns with everything I have ever seen or heard about Goodyears. On my trailer, you could see deformations in the sidewalls in no time at all. I have the Carlisle's on their now and they have been real solid.

WakePowell
11-10-2008, 10:50 AM
I agree with ncsone. I have replaced several sets of Goodyear Marathons on my X45 trailer. Basically in a 14” size the Goodyear Marathons load rating is a C which is not sufficient for the weight on an X-45. An X-Star is not much lighter.

If Carlisle make a 14” tire with a D or E load rating I would go with them.

CottagerGreg
11-10-2008, 11:45 AM
This is a Mastercraft trailer.....

So I was seeing the load rating "c" tires... but I have read too many "horror" stories...

I would like to hear some more informaiton about the Carisles... do you know where they be sourced online?

ncsone
11-10-2008, 12:07 PM
I did not order mine online, but here is where I got mine - www.discounttire.com.

wakeX2wake
11-10-2008, 12:10 PM
if you really want a good trailer tire... we do this for our cattle and horse trailers... just take and look up the specs (most tire companies have them on their company website) for the size and brand you currently have on there... mainly outer diameter and width can be off but close... and then check into putting some nylon trailer tires on there instead of a steel belted radial... the tires will hold up much longer and deal w/ the abuse of the heavy weight from the star much better than a passenger tire w/ a high load rating

ncsone
11-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Just FYI - the tires (Carlisle) that I put on my MC trailer are trailer specific tires. Unfortunately, the boat is not here at the house or I would run out and look at the size, load rating, etc.

russlars
11-10-2008, 12:38 PM
What happened to the original trailer on that 40th?:confused:

CottagerGreg
11-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Trailer isn't standard btw...

Costs almost 9.5K and I opted out as I don't trailer all that often... maybe 4 times a year tops... oil changes and winter storage....

Goalie_ken
11-11-2008, 02:48 PM
I have had very good success with Maxxis tires. http://maxxistires.com/Industrial/Trailer/M8008-ST-Radial.aspx

Being in Arizona we have some extreme temperatures and these tires have held up the best on my Maristar 210 with tandem axle trailer. We tow about 2500 miles each year. I got them at Discount Tire.

kingwoodlee
10-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Was towing the X-10 back to boat storage last night after working on a few things. Saw a bulge on the sidewall of one of my tires and realized it was time to replace my 6-year old Marathons. (See picture) Went to buy some new tires today, and found out the Kumho's were on backorder from the factory, so I ordered a set of Maxxis which should be here tomorrow. I had just pulled my MC home from Lake LBJ 4 weeks ago (250 miles) and am glad I made it back home without destroying my tandem axle fender! For peace of mind, I am changing all 5 tires.

Thrall
10-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Get Kumho 857's. Only D rated 14" trailer tire I've found.