PDA

View Full Version : 09 MC Cruise

wakedoc
11-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Hi all. Have just taken delivery of our 09 X1, and we are trying to work out the MC Cruise. I have used the trusty search function, and have managed to find out that it appears the MC Cruise has been downgraded for 09 (and maybe 08). Before this, the control panel had 3 switches (on/off, speed/rpm, +/-) and the feedback from most users was that it worked reasonably well. Our control panel has two switches (on/off, +/-) and no LCD panel in the speedo. So the instructions from others that you turn on and set speed on the LCD don't work for us!

I have managed to make it work by holding at the desired speed and switching it on. Once locked in it seems to work ok, but when we're running approx 2000lb plus crew, I am struggling to get it to engage consistently. This post is in case I am doing something wrong!?!

My next option is to get zero off (as PP apparently won't work with our 09). I did drive a CC 210 with zero off yesterday and it ran pretty well (although we did lose satellites once in heavy cloud). Anyone with an 08/09 with instructions or hints for me??

Thanks

brianpt
11-09-2008, 10:58 PM
i have the 08 x1 got perfect pass hade a little trouble @ first then brought the manual on board and figured it out

H20skeefreek
11-09-2008, 11:54 PM
PP will work with it.

scramison
11-10-2008, 03:00 AM
You would think that the GPS units would have a backup to work the old way if they fail but I don't know much if anything about them. Anyone know if this is the case?

wakedoc
11-10-2008, 03:56 AM
Brianpt - no PP on this one, just the MC cruise - we are thinking of using zero off if we can't get cruise to work as we want.
h20skeefreak - are you sure?? I have read on this board that the ecm has changed for the 09s and there is no easy PP plug in (only for zero off) - but again, this is only what i have read.
scramison - this one isn't a GPS based unit, just the cruise that comes standard.

It appears that it functions like the rpm based cruise of a couple of years ago. Once it engages it holds pretty well. If the rider falls, then you start off again, it won't rev past the rpm that it was holding when engaged (ie - 23mph at approx 3300rpm, so when you accelerate from still, it wont rev past 3300, so takes a while to reach speed).

vision
11-10-2008, 08:03 AM
Wakedoc, I do not have experience with the 09 MC cruise, just the older version. As you say, yours sounds the same except no LCD screen to indicate the set speed or RPM.

The lack of a set speed or RPM indicator would make the cruise essentially useless. Does your 09 have any LCD indicator (depth gauge, clock, hours?) and if so, can you scroll between the readings? There must be a way to view the set value.

Certainly for riding, setting speed would be preferable to setting RPMs.

wakedoc
11-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Thanks guys. from what i could tell out on the water yesterday, it is purely rpm based. Once you have got it to engage (by holding the constant rpm you want - not the speed) every time you throttle up, it won't rev past the preset (ie - 3300rpm). to plane a little quicker I have just "+ed" about 4 times (increases by about 50rpm per press) and then "-ed" as the desired speed was approached. Works ok, but not as good as I was led to believe the was (based on the 07 and earlier owners comments). Unfortunately there wasn't any notice about the change that I could find, and my dealer had no idea about the change (he was as confused as I was - he last drove an 07 with cruise - all his other boats have had PP).

All other info I can find suggests that PP won't work without some major wiring mods, as the ecm is different on the 09s and there is no easy plug in. Due to the agreement between PP and Zero Off I think, the ecm is now directly pluggable (is that even a word??) to Zero Off. When I drove a Nautique a week ago with ZO I found it pretty good (much preferable to the MC cruise on our boat) and it looks like we will go that way. Just some info if anyone is looking at a non-VDIG 09 (PP is included with the VDIG boats).

ridehype4life
11-12-2008, 10:28 PM
that's a bummer. Our 06 MC cruise system works flawlessly with 2000+ lbs. Set speed (mph), nail the throttle, and within a couple seconds it usually locks in. Sometimes you have to give it some juice when driving tight turn arounds, but we've been happy enough with it to have no need to upgrade to a PP system.