PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Bend Oregon?

scramison
11-09-2008, 08:22 PM
So Im within a 1k dollars of the dealers asking price on this boat. I was wondering if I could paypal somebody gas money to check out this boat. It looks a little rough on the edges and I would like to know what Im getting into before driving all day to go look at it. Many of you have seen it on ebay.

Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190261987841&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

Topless67
11-09-2008, 09:30 PM
I just drove by Bend on my way to Reno to pick up an '02 X-Star.

I swapped a few emails with the owner of the boat (jim?) you are looking at and he seemed like a nice enough guy.

Where are you located?

Topless67

Topless67
11-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Something else to consider, depending on where you are coming from, there are at least two major passes you will need to go over and there might be snow by now.

J

sand2snow22
11-10-2008, 12:51 AM
Looks like a bank repo. There is a guy on here who has a X-45, I think he's near Bend, maybe he'll see this.

scramison
11-10-2008, 02:43 AM
Something else to consider, depending on where you are coming from, there are at least two major passes you will need to go over and there might be snow by now.

J

Good thinking I will make sure the weather is appropriate.

scramison
11-10-2008, 02:46 AM
I just drove by Bend on my way to Reno to pick up an '02 X-Star.

I swapped a few emails with the owner of the boat (jim?) you are looking at and he seemed like a nice enough guy.

Where are you located?

Topless67

Yea I agree Jim is a good guy. I talked with him for about 20 minutes and he was very forth coming with information. However, I would not like to drive that far and a problem arise when I get there that could have been prevented.

I live in Dallas, Texas.

How do you like the Xstar? How many hours and what did you pay if you dont mind me asking?

ORX-1
11-10-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm in Portland and will try to think of someone and let you know what I come up with.

ORX-1
11-10-2008, 12:21 PM
That is a great price. how many hours?

scramison
11-10-2008, 12:33 PM
just under 500 hrs. ORX I'm willing to pay a hundred bucks or so. I would feel much better knowing that it will work out before I get there.

Ski-me
11-10-2008, 12:46 PM
just under 500 hrs. ORX I'm willing to pay a hundred bucks or so. I would feel much better knowing that it will work out before I get there.

I bought my boat on Ebay as well so I'll share what I did.

I found someone else selling a Mastercraft locally (in your case, Bend, OR) and called him up. I told him I was looking at a MC in his area (unfortunately his model was not what I was looking for) and wondered if he could recommend a local mechanic that could check out a boat for me. I got lucky and the guy was very helpful. I called the recommended mechanic and he charged me $175 to check the boat out, do a compression test, look for damage, etc.

As a result, the boat checked out great and we went for it. I felt a lot more comfortable having a 3rd party look at the boat on my behalf.

As an FYI - be sure your guy keeps the results to himself. Unfortunately for me, the seller got wind of the great compression tests and posted it on the auction. It hurt me price wise because it gave everyone the benefit that the engine was OK.....at my personal expense.:mad:

I didn't realize until after the auction. I told them about it and they refunded back to me some money. Pretty nice gesture, I thought.

Good luck!

scramison
11-10-2008, 01:08 PM
So we met in the middle on the $1000 difference. I'm ready to go pick up this boat.

That is a good idea jeff. I will see what I can get figured out.

All I need is someone to check the engine and I will be good.

Ski-me
11-10-2008, 01:19 PM
So we met in the middle on the $1000 difference. I'm ready to go pick up this boat.

That is a good idea jeff. I will see what I can get figured out.

All I need is someone to check the engine and I will be good.

I was looking at a 94' 205 and the guy I called had a 205V.....pretty different boats. The auction was from a Pawn Shop too, so that helped with the price as well as the questionability!!:o

Fortuantely, it worked out great!

I placed the boat on "UShip.com" and paid $950 to ship it from Carson City, NV to Colorado Springs, CO.

If you go that route, don't jump on the first bid (my first one was around $1,600). Look at their feedback, insurance, etc. My guy was great and called about every 12 hours and gave me an update. He was keeping an eye on the hub temperature to be sure they didn't overheat. Something I didn't even think of. Good luck!

ORX-1
11-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Why not just go to craigslist and search boats for sale and call someone and offer them some cash to go check it out for you. if someone called me I would totally do it for them. and Bend is so small that it will only take a 15 min drive no matter how you look at it. Congrats though!

http://bend.craigslist.org/boa/

sand2snow22
11-10-2008, 03:08 PM
I think there is a Malibu dealer in Madras. Have him tow it there for an inspection. Well worth the $100-200 to put your mind at ease!

Ski-me
11-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Yea, ask this guy!?! :D

http://bend.craigslist.org/boa/906835577.html

scramison
11-10-2008, 09:55 PM
I would prefer to have a shop do a compression test on the motor. I found an excellent shop in Culver but he said its almost an hour from him and that he would prefer to take it somewhere closer to him. Than he started to mention some shops. My response was I wanted an independent shop and that I would prefer for him to take it to the shop I want it to go to. He said he understood and it would be much better if I could find a shop in Bend or Redmond Oregon. The only shops I can find are the ones he mentioned so what do I do now? Do I trust that everything will be legit or insist he take it to Culver? I talked to the Culver people and they really know their stuff as well as being friendly.

Here are the shops he mentioned:
All seasons R/V marine (ski centriun)
Bend R/V equipment repair
Redmond R/V marine

All of the places he mentioned were R/V shops because I think that is what he mainly deals with (R/Vs). He did also say that at the auction there was a inspection done and everything came back good. So what do you guys think I should do or what would you do in my situation?

sand2snow22
11-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Insist on taking it to the place in Culver, I think that is the Malibu dealer I was thinking of. It's right near the turn off to Lake Billy Chinook. If he wants to make a sale and has nothing to hide about the boat, he will tow it an hour! The dealer in Culver should be able to do a complete inspection with pictures for you!

scramison
11-10-2008, 10:46 PM
I agree sand. If he wants to sell the boat than he will take it to culver. I will talk to him in the morning and see what he says.

Topless67
11-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Yea I agree Jim is a good guy. I talked with him for about 20 minutes and he was very forth coming with information. However, I would not like to drive that far and a problem arise when I get there that could have been prevented.

I live in Dallas, Texas.

How do you like the Xstar? How many hours and what did you pay if you dont mind me asking?
I picked up the X Star in Reno, NV for $25K from the original owner with 63.1 hours on the boat.

It's pretty much stock with a Perfect Pass, Depth finder, shower, heater and tower speakers with an extra amp.

Near perfect condition with the exception of the steering cable (really stiff) that will probably need replacing according to a few of the fellas on this site.

You may have seen it on eBay. It was listed the same time the boat you are looking at was originally listed.

Good Luck,

Justin

scramison
11-11-2008, 01:57 AM
That is an incredible deal. Im jealous.

Ski-me
11-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Can you ask the shop in Culvert to send someone down to Bend to evaluate the boat on site? Pay for the travel time for the mechanic to make it worth while.

I see the auction has ended so he has already made the commitment to you.

Definitely recommend someone professionally to check it out.

Oh, by the way, we visited Bend 2 years ago for a wedding.....very cool place.

Carbon Dreams
11-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Culver is a Nautique dealer and a pretty good one at that...Culver is only 35 minutes from my house in Bend. If he doesn't want to take it there, I would suspect that he is expecting them to find something major.

Good Luck

ORX-1
11-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Culver is a Nautique dealer and a pretty good one at that...Culver is only 35 minutes from my house in Bend. If he doesn't want to take it there, I would suspect that he is expecting them to find something major.

Good Luck

Carbon Dreams why don't you go check it out for him! are you in Bend?

scramison
11-12-2008, 06:57 AM
Yea he doesn't want to take it there so Im waiting till he starts to itch a little bit. If he wont take it to culver I wont bother. Why would I do a inspection on a boat at a boat/RV place? Just doesn't make sense and questions arise in my head.

ORX-1
11-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Thats weird... If I had a buyer for my boat and all I had to do was drive an hour I wouldn't even question why.... again good luck.

sand2snow22
11-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Yea he doesn't want to take it there so Im waiting till he starts to itch a little bit. If he wont take it to culver I wont bother. Why would I do a inspection on a boat at a boat/RV place? Just doesn't make sense and questions arise in my head.

Red Flag. Something to hide. Sounds like he sells repo'd RV's and he wants you to take a boat to HIS RV dealer of choice?

wakeX2wake
11-12-2008, 01:05 PM
well you guys can say what you want but i always take my boat to an RV dealer for a second opinion before getting any work done...:confused:

scramison
11-12-2008, 11:34 PM
well you guys can say what you want but i always take my boat to an RV dealer for a second opinion before getting any work done...:confused:

hahahahaha

brucemac
11-12-2008, 11:59 PM
I picked up the X Star in Reno, NV for $25K from the original owner with 63.1 hours on the boat.

It's pretty much stock with a Perfect Pass, Depth finder, shower, heater and tower speakers with an extra amp.

Near perfect condition with the exception of the steering cable (really stiff) that will probably need replacing according to a few of the fellas on this site.

You may have seen it on eBay. It was listed the same time the boat you are looking at was originally listed.

Good Luck,

Justin

nice work! that's a great deal!

Carbon Dreams
11-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Carbon Dreams why don't you go check it out for him! are you in Bend?

Give me a link with some info on the boat and I'll see if I can go and look at it for you...I am in Bend.

PM me if you want.

ORX-1
11-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Give me a link with some info on the boat and I'll see if I can go and look at it for you...I am in Bend.

PM me if you want.

scramison you should take advantage of this!!!! Carbon Dreams thats cool that you are willing to go check it out. We haven't heard from scramison in a while so not sure what happened? Did you get the boat? fill us in!

scramison
11-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Yea it was sold shortly after Carbon posted up. Atleast Im pretty sure because it was listed on ebay again and then taken off before the auction ended saying item no longer available. I have been looking at boat trader though and everyone is asking in the 30-35K range for a nicer condition X-2. I figure that prices will drop after those have been on the market for long enough and the owners have to sell them. Besides I only see more Repos in the future.

Slinkyredfoot
11-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Where is Bend Oregon? Anywhere close to Ashland, Grant's Pass, or the Rogue River in the south? Have a few friends is this area....just curious....;)

ORX-1
11-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Where is Bend Oregon? Anywhere close to Ashland, Grant's Pass, or the Rogue River in the south? Have a few friends is this area....just curious....;)

Bend is in Eastern Oregon. about 3 1/2 hours from Portland to the east. Its a lot more North than Ashland and Grants Pass, they are towards the end of the state near the CA boarder.

sand2snow22
11-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Bend is in Eastern Oregon. about 3 1/2 hours from Portland to the east.

Or Central Oregon :D

ORX-1
11-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Or Central Oregon :D

okay if you want to get specific! haha

sand2snow22
11-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Still for sale!

http://bend.craigslist.org/boa/906835577.html

jeverett
11-19-2008, 07:26 PM
scramison:
I am in Bend as well and would be happy to help out any way I can, send me a pm if you want.

brucemac
11-19-2008, 08:03 PM
wonder what's wrong with it

tr6coug
11-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Any new info on this one? A friend of mine is interested in it...

sand2snow22
11-30-2008, 09:49 PM
I think it sold to a guy here in Portland, not 100% sure. He was having trouble getting a loan.

scramison
12-01-2008, 08:17 PM
yea for sure gone I called and it sold. Was pretty rough around the edges, though it was a good deal, I questioned its mechanical condition.