PDA

View Full Version : What's the tripod

Farmer Ted
08-12-2004, 12:15 PM
thing on boats pictured in Waterski Magazine.

There's a yellow MC with some sort of contraption mounted to the windshield and a CC with the same thing.

It looks almost like a camera but it's too small, is this some sort of GPS to ensure the course was run with-in limits, time or tracking?

T

east tx skier
08-12-2004, 12:38 PM
Tim, what issue?

atlps190
08-12-2004, 01:50 PM
I thought those things were to gauge the boat deviation from the centerline of the course - in conjunction with the end course camera(s). I think there is some acceptable tolerance that the boat can move from side-to-side.

-Todd

Ric
12-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Deviation is when your boat does this.
;)

baedriver
12-01-2005, 11:51 AM
That water is awesome where is that. What I would do to have that in backyard.

ski_500
12-01-2005, 12:13 PM
I was also wondering about these gizmos. All the "Brand -X" towboats at the master's had them (see attachment).

So what's exactly is it ???

ski_500
12-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Correction,
I didn't see the tripod on the wake-boat, or the one that was pulling the jumping.

Ric
12-01-2005, 12:17 PM
They've been running them for a few years in the pros but they are basically a tracking sensor system for record capable tournaments

88 PS190
12-01-2005, 12:44 PM
off topic sorta, how long do you think it'll be until those systems follow a laser or similar down course and use it to make small adjustments to boat path.

Instead of just using it to say the boat was off after the run.

ski_500
12-01-2005, 12:56 PM
O.K.
So, how do they work?
Is it a laser based system or some other technology?
What kind of tolerance is tracked? I thought the standard was defined by the boat guides.

Ric
12-01-2005, 01:10 PM
O.K.
So, how do they work?
Is it a laser based system or some other technology?
What kind of tolerance is tracked? I thought the standard was defined by the boat guides.
I certainly don't know how it works
Boat path tolerance is like 20cm (or something like that, check usawaterski.org)

PendO
12-01-2005, 02:14 PM
with a thread title like this one ... it really could have gone in a different direction!

Cloaked
12-01-2005, 02:43 PM
They've been running them for a few years in the pros but they are basically a tracking sensor system for record capable tournaments...and scoring when one gets into 1/4 point increments.

rodltg2
12-01-2005, 02:47 PM
you guys are all wrong , thats a small camera used to secretly take pics of hot girls on the shore.

PendO
12-01-2005, 02:50 PM
If you ask me it is pretty lame looking ... now if you could put a .50 cal on the bow I might have gone with the 190 over the 197 ... definitely would help to protect the glass waters!

ski_500
12-02-2005, 07:47 AM
I don't know...
I think the 197 would be a better platform for the .50 cal.
The walk-through window would be a must!

Jim@BAWS
12-02-2005, 08:28 AM
with a thread title like this one ... it really could have gone in a different direction!

It is a special device invented in late 2005 to help people like Dr. Jim navigate the course. The device measures by bi-polar satelites the distance between bouys. That info is fed by wireless computer to NASA in Florida and then analized at AWSA headquarters to determine course accuracy. It does take into effect the curvature of the earth then divides it by your location. Being that Wisconson is farther from the equater the sensor did not pick it up. Also because the water is colder up there thus more dence. If you need more info visit www.malibuspew.com. I am sure that they probably invented and patented it first.

Hope this helps
Probably not very much

Jim@BAWS

Datdude
12-02-2005, 11:04 AM
It is a special device invented in late 2005 to help people like Dr. Jim navigate the course. The device measures by bi-polar satelites the distance between bouys. That info is fed by wireless computer to NASA in Florida and then analized at AWSA headquarters to determine course accuracy. It does take into effect the curvature of the earth then divides it by your location. Being that Wisconson is farther from the equater the sensor did not pick it up. Also because the water is colder up there thus more dence. If you need more info visit www.malibuspew.com. I am sure that they probably invented and patented it first.

Hope this helps
Probably not very much

Jim@BAWS

Too Funny :uglyhamme

SteveO
12-02-2005, 11:23 AM
. If you need more info visit www.malibuspew.com. I am sure that they probably invented and patented it first.

Hope this helps
Probably not very much

Jim@BAWS

Okay, who else click on the "link"? Good one Jim.