PDA

View Full Version : Lake Hartwell GA Way Low - Got Lake?

edeckerpc
11-09-2008, 07:37 PM
2003 to today photo compare....

How low can GA lakes go???

:confused:

edeckerpc
11-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Yes those are trees to the back left of the first photo. This week Hartwell hit a low of down 20 feet...

JohnE
11-10-2008, 08:27 AM
That is crazy......

zberger
11-10-2008, 09:32 AM
i thought they did this for a reason.........

lanier92prostar
11-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Lanier might hit 20 by the end of the month.

GASouthernMC
11-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Its horrible on Hartwell right now. Where we're at, the only kind of boat you would want to take out is a canoe. I can't even get my bass tracker in the water these days.

abwx2
11-10-2008, 02:12 PM
wow man tht very low in n.c. right now our lakes wer low about 5 feet but now they are above normal ....(what the east coast needs is a good tropical storm with lots of rain.)

cbryan70
11-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Was there a couple months ago. It wasnt 20 feet low but it looks sad. Getting scary out there now I bet

JMann
11-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Here in Califorina our lakes are so low some marina's were making people pull there boats out for fear they would touch the bottom while docked.

http://cbs13.com/local/Folsom.Lake.Water.2.482150.html

We really need some good storms this winter to fill our lakes back up.

TMCNo1
11-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Here in Califorina our lakes are so low some marina's were making people pull there boats out for fear they would touch the bottom while docked.

http://cbs13.com/local/Folsom.Lake.Water.2.482150.html

We really need some good storms this winter to fill our lakes back up.

That was in 2007, what's it like this year, 2008?

TX.X-30 fan
11-10-2008, 07:46 PM
681 is pool, we are at 656. Still way good to go but we need some water for next year. Dryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy summer.

Sorry, Lake Travis

cbryan70
11-10-2008, 07:55 PM
We had more water then we could handle this year. :-)

lanier92prostar
11-10-2008, 07:58 PM
We had more water then we could handle this year. :-)

Send some of it to us next year. :D

cbryan70
11-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Steal it from bull shoals, when i was there they were 40 somthing feet high

Wake Faller
11-10-2008, 09:15 PM
edeckerpc-

Bummer about Hartwell - Lanier is the same way. If you need somewhere to ride, I am happy to give you a pull sometime, we are on Lake Sinclair - an hour and a half south of you - and 18,000 acres of full pool - as always. Check out Team Hyperlite riding there a while back -> http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=16997487

The issue is only partly the weather - more so the management policies of the corps. Sinclair is a GA Power Lake. It is also part of a closed loop generation circuit with Lake Oconee. The Oconee river fills lake Oconee and they generate over the Oconee dam into Sinclair - they then pump from Sinclair back up into Oconee and they do it all over again (don't ask me how the physics work - still doesn't make sense to me).

Net / net is that we see about 18 - 24 inches of fluctuation on a daily basis. If it goes below that, they cannot pump back up from what I understand.

It also makes it so we can have fixed docks and boathouses. The only real downside is that the water isn't always as pretty green as it is on Hartwell.

The best part though is the lake is largely unknown which makes for some killer deals on lake property -> http://www.lakehouse.com/search.php?cid=221&s_res=AND . It amazes me that there aren't more people flocking there yet with the drought issues - rarely crowded on weekends (only Memorial Day, the 4th, and Labor Day) - and you rarely see another boat during the week (maybe I should keep my mouth shut :D). Some of the smoothest butter I have ever seen.

Anyway, hit me up if you want to check it out sometime.

Cheers,
Craig

GASouthernMC
11-11-2008, 01:03 PM
edeckerpc-

Bummer about Hartwell - Lanier is the same way. If you need somewhere to ride, I am happy to give you a pull sometime, we are on Lake Sinclair - an hour and a half south of you - and 18,000 acres of full pool - as always. Check out Team Hyperlite riding there a while back -> http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=16997487

The issue is only partly the weather - more so the management policies of the corps. Sinclair is a GA Power Lake. It is also part of a closed loop generation circuit with Lake Oconee. The Oconee river fills lake Oconee and they generate over the Oconee dam into Sinclair - they then pump from Sinclair back up into Oconee and they do it all over again (don't ask me how the physics work - still doesn't make sense to me).

Net / net is that we see about 18 - 24 inches of fluctuation on a daily basis. If it goes below that, they cannot pump back up from what I understand.

It also makes it so we can have fixed docks and boathouses. The only real downside is that the water isn't always as pretty green as it is on Hartwell.

The best part though is the lake is largely unknown which makes for some killer deals on lake property -> http://www.lakehouse.com/search.php?cid=221&s_res=AND . It amazes me that there aren't more people flocking there yet with the drought issues - rarely crowded on weekends (only Memorial Day, the 4th, and Labor Day) - and you rarely see another boat during the week (maybe I should keep my mouth shut :D). Some of the smoothest butter I have ever seen.

Anyway, hit me up if you want to check it out sometime.

Cheers,
Craig

The way I understand the situation with Sinclair and Oconee is that they pump at night, when power usage is low and they generate power during the day when demand is high. There should be a net loss of energy in the process, but they get the power in the grid when it is needed most. Although Plant Branch probably creates more power than the Oconee dam.

edeckerpc
11-16-2008, 11:50 AM
I've never checked out Sinclair. If Lanier and Hartwell continue to drop I might not have a choice. Homes there seem much more reasonable than Lanier too.

We dry stack at Lazy Days on Lanier and my wife's family has the house on Hartwell. She was up there yesterday and it's dropped another 2 feet from the original pics in this thread. Looks like Hartwell is losing about a foot a week now. No one is boating on Hartwell up the Tugaloo river side - even the fishermen.

Lazy Days blocks off the slips that are too shallow to dock in. Last time I had the boat out, there were 5+ slips blocked off. Guessing it's much worse now - I don't want to see.

If it keeps dropping I will have to find another solution. I'm not going to continue paying for dry stack if they don't have enough slips with deep water. I'm also not going to risk hitting trees in 15' of water and ripping up the bottom of my boat/prop.

Here's to trailering and traveling to places with water. Have boat will travel :toast:

lanier92prostar
11-16-2008, 01:45 PM
I've never checked out Sinclair. If Lanier and Hartwell continue to drop I might not have a choice. Homes there seem much more reasonable than Lanier too.

We dry stack at Lazy Days on Lanier and my wife's family has the house on Hartwell. She was up there yesterday and it's dropped another 2 feet from the original pics in this thread. Looks like Hartwell is losing about a foot a week now. No one is boating on Hartwell up the Tugaloo river side - even the fishermen.

Lazy Days blocks off the slips that are too shallow to dock in. Last time I had the boat out, there were 5+ slips blocked off. Guessing it's much worse now - I don't want to see.

If it keeps dropping I will have to find another solution. I'm not going to continue paying for dry stack if they don't have enough slips with deep water. I'm also not going to risk hitting trees in 15' of water and ripping up the bottom of my boat/prop.

Here's to trailering and traveling to places with water. Have boat will travel :toast:

Next summer, trailer to Carters and Burton. Easy drives from Lanier area and usually plenty of water in both.