PDA

View Full Version : Steering Problem X-Star, 2002

Topless67
11-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Hello,

I just picked up a 2002 X-star from the original owner (61.3 hours).

Everything on the boat and trailer reflect these low hours except the steering. It is a total arm work out to turn the rudder. The boat was last used by the original owner this past August.

Is this normal?

No kinks in the control cable. Appears to be rack and pinion steering and the zirk fittings all appear to be greased properly.

The only thing I haven't done yet is disconnect the linkage at the rudder control horn to see if the rudder is stiff.

Any suggestions or is this the way it is supposed to be? I'm used to I/O's.

Thanks,

Topless67

cbryan70
11-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Should be smooth. Grease everything up including the rudder. If its still stiff replace the cable.

03 35th Anniversary
11-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Time for a new steering cable.....

One day they are good the next day they are bad. Not really any in-between.

I had to put one in my 03 this past summer.

Topless67
11-09-2008, 01:36 PM
I will try re greasing all the zirks... If this doesn't work, I will replace the cable as you folks suggest.

Is the replacement cable replacement fairly straight forward for a DIY? Does it have to be a Mastercraft part or can I shop it at Overtons or other places.

Do you replace the rack as well or just the cable?

Thanks,

Topless67

03 35th Anniversary
11-09-2008, 01:43 PM
I will try re greasing all the zirks... If this doesn't work, I will replace the cable as you folks suggest.

Is the replacement cable replacement fairly straight forward for a DIY? Does it have to be a Mastercraft part or can I shop it at Overtons or other places.

Do you replace the rack as well or just the cable?

Thanks,

Topless67

I can't remember how much it cost, but Chicago MasterCraft replaced mine and it wasn't that expensive.

cbryan70
11-09-2008, 02:18 PM
Skidim.com has them. I dont know about a Vdrive but the direct drive is about an hour DIY. Just pull the new cable through with the old cable

Topless67
11-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Thanks for your help.

J

kal_dude
11-11-2008, 03:56 PM
hello, if you are going to purchase your item online, go through my webportal, boaters world, overtons, the house boardshop, ebay, tillys, ccs, vans, HSS, and about 2500 others are partner stores, now you can get rewarded for shopping at the stores you are already shopping at!!! goto my portal, and register as a preferred customer (its free) look and see what stores you shop at that you can get rewarded with free exclusive products now?!?

thanks,
kal
www.marketamerica.com/kaldude

p.s. post some pics. of your boat!! i have a 02 xstar also!!

Topless67
11-15-2008, 03:10 AM
Thanks Kal...

I plan on working on it this weekend and if I end picking up a new cable, I will definately go through your site.

J

kal_dude
11-15-2008, 11:03 PM
THANKS!!!! make sure you register as a preferred customer, so you get credit for the reward points!!

have a great day!!!
send pics of the boat!!!

kal

Topless67
11-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Kal,

I will...

Quick question on our boat.

When winterizing, the MC manual shows three valve knobs for the ballast system that needs to be turned one way or the other.

For the life of me, I cannot find these valves anywhere. Are they behind a service panel that needs to be removed?

Also, where are the ballast pumps located?

I found two pumps under the bench seat. One says, "heater pump" and the other says, "ballast pump". Shouldn't there be a pump for each ballast tank (3)?

I disconnected the hoses to the one pump I can find. Are there two more stashed somewhere?

Please let me know if you have time.

thanks,

topless67

bainez23
11-16-2008, 09:56 PM
the two rear ballast are located at the rear on each side of the transom

kal_dude
11-17-2008, 12:22 PM
the valve is on the floor where the engine is, it is a plastic valve with red handle, if you look where the pick up draws water thru the floor of the boat and follow that to the valve, also there is a manifold on the pass side of the boat where it seperates where the water goes, the 2 pumps on the rear of the boat are covered up by an interior panel.

hope this helps,
have a great day!

kal

Topless67
11-19-2008, 12:07 AM
Kal,

Very helpful.

I saw the red handled valve on the engine bay floor and figured that's what is was but I was just looking for the valves pictured in the service manual which must be for another model or year.

I suspect flipping the red handle 90 degrees most likely closes the valve.

When winterizing, do you normally disconnect the hoses leading to the ballast pumps?

I also saw a service bulletin that shows a tech back feeding anti freeze from the exit port on the side of the boat. Is this necessary in your opionion.

I live in Seattle where the winters are fairly mild with only a few days in the twentys.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Topless67

erkoehler
11-19-2008, 12:16 AM
If you get below freezing, you will want to run antifreeze through your ballast pumps. There are various methods to do this, but it is cheap insurance on a very expensive pump.

kal_dude
11-19-2008, 11:28 AM
yes if you turn the handle on the valve 90 degrees it will close the valve, its just a standard ball valve. also i don't think you have to put antifreeze in the ballast tanks (i do because i am anal that way) but if they are empty and there is any water in them when it freezes its not going to crack the tank like it would in a sealed container. i take the covers off the ballast pumps and pull the impellers out, since if there is any water in there it will cause a problem!! it gives you a chance to inspect your impellers anyways!! the covers are sealed with an o-ring so you don't have to buy a new gasket in spring, the raw water pump on the other hand has a gasket, but you should check/replace that impeller every year anyways, and that gasket is cheap. hope this helps???? i always blow air thru my exhaust manifolds also to make sure theres no water in them either!

kal

flipper
11-19-2008, 11:36 AM
I got mine from Chicago MasterCraft and the shipped it to me no problem. I wanted to make sure I got the right part, and the price wasn't much more. Pretty easy to install for a DIY. Search around here, you'll find a few threads on it. Try grease first though. If that doesn't work, replace the cable ASAP. I tried to make mine last to the end of the season, and ended up with a broken cable on a Friday night of a long weekend.

Topless67
11-19-2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks...

I will try to hunt them down this weekend and disconnect the hoses to the pump in preparation for winter.

topless67

Topless67
11-19-2008, 11:52 PM
Good advice.

Topless67
11-19-2008, 11:56 PM
I got mine from Chicago MasterCraft and the shipped it to me no problem. I wanted to make sure I got the right part, and the price wasn't much more. Pretty easy to install for a DIY. Search around here, you'll find a few threads on it. Try grease first though. If that doesn't work, replace the cable ASAP. I tried to make mine last to the end of the season, and ended up with a broken cable on a Friday night of a long weekend.
Good advice.

I may have found the appropriate cable on eBay for $65.00 but will verify the part number with my local MC dealer.

Thanks,