PDA

View Full Version : Strut bearings/bushings or cutlass bearing

wpauling
11-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Just a quick post to show wear on a strut/cutlass bearing, shaft wear, and some of the changes MC has made in regards to the replacement bearing. The new one is larger in length and brass material shroud.

Just a reminder to the new owners, have your MC mechanic check your strut for alignment and possible wear per the prescribed maintenance schedule. The pics show the difference between the new and worn part, the third picture depicts the wear on the shaft, and the final pic is an orientation photo for those of us still learning.

JimN
11-09-2008, 10:33 AM
When did they change to a plastic bearing? A dealer should know that this should be checked whenever the boat is in for service and it's on the trailer.

Also, there is usually an upper bearing and a lower. The worn one was left in far too long and while I don't want to point fingers, this is one reason boat owners should take their boat in, occasionally. Many boat owners want to do their own service, for a variety of reasons but they don't have access to the same amount of information as a dealer's service department/tech. For this reason, some service steps are not addressed and can lead to failures of the boat's components and systems.

That shaft will be replaced, right?

wpauling
11-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Jim,

Not sure when they went from plasic to brass, but the MC mechanic showed me the difference when I had it in for the hourly services.

Watching what they have to do is quite a process. Too may things can certainly can affect other parts of the drive train system. I agree there is many items best left for the MC mechanics!

wpauling
11-09-2008, 10:59 AM
That shaft will be replaced, right?

Yes it was.

TOO-TALL
11-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Just a quick post to show wear on a strut/cutlass bearing, shaft wear, and some of the changes MC has made in regards to the replacement bearing. The new one is larger in length and brass material shroud.

Just a reminder to the new owners, have your MC mechanic check your strut for alignment and possible wear per the prescribed maintenance schedule. The pics show the difference between the new and worn part, the third picture depicts the wear on the shaft, and the final pic is an orientation photo for those of us still learning.

You have a 08 X-star..correct.
How many hours?

XPC Sealman
11-10-2008, 07:22 AM
For those of you new to these strut bearings they are called Vesconite Hilube bearings. They are superior to the rubber/brass bearings of old. The traditional bearings needed a shaft diameter to bearing length ratio of 4:1. The Vesconite can handle a much lower ratio (even less than what is used). These bearings are very quiet and they are the premium in marine drive bearings. The photo shows a bearing that is in need of replacement without a doubt. I can tell you if it were a rubber bearing in that same position the shaft would have been shot! This boat had some obvious alignment issues. These bearings last longer, are easy on the shaft wear and are much quicker to service. The coefficient of friction on the rubber bearings is around .36 and this Hilube is around .09 this all relates to less friction and a smoother more quiet drive system. The difference in length is not an issue.

93Prostar190
11-10-2008, 07:32 AM
Yep. ..... the newer bearing is what came on my 08 PS214 ... so it looks like the dealer who did this repair opted to go with the more traditional brass and rubber setup. Both work well but both setups require proper shaft alignment to be within spec or unusual and premature wear will result.

wpauling
11-10-2008, 04:06 PM
You have a 08 X-star..correct.
How many hours?

I had 26-29 hrs on the boat at the time.

JimN
11-10-2008, 05:09 PM
"I had 26-29 hrs on the boat at the time."

That tells me the dealer didn't do everything on the pre-delivery setup list. Sorry, but I have a hard time with dealers who avoid such a major step.

TOO-TALL
11-10-2008, 10:23 PM
I had 26-29 hrs on the boat at the time.

Thats Total B.S. Nothing should just wear out with only 29 Hrs. I would be pissed!!!

wpauling
11-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Too -Tall

I certainly got a wakeup call and gaining confidence with this MC Mechanic that spotted the problem during service. The new local MC dealer that fixed the alignment issue is not the dealership who origionally sold it to me. The MC mechanic takes the time to go over everything he did in the service and shows me on the boat if I don't understand.

TOO-TALL
11-11-2008, 12:08 AM
Thats great to hear.
I enjoy talking to mechanics and them telling me why this happened and this is what they did to fix it.
Again glad to hear its fixed right and your back on the water.

JimN
11-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Too -Tall

I certainly got a wakeup call and gaining confidence with this MC Mechanic that spotted the problem during service. The new local MC dealer that fixed the alignment issue is not the dealership who originally sold it to me. The MC mechanic takes the time to go over everything he did in the service and shows me on the boat if I don't understand.

Is it time to say which dealer took care of the problems?

XPC Sealman
11-13-2008, 07:15 PM
The Vesconite bearings are tested to out-last the traditional bearings (when properly aligned) up to 10X. There had to have been a serious alignment issue there. The one thing that the Vesconite does not show you (unlike the rubber bearings) is that when the alignment is off you can still turn the propeller quite freely due to the minimal friction.

Davo
11-25-2008, 08:55 AM
good info, guys.

is this bearing something I should be monitoring on my '02 X-5 (basically a direct drive 190)....or only if/when I notice vibrations related to the drive train?

I've got over 600 hours on the boat.

JimN
11-25-2008, 09:01 AM
The alignment is supposed to be checked every 100 hours, or immediately after any impact to the prop.

Davo
11-25-2008, 11:26 AM
The alignment is supposed to be checked every 100 hours, or immediately after any impact to the prop.

thanks, Jim - so the bearing will not be an issue unless the alignment should be off for some reason to cause wear on the bearing or will the bearing wear under normal conditions and need replaced periodically?

how's about a visual check on the alignment - worthless? 8p

no impacts to speak of....original prop and only minor wear.

93Prostar190
11-25-2008, 11:37 AM
With the older rubber/brass bushings you could feel the play a bit from side to side if you pushed on the shaft below the boat .... but that was not a very scientific test since that much play clearly meant it was time to replace the bushing ... on the newer style, I am not surprised that you are going strong ... but I would probably consider 500-600 hours time for a preventative replacement.

You should check your shaft alignment with a feel gauge at least once per season also.

Some folks didn't realize that the drivetrain was in need of a replacement bushing until they actually do the replacement and the boat feels better.

Happy Thanksgiving.

93Prostar190
11-25-2008, 11:43 AM
oh yeah one more thing ... relating back to the beginning of this thread ... I would rather have the new style bearing than the old traditional rubber/brass setup .... especially on a newer boat since that is what is coming from the factory nowadays as standard equipment.

On my old 93 Prostar with PS, I replaced the older style with the Vesconites on that boat.

Davo
11-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the info, 93!

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well and peace out brudda.

JimN
11-25-2008, 06:25 PM
thanks, Jim - so the bearing will not be an issue unless the alignment should be off for some reason to cause wear on the bearing or will the bearing wear under normal conditions and need replaced periodically?

how's about a visual check on the alignment - worthless? 8p

no impacts to speak of....original prop and only minor wear.

The propshaft will skew in one direction or another if the strut is wacked. Assuming the strut is aligned, the motor would need to be aligned after the strut or if there's enough range, the order can be reversed. Either way, the propshaft alignment needs to be checked regularly.

If it's bad enough, it will show up visually but generally, since you can't see all the way around the shaft, it's not the best way.

"No impacts to speak of"- either it has had impacts, or it hasn't. There's no in-between.

MariStar-Man
09-07-2009, 02:38 AM
the third picture depicts the wear on the shaft, and the final pic is an orientation photo for those of us still learning.

How much wear can a shaft have before it needs to be replaced?

I would guess any wear, but I don't know...