PDA

View Full Version : 2009 optional battery charger

sand2snow22
11-08-2008, 11:08 PM
I don't know if this has been talked about, but I found out today that you can get a new 2009 MC with a battery charger. They call it a charger, but it sounds more like a maintainer/tender. Talk about convenient. Just plug it into your outlet in the garage! FWIW I was told you can retrofit this system for older boats. Price was out of my league, though.

scramison
11-09-2008, 04:05 AM
You can get a battery tender for less than $40. All the rest is just some wiring. So why bother paying MC for the expensive parts?

WakePowell
11-09-2008, 08:15 AM
I have the battery charger/maintainer on my new '09 and love it. Considering that on the 2009 models when you switch the batteries to the off position there are several circuits left open such as the memory for the radio, VIDIG and bilge pumps having the boat plugged in insures you are ready to go.
As far as the price goes you may be able to save a few pennies buying a batter tender and installing it yourself on a 2009 model but the Mastercraft installation is done very nice. The charge/maintainer is mounted right next to the battery switch and the power plug is installed cleanly through the interior seat support. If you are retrofitting an older boat I suggest you study the Mastercraft system and installation. Hopefully you can buy an identical one over the counter.