PDA

View Full Version : Convince me not to buy a Tige!!

capnkirk52
11-07-2008, 10:39 AM
I know I know what you are going to say!!! I have a 07' X-Star PWT edition and I love it, but I have been looking at the new RZ2 and RZ4 and starting to like them.

Two assumptions can be made about this question.
1. The X-star is more boat than we need for boarding and surfing. Most riders in my group are novice.
2. I'm looking to go from an 07 to an 09 boat with very little money in my estimation.

I don't know anyone with a Tige and I don't know much about them soooooo, tell me why I shouldn't!!!

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/1516/tigevr6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Flame suit on!!!

flipper
11-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Because every time you see a MC go buy, you'll wish you could be like them

Upper Michigan Prostar190
11-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Buy a forklift instead.

Gonzo
11-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Because I wouldnt give my 91 190 in even trade for a new tige

Ok I cant even say that with a straight face ;)

flipper
11-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Freddy will be along in a few to explain everything to you.

ttu
11-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Quality.

when i was looking to get a new ride i looked at the rz2 and the x2. went thru both in regards to every detail and the mastercraft won hands down.

i was coming from a 05 supra and the tige dealer was going to give me 4K more for my supra than the mc dealer. ended up just selling my supra myself and bought the better boat.:D

duckguy
11-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Capn- I think you should! I personally love bungee cords to hold down my boards, and resale, who cares about something like that. I mean if you could trade the best wakeboard boat out there for a brand new Tige for no money, hell do it.

RexDog1
11-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Well I have a friend who has a 07 RZ2 it is a nice boat, but the fit and finish compared to a MC falls short, Tige’ has come a long way in the last 2 years but need to work on some things like a Ballast system for their boats, that have the TAPS system OMHO, it is not the best wake….. My friend spent $2500. To put a ballast system in his boat, and he did it himself to save some money, Tige’ wonted $4000. To do it??? There tower??? :eek3: It makes allot of nose creaking, need to work on their board racks not the best design? The ride in the XStar is far superior;:D a test drive will tell you all of this…;). Tige’ is working hard to make a better boat, and they have come a long way, but to compared to MC they have some work to do ……:twocents:…

PendO
11-07-2008, 11:24 AM
trading down for a newer model year ... one thing is certain, your salesman wants to get this deal done:)

djhuff
11-07-2008, 11:33 AM
It should REALLY tell you something when someone offers to give you an '09 boat straight up for an '07. It means a 2 year old MC is worth more than a brand new Tige. Next year, that Tige will have lost around 6-7% minimum of its value, your MC will be down 2-3%.

It may not cost you any money to get the new boat, but the cost of ownership over the next few years will be considerably higher. Save some money over the next two years and get an '11 X Star.

But seriously, go take a test drive, meet the dealer at the lake with your boat, he brings the Tige, then play in both. I'm confident in the decision you'll end up making.

jraben8
11-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Resale, resale, resale... For all of the reasons listed above. Why do you think that the '07 MC is basically the same $$$$$ as the '09 Tige (and think of the depreciation hit you take simply leaving the lot) which would put it as worth even less than the '07 MC.

Yes, new is really nice... but look at the numbers to and think about what each will be worth in 2,4,6 years...

capnkirk52
11-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Keep them comin guys!

I knew I'd hear responses like duckguys and that's cool... I really wanted to hear from people who have taken a ride and know people who have put hours on a Tige. How about the new tower with the wetsounds? Anyone heard how they sound?

Like I said, I love my boat and if quality was comparable I might make the trade...

flipper had the best response though! haha.

RexDog1
11-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Keep them comin guys!

I knew I'd hear responses like duckguys and that's cool... I really wanted to hear from people who have taken a ride and know people who have put hours on a Tige. How about the new tower with the wetsounds? Anyone heard how they sound?

Like I said, I love my boat and if quality was comparable I might make the trade...

flipper had the best response though! haha.

Wetsounds are bad a$$, but heavy???

Maristar210
11-07-2008, 12:03 PM
I'll give you three reasons...

Pop

Creek

Rattle

You will be downsizing in every department and I'd bet you that in two years you'd say to yourself....

"What the hell was I thinking?"

PendO
11-07-2008, 12:04 PM
you should re-wire your tower speakers if you left it factory ... 8 speakers (counting the tweeters as a speaker) ... off two pairs of wires ... is weak ... IMpO (In My Professional Opinion) ... we would trade you an 02 Xstar for your 07 Xstar (if it has the L18) and then you could trade our 02 Xstar for your Tige ... and they should still owe you money. IMpO

No Skeez
11-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Rex really hit on it - the fit and finish will leave something to be desired, to say the least. Plastic components (theirs) compared to aluminum and metal components (ours), hinges that won't hold up over time, softer vinyl at which at first look seems all well and good, but will breakdown within a year or two and leave you sitting on a wet seatbase instead of foam and many other "little things" that in the grand scheme of things are what make a MasterCraft the best built boat out there. Like DJ said above, arrange a side by side comparison. See how the Tige handles rough water compared to your Star. Stereo comparison - not really, MC wins hands down.

Trade in comparison? What comparison? Go to NADA Blue Book (http://www.nadaguides.com) and check values of two year old Tiges compared to original retail, and then do the same for your X-Star. The results should speak for themselves.

Now don't get me wrong, Im not completely opposed to the other brands out there, but I would hate for you to trade in a Bentley for a Cavalier and have your expectations crushed.

Just a thought - If the X-Star is more boat than you are using, and you are dead set on trading in for an '09, how about the X-2? Duckguy for one can confirm just how great of a wake you can get with supplemental ballast in an X-2, plus without the ballast the wake is a lot less intimidating for beginner and intermediate riders.

Bottom line, drive the boats. Im sure if you tell your MC dealer that you are considering another brand, they will be more than happy to let you drive some of the other boats in the MC family.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!

corey
11-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Quality aside you should keep the X-Star for the wake. The X-Star is hands down better for novice, intermediate and pro level riders. The X-Star provides a long smooth take off and landing ramp, riders never get jarred or bumped off axis. The long landing ramp also makes for MUCH smoother landings compared to boats where you land in the flats.

The smoother take off and landing leads to more rider confidence, more tricks landed and faster progression. Let's be honest, pro riders can throw down behind anything, its the rest of us that can use the X-Star to its fullest potential.

duckguy
11-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Hey Capn. My response was a more comical way of saying what everyone else is. I suppose my experience of owning a 85 stars and stripes, 92 BF200, 96 PS 190, 04x2,06x2,07x2, and my new 40th x-star would mean I am an MC guy. Personally I think that if you are even considering such a move you should. Really, I am not joking. If the huge negatives associated with a move like that don't stare you down, then you should do the trade and let someone who can not only appreciate the boat you have but also the brand. Trade an X-star for a new Tige, come on, really!

duckguy
11-07-2008, 12:12 PM
No skeez is correct anout the ballasted x2 wake, as is corey. My empty X-star wake is small, not scary in the least and has a great, great shape.

coz
11-07-2008, 12:12 PM
I'll give you three reasons...

Pop

Creek

Rattle

I have friends with those Tige problems :rolleyes:

flipper
11-07-2008, 12:14 PM
I have friends :rolleyes:

Okay:D:D..

capnkirk52
11-07-2008, 12:14 PM
I can see the obvious reasons, what I wanted to hear from you guys were reasons I haven't thought of.

Keep them coming if ya got some more!!!

capnkirk52
11-07-2008, 12:15 PM
No skeez is correct anout the ballasted x2 wake, as is corey. My empty X-star wake is small, not scary in the least and has a great, great shape.

I guess my problem is crew. When we go out, we take everyone and that loads the boat down a bit.

03 35th Anniversary
11-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Go look at a used 07 Tige with the same amount of hours you have.

Then you will see the quailty difference.

Also you will beable to see the resale difference in the 2 boats.

capnkirk52
11-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Hey Capn. My response was a more comical way of saying what everyone else is. I suppose my experience of owning a 85 stars and stripes, 92 BF200, 96 PS 190, 04x2,06x2,07x2, and my new 40th x-star would mean I am an MC guy. Personally I think that if you are even considering such a move you should. Really, I am not joking. If the huge negatives associated with a move like that don't stare you down, then you should do the trade and let someone who can not only appreciate the boat you have but also the brand. Trade an X-star for a new Tige, come on, really!

I do love this boat and this brand, it's why I bought it in the first place.

corey
11-07-2008, 12:24 PM
How about the fact that you'll never have to lie to someone by saying your boat "is as good as a MasterCraft"!

CarlosCabanas
11-07-2008, 12:26 PM
I guess my problem is crew. When we go out, we take everyone and that loads the boat down a bit.

I'm not sure about this but...... maybe try filling the front ballasts when you are loaded down to get a smaller wake??? Can anyone with a x-star confirm my thoughts? I'm sure the handling would go to the crapper though...

capnkirk52
11-07-2008, 12:27 PM
How about the fact that you'll never have to lie to someone by saying your boat "is as good as a MasterCraft"!

Yeah, I know. I just wanted to see if they had caught up with the new 09 RZ boats...

03 35th Anniversary
11-07-2008, 12:28 PM
I take it that an RZ2 is a 22' boat and a RZ4 is a 24'???

cbryan70
11-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Well, One of my buddies has a tige. I beleive its a 99 or so. Has about 1000 hours on it. All I will say is his hull is warped and tige wont honer there warrenty........

capnkirk52
11-07-2008, 12:30 PM
I take it that an RZ2 is a 22' boat and a RZ4 is a 24'???

you are correct, sir.

wakeX2wake
11-07-2008, 12:32 PM
ok on the wake/ability issue... this is easily solved... KILL IT... get out there and ride and get better... aside from that... empty the ballast and leave a few of the beer drinkers at home and take more riders to lighten the load... you have a great wake behind that boat and going to a different boat WILL NOT make you a better rider... that is the most agressive and forgiving wake in the world... as you get better add line and weight...

personally i rode behind and in a RZ4 this spring... the boat had 6 hrs on it... it was a piece... everything in it felt cheap... (not knowing) i asked the dealer what kind of ballast it had in it... he said these don't need ballast due to hull design... i laughed... i rode... and i told him he was wrong... and i was demoing it at a rail jam competition... when he was dropping me back off at my boat he told me i needed to bring my x2 by and we'd talk about a trade... i laughed at him as me and my buddy were stepping from platform to platform and i said will you trade me two of those for my x2... he said you're really an MC guy huh?... i said yep until somebody else makes anything close

the rz4 and rz2 wake are small and have no lip... did not like the wake... i wouldn't attempt one but my buddy threw an OHH behind it and all but got owned (he did this to show up the hyperlite and cwb regional riders none of which had a raley based anything)... i've never seen a raley THAT close to the water

capnkirk52
11-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Well, One of my buddies has a tige. I beleive its a 99 or so. Has about 1000 hours on it. All I will say is his hull is warped and tige wont honer there warrenty........

That sucks but 1000 hrs is a good life.

cbryan70
11-07-2008, 12:34 PM
It did not have that many hours when it warped........with there LIFETIME warrenty on there hull you would think they would honor it no?

ChicagoX55
11-07-2008, 12:35 PM
They will never catch up to MC. MC does all the reasearch and builds the best boats, then others steal the ideas years later. The Tige is built for a different price point for a different buyer. If money isnt the problem then you shouldnt even be thinking this. Cheaper boats are made to get more people on the water and more people riding, but this comes with much more headache than owning an MC.

flipper
11-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Just by the friggin thing so we can laugh at ya

capnkirk52
11-07-2008, 12:38 PM
School me on the cabin of the boat, materials used, storage, electronics, anything else I haven't thought of.

It's kinda nice playing a poor mans devils advocate haha. You'd almost think this was a McCain/Obama thread!

capnkirk52
11-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Just by the friggin thing so we can laugh at ya

:uglyhamme

03 35th Anniversary
11-07-2008, 12:44 PM
If your interested in a brand new 09.

The MasterCraft Fan Fare would be a great place for you to an up grade with little to no money out of pocket.

I will see if I can find the link....

Loffgren
11-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Because your smarter than that. IMHO you wouldnt have to ask us if you knew it was a good decision...just my 2 cents..

6ballsisall
11-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Don't do it

No Skeez
11-07-2008, 12:54 PM
School me on the cabin of the boat, materials used, storage, electronics, anything else I haven't thought of.

MC vs. Other
- Metal housing Jabsco ballast pumps vs... Oh wait, no ballast pumps. Optional ballast pumps are plastic, IIRC.
- Metal key switch vs. plastic key switch. Can I tell you how many (insert competitors brand here) we have running around our area with MC key switches now?
- Stereo. Sure Wetsounds are loud, but what about sound quality compared to JL? What kind of stereo sound are you looking for? Quality or Loudness?
- Snap out carpet in entire boat vs. snap out bow liner only.
- Our swivel racks vs. theirs. No Comparison. Bungee Cords - really?
- Already hit on vinyl and foam for upholstery.

capnkirk52
11-07-2008, 12:57 PM
MC vs. Other
- Metal housing Jabsco ballast pumps vs... Oh wait, no ballast pumps. Optional ballast pumps are plastic, IIRC.
- Metal key switch vs. plastic key switch. Can I tell you how many (insert competitors brand here) we have running around our area with MC key switches now?
- Stereo. Sure Wetsounds are loud, but what about sound quality compared to JL? What kind of stereo sound are you looking for? Quality or Loudness?
- Snap out carpet in entire boat vs. snap out bow liner only.
- Our swivel racks vs. theirs. No Comparison. Bungee Cords - really?
- Already hit on vinyl and foam for upholstery.

Thanks... any more info like this would be helpful!

Itsme
11-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Performance, options, and build are all paramount in deciding what your purchase will be.

The towboat catagory is a very competitive market.
Virtually all proper towboats are very well / over-built when compared to basic runabouts with the exception of Cobalt-like product.

Buying a performance towboat is a big investment. Although boats are toys, they are very expensive toys. If you can make the initial investment in a MC or other major brand, you will have a more valuable and marketable toy later when you want to upgrade.

Also - buy picking up a well cared for 07, you are getting around the initial depreciation that hits as soon as you drop the boat in the water for the first time.

Marketibility later on - How many people out there are looking specifically for an 09 Tige vs a newer MC? Probably more interest in the MC I would imagine. The MC would be easier to sell outright and more valuable on trade to a dealer.

Buy the MC or another major brand. They are built better, perform better and will be better back to you at resale time.

Good luck!
cb

corey
11-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Just some of the quanitfiable differences
http://www.waterskis.com/What-Makes-MasterCraft-Boats-The-Best-s/176.htm

PendO
11-07-2008, 01:21 PM
GO TEST DRIVE/RIDE IN/BEHIND ONE ... only way to tell ... sure as heck not going to get an honest opinion from us koolaid drinkers

PendO
11-07-2008, 01:22 PM
good thing with a tige, you don't have to winterize it ... just park it in the middle of the lake

hey coz, make yourself useful and find us a picture of the TigeCicle!

duckguy
11-07-2008, 01:23 PM
I say just let him go. The thread my Tige sucks and it's going to cost me 30k to get a new X-star will be much more fun.

No Skeez
11-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Just some of the quanitfiable differences
http://www.waterskis.com/What-Makes-MasterCraft-Boats-The-Best-s/176.htm

Sweet Spinners on the delivery van...

Live Help offline this morning? What's up with that?

Sodar
11-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Koolaid is good. It is good to be passionate about a product.

Capn... if you want the boat, get on it. Since you are trying to be talked out of the purchase, my guess is that you deep down do not want it. I know that I do the same thing when I know I am making a bad choice....

wakeX2wake
11-07-2008, 01:26 PM
took this the day i demoed the RZ4...

this should be a billboard... truth in advertising... sorry about the quality took it w/ the crackberry

capnkirk52
11-07-2008, 01:31 PM
I say just let him go. The thread my Tige sucks and it's going to cost me 30k to get a new X-star will be much more fun.

lol.:toast:

capnkirk52
11-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Koolaid is good. It is good to be passionate about a product.

Capn... if you want the boat, get on it. Since you are trying to be talked out of the purchase, my guess is that you deep down do not want it. I know that I do the same thing when I know I am making a bad choice....

Sounds like what I'm thinkin'. I know this is a MC site but I thought there would be at least a few good comments about the tige come out but the substance of that boat must not be there.

capnkirk52
11-07-2008, 01:35 PM
wake2wake.... I was thinking about the RZ boats with the picklefork and the new tower.

Sodar
11-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Sounds like what I'm thinkin'. I know this is a MC site but I thought there would be at least a few good comments about the tige come out but the substance of that boat must not be there.

My family owned a 1999 and it was less than stellar. Almost 10 years ago, I know, but still.

aredub
11-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Alright, first time poster, but daily lurker. Anyway, saw this post and finally decided to chime in, since I thought I was going to be a life long Tige customer. When it came time this year to get out of my 05 24V, I had my heart set on the RZ4 (I’ve been told that they share the same hull (24V and RZ4)). Long story short, we (the Tige dealer and I) were never really close on the numbers so I started shopping. Went to Supra, Nautique, and finally MasterCraft (never considered Malibu). End up with an X45.
To be honest, looks wise, I really like the RZs as well, and the interior has been much improved since even the 08s. I never really had any issues with any of my Tiges; they were always a good boat to me as was my dealer. I’m not going to try and convince you not to buy a Tige (I think they are great), but rather share my experience with them. My main gripe with Tige is the wake always seemed washed out. Granted I never ran any weight other than people and gear, but that’s what TAPS was for, right? Anyway, that was Tige’s claim to fame back in the day. My wife is still a rec skier and feels that the X45’s wake is softer and cleaner than that of the Tige. As previously posted, Tige still has issues with ballast which just seems crazy to me. The fit and finish on Tiges is great, but not nearly that of MasterCraft which is superb to me. The MasterCraft just seems to all around kick a** compared to the Tige. It’s faster (which actually does matter to me since I frequent Lake Mead), handles the chop better, and we can surf, board, and ski clean wakes. In reality, I could have purchased any wakeboat that I desired, but in the end the MasterCraft won out. I guess I never really knew what I was missing by not shopping MasterCraft from day one. Good luck.

PS. Thanks Roonie for the awesome ballast thread. Did your install about a week after I got my MasterCraft.

capnkirk52
11-07-2008, 01:42 PM
aredub... Good first post. Thanks!

corey
11-07-2008, 02:00 PM
No Skeez, doesnt your online delivery van have spinners? Dang, I thought those were standard by now!

No online chat this morning, Johns busy reworking a bunch of html and can't be bothered, he's just to ugly to look at so they used my beutiful mug.

captain planet
11-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Found inside a thought bubble over my head, ("Am I really posting on this thread???"). I must be a loyal customer or something. Ok Capnkirk, here you go. You liked the last list, here is this one.

The windshields on an MC,...you can do dips on them. You can hang from the windshield and do dips. Check the window stantion on a Tige and the rest of the windshield.

There are no shocks on hinged seats on a Tige. (at least there didn't used to be)

The ski pylon frame on a Tige is made of steel and is LAGGED into the stringers. The pylon frame on an MC is aluminum and is screwed into tapped steel that is laminated into the fiberglass.

Tige also laggs their engines to thier stringers. MC uses tapped steel laminated in the stringers and uses bolts.

Tige offers an optional ballast system then tries to sell the TAPS system and say it will do the same thing as ballast.

If you could remove the rubrail on a Tige...there is NO WAY you would buy one. It ain't pretty. MC uses a shoe-box fit for their decks and hulls.

Tige uses a Walters V-drive that is as noisy as a John Deere. MC transmissions are quiet.

Tige seat bases are lag screwed into penske board on the floor. Look at the seat bases compared to MC's.

Storage, Storage, Storage. Tige (and the rest of the pack) fall WAY behind MC when it comes to storage. You can fit between 5 and 6 people in the storage areas of an X-Star. You are lucky to fit a wakeboard in the storage areas in a Tige

Tige...no standard cruise control, no standard stereo, 34 oz. vinyl interior (compared to 38 or 40 oz. I can't remember).

Tige may still use aluminum fuel tanks (which can condensate), MC uses plastic.

Backing Plates, Backing Plates, Backing Plates. EVERY screw and bolt on an MC has a backing plate...period. EVERYTHING. If there is a bolt or screw in fiberglass on an MC, it has a backing plate laminated in the fiberglass. From the D-rings that can lift the boat to the little screws used to hold the bow lights on there are backing plates. Tige uses washers.

Tige used a fiberboard floor in their boats unlike MC where the floor is part of the deck, all molded fiberglass like an offshore race boat. This may have changed as Tige has tried to catch up, but you may want to check on that.

The RZ2 is 2 inches wider than an X-star, 3 inches shorter....but weighs 350 pounds less. Where do you think all that weight went???? .....less fiberglass. MC hulls are much more substantial than Tige. Also the RZ2 has a 47 gallon tank, the X-star has a 57 gallon tank.

I hope this helps.

captain planet
11-07-2008, 02:18 PM
That photo of the Tige above, I always wondered how much stress is put on the deck when the tower only has ONE mounting point on the deck. Malibu does the same thing, they did it first actually. Check under the rail of the deck to see how that tower is mounted. I looked under the deck of a bu a the boatshow last year....they used 12 (6 on each side) 1/4" bolts with.......WASHERS to back them up to hold on that entire tower!:eek3: Are you kidding me? Have a guy that is 250 pounds take an agressive cut toward the wake and measure how much stress is on that tower. Sorry, not for this cowboy.

wakeX2wake
11-07-2008, 02:21 PM
wake2wake.... I was thinking about the RZ boats with the picklefork and the new tower.

yea the RZ4 is what i rode behind... the pickefork looks like crap BTW... not as cool as the MC pickelfork but not as bad as the MB... that was just another boat the sponsoring dealership had out there to keep people slowed down who were coming in and out of the area where the comp was... thought it was funny and had to get a pic... they wanted me to put one on my boat but i told them we weren't going to be there long... and we weren't we rode and split to go do some real riding... haha some guys brought us our trophies later that day on the good water

capnkirk52
11-07-2008, 02:42 PM
captain planet... Exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

captain planet
11-07-2008, 02:43 PM
My pleasure. ;)

Doug G
11-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Since the technical reasons have been covered, let's get down to it. You don't want a Tige but it would be an acceptable purchase. That's why your here. You get what you pay for and you want us to help you feel better about spending the rest of the money.

UMP is in charge of hugs, he'll be along shortly...

We can spew adnauseum about why MC's are the best (and many other things :) ) but that's not really it is it?
Life is short, live for no regrets and enjoy it.

TMCNo1
11-07-2008, 03:47 PM
"Convince me not to buy a Tige!!"

You gotta be kiddin' me!

Do you buy food from the counter from McDonald's or eat from their dumpster?

03 35th Anniversary
11-07-2008, 03:49 PM
"Convince me not to buy a Tige!!"

You gotta be kiddin' me!

Do you buy food from the counter from McDonald's or eat from their dumpster?

Whats the difference????

Ski-me
11-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Strickly finacially speaking, if you purchased the MC new, the largest depreciation is in the first 1-2 years. So you have already taken that hit. If you now buy a new Tige', you are once again, taking the largest depreciation hit.....again! Basically throwing a lot of money away.

Stick with the MC and be glad you didn't compromise just to get the "new smell" of a new boat. I certainly wouldn't want to take that hit....especially with a toy.

capnkirk52
11-07-2008, 04:28 PM
I was 99% sure I did not want to trade but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any huge improvements from other companies in the last couple years.

100% sure I'm gonna stay MC now.

Thanks for the help.

03 35th Anniversary
11-07-2008, 04:41 PM
I was 99% sure I did not want to trade but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any huge improvements from other companies in the last couple years.

100% sure I'm gonna stay MC now.

Thanks for the help.

Besides everything else that was said....

The 07 PWT is a sweet looking boat......

Doug G
11-07-2008, 04:43 PM
glad to hear it. Now have a beer and a sammich!

wakeX2wake
11-07-2008, 04:51 PM
i'll be honest... i believe most life lessons are truly learned through the good 'ole i screwed up and i now i know method... some call this trial and error... but this is a lesson you shouldn't have to learn first hand... but next time you feel the urge to buy a over hyped lower end boat then swing for the fences and you'll later be able to come back to tell us about it here... enjoy your star... i want one myself... i just can't justify a bigger boat before a bigger house when i can do all i want behind the one i have

Doug G
11-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Sure you can... You just need to be alittle creative, and don't let logic and facts get into the process. Try thinking like UMP and you will be surprised what you can justify.

wakeX2wake
11-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Sure you can... You just need to be alittle creative, and don't let logic and facts get into the process. Try thinking like UMP and you will be surprised what you can justify.

haha that's what i DON'T NEED TO DO... i'm in the hole bad enough as it is w/ a house truck and boat... all less than 2 yrs old... i'm just thankful i'm still not upside down... truck i am but boat and house more than make up the difference

RexDog1
11-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Alright, first time poster, but daily lurker. Anyway, saw this post and finally decided to chime in, since I thought I was going to be a life long Tige customer. When it came time this year to get out of my 05 24V, I had my heart set on the RZ4 (I’ve been told that they share the same hull (24V and RZ4)). Long story short, we (the Tige dealer and I) were never really close on the numbers so I started shopping. Went to Supra, Nautique, and finally MasterCraft (never considered Malibu). End up with an X45.
To be honest, looks wise, I really like the RZs as well, and the interior has been much improved since even the 08s. I never really had any issues with any of my Tiges; they were always a good boat to me as was my dealer. I’m not going to try and convince you not to buy a Tige (I think they are great), but rather share my experience with them. My main gripe with Tige is the wake always seemed washed out. Granted I never ran any weight other than people and gear, but that’s what TAPS was for, right? Anyway, that was Tige’s claim to fame back in the day. My wife is still a rec skier and feels that the X45’s wake is softer and cleaner than that of the Tige. As previously posted, Tige still has issues with ballast which just seems crazy to me. The fit and finish on Tiges is great, but not nearly that of MasterCraft which is superb to me. The MasterCraft just seems to all around kick a** compared to the Tige. It’s faster (which actually does matter to me since I frequent Lake Mead), handles the chop better, and we can surf, board, and ski clean wakes. In reality, I could have purchased any wakeboat that I desired, but in the end the MasterCraft won out. I guess I never really knew what I was missing by not shopping MasterCraft from day one. Good luck.

PS. Thanks Roone for the awesome ballast thread. Did your install about a week after I got my MasterCraft.

Here is a link to the ballast system I helped put into a RZ2

http://tige-ballast-install.blogspot.com/ (http://tige-ballast-install.blogspot.com/)

It came out nice, and works well, very good wake now…….

That is me drilling the hole in the bottom of the boat OMG it was so much fun drilling into someone’s boat :D:rolleyes:

sand2snow22
11-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Pendo is a professional. Tige's are only good for the winter. MC's in the summer....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=433308&postcount=60

Jim@BAWS
11-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Your thought processs is FLAWWED

What is the price for the Tige compared to what you paid for the MC?
What will be the price of the TIGE WORTH in 2-3 years?

Getting into a NEW boat at what price?

DO THE MATH

KEEP THE MC

MSRP TO MSRP

Good luck on your quest

KEEP THE MC

Jim@BAWS

I know I know what you are going to say!!! I have a 07' X-Star PWT edition and I love it, but I have been looking at the new RZ2 and RZ4 and starting to like them.

Two assumptions can be made about this question.
1. The X-star is more boat than we need for boarding and surfing. Most riders in my group are novice.
2. I'm looking to go from an 07 to an 09 boat with very little money in my estimation.

I don't know anyone with a Tige and I don't know much about them soooooo, tell me why I shouldn't!!!

Flame suit on!!!

dapicatti
11-07-2008, 10:36 PM
OK, I am late to the game but seriously???? Trade your 07 PWT for a Tige??? You have an amazing boat, with incredible graphics and one of the most unique packages out there- like the
40th Anniversary boats--and you want to become one of the regular guys in a sub par boat???
OK I am biased because I have the same boat, but I would never trade it for a Tige----ever.
Not even the same caliber of boat, not even the same league.

PHEW!! I feel better now.