PDA

View Full Version : Putting green

justinlkgb
11-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Anybody ever put a putting green in their house?

cold winter,and need something at home to do!:D

flipper
11-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Better check with Hollywood, this doesn't have anything to do with boats or botes, and may be considered spam.

As for your question, I have put one in at a friends house. It was a really small one. The reel mower will kill you. Those things don't come cheap. Other then that, no big deal as far as putting it in.

funk
11-06-2008, 01:15 PM
A buddy of mine just put in an artificial one with about 5 holes. Not sure on the brand but tons of drinking and gambling fun with very low maintenance.

Datdude
11-06-2008, 04:14 PM
my parents had one in the basement at their last house. Lot of good times!

wakeX2wake
11-06-2008, 04:22 PM
artificial would be the way to go for sure... very tightly packed sand/soil combo under a really nice artificial turf... i'd check w/ a golf course super or someone of the type... they have artificial green at a really nice driving range very near here and there's a big difference between the one that has the soil/sand and the one that's just flat w/ concrete underneath... it's pretty neat you can mound it up under there and have some really nice breaks and such... low to no maintenance

SkiDog
11-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Seems like a lot of maintenence to me.

justinlkgb
11-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Yeah I should have mentioned this....it is artificial. Its minnesota.

I found plans and have that part done, but its the surface. There are sooo many choices and some range from really expensive and some are just cheap. My problem is finding the happy in between. It either rolls to fast or too slow. Some other boards have mentioned marine carpet.

Anyone have photos.

Looking for cheap fun, and make my game better!

justinlkgb
11-06-2008, 05:09 PM
A buddy of mine just put in an artificial one with about 5 holes. Not sure on the brand but tons of drinking and gambling fun with very low maintenance.

Yeah funk...thats what I'm talking about!:D

mattsn
11-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Do not use marine carpet, it will not provide a natural like surface. I have a small one in my home and use the same material used at indoor driving ranges and putting areas. Lots of options on the 'net.

justinlkgb
11-06-2008, 05:37 PM

Do not use marine carpet, it will not provide a natural like surface. I have a small one in my home and use the same material used at indoor driving ranges and putting areas. Lots of options on the 'net.

Nice to hear from someone who has been there. What kind of turf did you end up using???

Harvey
11-06-2008, 07:19 PM
My grandfather, my father and I put a Bentgrass putting green in my grandfather's backyard 18 years ago. It was unreal, but my grandfather paid me to mow it twice a week in a criss cross pattern and I am pretty sure he fertilized it at least once a month. The putting green was about 2500 square feet and we moved the pin locations often. I wish I had pictures of it.

If you live up north then artificial is the way to go. I know someone who installs artificial greens here in Texas but that doesn't help you. I know how to do a real one but the artificial one seems like a pain to put in. I gather that it is all about the base you put it on which is the same as the real stuff.

justinlkgb
11-06-2008, 07:26 PM
My grandfather, my father and I put a Bentgrass putting green in my grandfather's backyard 18 years ago. It was unreal, but my grandfather paid me to mow it twice a week in a criss cross pattern and I am pretty sure he fertilized it at least once a month. The putting green was about 2500 square feet and we moved the pin locations often. I wish I had pictures of it.

If you live up north then artificial is the way to go. I know someone who installs artificial greens here in Texas but that doesn't help you. I know how to do a real one but the artificial one seems like a pain to put in. I gather that it is all about the base you put it on which is the same as the real stuff.

Man that would be awesome, except for the constant upkeep...

Datdude
11-07-2008, 05:37 PM
I think my parents used the SportCourt turf, but I could be wrong. I remember seeing the literature at their house.

www.sportcourt.com

TX.X-30 fan
11-08-2008, 10:39 AM
I think my parents used the SportCourt turf, but I could be wrong. I remember seeing the literature at their house.

www.sportcourt.com

Did they need a forklift to install it.

Datdude
11-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Did they need a forklift to install it.

F........A........H...........Q:cool:

TX.X-30 fan
11-08-2008, 05:32 PM
F........A........H...........Q:cool:

Not into texting so I've not got a clue.

Harvey
11-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Man that would be awesome, except for the constant upkeep...

I wish I had pictures. It was an awesome place to practice, I still occasionally have a three putt and I usually blame it on not having a place to practice anymore.