PDA

View Full Version : Buying stuff onlinie from private parties

jsonova99
05-06-2005, 02:09 PM
I'm looking to see what everybody thinks about this subject. Should I be suspicious if somebody is selling something privately and will only take a money order instead of a personal check? I never really thought about it before and I never had a problem, but lately I've been putting more thought into it. I mean the only difference is that the personal check takes longer to clear and there is more of a paper trail, right?

LakePirate
05-06-2005, 02:11 PM
A money order "guarantees" the money. You have to provide the cash upfront to get the money order. It is just a way to avoid getting a bad check.

jsonova99
05-06-2005, 02:12 PM
A money order "guarantees" the money. You have to provide the cash upfront to get the money order. It is just a way to avoid getting a bad check.

True, but is there any way to follow up on a money order if you don;t get your goods? I mean with a personal check you atleast know the bank and account it was deposited into, can they track a money order like this?

bcampbe7
05-06-2005, 02:15 PM
Since I have started using PayPal, that is all I use. I prefer not to use MO's or check. Not sure if MO can be tracked. I would imagine that they can.

ski_king
I believe most sellers that want a money order because of the possibility of a bounced check and the $20.00 plus fee they would have.

As a buyer, I have used a postal money order (USPS). I am told that if the seller is fraudulent, they have committed mail fraud, which is a federal offence and you have more to go after them with.

jsonova99
If you send a personal check, once it clears, the seller has his money, too, it just takes longer. So if they wait to ship the goods unitl the check clears, then it's essentially the same thing. I don't know, I was just curious, I was going to buy a brush guard for my truck, and I found a good deal online and I was just trying to think of some ways to safeguard myself from being screwed over if the seller was a fraud.

bcampbe7
05-06-2005, 02:17 PM
Brushguard for the LR?
If you send the MO to an address, not a PO box, you should be OK. I wouldn't deal with someone with a PO Box. Do they not use PayPal?

jsonova99
05-06-2005, 02:17 PM
I believe most sellers that want a money order because of the possibility of a bounced check and the $20.00 plus fee they would have.

As a buyer, I have used a postal money order (USPS). I am told that if the seller is fraudulent, they have committed postal fraud, which is a federal offence and you have more to go after them with.

I forgot about bad check fees, good point. Good info, thanks guys.

LakePirate
05-06-2005, 02:18 PM
The money order will be made out to an individual and they have to show proper ID to cash or deposit it. I am pretty sure that it can be tracked in the case of goods not being recieved.

LakePirate
05-06-2005, 02:19 PM
I want to know where you can get a returned check fee for only 20 bucks?
They are up to $35 at some banks.

Ryan
05-06-2005, 02:22 PM
If I were to take a personal check and there were insufficient funds, or it was otherwise bogus, my bank would charge me $30. However, they can clear a money order right away and if it is bogus, I don't get stung.

Downside is most banks charge at least $5 for you to create a money order. I don't know why, when you can do it at the Post Office for so much less. If you are really leary try using a third party broker that will take your payment and tell the seller funds were recieved and to ship to you. Once you recieve the item and are satisfied you contact the broker and they will send the funds to the seller.

Even easier is to just use Paypal and you're covered.

jsonova99
05-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Brushguard for the LR?
If you send the MO to an address, not a PO box, you should be OK. I wouldn't deal with someone with a PO Box. Do they not use PayPal?

No, it's an ad on Land Rover Exchange. He has a brand new genuine
A-frame in black for $150 and a chrome one for $300, can't beat that. I personally prefer black so it's a great buy. I wanted the full guard, but a new A-frame at that price is fine to mount a few Hella 1000s on and dress the front up a little. I did let him know that I would only send it to a home address not a PO Box or company or anything. I have no reason to think he's a fraud, but atlesat when you buy on Ebay, people have feedback so you have something to base your trust on when sending money.

erkoehler
05-06-2005, 02:28 PM
I know my bank is 30.00 fee for any NSF check.

John B
05-06-2005, 02:31 PM
One of the reasons the seller will ask for a money and not a personal check is they can ship when they get it,and not have to check their bank account to make sure the check has cleared.
If you have a lot of business it is hard to keep track of what has been ship and what has not.
That is why most sellers like PayPal.

jsonova99
05-06-2005, 02:34 PM
One of the reasons the seller will ask for a money and not a personal check is they can ship when they get it,and not have to check their bank account to make sure the check has cleared.
If you have a lot of business it is hard to keep track of what has been ship and what has not.
That is why most sellers like PayPal.

I'm sure I will be fine, I just worry more about these things today than I did 2 or 3 years back. It's just such a great deal that I hate to pass it up.

bcampbe7
05-06-2005, 02:38 PM
No, it's an ad on Land Rover Exchange. He has a brand new genuine
A-frame in black for $150 and a chrome one for $300, can't beat that. I personally prefer black so it's a great buy. I wanted the full guard, but a new A-frame at that price is fine to mount a few Hella 1000s on and dress the front up a little. I did let him know that I would only send it to a home address not a PO Box or company or anything. I have no reason to think he's a fraud, but atlesat when you buy on Ebay, people have feedback so you have something to base your trust on when sending money.

$150 is a great price. I agree, black would look better. An A-bar will dress the front up very nicely. I have the full brushguard on mine with some Hellas. You may already know this, and I'm in no way trying to discourage you from buying it, but the stock brushguards are not very strong. If you do a lot of offroading I would not see the thing holding up. However, I have never seen an A-bar up close. They may be much stronger.

jsonova99
05-06-2005, 02:46 PM
$150 is a great price. I agree, black would look better. An A-bar will dress the front up very nicely. I have the full brushguard on mine with some Hellas. You may already know this, and I'm in no way trying to discourage you from buying it, but the stock brushguards are not very strong. If you do a lot of offroading I would not see the thing holding up. However, I have never seen an A-bar up close. They may be much stronger.

They're no different than the standard bars, just don't have the side pieces. I don't do much heavy off-roading these days, I got a lot of that out of my system with my D1 and D90 a few years ago. It's hard to find places down here where it's legal and even then it's just mud and swamp which I personally hate. I like the more technical stuff. Anyway, I generally stick to mild to moderate trail riding these days to find cool places to launch my kayak, no need for a bull bar for that. I wanted to get another ARB like I had on my D1, but with the off-road usage the current Disco gets, it would be a big waste of a thousand dollars. I may modify this truck down the road, but if that's a few years from now and I scrap the A-bar then, I got my $150 worth out of it, especially since it is brand new in the box. Besides, I'm holding out for 2008 when the first of the Defenders from overseas can be legally imported into the US. They're 25 years old, but in my opinion better than the ones we have because they will have diesels and no computer controlled engine management systems!

erkoehler
05-06-2005, 02:46 PM
I'm sure I will be fine, I just worry more about these things today than I did 2 or 3 years back. It's just such a great deal that I hate to pass it up.

Just make sure it isn't a "Too Good to be True" type deal. Ask alot of questions, get photographs from all different angles. Feel out the seller before making a move.

jsonova99
05-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Just make sure it isn't a "Too Good to be True" type deal. Ask alot of questions, get photographs from all different angles. Feel out the seller before making a move.

I've been doing that, he sent me pics and everything, no reason to believe he's jerking me around at all.

erkoehler
05-06-2005, 02:54 PM
:D One more thing, 90% of the time, they won't give you an actual phone number to reach them at if they are not on the up and up.

Hope you get your stuff, and post some pictures of the truck when your done.

east tx skier
05-06-2005, 05:17 PM
I'm pretty sure MOs protect you, too. Can't remember where I read this, but make copies of everything and spend an extra buck or two and send it certified with a return receipt requested. Write a letter memorializing payment and staple everything to it.

Another reason he might want money order instead of paypal is that he doesn't get charged a fee on the transaction like he would if he had a premier ppal acct.

jsonova99
05-07-2005, 12:41 AM
I've talked some more with the guy and I can't see any reason to think he BS'ing me. I think I just stumbled upon a very good deal! :banana:

Leroy
05-07-2005, 01:10 AM
I know it happens, but unless the guy has an address in Nigeria or will give you $10M after you buy this, I wouldn't worry.

But I would confirm the nature of his business, how long has he been in business, does he sell local also, have a store, I'm sure the kind of questions you have been asking.

Checks clear overnight now, so there is less reason to use a MO. He can take a personal check and hold shipment for 1 day until he gets confirmation money is in his account then ship to you. Many on line accounts just take the number from the bottom of your check for payment.

erkoehler
05-07-2005, 02:22 AM
I know that if I send out a check from my bank online, then it takes about a week to arrive to a private party.

6ballsisall
05-07-2005, 09:10 AM
I don't sell a lot of stuff via the web but other than the Mastercraft Calendars sold via this site I wouldn't take personal checks. Mainly it's just a pain in the petute to faciliate and manage checks clearing and not clearing the bank.

MarkP
05-07-2005, 09:37 AM
I just bought a ski at SIA and after the guy sent the ski I sent the check. It worked out ok. Not sure if I would take a PC or not???